*****Spurs 2017 Offseason Thread*****

181,168 Views | 1963 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LawHall88
Deputy Travis Junior
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thinking about Irving and Gasol "playing" defense at the same time gives me chest pains.
flashplayer
AG
I can totally see this:

RC: Hmmm, a guy who isn't happy being the teams number two player. I'm sure that will work out well for us. No reason to hesitate about that. It's not like we've ever done anything like that before.

Pop: As long as you can hold onto Lamarcus, let's do it!
duck79
AG
Gonna be real awkward when LBJ comes to SA next year and Kyrie wants to get moved again
flashplayer
AG
For some reason I feel like Kyrie's chances playing for the Spurs are only a shade above mine.
Guitarsoup
AG
Manu signs 1y18mm deal, gets traded to Cleveland for Kyrie, promptly retires.
Guitarsoup
AG
Anyone else looking forward to the Uncle Drew/Kawhi HEB commercials?
West Texan
AG
Everyone seems to assume that Kyrie wants out because he wants to be the top dog, but has there been anything other than speculation to back that up? Cleveland has been a clown show since the finals ended and Lebron certainly doesn't seem to be sticking around either, maybe he just wants out of Cleveland.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Probably just his excuse. He knows theyre a sinking ship, lebron is probably bailing and Cleveland is going to try and tank. Doesn't want to be apart of a rebuilding team again in the midst of his prime time
superunknown
AG
flashplayer said:

For some reason I feel like Kyrie's chances playing for the Spurs are only a shade above mine.

Pop: So, flashplayer. Have you gotten over yourself yet?

flashplayer: Yes.

Pop:

Pumpkinhead
AG
flashplayer said:

May be true. Spurs don't seem to have the assets to put together a trade that is attractive for Cleveland. Not a two team trade anyways. Per some sports analysts out there.
Ulrich
If I were the Cavs, I'm going all in for one last shot at the title before it all falls apart next off-season. I'm also hoping that winning a title would convince LeBron to stay. That means that i won't trade Kyrie for picks and cash plus average players. I want to break even on the trade in terms of talent today, and if Kyrie doesn't like it that's too bad.

Which, imo, means that any trade the spurs make for Kyrie would probably make the team worse. He's a marvelous ball handler and finisher at the rim, but he has never run a real offense and his defense is atrocious. The Spurs are already starting to look pretty loaded with apathetic defenders; at some point a critical mass will be reached and the defensive culture will be lost. Getting substantial minutes from Gay, Gasol, Irving, and Mills and losing Green, its easy to envision Aldridge regressing back to his Portland form.

I would be a lot more excited about the idea of Irving if the Spurs had a defensive stalwart at center even if he was very limited offensively and another strong defender at the wing.
West Texan
AG
I have no clue what Miami or Minnesota would be willing to give up, but NY could essentially swap Carmelo for Kyrie and both sides get something out of it. Not to mention that he doesn't have a no trade clause, so any team could make an offer.
flashplayer
AG
The Spurs have nothing to trade for Kyrie. Good grief. I'm not the only one who sees that. My statement was an obvious hyperbole. Lighten up Francis.
TyHolden
AG
2 first round picks + the rights to Duncan, Gino, and Parker
Ulrich
flashplayer said:

The Spurs have nothing to trade for Kyrie. Good grief. I'm not the only one who sees that. My statement was an obvious hyperbole. Lighten up Francis.

I think you missed a spurs fan inside joke.
Deputy Travis Junior
flashplayer said:

The Spurs have nothing to trade for Kyrie.
I don't see how that's relevant. Cleveland doesn't even have a GM. Time to fleece 'em good.
gibbs2016
He So y'all would be down to trade for Kyrie ?

Ship dead weight Parker for Irving. Sign Parker to a $1 contract next off season to retire a spur

Cleveland gets cap space
Enzo The Baker
AG
There's no way Cleveland is going to give up being competitive for Lebron's last year.

I honestly don't think a deal happens. Kyrie stays. At least until after next season.
gibbs2016
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/888493088141737984?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spurstalk.com%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D269785%26page%3D2

Irving supposedly said Spurs is one of his preferred destinations
Pumpkinhead
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

There's no way Cleveland is going to give up being competitive for Lebron's last year.

I honestly don't think a deal happens. Kyrie stays. At least until after next season.

Enzo The Baker
AG
That's robbery if NYC gets away with that. Would be the best move they have made in the last 20 years.
superunknown
AG
It was a joke complimenting you tying Pop's running gif and his line from a few seasons ago talking about he prefers players who've gotten over themselves. I meant no disrespect.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

That's robbery if NYC gets away with that. Would be the best move they have made in the last 20 years.
100%

Kyrie is 25 and is better right now than Melo is. Put up 25/6/3 last year on 47/40/91 shooting.

Melo is eight years older with over 1000 NBA games played plus. Last three years of 44/35/83 is not great, especially as he settles for mid range jumpers rather than driving to the hoop more frequently.

A Melo for Kyrie trade is horrible, especially because Love/Melo/Bron all essentially are either a PF or SF/PF. Even adding Derrick Rose, Rose isn't really a difference maker anymore.
ToHntortoFsh
This is all a Pop/Lebron ruse to get kyrie here so Lebron can join us next season. He will hide Danny in his garment bag on the way out.
superunknown
AG
Agree....but...

LbJ, Melo, Love and Rose probably make the finals next year.
Guitarsoup
AG
LBJ, Rose, Love and LaMarcus would probably make the Finals in the East.
superunknown
AG
For sure. I like that lineup for them better.
Guitarsoup
AG
I like that lineup for us much better.
Ag Natural
AG
The mere fact that these comments from Kyrie have leaked out is proof that Cleveland is a shat show. And whoever leaked it is a straight dumbass. It does nothing but hurt anyones chances of making it happen.
Ag Natural
AG
superunknown said:

Agree....but...

LbJ, Melo, Love and Rose probably make the finals next year.

They will definitely be trying to outscore everyone. That's a bottom of the league terrible defense.
Jevertson
AG
As much as Irving wants to be the guy, he needs another ball handler/scorer on the court. Last season with lbj on the bench his numbers were average no matter the lineup.

Kawhi and Butler offer this (at the teams listed as preferred) but nyk not so much. Interestingly, I think based on comments he'd likely go to nyk for Carmelo, where I think he'd struggle.

As a Spurs fan I say get him as long as trade involves Aldridge and isn't too punitive. I am not against the kyrie/Thompson mills/Aldridge trade although we'd have to sweeten the pot and I absolutely love mills. If Minnesota got him, puts them square in the west 2nd tier w okc.

All that said, I think he remains a cav.
superunknown
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I like that lineup for us much better.

Well, now that you mention it...
Pumpkinhead
AG
Irving is a tremendous talent, NBA top-15 quality player, and arguable the best one-on-one player in the league right now.

That said, he doesn't see like a guy who would fit in very well with the Spur's preferred system or coaching staff. Score first PG who dribbles the air out of the ball, is generally uninterested in playing defense, and who wants to be 'The Guy' (so much so that he is apparently unhappy playing with the best player in the world as a teammate on a team that has gone to three straight NBA Finals and almost guaranteed to go to a fourth).

Uh, no. That sort of player would seem like a square peg in a round hole if the Spurs intend to prioritize a team first culture, strong defense, keep the ball moving around (though the Spurs have been seemed to be gradually slipping into a more ISO oriented style offensively as new players have come in to transition out of the Duncan era).

From Cavs point of view, with LeBron + Irving + Love, you KNOW that you will get to the NBA Finals next season. And you KNOW that you will get destroyed by the Warriors when you get there.

Any change the Cavs can realistically make at this point in July isn't going to change much the above equation. They will still get destroyed by the Warriors in June. A change may only add a bit more risk that they might not even be able to win the Eastern Conference next season (though with LeBron that still seems likely no matter what other roster shuffling they do).

You have Irving for two more years under contract, but if he is unhappy enough that you do think it is likely that he leaves Cleveland first chance he can, then you definitely shop around right now trying to see if you can get something perhaps close to an acceptable swap.

Even if the Spurs were interested in Irving (which due to the reasons above I'd be mildly surprised that Spurs management would be super interested), they don't really have the assets to make any kind of two-team trade that the Cavs would go for. Kawhi is untouchable. The Cavs are not going to be interested in Aldridge. Not only is LMA's stock a bit down right now, but he isn't the type of player that the Cavs at all need. Although the Cavs are almost certainly exploring options and talking to folks, they are not in so desperate a situation that they absolutely have to unload Irving right now at bargain bin, dirt cheap prices.

Enzo The Baker
AG
That's a lot of insight for a 'casual NBA fan'.
Quote:

Uh, no. That sort of player would seem like a square peg in a round hole if the Spurs intend to prioritize a team first culture, strong defense, keep the ball moving around (though the Spurs have been seemed to be gradually slipping into a more ISO oriented style offensively as new players have come in to transition out of the Duncan era).

I do agree with this though. The fact that he would be the type of player who couldn't play with someone like Lebron would be kind of a red flag IMO, kind of like Aldridge not being happy in SA.
Ag Natural
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

That's a lot of insight for a 'casual NBA fan'.
Quote:

I do agree with this though. The fact that he would be the type of player who couldn't play with someone like Lebron would be kind of a red flag IMO, kind of like Aldridge not being happy in SA.

It is really strange since the general consensus is that Labron is great to play with at least on the court. I wonder if this is something else. Maybe Kyrie is just tired a living in this world where Labron tries to control everything. Maybe he just wants to play and be one of the guys.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.