*****Spurs 2017 Offseason Thread*****

181,194 Views | 1963 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LawHall88
flashplayer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Where are these reports from? I find it hard to believe a team would give up a lottery pick for renting a declining Aldridge for a year. Unless the Spurs take on a terrible contract in return.

What at this point leads you to believe Aldridge will opt out in 2018? And wherever he goes will be able to give him more money / years for his final contract. I think he opts in unless he goes bonkers next season.
LawHall88
AG
azulAg said:

LawHall88 said:

LMA and the Spurs 1st round pick to SAC for the #5, flip the #5 and Green to N.Y. for Porzingis, sign Paul, win championships. Easy peasy...
Knicks would have to be having a stroke to trade porzingod, then again it is the Knicks
Quote:

After reportedly listening to offers and demanding a king's ransom in return, the New York Knicks now appear to be actively shopping big man Kristaps Porzingis.

The Knicks have made calls to other teams about Porzingis, with the intention of acquiring a top-four pick to draft swingman Josh Jackson, according to The Vertical's Adrian Wojnarowski.
https://www.thescore.com/news/1318455

Phoenix would take Porzingis straight up for the #4 without even stopping to think about it.

And Boston would give up the #3 for him straight up as well. So, if this report is legit...
aggie_fan13
AG
I thought that Phil Jackson denied this ? Edit : I just checked Twitter my bad
LawHall88
AG
aggie_fan13
AG
Knicks fans on suicide watch
flashplayer
AG
Couldn't happen to a better bunch, unless it happened to LAL.

I wonder if the Knicks are dumb enough to take Aldridge and Simmons for Porzingis.
superunknown
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Where are these reports from? I find it hard to believe a team would give up a lottery pick for renting a declining Aldridge for a year. Unless the Spurs take on a terrible contract in return.
this one is from a radio guy in PHX

Deputy Travis Junior
LawHall88 said:

LMA and the Spurs 1st round pick to SAC for the #5, flip the #5 and Green to N.Y. for Porzingis, sign Paul, win championships. Easy peasy...
Did Phil Jackson hire Isiah Thomas (the old one) as GM when I wasn't looking?
Guitarsoup
AG
So who would we want in the top 5?

Jon Issac? Zac Collins? Josh Jackson if we are trading away Green, too.
Ulrich
I'm not sure I've ever bothered to look at lottery picks, so no idea how to draft at that level.
Enzo The Baker
AG
At this point I think the Spurs should be in a win now mode with Kawhi. Drafting a prospect in the lottery and waiting another 3-5 for them to develop into a stud doesn't make a lot of sense.

But if you believe it's the Warrior's league for that time anyways maybe it would be worthwhile.
Guitarsoup
AG
Quick look at nbadraft.net and most of the top guys are 1s and 2s.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Also if we traded LA for a lottery guy that might make the Spurs less enticing to Paul who wants a ring now.
Guitarsoup
AG
"I really wanted to sign with ____ but LaMarcus Aldridge is the missing link to a Championship and they don't have him"

This is something that has never been said by anyone.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I know every one is down on LA for not stepping up against the Warriors. I was even one of those people. Not having Kawhi made everyone look a lot worse on our team. But he's still someone who can get a double-double, knows the Spurs system, and would compliment Paul nicely.

We dont get to the conference finals without Aldridge last year.
Enzo The Baker
AG
And it's more than just LaMarcus. It's having a knit group in place with a plan ready for Paul to try and win a championship.
Guitarsoup
AG
LMA averaged 16.5/7.8 in 34 minutes in the playoffs as the highest paid player.

He had a double-double just 25% of the time. He had over 20 points just 18.8% of the time. He scored 15 or less 43% of the time.

He's a chump. Your highest paid player needs to show up more than a couple times in the playoffs.
Enzo The Baker
AG
For the amount of money he makes, he definitely underperformed in the playoffs and the regular season at times. But I'm also not convinced he was fully healthy towards the end of the season.
GatorAg03
AG
Spurs extend qualifying offer to Jonathon Simmons
Pumpkinhead
AG
If Spurs don't do some major move, hard to see them have more than a puncher's chance to beat Warriors. IMO:

- Durant and Kawhi cancel each other out.
- Curry and Thompson are significantly better than Spurs backcourt combinations. Guys like Mills, Simmons, and Green are decent players but clearly a lower tier.
- draymond Green vs LMA? Take Green.
- a guy like Gasol is too old and slow to defensively hang with Warriors on perimeter and they abuse him.
- Pop and Spurs staff are excellent but Kerr and the Warrior's system appears to be elite also. Hard to see any significant coaching edge.
Enzo The Baker
AG
It's a good thing it's a team game and they still have to play. So the stuff that you wrote doesn't really matter. Take your Warriors garbage elsewhere.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

It's a good thing it's a team game and they still have to play. So the stuff that you wrote doesn't really matter. Take your Warriors garbage elsewhere.

I don't see it as 'Warriors garbage' and Hopefully Spurs don't just roll back mostly the same roster next season. Don't know what moves are truly realistically but they are the organization in the West probably best equipped to give Warriors a fight next season. Love Kawhi, but would like to see Spurs pull off major offseason move too.
GatorAg03
AG
The cap came in under what was expected as well. This could put a couple teams in a bind. Hopefully makes the warriors have a tougher time with their role player discounts.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Quote:

The San Antonio Spurs, in pursuit of a top-10 pick in Thursday's NBA draft, have spoken to at least three teams about a possible trade involving power forward LaMarcus Aldridge, sources confirmed to ESPN.

Aldridge's contract contains a player option after the 2017-18 season, and he declined to address the situation when asked specifically by ESPN about it during the playoffs.

For the Spurs, working to consummate a trade now is more advantageous than potentially losing Aldridge after next season with no compensation in return.

More details on LA.
Isaih Smollett
Game 1 in Oakland was ours...
GatorAg03
AG
Stephen A Smith says LMA wants out badly. LMA thinks his reputation has been damaged by Spurs. Smith says he thinks LMA is damaged asset with only one year left so might have to move him for other damaged asset (mentions Paul George or Carmello). Said he thinks LMA will not be back in San Antonio.

It's loud mouth Stephen A Smith so take it with a grain of salt.
agwin12
AG
Report out this morning (out of Arizona of all places) states that Spurs looking to move LMA for 2017 Top 5 draft choice. We'll see.
"A life lived for others is a life worthwhile" - Albert Einstein
Enzo The Baker
AG
Spurs also have strong interest in D-Rose. Might be a more realistic option if they can't clear the cap space for Paul.
West Texan
AG
Do teams think twice before making deals with the Spurs? Last time we made a move up the draft board, we got Kawhi. Does the front office have someone else identified they think will be something special?
16Ag18
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Spurs also have strong interest in D-Rose. Might be a more realistic option if they can't clear the cap space for Paul.
If it is guaranteed that Rose doesn't get hurt then yes take him
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

So who would we want in the top 5?

Jon Issac? Zac Collins? Josh Jackson if we are trading away Green, too.

I would think Isaac would be at least close to the top of our list. 6'10", long, and athletic enough to guard 1-4. He needs work on offense, but so did Kawhi coming in and he wouldn't be asked to do much besides run the floor and hit the spot up 3 at this point.
GatorAg03
AG
I think teams are more wary when dealing with the Spurs/Celtics type clubs but at the end of the day they have to do an honest evaluation on what is best for their team. Look at the Philly trade for the #1 pick. They didn't worry about Celtics swindling them. Only time will tell if they are right

In the LMA scenario Spurs are actually at a significant disadvantage. He only has one year remaining and if you can't get along with the Spurs with a realistic championship shot and a top 3 player then it's hard do believe that LMA isn't a big part of the problem. So he is a possibly short term, damaged asset.

I would be pleasantly surprised if even a top 10 pick is offered for him. Alot of hesitation will be on if LMA will re-sign with that club moreso than the Spurs past reputation.

Paul George and the Pacers are essentially offering the same package as LMA and the Spurs. Bith don't want to take back salary. So any teams with a top 10 pick wanting to trade for a one year rental of a top 25 player has their pick of which player they prefer.

We will have to see if the Spurs FO can pull off any magic. It's not going to be easy.
Mike Elko
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

- Pop and Spurs staff are excellent but Kerr and the Warrior's system appears to be elite also. Hard to see any significant coaching edge.

For the love of all things holy, don't ever think Steve Kerr was, is, or ever will be an "elite" coach, no matter how many rings he gets with THREE (2015) and FOUR (2017) All-Stars in his starting five. Anyone on this board coulda "coached" the Warriors to a championship this season. Hell, Kerr wasn't even on the sideline for 43 games when the Warriors won a record 73 last season, and they were 10-0 during this season's playoffs without him.

His title as "coach" is suspect, and anybody with half a brain could implement his "system" with a team of MVPs... Not very difficult to have that roster and find a way to outscore other teams.
Ag Natural
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Enzo The Baker said:

I don't see it as 'Warriors garbage' and Hopefully Spurs don't just roll back mostly the same roster next season. Don't know what moves are truly realistically but they are the organization in the West probably best equipped to give Warriors a fight next season. Love Kawhi, but would like to see Spurs pull off major offseason move too.

Most fans and some teams do look at it this way. I promise you the Spurs don't and they aren't just giving up. What the Spurs do will tell you what they really think of Simmons, Murray and Bertans. These are three young guys who all have plenty of room to grow. Maybe the plan is to trade Green and maybe Aldridge with a plan to give these guys more responsibility.
NickNaylor
Warriors talk with Warriors fans should be on the Warriors threads.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.