*****Spurs 2017 Offseason Thread*****

181,060 Views | 1963 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LawHall88
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
superunknown said:

Am reading that JSimmons is subject to the Gilbert Arenas rule and if the spurs do a QO the max he can be offered is 7.7M. Anyone know more?
So the Bird rule was created for Larry Bird, because the Celtics couldn't have resigned Bird due to being over the cap. So if a player has been with your team for 3+ years, you can exceed the cap to sign them.

Arenas was drafted in the s2nd round by the Warriors, had a normal 2-y contract. Then Washington offered him a ton of money and GSW couldn't match because of the cap and he didn't qualify for Bird rights.

This explains it, but how contracts have to be constructed is strange to say the least.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q45
Pendragon12
AG
Iowaggie said:

Would Spurs fans be excited or disappointed or cringing if Manu decides to try to return?

Excited. I love any member of the big 3 and if they want to just chill and come off the bench for 5 minutes/game and take the vet minimum, I would be completely fine with that.

I only say that a little tongue in cheek. I really do love those guys, and I've missed watching Timmy all year.
FTAG 2000
AG
I think you can bring Manu back for the vet minimum.

Paul's the first convo though. If he wants to come, figure out the cap gymnastics you need to make that work and do it (bonus if you can get rid of Pau or Aldridge in the process, like a sign and trade).

Probably worth talking with Pau about opting out with a promise to resign for less per year over more years (i.e., give him a 3 year 20 million deal instead of his deal next year).

Dedmon's probably getting the MLE slot (if they want to keep him and he wants to stay), you have the Arenas rule to keep Simmons too.

Side note, lots of people think Simmons walks / gets paid. I really think he gives the Spurs a hometown discount and re-signs with them. They gave him his opportunity, he probably wouldn't be anywhere near the NBA at this point unless he bought a ticket to a game. They can take care of him and I think he drinks the koolaid like Danny did a few years back.

Aldridge's contract is crushing at this point, particularly if he's going to continue to pout about playing the five and continue to be a gutless wonder in the playoffs when someone hits him in the mouth. Dude either needs to find some silver and black religion this summer, or the Spurs should make moving him a priority this summer too. He's still a relative bargain given the new max is about 10 million higher than he's getting paid, and he can clearly fill it up still if you give him the keys to the offense. Problem is Kawhi's emergence and their inability to play together (well, be efficient in doing so).

West Texan
AG
Switching gears a little bit, we've got the 29th pick in the draft.

Knowing the Spurs, very likely we draft and stash some Euro player no one has ever heard of. However, I've seen some mock drafts that project Bam Adeboyo in that spot and I don't hate it. He's strong and physical but pretty athletic and is much quicker on his feet as opposed to LA or Pau. He's certainly not polished and has his flaws, but picking that late in the draft you're looking for someone to fill a role.
Guitarsoup
AG
superunknown
AG
Gotcha, this is basically the backended contract/poison pill that i think is how Millsap went to atlanta and Parsons left Houston. Haven't thought about the arenas rule in a while.
GatorAg03
AG
The most important thing is figuring out CP3's lowest number and then you do what you have to do to get that deal done.

You will get some veteran bootstrappers if you have a Kawhi, Paul, Pop combo for the next 3-4 years so you can likely fill out a decent roster later on. You do this before you worry about anything else.

We could absolutely trade Pau or LMA contracts if we had too. Neither are awful deals and they are short. Timothy Mozgov is a $20 million dollar player as an example. Throw our 1st round pick in the trade if needed to get it done. Heck, I'm not convinced the Clips wouldn't be interested in LMA if they lose CP3 and Griffin this offseason. I know sign and trades have restrictions but you might be able to work a deal out with the Clips.

I think Lee and Gasol opt in. I think Dedmon and Mills aren't offered a crazy number. If it's above 5-6 million for either you let them walk. Simmons is worth 8 million (10 million) if you want to trade Green and let Simmons start.

Manu needs to come back.

Parker has earned his last payday so I think you just eat the contract but retirement might not sound so bad knowing he will have to compete for playing time behind Paul and Murray.

If the Spurs go way over Cap for one season to sign CP3, knowing it will look much better in a year when Parker and Gasol and maybe LMA all clear then you do so.

2018 has a whole lot of nothing in free agency. Now is the time to strike. Plus it's shameful to waste even one year of Kawhi's prime and Pop's twilight coach to years. Plus the Cavs and warriors big 3/4 isn't going anywhere so you have to have a minimum of 3 all-stars to compete. Kawhi, CP3 and LMA have a shot.
Guitarsoup
AG

As much as we hate LMA's contract, 21mm is just 20% of the cap and just under 60% of a max salary. That's not a terrible deal and since he probably will opt out next year, moving him wouldn't be extraordinarily difficult.

But if you move him and Gasol, you need more than Chris Paul, you still need guys that can play post because I don't know how long you want to play Dedmon/Kawhi or Lee/Kawhi at 5/4. Part of the greatness of Kawhi is that he does play mainly SF or even SG and he creates matchup problems with his strength and power as the rest of the non-LeBron league is getting smaller/quicker.

LMA makes less than:
Nic Batum
Dwightmare
Brooklyn Lopez
Kevin Love
Derrick Rose
Andre Drummond
Chandler Parsons
Harrison Barnes
Hassan Whiteside
Chris Bosh
Melo
DeMar DeRozen
Al Hortford
Mike Conley

LMA is outside the top 25 and that is before the new crazy contracts happen this summer.

Pau (outside top 50) makes less than:
Tim Mozgov
Kent Bazemore
Ian Mahinmi
Evan Turner
Bismark Biyombo
Greg Monroe
Wes Matthews
Tobias Harris
Luol Deng
Allen Crabbe

Pau will be a FA in 18 and LMA probably will. Both should be relatively easy to move. Only complication is LMA's 15% trade kicker that he can waive.
GatorAg03
AG
Yep, best case (and it pains me to say this as he is my least favorite Spur of all time) would be for LMA to stay and get CP3.

I really think placing an elite PG next to him (as well as a contract year) will help him play better. He has the talent, he is just mentally weak. Going from the 2nd option to the 3rd option should take off some pressure and help him a bit.
Malcolm52
AG
One thing that is interesting about the CP3 idea is his friendship with Parker. I may be crazy but I remember reading something about them being really close friends, to the point where they would often stay at each other's homes when their teams faced off during the season.

Am I mistaking him for somebody else?
Guitarsoup
AG
Malcolm52 said:

One thing that is interesting about the CP3 idea is his friendship with Parker. I may be crazy but I remember reading something about them being really close friends, to the point where they would often stay at each other's homes when their teams faced off during the season.

Am I mistaking him for somebody else?

They are very good friends. Paul is also friends with Pop.
GatorAg03
AG
We saw some two PG lineups with Mills and Parker this post season so it's not unheard of that both can get some minutes, even at the same time.

CP3 shoots the 3 ball as good or better than Green and Parker's shot has improved plus he has nothing but time to work on it more during his recovery.

Also Murray at his size can play some 2 guard and it might give him more incentive to work on his shot.

I have no idea of Parker's mentality. Would he hate CP3 coming in and taking his spot or would he see it as a logical transition like he had with Duncan and an opportunity to extend his career by being a backup if he wants to play a few more years?
LawHall88
AG
Assuming Gasol opts in and Parker doesn't retire, I don't see any realistic scenarios for bringing in CP3 or some other high dollar free agent. So, can the Spurs live with Mills and Murray holding down the PG spot until Parker returns? Realistically, how much will Parker play and how effective will he be once he returns?

The other issue is whether some team will throw stupid money at Mills. If he walks and Parker isn't ready to play at the start of the season, we'll need a PG and still won't have the money to sign a top-tier one.

With Simmons, I think he needs to be a priority if Manu retires. He could get 25-30 minutes a game backing up Green and Kawhi.
GatorAg03
AG
I don't fully understand how NBA trades work as far as taking back salary under the new CBA, but Spurs could firesale Gasol and Green and free up 26 million right there assuming they didn't take much salary back.

That's $26 million right there for CP3 potentially.

If CP3 says he will come for a reasonable amount ($30 million or under per season) I think the Spurs will make the math work.
Guitarsoup
AG
GatorAg03 said:

I don't fully understand how NBA trades work as far as taking back salary under the new CBA, but Spurs could firesale Gasol and Green and free up 26 million right there assuming they didn't take much salary back.

That's $26 million right there for CP3 potentially.

If CP3 says he will come for a reasonable amount ($30 million or under per season) I think the Spurs will make the math work.
To firesale them in that way, you just have to trade them to a team with capspace.

However, Spurs want to keep Green if at all possible. LMA and Gasol are the two that would move first.
Ulrich
If Paul wants to come to San Antonio, he and the front office will figure out a way.
Guitarsoup
AG
http://www.espn.com/blog/nba/rumors/post/_/id/42843/rumor-central-zach-lowe-weighs-in-on-the-chris-paul-to-spurs-speculation
Guitarsoup
AG
The other thing for Chris Paul to go to SA is that Pop has a reputation of keeping his stars healthy and lengthening their careers. If he wants to increase his likelihood of winning a title and lengthening his career, making the move to SA makes a lot of sense.
GatorAg03
AG
Speaking of needing magic to limit injuries: Derrick Rose is being rumored as a Spurs target. He is only 28 but with the body of a 50 year old.

How cheap will his contract be? I think I like that gamble if he is cheap better than overpaying for Lowry or Hill. I'm still CP3 or bust though.
Ulrich
No thank you on D Rose. Although it would work out in the sense that if Parker is targeting a mid-season return, he'll come back right about the time Rose gets knocked out for the season.
Guitarsoup
AG
For Derrick Rose, it all matters what he would take. If you get him cheap. He played 2000 minutes (more than Parker in 4 of the last 5 and 6 of the last 8 years) each of the last two years and put up 20/5/4 per 36.

Bring him in and limit him to ~25mpg.

Quote:

"Not even thinking money. I've got more than enough money saved. If I stopped playing basketball now, I'll be all right. I want to win. I want to be happy and feel at peace with myself wherever I'm at. But being at the negotiating table, you never know. I'm not going to negotiate with people where money is the No. 1 thing I'm asking for. I want to win."
Guitarsoup
AG
Pau Gasol indicated he would opt in to his $16 million player option for next season.

"Now that I know more (about) the conditions I'm playing with and the circumstances, I can figure out better how to be effective," [Also I suck and no one would pay me 16mm, he probably thought]
Guitarsoup
AG
Spurs draft-and-stash Adam Hanga wants to come to the NBA this summer.

He was the 2017 Euroleague Defensive POY. 6'7 SG/SF.

http://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/spurs-2011-draft-pick-adam-hanga-intends-to-come-to-the-nba-next-season
superunknown
AG
If griffin goes to okc, LAC will have a big hole at the 4.....a LMAo sized hole? S&T CP3 for LMAo+parts?

Wishful thinking.
GatorAg03
AG
I agree. Austin Rivers, LMA and DeAndre Jordan should be good enough for the Clips standard early playoff exit and you save a bunch of money!
Guitarsoup
AG

Do it!

Also, the T-Pups need to spend ~20mm and the 76ers need to spend ~40mm to hit the salary floor.

I think both could use LMA. Possibly Gasol as a backup to Embiid or KAT.
GatorAg03
AG
Griffin would replace LMA on my least favorite Spur list, but sounds good to me. Let's go ahead and take Redick too while we are at it. We could use a pure shooter that isn't crazy streaky (I'm looking at you Danny Green)
Guitarsoup
AG
I don't like LMA or Griffin. Do we prefer Griffin's Mr. Glass body or LMA's Tin Man no heart?

Play Griffin 25mpg and hope he doesn't hurt his little toes.

Also it would give us another reason to hate Griffin. He convince Deandre to not go to Dallas, then took off because the Clippers sucked.
GatorAg03
AG
I just tried DeAndre, CP3 and Redick for LMA, Gasol, Mills and Green

Worked perfectly money wise!
Guitarsoup
AG
But CP3, Redick and Griffin are about to sign bigger deals. Trade Machine resets in late June for next season, I think.
Mike Elko
AG
I literally texted this trade to my buddies during the Rockets series. Me likey.
brotheraggie
Chris Paul would be a great addition to the Spurs
Obi Wan Ginobili
brotheraggie said:

Chris Paul would be a great addition to the Spurs

As unlikely as it is, I'm sure the team can sleep well knowing they don't need him (or Kawhi or Tony for that matter) to take down your gay ass Rockets squad.
Cappo
AG
Guitarsoup said:

GINOBILI!
jteagle
AG
Ulrich said:

If Paul wants to come to San Antonio, he and the front office will figure out a way.
We can hope

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.