*****Spurs 2017 Offseason Thread*****

181,149 Views | 1963 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LawHall88
Ulrich
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is the last year of his deal at 15.5mm. You'd like to have him sign a lower for longer extension, the problem is how low Parker's value is right now.

He may plan on coming back midseason and playing until he's 40, but everyone else is looking at an injury that is frequently career ending AND he's been battling nagging injuries for years. He's a steady floor general when healthy, but with maybe a 1/3 chance of never playing again, 1/3 of playing but really poorly, and 1/3 of contributing another season or two at a solid level, it's hard to envision the market being more than a vet min deal. A three year vet min would be about 7mm total, obviously a bad move for Parker, so it would have to be 5mm+ to make sense for Parker. Obviously the spurs could choose to give him that or more, but they have to run a business. This deal was at least partly payback for the years of being underpaid (crazy how much salaries have gone up in three years).

It might best for everyone to let the contract run out and make a decision based on health next year. The Spurs seem to be more or less staying pat, so >5mm flexibility in future years may be more valuable than 10mm this year.
Ag Natural
AG
It's being reported that Iggy has agreed to re-up with GSW. 3 yrs $48 million.

I haven't don't the math but it sure seems like they are getting neck deep into tax territory.

atm0812
AG
Iguodala staying with Golden State. 3 years, $48 million.

Golden State now looking at a $40 million luxury tax bill if they only resign Durant and use vet minimums to fill out the roster.
tbirdspur2010
AG
As expected with Iggy, tbh.

And thank y'all for being so quick with the thread updates! Truly appreciate it.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Fingers crossed we can re-sign Simms.
tbirdspur2010
AG
The more i think about it, the more I think making another run with this group is prudent.

West will be tougher this year, but i still think another year of experience with this core will place us 2nd in the conference. Gotta hope for GS to falter a bit and for good health for us.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I'm okay with running it back. Having a vet PG would have been ideal but just wasn't in the cards. Now let's get Simms and try to fill out our front court bench.
tbirdspur2010
AG
Agreed. Flying J-Simms blossomed before our eyes this postseason. Was the head of the snake vs. GSW.

And I'm excited for Murray in year 2 under Pop. Kid is NICE.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ag Natural said:

It's being reported that Iggy has agreed to re-up with GSW. 3 yrs $48 million.

I haven't don't the math but it sure seems like they are getting neck deep into tax territory.

I'll do the math later, but that after going to pay a ton of tax for the next few years
superunknown
AG
Enzo The Baker
AG
Spurs (and many other teams) are interested in Korver. He wouldn't be a bad pickup for the bench at the right price. You can never have too many 3 point shooters.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

You can never have too many 3 point shooters.

A whole bunch of this.

Also, the rockets signed PJ Tucker. Dribbling jokes aside, that's a really good signing for them. Solid defender.
Mike Elko
AG
Never wanted Iggy, so glad GS overpaid for his services. Especially after reading his non-English tweet, all the better.
CoachC16
AG
West Texan said:

DSAg44 said:

Get Gay and call it a day. We need his scoring.

No and no we don't.
don't really get ppl saying we don't need his scoring. Our bench unit (without manu) does not have a guy that can score on all three levels
flashplayer
AG
Biggest need right now is another athlete who can guard the perimeter and hit about 33%+ from the corner. Maybe that's Hanga.

And a center who can play D and rebound.
Ag Natural
AG
Gay would be very interesting. He's always been an elite talent and if he bought into a role with SA that could be a huge upgrade. I don't see it happening but we'll see.

As for the roster, the front court is a huge question mark. Only Aldridge is under contract. I suspect Gasol will sign but the backup roles are a mystery. I thought Lee was a great fit and maybe he will take the low level exception to come back. I think that would be a raise from last season.
Ag Natural
AG
Holy carp. Minnesota signs Taj Gibson as well. Tibbs is damn serious about winning right now.
West Texan
AG
The_chum said:

West Texan said:

DSAg44 said:

No and no we don't.
don't really get ppl saying we don't need his scoring. Our bench unit (without manu) does not have a guy that can score on all three levels

Our bench outscored opponents benches by 10 points per 100 possessions last season. Ginobili has had his role reduced dramatically over the last 5 years and he's not the singular force that makes it go. Like I said, Rudy Gay is an inefficient volume scorer, an average 3 point shooter, not a good defender or rebounder, and he stops all the ball movement. He's a less talented Carmelo Anthony.
Ag Natural
AG
West Texan said:

The_chum said:

West Texan said:

DSAg44 said:

No and no we don't.

Our bench outscored opponents benches by 10 points per 100 possessions last season. Ginobili has had his role reduced dramatically over the last 5 years and he's not the singular force that makes it go. Like I said, Rudy Gay is an inefficient volume scorer, an average 3 point shooter, not a good defender or rebounder, and he stops all the ball movement. He's a less talented Carmelo Anthony.

Gay is supremely talented. He has been inefficient and not a willing defender but those are behaviors not talents. Like I said, if he accepted a role he could be an asset. The same could be said for Melo. The question is wether or not he is willing to do that.
Ulrich
I think Simmons is the bench scorer we're looking for. We already have Aldridge to take a dozen off balance contested fade away 18 footers a game.
West Texan
AG
Ag Natural said:

West Texan said:

The_chum said:

West Texan said:

DSAg44 said:

No and no we don't.

Gay is supremely talented. He has been inefficient and not a willing defender but those are behaviors not talents. Like I said, if he accepted a role he could be an asset. The same could be said for Melo. The question is wether or not he is willing to do that.

Except he's not supremely talented. Sure, he's able to create his own shot, but he's an overall negative on the floor because of his lack defense and inability to make his teammates around him better. And you don't just break a player of if bad habits that's been doing it in the league for as long as he has.

I have no doubt that if PATFO brought him here, they'd get a lot out of him and find a way to make it work. However, I'm not a fan of his game and I'd rather keep Simmons who plays excellent defense than pursue Gay.
West Texan
AG
Ulrich said:

I think Simmons is the bench scorer we're looking for. We already have Aldridge to take a dozen off balance contested fade away 18 footers a game.

This.
Ag Natural
AG
Seriously? Gay averaged 18/7/3 last season in the 30 games he played. His effective FG% was about 50%. Simmons had an eFG% of about 45% last season.

I hope it's not an either or situation because they don't really play the same position and are in two totally different situations. Gay is 6'9" and has been a starter his whole career. He's never averaged less than 30 mins in a season. The major issue with Gay is he probably thinks he's a $20 million player still.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Cavs are re-signing Korver. 3yrs-$22 million
78669AG
Lowery resigning with raps
flashplayer
AG
Otto Porter Jr got a 4yr 100 million dollar offer from Sacramento. Good grief.

If Washington matches, I wonder what in the hell they are going to offer Simmons
Ag Natural
AG
Man, I'd be tempted to let Porter walk. Of course, wait as long as possible before making a decision.
Obi Wan Ginobili
flashplayer said:

If Washington matches, I wonder what in the hell they are going to offer Simmons

Danny Green at $10 million is outrageous!!!!

/idiots
West Texan
AG
Ag Natural said:

Seriously? Gay averaged 18/7/3 last season in the 30 games he played. His effective FG% was about 50%. Simmons had an eFG% of about 45% last season.

I hope it's not an either or situation because they don't really play the same position and are in two totally different situations. Gay is 6'9" and has been a starter his whole career. He's never averaged less than 30 mins in a season. The major issue with Gay is he probably thinks he's a $20 million player still.

Gay is a more talented offensive player than Simmons, but he's most definitely not a better fit. Like I pointed out in an earlier post, our bench is already really good and I don't see the need to add a guy that all he brings is some marginally better scoring and nothing else. Simmons is way better defensively and helps us matchup against the rockets and warriors much better, where scoring isn't really our problem against those teams. Plus your point about how much money he'll want, I'm not the salary expert that soup is, but I doubt we can get Gay and keep both of Green and Simmons. Just not worth it at all imo.
West Texan
AG
flashplayer said:

Enzo The Baker
AG
Shabazz Muhammad is available now. He wouldn't be a bad bench guy.
CoachC16
AG
That sure as hell wasnt the case in April and May though man, that's my main point. Another thing that could make a difference with RG is that he's never been on a decent team, it could make a huge difference to a guy like that to be around a winning environment IMO
TyHolden
AG
Durant didn't learn defense until golden state...
flashplayer
AG
DSAg44 said:

Durant didn't learn defense until Billy Donovan...

FIFY
Ag Natural
AG
The formula for beating GSW includes perimeter length on defense, great rebounding and good iso offense. Rudy Gay is an A or A+ in all those areas. Yeah, we don't know if he can play great team defense for sure. But at 6'9" and athletic he should be effective.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.