Houston
Sponsored by

*****CITY UNDER SIEGE 2023*****

223,626 Views | 1830 Replies | Last: 29 days ago by Diggity
texasaggie2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was just thinking about that this morning
maroon barchetta
W said:

so it's been a week since the biker shootout on I-45

no arrests yet apparently

It would be difficult. Some guy or guys on bikes ride up and cap some other guys on bikes and zoom off. Hard to get a witness to keep up and get good descriptions or a number off those tiny bike license plates.
W
AG
time to upgrade the Transtar cameras
maroon barchetta
It was up near Huntsville. Unless the Sam Houston statue has cameras for eyes, there aren't any up there.
AustinCountyAg
https://abc13.com/alief-tree-planting-project-broken-window-theory-crime-prevention-theories-shade-in-houston/13165329/

Got a good chuckle out of this crap.
maroon barchetta
Wow. Just wow.
texasaggie2015
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

https://abc13.com/alief-tree-planting-project-broken-window-theory-crime-prevention-theories-shade-in-houston/13165329/

What the ****
jt16
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

No offense, but why is this laughable? It worked for Rudy Giuliani in NYC
maroon barchetta
True

There was no crime in NYC during Rudy's tenure. And it's practically a lush forest in the city now.
Diggity
AG
The main problem I have with the Alief story is that planting trees really doesn't have anything to do with "broken window theory".

The other issue is there is very little consensus on whether "broken window policing" was an effective crime deterrent in the first place.
rancher1953
Maybe they should get rid of the blocks of section 8 housing in the area, that would be the best start. This story is a joke they have no clue. The hood rats rule the night and walk the streets during the summer time heat. They sleep during the day after a hard night of drinking 40s.
Gator92
AG
Diggity said:

Headline should actually read:

Quote:

NRG Stadium (Taylor's Version)-area shooting kills man in car waiting at intersection, HPD says

Silly ABC.

https://abc13.com/houston-crime-man-shot-to-death-found-dead-at-intersection-near-nrg-shooting-stadium/13162433/
According to Grizzy, victim was this guy...

YellAg2004
AG
So they're going to plant trees in the medians (where people shouldn't be walking) and along sidewalks. Then in 10 years they can come back and tell us how the crime hasn't gone down because now the sidewalks are torn up by the roots of their crime-fighting trees.

Honestly, my biggest shock is that they didn't somehow manage to work a climate change crisis connection into the whole story, telling us how planting these 1200 trees will save the planet from climate crisis.

Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Trees in the median definitely add something. On the rare special occasion when I drive down Hillcroft between S Main and W Airport on my way back from something in Fort Bend Co, I'll see cars parked and people sitting in lawn chairs amongst the stately oaks on the median between the old apartments and whatever convenience store or lounge that folks are gathering at. Gives a nice bucolic charm to the whole affair that almost makes me want to stop and sit a spell. Almost, but not ever.
WorthAg95
AG
We could start to turn around dumb ideas if these news sites would allow commenting again.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
This better not pass....

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/texas/victim-families-bh-1064-good-time-credit-bill/285-2272a7c4-af57-4210-a93d-4c32acff9917

Quote:

"HB 1064 provides an incentive for all offenders with parole eligibility to make the best of their time spent incarcerated," Sherman said.

Right now, violent offenders must serve 50% of their sentence before becoming eligible for parole. If passed, violent offenders could earn time credit through good behavior and education and vocational programs. They could face a parole board after serving only 25% of their sentence.

"We are not asking for thousands of incarcerated to be released into society after the passing of this bill," said Shelly Sexton, with Texas Incarcerated Families Association.

The parole board will still have the final call on who's released and who isn't. Supporters of the bill said inmates deserve a chance at rehab. But victims' families said the bill is "misplaced sympathy."

"That's just not fair," Castro said. "We should be more concerned for the person who was offended."

Andy Kahan with Crime Stoppers of Houston said that if this bill becomes law, approximately 5,000 inmates could be automatically eligible for parole.
CDUB98
AG
99.9% of inmates don't rehab, they reload.

Such a colossally nave bill.
Anti-taxxer
AG
Why not? The city is turning out criminals on little to no bail! Let's just keep the turnstile going.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Even Mississippi prison escapees know this is a good place to be on the run:

https://www.fox26houston.com/news/stolen-vehicle-used-in-connection-with-mississippi-jail-escape-located-in-houston-area

Quote:

A search is underway after a stolen vehicle believed to have been used by four escaped Mississippi jail detainees was located in the Houston area.

According to the Hinds County Sheriff's Office, the four men were discovered missing from the Raymond Detention Center on Sunday morning. Officials said they discovered a breach in B-Pod, and a white Hinds County public works pickup was reported stolen.

Officials said the pickup was located in Spring Valley.

I guess it's better than 4 more California transplants.
Dimebag Darrell
Microwave Onions said:

Even Mississippi prison escapees know this is a good place to be on the run:

https://www.fox26houston.com/news/stolen-vehicle-used-in-connection-with-mississippi-jail-escape-located-in-houston-area

Quote:

A search is underway after a stolen vehicle believed to have been used by four escaped Mississippi jail detainees was located in the Houston area.

According to the Hinds County Sheriff's Office, the four men were discovered missing from the Raymond Detention Center on Sunday morning. Officials said they discovered a breach in B-Pod, and a white Hinds County public works pickup was reported stolen.

Officials said the pickup was located in Spring Valley.

I guess it's better than 4 more California transplants.

I would take 4 dangerous prison escapee's over three white liberals any day of the week.
Build It
AG
Texas claims to have a 21 percent rate of recidivism. The Feds claim we have 40 percent. Not sure which is true but it's no where near the 99.9 percent you claim.

Are you quoting the Texas Tribune or something?
maroon barchetta
Build It said:

Texas claims to have a 21 percent rate of recidivism. The Feds claim we have 40 percent. Not sure which is true but it's no where near the 99.9 percent you claim.

Are you quoting the Texas Tribune or something?

None of your post makes sense.
CDUB98
AG
He did not appreciate my hyperbole for some reason.
Build It
AG
Thought you were claiming 99.9percent went back to the life of crime. It's simply not true. While Texas and the Feds claim different percentages it is no where near the 99.9 percent you claim. Having hired a few ex cons in my time I'd agree with them.

But I understand now. You were talking out of your ass to try and make a point.

Irish 2.0
It's called hyperbole. Often associated with a bit of humor and irony.

I understand why you may not get it.
Build It
AG
Got it.
CDUB98
AG
Somebody didn't get his Metamucil this morning.
Build It
AG
Ha, luckily very regular. In my experience when talking politics percentages matter. I have a bad habit of pointing it out in all politicians rhetoric. They all speak with forked tongues (a metaphor).
MAROON
AG
jt16 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

No offense, but why is this laughable? It worked for Rudy Giuliani in NYC

Rudy didn't plant trees he started enforcing laws.
HtownWilly12
Truck was broken into today at 1130 am in broad daylight. Window smashed and took a work binder...of papers. Apparently the Longhorn Steakhouse (customer lunch, not my choice lol) on I10 in Katy is an unsafe place. Almost can't think of a more in the open location to have done this with the feeder of I10 being 10 ft away.
CDUB98
AG
They are brazen now. They'll do anything out in the wide open because they know they'll be right back out on the street.
texasaggie2015
AG
Yup. It's insane.
maroon barchetta
We are approaching this as the only solution.

Build It
AG
Same area happened to my friend last week.
MAROON
AG
I'm fully in favor of shooting all thieves, especially if the DA and Judges refuse to do their jobs.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.