Houston
Sponsored by

*****CITY UNDER SIEGE 2023*****

223,649 Views | 1830 Replies | Last: 29 days ago by Diggity
Jugstore Cowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
agproducer said:

Cross post from the other thread.

The piece of **** that's accused of paralyzing a woman is now complaining about her GoFundMe from jail.

https://abc13.com/bond-lowered-chinatown-robbery-17-year-old-joseph-harrell/12997572/
Interesting. The judge (who slashed the bail amount) is Kristen Guiney, a former prosecutor who ran as a Republican.
Build It
AG
So disappointed in her…….

I'm 2 years from sellling out and leaving Harris County. It is only going to get worse.
agproducer
AG
Republican judge, Democrat judge... I DGAF.

They need to help clean this up. It is a complete failure of the system.

Unless there are sweeping changes in the system, it will just continue to get worse.
Texaggie7nine
agproducer said:

They need to help clean this up. It is a complete failure or the system.

Unless there are sweeping changes in the system, it will just continue to get worse.
I don't remember if you are still in the business, but what is your sense of most of the people in Houston news media. Do most see how screwed up these bail reforms are, or do most side with the SJW types that think bail reform was a good thing?
7nine
H-town ag
AG
This judge was once appointed by Governor Abbott…. What would be the rationale for lowering the bond? Does she have to provide an explanation? I'm not an expert in the criminal court system.
Irish 2.0
H-town ag said:

This judge was once appointed by Governor Abbott…. What would be the rationale for lowering the bond? Does she have to provide an explanation? I'm not an expert in the criminal court system.
Think it was to avoid a malicious, unattainable bond amount argument. His total bond is actually $170K I believe if you include his other charges and the terms are complete house arrest
Build It
AG
Our judges are *******. Who wouldn't want to fight that malicious defense when you have video evidence of him paralyzing a woman and long rap sheet of other crimes. Make that bail a million. He should
Never be out again.
Irish 2.0
Build It said:

Our judges are *******. Who wouldn't want to fight that malicious defense when you have video evidence of him paralyzing a woman and long rap sheet of other crimes. Make that bail a million. He should
Never be out again.
Not disagreeing at all. Just my assumption as to why she did it.
The Wonderer
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

H-town ag said:

Think it was to avoid a malicious, unattainable bond amount argument. His total bond is actually $170K I believe if you include his other charges and the terms are complete house arrest
This is likely why. Bond is not supposed to be punitive. It is in place to ensure they show up to court and, in certain cases, for community safety (this is a high burden to swing for).
Texaggie7nine
eeesh

https://abc13.com/bond-lowered-chinatown-robbery-17-year-old-joseph-harrell/12997572/?fbclid=IwAR3l5cm0BbpI3ehaAvBZ6a9gn4Hg2BRUuLQOmOiM3j22ln6MGQFt1qJ6R0g&mibextid=Zxz2cZ#lfmpc6o1nvnm0ikq4rf

Quote:

"The lady probably wants justice and some more (expletive)," Harrell said. "They'll try to max me out 20 years basically. That (expletive). I ain't going for it. The (expletive) already ran up $230,000 off GoFundMe. (Expletive) better run on with her life."
7nine
Sea Speed
AG
If you commit a crime while out in bond you should be held without bond until your trial. That's where the bar for community safety should be. You had your shot to get your act together and couldn't do it. See you in court.
Al Bula
AG
That child is an animal deserved death, but first torture.

It has no qualities and needs to be put down.
Dimebag Darrell
Feral gonna feral.
agproducer
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

agproducer said:

They need to help clean this up. It is a complete failure or the system.

I don't remember if you are still in the business, but what is your sense of most of the people in Houston news media. Do most see how screwed up these bail reforms are, or do most side with the SJW types that think bail reform was a good thing?

I'm out. I've been out since 2016.

I will say this: local news is understaffed and underpaid. With that, a lot of experienced folks have left. So, they may be aware of it, but aren't experienced enough to dig into it - with exceptions.

Isiah Carey on 26 is working with Crimestoppers to draw attention to it.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
It would be a shame if somehow the location and time of his release was leaked
Kellso
Houston used to be such a special place. What happened?
Did it have to do with the closing of Astro World and Wet n Wild?

It seems like Houston was a much better place when the Oilers were in town instead of the Texans.
What's it going to take for the people to take back the city?
rcb
AG
I'd say what led to the closing of Astroworld grew exponentially, especially after, oh say…August 2005.

Grew up in 079 in the 70's and 80's. Graduated high school in '85 to head to A&M and folks stayed until about 1990 when they moved back to Aggieland. Didn't live here as an adult till moving back in 2006 and was shocked what had happened on the west side.

That said, even back then, we had our share of problems. We lived in Memorial Club townhomes right by Stratford HS. No garage, just carport. Woke up one morning to mom's Lincoln Mark on wood blocks. Never heard a sound. Another time, we came home from school and had been cleaned out…TV's, CB radio base station lol, dad's Rolex etc. Just missed them too because I had a goldfish that was knocked over and still alive flopping on the floor. Dad owned a Gulf gas station on Memorial and got hit multiple times, thankfully always at night when closed.

We then moved to Fleetwood and there were a couple high profile murders in the neighborhood. Also, my mom was a realtor and worked at Shumate there on Hwy 6 where the 3 ladies were murdered in her office in '83 (still unsolved). That was eerie as I had just filled up Mrs. Shumates car at my dad's. My mom almost went to the office that morning but got sidetracked at home thankfully. Dad came home and asked her what was going on at the office (we could walk there) because Memorial was shut down and Life Flight was there.

All that said, I'd go back to that era in a heartbeat. Crime back then seemed a little less random and for the most part, if you got caught doing these crimes, you went to jail. And still, even given my examples, we (kids) just ran loose. You basically saw your parents in the morning and when it got dark outside.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
26 has been solid; Randy Wallace has been doing the "Breaking Bond" segment with Andy Kahan regularly for what, two years now? Something like that.

https://www.fox26houston.com/tag/series/breaking-bond
Al Bula
AG
agproducer said:

Isiah Carey on 26 is working with Crimestoppers to draw attention to it.
whoa… just had a cookoff flashback of fist bumping him the other night.

Sorry, cool story bro
W
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

eeesh

https://abc13.com/bond-lowered-chinatown-robbery-17-year-old-joseph-harrell/12997572/?fbclid=IwAR3l5cm0BbpI3ehaAvBZ6a9gn4Hg2BRUuLQOmOiM3j22ln6MGQFt1qJ6R0g&mibextid=Zxz2cZ#lfmpc6o1nvnm0ikq4rf

Quote:

"The lady probably wants justice and some more (expletive)," Harrell said. "They'll try to max me out 20 years basically. That (expletive). I ain't going for it. The (expletive) already ran up $230,000 off GoFundMe. (Expletive) better run on with her life."

it's nice that Harrell gave everyone a peek behind the curtain --- he wasn't supposed to do that.

sympathy toward criminals is badly misplaced --- they don't care about their victims or anyone else
Al Bula
AG
I'd say it's sad "urban youths" have that perspective on life - when THEY commit these crimes - regarding the blame shifting to how much the victim has garnered on the gofundme, but then that would make me a west u level libtard white female.

This animal deserves no more than death.
Kellso
From the responses in this thread it sounds like Houston is experiencing the same urban problems that Los Angeles has had to deal with for decades.

Both places are port cities that also import problems from other places. Both cities used to be in Mexico.
Los Angeles and Houston are both known for crime, smog, pollution and heavy traffic.

Luckily Houston just has a lot of criminals. LA also has to deal with a massive amount of homeless drug addicts.
Smeghead4761
Well, technically, only the land where Houston sits was part of Mexico. The city itself wasn't established until after independence.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora de los Angeles de Porcincula was founded in 1769, when (Alta) California was still part of New Spain.
jetch17
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

eeesh

Quote:

F.that.guy.
WorthAg95
AG
Microwave Onions said:

agproducer said:

Cross post from the other thread.

The piece of **** that's accused of paralyzing a woman is now complaining about her GoFundMe from jail.

https://abc13.com/bond-lowered-chinatown-robbery-17-year-old-joseph-harrell/12997572/
Interesting. The judge (who slashed the bail amount) is Kristen Guiney, a former prosecutor who ran as a Republican.

Ran across a post online that names the "appointed" defense attorney as Catherine Evans, a former D judge and BFF of Guiney. Birds of a feather…
HtownAg92
AG
rcb said:

I'd say what led to the closing of Astroworld grew exponentially, especially after, oh say…August 2005.

Grew up in 079 in the 70's and 80's. Graduated high school in '85 to head to A&M and folks stayed until about 1990 when they moved back to Aggieland. Didn't live here as an adult till moving back in 2006 and was shocked what had happened on the west side.

That said, even back then, we had our share of problems. We lived in Memorial Club townhomes right by Stratford HS. No garage, just carport. Woke up one morning to mom's Lincoln Mark on wood blocks. Never heard a sound. Another time, we came home from school and had been cleaned out…TV's, CB radio base station lol, dad's Rolex etc. Just missed them too because I had a goldfish that was knocked over and still alive flopping on the floor. Dad owned a Gulf gas station on Memorial and got hit multiple times, thankfully always at night when closed.

We then moved to Fleetwood and there were a couple high profile murders in the neighborhood. Also, my mom was a realtor and worked at Shumate there on Hwy 6 where the 3 ladies were murdered in her office in '83 (still unsolved). That was eerie as I had just filled up Mrs. Shumates car at my dad's. My mom almost went to the office that morning but got sidetracked at home thankfully. Dad came home and asked her what was going on at the office (we could walk there) because Memorial was shut down and Life Flight was there.

All that said, I'd go back to that era in a heartbeat. Crime back then seemed a little less random and for the most part, if you got caught doing these crimes, you went to jail. And still, even given my examples, we (kids) just ran loose. You basically saw your parents in the morning and when it got dark outside.

Thornwood Elementary and one year at Westchester Junior High before we moved out to West Texas.
Ciboag96
For some uplifting news, I give you Taco Trucks Under Siege: **** Around And Find Out edition.

The Wonderer
AG
Ciboag96 said:

For some uplifting news, I give you Taco Trucks Under Siege: **** Around And Find Out edition.

Welcome to Taco Tuesday MFer!
jrrhouston98
AG
So my buddy was driving by and stopped and started talking to all the reporters. Gave them all a bunch of bs answers to questions they were asking.

But it was a young Mexican kid that got popped. Play stupid games….
maroon barchetta
The food truck employee that took him out is a woman!

https://abc13.com/houston-crime-robbery-suspect-killed-man-shot-while-trying-to-rob-food-truck-main-street/13035778/
Ciboag96
The lack of diversity in murders in Houston these days is, frankly, upsetting. Surely there are some Welsh or Singaporean murderers who are just lacking a role model.

Al Bula
AG
Ciboag96 said:

The lack of diversity in murders in Houston these days is, frankly, upsetting.
This fact has not gone unnoticed by all aspects of law enforcement, from top to bottom. You have feds inciting certain events to equal out the numbers, and the locals are lying about ethnicity on arrest records. And sometimes the diversity just doesn't get reported at all.
NASAg03

Mike Shaw - Class of '03
CheeseSndwch
Man charged with aggravated robbery violates bond conditions 1,043 times but judge decides not to revoke bond.
maroon barchetta
San Antonio resident demonstrating how to get your stolen stuff back.

Surely this will happen in Houston at some point. People are fed up.

https://www.kbtx.com/2023/03/30/man-tracks-down-stolen-truck-with-airtag-kills-suspect-police-say/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.