Houston
Sponsored by

Tropical two-fer

521,883 Views | 3418 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by V8Aggie
Seabreeze
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like the Northern turn has started looking at radar
https://media.wspa.com/nxs-wspatv-media-us-east-1/wp/weather/radar/WSI/full-screen-radar-12.html
lunchbox
I really wonder if Land's End provided the shirts that the weather channel people are wearing...
Alex Bregman
AG
Seabreeze said:

https://media.wspa.com/nxs-wspatv-media-us-east-1/wp/weather/radar/WSI/full-screen-radar-12.html
Ever so slight, but damn, if this thing doesn't....sure hope they are right. Haven't really heard anything doubting the path in a long time.
RethinkTheWeekend
AG
plain_o_llama said:

CoachRTM said:

It's times like these you realize that our way back ancestors didn't have access to technology and understand that a storm like this was coming. I mean, look at the video posted above - looks like a normal day and we're 12 hours from devastation.

Could you imagine a 12-foot storm surge and then this mammoth storm that seemingly came out of nowhere with no warning? It kills all of your cattle, drowns your crops, and half of your friends. You can kind of understand why they thought it was God punishing them, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indianola,_Texas

Indianola is a ghost town located on Matagorda Bay in Calhoun County, Texas, United States. The community, once the county seat of Calhoun County, is a part of the Victoria, Texas, Metropolitan Statistical Area. In 1875, the city had a population of 5,000, but on September 15 of that year, a powerful hurricane struck, killing between 150 and 300 and almost entirely destroying the town. Indianola was rebuilt, only to be wiped out on August 19, 1886, by another intense hurricane, which was followed by a fire.

Louis L'amour's book Matagorda is set around the time of the 1875 storm.
I live in a one of the few houses that survived these two storms in Indianola and the house was then moved when the town shut down because of these two hurricanes.
Sazerac
AG
Sazerac said:

Do they ever turn west like that crossing the TX-LA border? Seems they always go N-NE once in that part of the gulf.

Seems they always turn north
Ag12thman
AG
plain_o_llama said:

CoachRTM said:

Louis L'amour's book Matagorda is set around the time of the 1875 storm.

That is a great author. I have many of his books. I do not have and have not read Matagorda however.
Diggity
AG
TXTransplant said:

Diggity said:

His book on Churchill is also great.

That one is The Splendid and the Vile that I mentioned above.

I love WWII history, and that one is from a totally different perspective than anything else I've read. Lots of interesting stories and tidbits of info that I'd never heard about, too.
missed your post, and can never remember the name of that book.
Ag12thman
AG
Seabreeze said:

Appears to be a very noticeable turn North to me as well.
sts7049
AG
TXTransplant
Diggity said:

TXTransplant said:

Diggity said:

His book on Churchill is also great.

That one is The Splendid and the Vile that I mentioned above.

I love WWII history, and that one is from a totally different perspective than anything else I've read. Lots of interesting stories and tidbits of info that I'd never heard about, too.
missed your post, and can never remember the name of that book.

Haha...I prob would have called it The Churchill Book, too, if I couldn't see it sitting on my coffee table!
Seabreeze
1pm 140 mph, Cat 4.
jswags
AG
Where was the house moved?
jetch17
sts7049
AG
man. eric's right, houston really dodged a bullet here.
htxag09
AG
Yeah not sure they're overplaying it. Predicting flooding from storm surge 20 miles inland where this thing is making landfall. Don't even want to know what a 15' storm surge would do to Houston.
Seabreeze

LostInLA07
AG
The Galveston sea wall protects up to 17'.

I thought Ike brought a 22' storm surge so I guess it wouldn't be as bad as Ike?
LostInLA07
AG
Dang. Hopefully it doesn't strengthen too much more before landfall.
plain_o_llama
htxag09 said:

Yeah not sure they're overplaying it. Predicting flooding from storm surge 20 miles inland where this thing is making landfall. Don't even want to know what a 15' storm surge would do to Houston.
Here is an interactive storm surge mapping tool. Some might find it useful.
The caution is it might be a little aggressive in some cases. I would use it to get a feel for areas of relative vulnerability.

I'm not an expert, but I've been told by knowledgeable folks that the area of hurricane force winds is a larger determining factor than the small area of max winds. So a bigger Cat 2 potentially has a larger surge impact than a smaller Cat 3.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/nationalsurge/

I suspect there are better maps for your local area if you dig around.
gigemJTH12
AG
This was 7 this morning like 250 miles from shore

We are about to see all time destruction.

Cannot overemphasis the bullet Houston dodged

Cromagnum
AG
That first rain band looks rough. This thing better do a 90 degree turn soon.

https://m.imgur.com/bF1bVa6
Agz_2003
AG
Did the rare summer "cold" front we got last week create enough high pressure to steer this beast away and save Houston?
RethinkTheWeekend
AG
jswags said:

Where was the house moved?
Two houses that I know of that survived were moved to Victoria and they sit back to back to each other.
CoachRTM
AG

We're not talking enough about this guy as Houston's true MVP. As soon as he proposed..... Laura decided to take a 90 degree turn towards Louisiana.
Aggie_3
LostInLA07 said:

Dang. Hopefully it doesn't strengthen too much more before landfall.

Don't hold your breath it wasn't supposed to be a 4 until much later today so it's already stronger than it was forecasted
htxag09
AG
Lmao, vermillion parish just said they aren't setting up any emergency shelters because of Covid.
gigemJTH12
AG
Anyone have an updated wind map for the current path?
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
So the rumors of it not turning are not true?
Fitch
AG
LostInLA07 said:

The Galveston sea wall protects up to 17'.

I thought Ike brought a 22' storm surge so I guess it wouldn't be as bad as Ike?
Head of tide for Buffalo Bayou is Shepard Drive, or there abouts. A rain event plus storm surge would be no bueno.
Ag_07
AG
Cromagnum said:

That first rain band looks rough. This thing better do a 90 degree turn soon.

https://m.imgur.com/bF1bVa6

Looks like that's IR temp output not radar. That band is not near as bad as it looks

Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
Stolen from the Storm2k forum. Appears to be hugging the west side of the cone.

07fta07
AG
Hurricane will kill you. COVID has 99.9% chance of not. Yea, we definitely should not take that chance...people are dumb.
LostInLA07
AG
Yikes.

I'm sure it will turn north soon but nudging west could be really bad for Beaumont and bring higher winds and rain to more of Houston.
Aggie_3
According to 3 different radars it hasn't started turning and is hugging the west side and outside the west side of the cone as far out as 7:30
Motis B Totis
AG
so the plan is to just hope it turns?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.