Houston
Sponsored by

Tropical two-fer

521,916 Views | 3418 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by V8Aggie
Charpie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TXAG14 said:

These are the three I will be following most of the night. Will also browse periscope to see who else is live.

https://twitter.com/ReedTimmerAccu?s=21

https://twitter.com/Jeff_Piotrowski?s=21

https://twitter.com/iCyclone?s=21
The bolded guy is the blue shed guy. That was amazing
BohunkAg
AG
BillYeoman said:

Rumors are that it hasn't turned North as expected at this time and still tracking NW. Not to alarm but still too close for comfort
I thought you were dead
gif
The one good thing about this storm is getting a little afternoon Britta butt
Daddy-O5
AG
BillYeoman said:

Rumors are that it hasn't turned North as expected at this time and still tracking NW. Not to alarm but still too close for comfort
A link or at least source to said rumors would be nice.
CoachRTM
AG
BillYeoman said:

My wife is on one of the "emergency teams" at one of the big oil companies (like was referenced earlier). All indications are that it turned (or will turn) East. They are on stand-down mode in regards to Houston.

This was as of 15-30 minutes ago after the 10am models came out.

Completely understand the hesitancy as it looks like its going straight at us, but once these things are in open water, they are far more predictable.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
So I don't know **** about **** when it comes to weather, but what are the odds that it doesn't turn? I mean, it can't literally be 0%, right?
CFTXAG10
AG
Daddy-O5
AG

TXTransplant
kansas02gt said:

schmendeler said:

cmag said:

MAS444 said:

"Houston as we know it would be be pretty much gone."

Isn't that a little (or lot) dramatic?
I thought they were supposed to be "weather without the hype"
what effect do you think 15-20 foot storm surge would have on the refineries, etc, along the ship channel area?

i'm not an expert, but i imagine they are aren't that high up? i could be completely mistaken, though.
pipes are made so no liquid gets out...or in.

water doesn't play well with electric motors on pumps though.

You would be surprised with the lack of safety shut-offs some of these tank farms and plants have with the amount of flammable product pushed through...see: ITC.

A Chevron refinery in Pascagoula, MS had 8-10 ft of water during Hurricane Georges in 1997.

Lots of damage to pumps and electrical equipment, but no structural damage, fires, or loss of containment.

Mostly just a big ole mess to clean up.

IIRC, the facility was down for about 3 months.

They built concrete dikes after that which protected the refinery from any flood damage during Katrina, which was a much worse storm.
Big Al 1992
AG
CoachRTM said:

It's times like these you realize that our way back ancestors didn't have access to technology and understand that a storm like this was coming. I mean, look at the video posted above - looks like a normal day and we're 12 hours from devastation.

Could you imagine a 12-foot storm surge and then this mammoth storm that seemingly came out of nowhere with no warning? It kills all of your cattle, drowns your crops, and half of your friends. You can kind of understand why they thought it was God punishing them, etc.

There's a Fantastic book about exactly this - 1900 Galveston had no idea what was coming - didn't believe the fisherman that were coming back from sea - Isaac's Storm.
LostInLA07
AG
CoachRTM said:

It's times like these you realize that our way back ancestors didn't have access to technology and understand that a storm like this was coming. I mean, look at the video posted above - looks like a normal day and we're 12 hours from devastation.

Could you imagine a 12-foot storm surge and then this mammoth storm that seemingly came out of nowhere with no warning? It kills all of your cattle, drowns your crops, and half of your friends. You can kind of understand why they thought it was God punishing them, etc.

Kinda like people today are saying these hurricanes are the Earth fighting back because of climate change.
Cromagnum
AG
TXAG14 said:

Chaser broadcasts should be crazy tonight. Going to have the bourbon ready and kick back and watch all the adrenaline junkies.

Hopefully there is a blue shed somewhere
Fall92
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

CoachRTM said:

There's a Fantastic book about exactly this - 1900 Galveston had no idea what was coming - didn't believe the fisherman that were coming back from sea - Isaac's Storm.

That's a fantastic read. The Cuban weather service at that time was actually much better and spot on but nobody heeded their warnings. All of Larson's books are well done. Read his book on the Lusitania and am recurrently reading In the Garden of Beasts about the rise of Nazi Germany.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
SLAM
CoachRTM said:

For recent examples, just look at Galveston 1900 or the storm in Bangladesh that killed 500,000 people. When you don't have the tech to know what you're facing, really bad things can happen.
Jackal99
AG
Fall92 said:

Big Al 1992 said:

CoachRTM said:

That's a fantastic read. The Cuban weather service at that time was actually much better and spot on but nobody heeded their warnings. All of Larson's books are well done. Read his book on the Lusitania and am recurrently reading In the Garden of Beasts about the rise of Nazi Germany.

Yep. "Devil in the White City" is another crazy book.
SLAM
BillYeoman said:

This would be an absolute worst case scenario for Houston/Galveston. Almost zero preparation time and no evacuations. I shudder to think of the loss of life if that were the case.
JYDog90
AG
Interesting twitter thread

Formerly Willy Wonka
gigemJTH12
AG
SLAM said:

BillYeoman said:

This would be an absolute worst case scenario for Houston/Galveston. Almost zero preparation time and no evacuations. I shudder to think of the loss of life if that were the case.
youd be surprised. I know so many people still boarding up their windows right now. And I am calling them morons lol

so many evacuated too
LostInLA07
AG
Yep there were a lot of evacs. I imagine the chance of a sudden change in the storm track at this point is 0% or they wouldn't have moved Houston out of the uncertainty cone.
Beat40
Yeah, I still won't breathe easy until this thing makes a full north turn.
BillYeoman
Fall92 said:

Big Al 1992 said:

CoachRTM said:

History Channel did a great documentary on the book. One of their best documentaries I have seen
TXTransplant
Fitch said:

MAS444 said:

"Houston as we know it would be be pretty much gone."

Isn't that a little (or lot) dramatic?
My family lives in Dallas not far north of where the tornados tore through Preston Hollow last October. Winds there were 140 miles per hour and even driving through there as recently as this past weekend it is still recovering. Trees wiped out, roof and whole houses being rebuilt. Shopping center and schools still rebuilding.

Not too dramatic to say that IMO, given the scale difference b/t a blocks-wide tornado and miles-wide hurricane.

I'm not trying to imply this isn't a dangerous storm, but it's about more than just category/wind speed.

Katrina was a category 3 (125 mph winds) when it hit land the first time in LA. It weakened slightly to 120 mph when it made landfall the second time at the MS/LA border.

But it kicked up a 27 foot storm surge that went 6-12 miles inland. The storm surge wiped out about 90% of structures from Bay St. Louis to Ocean Springs, which is over 50 miles of coastline. Flooding extended all the way to Pascagoula, which was 75 miles from landfall. I-10 was also flooded and damaged in several places, including the section over the Pascagoula River, which is nearer to the MS/AL border.

Harvey was bad, but that water came up fairly slowly. The thought of a 27 ft wall of water hitting the coastline scares the poop out of me, and I grew up on the MS Gulf Coast. We honestly never imagined anything that bad.

The "saving grace" of that storm was that, at the time, the population of the three coastal counties and three counties to the immediate north was less than 400k people. So, a relatively small number of people were affected.

But the damage was truly horrific, and I don't even want to think about what it would look like if that kind of storm surge hit Galveston Bay.

TXTransplant
Jackal99 said:

Fall92 said:

Big Al 1992 said:

CoachRTM said:

Yep. "Devil in the White City" is another crazy book.

Just read The Splendid and the Vile, which is also excellent.
lunchbox
Fall92 said:

Big Al 1992 said:

CoachRTM said:

Read Garden of Beasts early on during the quarantine. Very well-done and fascinating to see what was happening from an American's perspective living in Germany at that time.
plain_o_llama
CoachRTM said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indianola,_Texas

Indianola is a ghost town located on Matagorda Bay in Calhoun County, Texas, United States. The community, once the county seat of Calhoun County, is a part of the Victoria, Texas, Metropolitan Statistical Area. In 1875, the city had a population of 5,000, but on September 15 of that year, a powerful hurricane struck, killing between 150 and 300 and almost entirely destroying the town. Indianola was rebuilt, only to be wiped out on August 19, 1886, by another intense hurricane, which was followed by a fire.

Louis L'amour's book Matagorda is set around the time of the 1875 storm.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Extended family had property along the water in Mississippi that was effected by katrina. The neighbors refused to evacuate. Said they've rode out every other hurricane. Neighbor lost his wife and four kids in the storm. Another neighbor was found dead in a chest freezer away from his property. Trying to use it as a boat.
The neighbor who lost his family only survived because he swam out into the storm surge and made it 50 yards to a huge oak tree. Said he looked up and the tree was covered in snakes searching for high ground as well.

SLAM
Willy Wonka said:

Interesting twitter thread

This is what the NHC is saying about Laura. Houston/Galveston would not be able to handle a storm of this magnitude. It's not a matter of if, it's when it will happen.
SLAM
randy828
AG
Sorry, but this just cracked me up. Channel 2 is covering the Gov press conference and they brought on a second guy, didn't catch his name and a reporter asked him about the buses shuttling evacuees to Austin are apparently showing up at hotels and the ones that they booked are now full by evacuees who are showing up individually.

Made me think of the classic Seinfeld where he is at the car rental place. "You know how to TAKE a reservation, but you don't know how to HOLD a reservation. And that is the most important part of the reservation".

LOL

I was in the room here one day... watchin' the Mexican channel on TV. I don't know nothin' about Pele. I'm watchin' what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in - upside down and backwards... the dang (sc) goalie never knew what the hell hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody's screaming in Spanish. I'
Cromagnum
AG
LOL. This BOI Galvestonian said he has 12 cans of tunafish so he's good to go to ride this one out.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
SLAM said:

I'd put it in a ziploc bag
And keep it in my pocket
Keep it in my pocket
Keep it in my pocket
schmendeler
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

SLAM said:

I'd put it in a ziploc bag
And keep it in my pocket
Keep it in my pocket
Keep it in my pocket
nicely done.
TXTransplant
one MEEN Ag said:

Extended family had property along the water in Mississippi that was effected by katrina. The neighbors refused to evacuate. Said they've rode out every other hurricane. Neighbor lost his wife and four kids in the storm. Another neighbor was found dead in a chest freezer away from his property. Trying to use it as a boat.
The neighbor who lost his family only survived because he swam out into the storm surge and made it 50 yards to a huge oak tree. Said he looked up and the tree was covered in snakes searching for high ground as well.

That makes me tear up even all these years later.

Thankfully, no one in my family died in the storm, but of my dad and his four siblings, all but one lost pretty much everything. One uncle was in his house as the surge washed it away. He was clinging on to the roof and a boat floated by. He grabbed it and stayed there until the storm passed.

My parents were in their house when it took on four feet of water. They were a little further inland, so the surge wasn't as dangerous, but it came up quick. They barely had time to put the cats and their brand new flat screen tv in the attic.

We had previously never evacuated for any storm. Both my parents and their families had lived through Camille in 1969, and no one thought it could be worse than that.

Diggity
AG
His book on Churchill is also great.
TXTransplant
Diggity said:

His book on Churchill is also great.

That one is The Splendid and the Vile that I mentioned above.

I love WWII history, and that one is from a totally different perspective than anything else I've read. Lots of interesting stories and tidbits of info that I'd never heard about, too.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.