Houston
Sponsored by

Tropical two-fer

527,448 Views | 3418 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by V8Aggie
chimpanzee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SPF250 said:

Quote:

Who all is enjoying feeling like your grandpa that told everyone about Hurricane Carla back in the 80's?
Missed it by that much.
Bad syntax on my part.

All the old dudes I was around in the 80's would talk about Carla every time we had a storm. It was in the early 60's, right?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
She gets a couple bonus Karen points for wearing latex gloves to pump gas.
Keegan99
AG
'61, I think.

Heard from my grandparents many times about the big tower sign at the old, pre-90's-renovation Meyerland plaza being blown over.
jetch17
AG
i woulda slashed that ho's tire
TxAg82
AG
chimpanzee said:

SPF250 said:

Quote:

Who all is enjoying feeling like your grandpa that told everyone about Hurricane Carla back in the 80's?
Missed it by that much.
Bad syntax on my part.

All the old dudes I was around in the 80's would talk about Carla every time we had a storm. It was in the early 60's, right?

I knew exactly what your saying. In the 80s everyone talked about Carla. Then it was Alicia. Then Allison and Ike. Hopefully Harvey will be the "where were you" storm for the next generation.
Seabreeze
Weather Channel guy seemed disappointed with the new Euro run east of Houston. So ill take that as a win right now.
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
So this is turning out to be a nothing burger for Houston?
Seabreeze
I didn't say that.
cone
AG
let's not start sucking each other's d-s just yet
drwong
AG
Anti-taxxer said:

Son of a *****.

We just spent two hours moving all of our *****

ETA: I'm happy not to get a direct hit. But damn. I could have been not moving all this stuff around.
Right there with you man. But I prefer to think of it as a sacrifice to the hurricane gods. Did you board up your windows?
Seabreeze
Im just saying the guy has been pumping this Westward trend with a continuous orgasm now he didn't get what he wanted and it's BUT,BUT,BUT..
Anti-taxxer
AG
drwong said:

Anti-taxxer said:

Son of a *****.

ETA: I'm happy not to get a direct hit. But damn. I could have been not moving all this stuff around.
Right there with you man. But I prefer to think of it as a sacrifice to the hurricane gods. Did you board up your windows?

No, but we cleaned out the backyard and garage.
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
Anti-taxxer said:

drwong said:

Anti-taxxer said:

Son of a *****.

No, but we cleaned out the backyard and garage.
Yeah I just did as well.

We are getting married downtown Friday night. **** 2020
Fitch
AG
Euro model that shifted east still coming in with a pretty good wind. Below speeds are in knots, so multiply by 1.15 to get mph.

If that snapshot were to hold true, we'd be looking at about 45 mph up and down I-45, Baytown around 80-90 mph and Port Arthur coming in at 180+ mph winds. Gonna suck regardless where it lands.

Edit: That's a lot of nested "if's". That'd put it at cat 5 and I haven't seen anyone seriously calling for that to be the case, though it has been noted to be a possibility. Added zoom in.
07fta07
AG
Tyrone_The_Tuna said:

So this is turning out to be a nothing burger for Houston?

This statement has a tendency to backfire horribly on these weather threads.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
180 plus jesus
cmag
drwong said:

Anti-taxxer said:

Son of a *****.

I bought plywood for my windows. Y'all are welcome. At least I didn't put it up yet. At the end of hurricane season that **** is gonna be my new attic floor. Tired of falling through my ceiling.
94chem
David_Puddy said:

rilloaggie said:

Is that from today? If so, it won't be long before that is turned into a racial injustice situation

As usual, I don't get anything out of it, but I keep thinking that one of these days I'll click on a grainy video and learn something. Sucker.
Big Cat `93
AG
TWC has two modes now: 1) nature is about to kill you and 2) you're killing nature.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Fitch said:

Euro model that shifted east still coming in with a pretty good wind. Below speeds are in knots, so multiply by 1.15 to get mph.

If that snapshot were to hold true, we'd be looking at about 45 mph up and down I-45, Baytown around 80-90 mph and Port Arthur coming in at 180+ mph winds. Gonna suck regardless where it lands.
No. Max wind on that map is not 180 mph.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
150ish
Map is fuzzy
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
cmag said:

drwong said:

Anti-taxxer said:

Son of a *****.

I bought plywood for my windows. Y'all are welcome. At least I didn't put it up yet. At the end of hurricane season that **** is gonna be my new attic floor. Tired of falling through my ceiling.
You should quit drinking so much before you take the trek up to the attic
Post removed:
by user
Fitch
AG
Top right corner says 161.3 knots, centered on the Sabine. What am I missing?
Ag_07
AG
Gig-Em2003 said:

Fitch said:

No. Max wind on that map is not 180 mph.

You're right...It's 185 mph

Max Wind of 161.3 knots = 185 mph
cmag
Tom Kazansky 2012 said:

cmag said:

drwong said:

Anti-taxxer said:

Son of a *****.

You should quit drinking so much before you take the trek up to the attic

Fortunately I quit drinking a long time ago. Previous owner put some inch thick particle board down which naturally you fall right through after it's been sitting in a hot humid attic for 20 years.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Fitch said:

I see that too. Not positive that's right though. 180 mph would be Cat 5 and Euro is not predicting that.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Those are gusts, not sustained.

Sustained winds, 1 min or longer, are used for category.
cmag
Gig-Em2003 said:

Fitch said:

I see that too. Not positive that's right though. 180 mph would be Cat 5 and Euro is not predicting that.

Cats are measures of sustained winds. Think that's a graph of gusts.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Got it.
Fitch
AG
Agreed. Confused me as well.
Fitch
AG
AH! Thanks for the clarification.
tjack16
AG
If I remember correctly didn't Harvey shock everybody with how powerful it was? I remember it being a tropical storm up until like 12 hours before landfall.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
East Texas / Louisiana trees going to need To be replanted
Gig-Em2003
AG
tjack16 said:

If I remember correctly didn't Harvey shock everybody with how powerful it was? I remember it being a tropical storm up until like 12 hours before landfall.
Yes. It was widely expected to be a big time rain event, but it escalated to a Cat 4 right as it made landfall near Rockport. It was not expected to make Cat 4.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.