Houston
Sponsored by

Tropical two-fer

521,857 Views | 3418 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by V8Aggie
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Home Depot was out of generators this morning, ran over to Lowes and snagged one. Hope I don't have to use it but glad to have it just in case.

The amount of folks in the parking lot loading up plywood, gas cans, etc. was pretty surreal for 8am in the morning....
GiggityAg01
AG
JJxvi said:

From my memory of myself friends and family after Ike. Heights-few days without power. Timbergrove-more than a week. Spring Branch - more than two weeks.

Lol. The less Ghetto the area is the longer it takes to get power.
JobSecurity
AG

This just explains how much a small change in initial position will influence the outcome of the runs
TxAg82
AG
94chem said:

Cedar Bayou Ag said:

Sheesh. Looks like Bolivar and Anahuac gonna have a shotgun wedding.
Does anybody remember the story of the couple who took a ride across the bay from Bolivar on their house? Crazy stories from Ike. Harvey sucked and was a disaster for so many people with all the flooding. But Ike was a real deal hurricane wind event. It is easy to forget about it after what Harvey did to the city.

https://www.chron.com/news/hurricanes/article/2-swept-across-bay-tell-how-they-survived-Ike-s-1757255.php
The TC Jester
sts7049 said:

nothing makes you more sure of commitment than getting a BJ behind a dumpster in midtown

I knew she was the one right then and there.
Kenneth_2003
AG
And those initial positions were yesterday evening... Before the storm crossed Cuba. BEFORE the storm took it's overnight jog due west!
Seabreeze
12Z Global
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
The TC Jester said:

third coast.. said:

The TC Jester said:

Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

Chase McGuire said:

I live across the street from Spec's. We're locked and loaded.
I rode out Ike at 2222 Smith. It was a fun party in the hallways.

You will be fine.

When these big storms are bearing down on us I'm always envious of young bucks living the apt life. Absolutely nothing to worry about. Worst case scenario, you lose power for a bit. But you've got Hurricane parties...Scared trim that needs comforting. Times you will never forget.

My escapades during ike were next level.

Ha, same. And the light bulb just clicked that the first sexual encounter with my wife was at a hurricane party in midtown 1 or 2 days after Ike. Out on a sidewalk.
If this thing gets bad, my partying at my complex is going to get real fun.
JobSecurity
AG
HtownAg92
AG
We were building a house during Ike and staying in a rent house that was very much just termites holding hands. My wife was on the ride-out team at a hospital, so it was just me and the dogs. I just drank and watched the news until the power went out, then hunkered on a mattress in the hallway when it went over. How that POS stayed up, I have no idea, but it did. Fences knocked down, but no roof or window damage.

Like everyone said, there were a couple of unseasonably cool days after the storm. Then it got hot again. We didn't notice until then that our POS rent house had no screens on the windows, so once the heat came back, so did the prehistoric mammoth mosquitos and we had no way to keep them out. Or the dogs in. Had to get netting when the stores opened back up, but didn't help with the dogs. Ask the mailman when delivery resumed.

The power went back on across the street a day after the storm. I got to look at the porch lights of those houses for two weeks before ours came back on. Another blessing since our POS had an electric stove.
tommyjohn
JobSecurity said:

This guy has nothing but bad news. Is he legit or fake news?
gougler08
AG
tommyjohn said:

JobSecurity said:

This guy has nothing but bad news. Is he legit or fake news?
Air Force Ag follows him and has posted his info, so assuming he's pretty legit
Kenneth_2003
AG
Seabreeze said:

12Z Global

So these runs were initialzied at 0700 local.

These were initialized at 0100 local.

The consensus models still aren't agreeing with the ensemble runs.
I wonder if those overnight runs took into account the due west movement that was seen when the storm first left Cuba. It would seem so based on the initiation point.
CoachRTM
AG
Rooting for it to hit anywhere east of Houston to keep the dirty side out that way. Each update makes that look less and less likely.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Greendale 87
AG
School closures now rolling in. Clear Creek stops at 12pm today thru Thursday.

Granted, they were on-line only, but my girls can now enjoy a full vacation versus partial vacation LOL
Burn-It
AG
Buckets, towels, etc. We have natural wood floors, so they don't like sitting water.
AKA 13-0
videoag98
AG
We had a house in Conroe that lost part of its roof during Ike. Rained all upstairs. We had our house for sale at the time and someone had just put down earnest money. After they saw the damage, they Nope'd out.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah...That's not good.

That's about as worst case as it can get.
swimmerbabe11
Frankie weighs in

https://www.facebook.com/536784430007829/posts/1446900728996190/
ag94beth
AG
J.D. c/o 05 said:

Bassmaster said:

Just had a whole home generator installed 3 weeks ago. I hope I don't have to use it, but I'm feeling pretty good about that decision right now.
Just bought a house and I've considered it since we moved in a few months ago, didn't want to rush into anything and wanted to do my "research".

Did same thing. Started looking just before threat of last storm but didn't "pull the plug". Hoping I don't regret that. Still debating staying or going, I'm in Spring and this is my first go around with this stuff, so, reading and listening to everyone's advice on here.

Stay safe!
Big Al 1992
AG
Tornadoes during hurricanes are the suck. One went down our street during Ike - hit 3-4 houses, bounced over ours and crushed the house behind us.

We watched one develop during Harvey - crazy watching wind blow in opposite directions then realize it was forming a funnel. Watched it take off several shingles but avoided us.

Where is your go to place in your house to shelter from tornadoes/wind? Master bath? Under stairs?
chimpanzee
ag94beth said:

J.D. c/o 05 said:

Bassmaster said:

Just had a whole home generator installed 3 weeks ago. I hope I don't have to use it, but I'm feeling pretty good about that decision right now.
Just bought a house and I've considered it since we moved in a few months ago, didn't want to rush into anything and wanted to do my "research".

Did same thing. Started looking just before threat of last storm but didn't "pull the plug". Hoping I don't regret that. Still debating staying or going, I'm in Spring and this is my first go around with this stuff, so, reading and listening to everyone's advice on here.

Stay safe!
Most everyone will be just fine, though we could be without power for a while which just sucks out loud. If it were just me and the Mrs, without kids and a dog in tow, I'd go to Vegas and sit by the pool for a week. Alas, alternate universe chimpanzee does not exist and so I will prepare myself for the possibility of sitting here listening to my family worry and complain.

Looks like I picked the wrong year to stop sniffing glue.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Probably in the closet under my stairs. Gonna get that cleaned out tonight or tomorrow evening.

Need to tidy that catch all up anyway.
David_Puddy
AG
sts7049 said:

nothing makes you more sure of commitment than getting a BJ behind a dumpster in midtown
bluefire579
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Tornadoes during hurricanes are the suck. One went down our street during Ike - hit 3-4 houses, bounced over ours and crushed the house behind us.

We watched one develop during Harvey - crazy watching wind blow in opposite directions then realize it was forming a funnel. Watched it take off several shingles but avoided us.

Where is your go to place in your house to shelter from tornadoes/wind? Master bath? Under stairs?
What part of town are you in?

For us, hall closet is definitely it
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
sts7049 said:

might be the best comment today
Premium
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

This. Ours is under interior stairs closet, not looking forward to it!
94chem
Premium said:

Big Al 1992 said:

This. Ours is under interior stairs closet, not looking forward to it!
I grew up in Fort Worth. Fortunately in Houston the twisters are usually just tree snappers and not foundation levelers.
MAROON
AG
probably had the best sleep of my life during IKE - it was one long sound machine. Woke up to leaves and tree limbs all over the street. It was still lightly raining and all my neighbors were out clearing their yards. Put on the rain jacket and our entire family hit the yard. In a few hours we had a six foot tall hill of leaves/limbs between the street and the sidewalk. Cleaned out the fridge (due to lack of power) and then moved to our friends house who had a generator and an ice machine. Commenced to have some great parties every evening - cool weather and cocktails.%A0

What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Teddy Perkins
AG
In Meyerland, riding it out and will leave if after the storm passes if we lose power for an extended time. Decision was made for me though. Have a hearing tomorrow morning and will not be trying to evacuate in a traffic jam.
fishag04
AG
sts7049 said:

The joys of owning a home in Midtown that backed up to an empty lot. Saw a Pirate bending over Dorothy once.
Cromagnum
AG
Sugarland Lowes has a bunch of portable generators (for the time being) if anyone needs one.
The TC Jester
It was pretty crazy how cool it was in the days immediately following Ike, I forgot about that. Made things much easier at the time.
AgCPA95
AG
The TC Jester said:

It was pretty crazy how cool it was in the days immediately following Ike, I forgot about that. Made things much easier at the time.
I was only 10 but I still remember how hot it was in the days after Alicia in 1983. We were in Kingwood and without power for days.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.