Houston
Sponsored by

Tropical two-fer

522,052 Views | 3418 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by V8Aggie
tk for tu juan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well, that answers my question
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

cone said:

does anyone north of 59 need to board windows?

Generally no. Something random could get kicked up by the wind, but I think it's pretty low risk.
if he's in kingwood, he might as well build an Arc.
Houston Lee
AG
I had $30K worth of damage from Ike. Back then my delectable for home repairs from USAA was $250.00

All the insurance companies changed their policies after Ike.

Now "wind and hail" is up to 2% the value of my home.
Nitro Power
AG
Jet Black said:

Loot! Loot! Loot!
Shoot! Shoot! Shoot!

"Looters will be shot, survivors will be shot again"
Kenneth_2003
AG
Just noticed... NHC issued a 0715 update.

Hurricane Laura

Quote:

Hurricane Laura Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL132020
715 AM CDT Tue Aug 25 2020

...NOAA HURRICANE HUNTER REPORTS THAT LAURA HAS BECOME A
HURRICANE...

NOAA hurricane hunter aircraft data indicate that Laura has become
a hurricane with maximum sustained winds of 75 mph (120 km/h), with
higher gusts.
Bert315
AG
Seabreeze said:

I do not want the CMC or Euro models..others are not ideal but will take..
ShotOver
AG
Bassmaster said:

Just had a whole home generator installed 3 weeks ago. I hope I don't have to use it, but I'm feeling pretty good about that decision right now.
Wow! Great timing!
Ragoo
AG
When do we get the Hurricane Laura coronabro bump?
ChipFTAC01
AG
I've got a lady who does work for me who literally got her home generator up and running last Friday.
Charlie Murphy
Traffic still looking ok...
ShotOver
AG
cone said:

does anyone north of 59 need to board windows?
North of Tyler.....? No. YW
Cedar Bayou Ag
AG

aggiedata
AG
Bigsteve said:

Bassmaster said:

Just had a whole home generator installed 3 weeks ago. I hope I don't have to use it, but I'm feeling pretty good about that decision right now.
Wow! Great timing!

Father in law got one right after Ike. Never had to use it more than a few hours since then!!! Now I hope it works as I plan to head over there soon.
Houston Lee
AG
ALSO--

If you live in NW Houston, the biggest concern you have is losing power for awhile and maybe some roof damage. Maybe a tornado if the storm hits the area directly.

As a native Houstonian, I have learned to just ride out the storm and asses afterwards. If you have any chance of being in the storm surge, then you should probably evacuate.
The TC Jester
Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

Chase McGuire said:

I live across the street from Spec's. We're locked and loaded.
I rode out Ike at 2222 Smith. It was a fun party in the hallways.

You will be fine.

When these big storms are bearing down on us I'm always envious of young bucks living the apt life. Absolutely nothing to worry about. Worst case scenario, you lose power for a bit. But you've got Hurricane parties...Scared trim that needs comforting. Times you will never forget.
JJxvi
AG
From my memory of myself friends and family after Ike. Heights-few days without power. Timbergrove-more than a week. Spring Branch - more than two weeks.
ShotOver
AG
aggiedata said:

Bigsteve said:

Bassmaster said:

Wow! Great timing!

Father in law got one right after Ike. Never had to use it more than a few hours since then!!! Now I hope it works as I plan to head over there soon.
I've thought about getting one also, but $12,000 is a lot to pay if you're only going to use it, say, every 6-8 years or so...But if I ever build again, I'll put one in. I would think it really increases the resale value of your home.
RebelE Infantry
AG
Make sure he fully tests it today, especially the battery.
aggiedata
AG
RebelE Infantry said:

Make sure he fully tests it today, especially the battery.

Good call. I'll go help him today.
TxAg82
AG
Chase McGuire said:

I am new to Houston and live in an apartment in Midtown. How does my area look during/after a hurricane? I'm from College Station, so I've never had to worry about them much.
I lived in an apartment in Midtown right after college when Ike hit. Downtown/Midtown got hit pretty hard. Broken glass from skyscraper windows was everywhere the next morning. The wind got pretty intense in the middle of the night and those 4 story wood-framed apartment buildings were definitely rocking and rolling. Transformers were blowing throughout the night and I watched Brennan's burn down from my balcony.

Our building's fire alarm went off at the peak of the wind and we all evacuated in 60-70mph wind over to the concrete parking garage. I went with a few other guys back into the building looking for any signs of smoke or fire because being in the parking garage was not a fun experience. After about 30 minutes we all went back into the apartment building.

My favorite part of the fire alarm experience was calling 911 - they took 5 minutes asking me all sorts of questions, then tell me they are no longer responding to calls due to high winds. I was like why didn't you just tell me that first... I could have already been out of this building.

Power was only out in the area 5-6 days instead of the 2-3 weeks that many others experienced. That is a definite positive if the track becomes worst case.

I was in my mid-20's and it was an exciting experience overall. I worked for the city so I had plenty to keep myself busy in the weeks following. I rode my bike to City Hall the first thing the next morning and got to work.

Now I am in my 30's with 3 kids under 5. I would want no part of that experience now.
CowtownAg06
AG
JJxvi said:

From my memory of myself friends and family after Ike. Heights-few days without power. Timbergrove-more than a week. Spring Branch - more than two weeks.
Very dependent on location. I was in Norhill and was 2 weeks without power.
TXTransplant
Bigsteve said:

aggiedata said:

Bigsteve said:

Bassmaster said:

Wow! Great timing!

I've thought about getting one also, but $12,000 is a lot to pay if you're only going to use it, say, every 6-8 years or so...But if I ever build again, I'll put one in. I would think it really increases the resale value of your home.

There is at least one house on my street that has a whole-house generator. It's across the street and a few doors down from mine. The thing no one tells you is, they are LOUD. Our power goes out every time a bird farts, and you can hear that generator all up and down the street, even when you're inside your own house.
Jock 07
AG
Folks are supposed to fly out of IAH on Sun to come see us, I'm assuming everything there will be back up and running by then.
Breggy Popup
AG
Why is it these things always come ashore at night?
JJxvi
AG
CowtownAg06 said:

JJxvi said:

Very dependent on location. I was in Norhill and was 2 weeks without power.
Yes it was very variable. I think i was without power for 4 days or maybe 5 days in the Heights, but friends within walking distance was a few more days.
Cliff Booth
AG
I was in Norhill for Ike and didn't lose power. I have no idea how.
redag06
I bet the owners don't hear it over the sound of their TVs, and air conditioning, etc
Ragoo
AG
TurkeyBaconLeg said:

ALSO--

If you live in NW Houston, the biggest concern you have is losing power for awhile and maybe some roof damage. Maybe a tornado if the storm hits the area directly.

As a native Houstonian, I have learned to just ride out the storm and asses afterwards. If you have any chance of being in the storm surge, then you should probably evacuate.
but how many cases of water, bleach and TP do I need?
TXTransplant
redag06 said:

I bet the owners don't hear it over the sound of their TVs, and air conditioning, etc

Haha...No doubt!
The TC Jester
third coast.. said:

The TC Jester said:

Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

Chase McGuire said:

I live across the street from Spec's. We're locked and loaded.
I rode out Ike at 2222 Smith. It was a fun party in the hallways.

You will be fine.

When these big storms are bearing down on us I'm always envious of young bucks living the apt life. Absolutely nothing to worry about. Worst case scenario, you lose power for a bit. But you've got Hurricane parties...Scared trim that needs comforting. Times you will never forget.

My escapades during ike were next level.

Ha, same. And the light bulb just clicked that the first sexual encounter with my wife was at a hurricane party in midtown 1 or 2 days after Ike. Out on a sidewalk.
TxAg82
AG
Jock 07 said:

Folks are supposed to fly out of IAH on Sun to come see us, I'm assuming everything there will be back up and running by then.
Probably will be fine. But, if a Cat 3 comes steaming through Galveston Bay all bets are off.
94chem
Cedar Bayou Ag said:

Sheesh. Looks like Bolivar and Anahuac gonna have a shotgun wedding.
sts7049
AG
nothing makes you more sure of commitment than getting a BJ behind a dumpster in midtown
Anti-taxxer
AG
sts7049 said:

nothing makes you more sure of commitment than getting a BJ behind a dumpster in midtown

BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAA

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.