*** THE MANDALORIAN - Season 1 ***

350,186 Views | 2480 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
CoachRTM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JCRiley09 said:

The answer might be "we don't know," but were those the last Mandalorians who died this season? Are we down to only 3 Mandalorians (counting BY and assuming the blacksmith lived)?

The blacksmith gave a vague answer of "maybe some of them were able to leave" when asked, so it's open-ended how many survived.
CoachRTM
AG
For the record, I love the show, but one thing I get frustrated about is how the stormtroopers and the empire are always referred to as scary and powerful, and off-screen they can take out a whole team of Mandelorians..... but yet they are completely incompetent when on screen.

Part of the Star Wars universe I guess.
AliasMan02
AG
JCRiley09 said:

The answer might be "we don't know," but were those the last Mandalorians who died this season? Are we down to only 3 Mandalorians (counting BY and assuming the blacksmith lived)?

No, that was just one "cell," is what I took from it.
CoachRTM
AG
The opening scene was hilarious to me.

- the banter between the stormtroopers
- the guy on the radio afraid of asking the Moff
- trying to shoot a "coke can" and badly missing

The whole thing was such a great moment removing some tension from the previous moment where BY was stolen and one of our favorite characters killed.

Im sure there are other references and moments that I'm forgetting.
TXAG 05
AG
tamusc said:

Rebels or Clone Wats if you haven't watched either of those.

The Imagineering Story is pretty good too.

This. I don't care a whole lot about Disney and their parks but I found the Imagineering series to be very interesting.

Clone Wars is hit or miss, but highly recommend Rebels.
AliasMan02
AG
CoachRTM said:

For the record, I love the show, but one thing I get frustrated about is how the stormtroopers and the empire are always referred to as scary and powerful, and off-screen they can take out a whole team of Mandelorians..... but yet they are completely incompetent when on screen.

Part of the Star Wars universe I guess.

The Stormtroopers were maybe the best part of the series for me. I love seeing them as troopers, clearing rooms and engaging in tactics.

The truth is they are as competent as required by the plot. They gave Mando all he could handle when necessary, but we're fodder when the time came.
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
My only gripe about the finale, if that storm trooper was going to hit baby Yoda one more time...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
YouBet
AG
Forgot to mention that I thought the opening dialogue by the speed bike troopers was kind of lame. I realize I will be in the minority here but it came off as very Kevin Smith to me. And I hate most of his movies.

I did like the can shooting scene during that but hated their dialogue. It was very out of place to me. I would have much preferred for them to be mostly silent or say very little but then have the can shooting scene.
Yoda
AG
YouBet said:

Forgot to mention that I thought the opening dialogue by the speed bike troopers was kind of lame. I realize I will be in the minority here but it came off as very Kevin Smith to me. And I hate most of his movies.
Only thing in your post anyone will agree with. I thought it was great. Those stormtroopers spend a ton of time just sitting around waiting for orders or something interesting to happen. Have you never wondered how they spend it? I laughed a ton at their banter, and the way they treated BY while they argued sure made it more fun when the IG unit wrecked shop.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Has anyone picked up that the droid in the 6th episode is none other than Maurice Moss (Richard Ayoade) from the IT Crowd?

Watching Mandalorian now and would know that voice anywhere.
Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
YouBet
AG
Yoda said:

YouBet said:

Only thing in your post anyone will agree with. I thought it was great. Those stormtroopers spend a ton of time just sitting around waiting for orders or something interesting to happen. Have you never wondered how they spend it? I laughed a ton at their banter, and the way they treated BY while they argued sure made it more fun when the IG unit wrecked shop.
No, I get it. It just cheapens the show to me.
Yoda
AG
While I disagree, I can understand that. Actually, one of the things I really enjoy about this being a TV series is the lowered stakes and expectations. If they had done that in a movie, I might feel a little bit of what you were feeling, but The Mandalorian feels like it is being made just to show us a ton of cool stuff and entertain the heck out of us. I appreciate the low pressure yet high returns the show offers.
Ag Since 83
AG
YouBet
AG
Yoda said:

While I disagree, I can understand that. Actually, one of the things I really enjoy about this being a TV series is the lowered stakes and expectations. If they had done that in a movie, I might feel a little bit of what you were feeling, but The Mandalorian feels like it is being made just to show us a ton of cool stuff and entertain the heck out of us. I appreciate the low pressure yet high returns the show offers.
Makes sense.
Ag Since 83
AG
I actually agree the humor of that scene was more Marvel than Star Wars (makes sense with Favreau and Taika)
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

I actually agree the humor of that scene was more Marvel than Star Wars (makes sense with Favreau and Taika)

Hears the thing, George Lucas is not a particularly funny man. So I think Star Wars and funny will feel awkward at first.

It only becomes a problem when the jokes are forced crowd pleasers and not a natural extension of the one telling the story.

Steve McQueen
YouBet
AG
PaulSimonsGhost said:

Ag Since 83 said:

Hears the thing, George Lucas is not a particularly funny man. So I think Star Wars and funny will feel awkward at first.

It only becomes a problem when the jokes are forced crowd pleasers and not a natural extension of the one telling the story.
I guess my issue is that it wasn't funny at all except for their target shooting. Their dialogue had nothing comedic about it. It was a conversation two normal dudes would have who were bored and who were not naturally funny.

Why are y'all getting me so hung up on this one scene?
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Holy crap balls! I'm watching that episode RIGHT NOW. That's Jason Sudeikis! Just checked, and yeah, that's him.

Apparently this scene pissed off a lotta people.

Let's see what the fuss is about...

Steve McQueen
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
I thought it was f' ing hilarious! How is that not funny to y'all?

Reminded me of I.M.P.s which is easily the best fan film ever.

Steve McQueen
YouBet
AG
PaulSimonsGhost said:

Holy crap balls! I'm watching that episode RIGHT NOW. That's Jason Sudeikis! Just checked, and yeah, that's him.

Apparently this scene pissed off a lotta people.

Let's see what the fuss is about...
They are pissed because he was hitting BY which is dumb because he's doing what his character would do in that situation because he's basically a Nazi.

Regardless, not a funny scene at all.
KTAG05
AG
I thought it was funny guess I should stop watching
DannyDuberstein
AG
Thought it was funny
Kate Beckett
AG
The shooting of the can (or lack thereof) made me laugh. The hitting of Baby Yoda did not.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Thought it was funny

That's because it WAS funny, Danny. It was funny.

Steve McQueen
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Kate Beckett said:

The shooting of the can (or lack thereof) made me laugh. The hitting of Baby Yoda did not.

But Baby Yoda BIT him! You can't reward bad behavior in children, Kate.

Steve McQueen
DannyDuberstein
AG
Baby yoda wouldnt take his bubble gum flavored amoxicillin
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
PaulSimonsGhost said:

Kate Beckett said:

But Baby Yoda BIT him! You can't reward bad behavior in children, Kate.

BY bit the trooper after he was hit, twice! Stop trying to victim shame him. At the very least New Republic CPS should be notified. At worst? Well maybe BY should have force choked a b****.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jeffk
AG
He's 50! CPS obviously has no jurisdiction in this situation.
Yoda
AG
These last few posts perfectly illustrate how random humor in Star Wars is a clearly a good thing.

Oh, and I have to agree... BY may have a rightful claim of police/trooper brutality, but as a 50 year old, the child abuse charge won't stick.
PatAg
AG
YouBet said:

PaulSimonsGhost said:

Ag Since 83 said:

I guess my issue is that it wasn't funny at all except for their target shooting. Their dialogue had nothing comedic about it. It was a conversation two normal dudes would have who were bored and who were not naturally funny.

The thing is, you thought there was nothing comedic about it. That's not a factual statement, thats an opinion. I would bet most people thought it was funny, specifically just having it be two troopers having a random discussion is funny.
YouBet
AG
PatAg said:

YouBet said:

PaulSimonsGhost said:

Ag Since 83 said:

The thing is, you thought there was nothing comedic about it. That's not a factual statement, thats an opinion. I would bet most people thought it was funny, specifically just having it be two troopers having a random discussion is funny.
I never said it was factual. It's purely my opinion.

Let's all move on now.
Yoda
AG
"No, you will listen! You will stand there, and you will listen."

You must agree, or there can be no peace.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG

Checked CPS web site.
Quote:

STATE LAW only applies to people under 18. If you suspect that the victim is 18 or older, call the local police.
*Exception: Children ages 18-21 who are handicapped and in a residential facility, are protected by State Law. If there is a reasonable suspicion of abuse or neglect by the facility staff, a report can be taken

So Baby Yoda does not meet the criteria set aside by CPS. Also, I'm not certain if the planet he was on at the time falls under US jurisdiction.

However, I find it disconcerting that so many support what is clearly a trend of OCD like behavior in the child.

Choking women, force lifting big horn things and incinerating Imperial troopers in a ball of flame and blast armour slag is indicative of a youth out of control.

If some degree of discipline is not exercised then the repercussions will likely be felt over the next 800 to 900 years of Baby Yoda's life.

Steve McQueen
YouBet
AG
PaulSimonsGhost said:

Checked CPS web site.
Quote:

STATE LAW only applies to people under 18. If you suspect that the victim is 18 or older, call the local police.
*Exception: Children ages 18-21 who are handicapped and in a residential facility, are protected by State Law. If there is a reasonable suspicion of abuse or neglect by the facility staff, a report can be taken

So Baby Yoda does not meet the criteria set aside by CPS. Also, I'm not certain if the planet he was on at the time falls under US jurisdiction.

However, I find it disconcerting that so many support what is clearly a trend of OCD like behavior in the child.

Choking women, force lifting big horn things and incinerating Imperial troopers in a ball of flame and blast armour slag is indicative of a youth out of control.

If some degree of discipline is not exercised then the repercussions will likely felt over the next 800 to 900 years of Baby Yod's life.
Palpatine has clearly possessed him. He's evil incarnate and we all lament his corrupted soul. When the general populace realizes this, it will cause a societal crisis. In fact, my wife's entire reason to live will be turned on its head.

Will be a cataclysmic, life changing day.
YellowPot_97
AG
Can't believe no one has mentioned that we finally got Mando's name, Din Djarin

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.