*** THE MANDALORIAN - Season 1 ***

331,706 Views | 2480 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This episode was essentially the same as one of the Clone Wars episodes. Granted, this episode's formula is as old as the written word. No matter.

I'm pretty sure Baby Yoda has triggered my wife's long dormant biological clock into overdrive. She can't stop talking about it. Will be some sexing this weekend. May the force be with you, Baby Yoda.
DVC2010
AG
Hagen95 said:

I believe The Way is not a Mandalore thing, just his conclave thing.

I'm assuming that a lot of "The Way" is a response to the great purge, which still hasn't been explained. I liked this episode a lot more than episode 3, but they're going to have to do something to make these FOBs less stupid than arbitrarily able to track anyone anywhere.
jokershady
AG
Yes did they explain in the first episode how those things actually work and what they're using to lock on to baby yoda?
DVC2010
AG
They did not, and I don't know a more compelling argument for making the episodes 10 minutes longer.
Hagen95
AG
I'm pretty sure you guys wouldn't be happy with just another 10 minutes per episode.
YouBet
AG
jokershady said:

Yes did they explain in the first episode how those things actually work and what they're using to lock on to baby yoda?
His midchlorian count.
bonfarr
AG
Is Mando's ship not armed? Wouldn't it make more sense to fly over the bad guys camp and take it and the AT-ST out with blasters from the sky? The same can be said of the Jawa crawler.
Duncan Idaho
jabberwalkie09 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

I was half expecting jack, teal'c and Samantha to show up during the first scene.

It just felt like an opening for stargate

Daniel must be dead and have ascended to being a force ghost I guess, eh?
one of those seasons when he was off with the episodes from season 6
Ghost91
I call this episode the 'Mandolorian A-Team' episode. Pure A-Team formula - whilst traversing the country (or galaxy) trying to stay one step ahead of the law, our hero(s) stumble across a sleepy little town where the local townsfolk are being bullied by something-something.

Face-Man bonds with hot local single mom store-keeper lady and promises to help. Musical montage kicks in as A-Team teaches bungling locals how to defend themselves, which end of the gun the bullets come out of, etc.
Montage is interspersed with humorous snippets of BA Baracus (Baby Yoda) engaging in hijinks with locals.

Sh*t gets real when bullies return. Local townsfolk prevail. Single mom and Face share a wistful look as the A-Team loads up in the van and heads down the road....

And I loved it. Don't need every episode to advance the big picture plot. Also loved this planet, scenery, blue shrimp etc.

Did no one else catch the pointy-eared cat thing from the Rebels cartoon? We haven't seen him/her before outside of that cartoon, right??

But the biggest pleasant surprise was that Cara Dune was not only NOT an annoying liberal insert, she is actually very likable. Seems to 'know her place', not smarting off to Mando constantly and one-upping him, etc. More of a badass, but appropriately slightly subservient partner, etc.

Thumbs-up.
redline248
AG
Lothcat looked a lot bigger than I would expect based on the cartoon

This show follows a very linear/cliche path, at times, and I really haven't cared.
wangus12
AG
bonfarr said:

Is Mando's ship not armed? Wouldn't it make more sense to fly over the bad guys camp and take it and the AT-ST out with blasters from the sky? The same can be said of the Jawa crawler.

Its armed. It was torn apart by Jawas so he couldn't use it the first time. Only excuse for ep. 4 is that using thship to blast a whole camp of raiders + an AT-ST might attract more unwanted attention and he's trying to stay low.
PatAg
AG
I'm sure it was just in an attempt to tell a style of story, but we were supposed to believe that he just forgot their are fobs that track Baby Yoday's whereabouts?
I guess they never 100% made it clear how they work, does someone have to just keep checking out various planets to find him and so on
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My biggest question right now is how those fobs work.
AliasMan02
AG
PatAg said:

I'm sure it was just in an attempt to tell a style of story, but we were supposed to believe that he just forgot their are fobs that track Baby Yoday's whereabouts?
I guess they never 100% made it clear how they work, does someone have to just keep checking out various planets to find him and so on

Remember the fob for Baby Yoda is incomplete in its data. Mando had to also be given the location to have a chance at tracking him down. He thought he was lost enough that nobody would find him.
AliasMan02
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

No explanation. I believe in Ep 1 he referenced a "Gene code" or something like that. I want to know as well, but honestly it's not important.
Ghost91
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I think I've got it figured out. There are TWO ways to find someone who is trying to hide in the Star Wars universe.

You have to either be a highly-skilled tracker mercenary with skills that have been developed over decades, OR you hold up a fob thingee and walk in the direction that makes it beep faster/louder like some interstellar game of Hot/Cold.
AliasMan02
AG
DVC2010 said:

Hagen95 said:

I believe The Way is not a Mandalore thing, just his conclave thing.

I'm assuming that a lot of "The Way" is a response to the great purge, which still hasn't been explained. I liked this episode a lot more than episode 3, but they're going to have to do something to make these FOBs less stupid than arbitrarily able to track anyone anywhere.

"The Way" is definitely a post-Purge thing and seems to be centered around rebuilding their numbers in secret while generating mystique. The objective seems to be to 1) hide their numbers and 2) ensure nobody can tell one Mando from another.

There was actually quite a bit in the episode. Got to the bottom of the rules regarding the armor and introduced a new character who will definitely be back. The hot widow also has some more character unpacking to do as she clearly has a history. I think we're building to a showdown with Mando gathering the troops. Remember the Big Bad hasn't even been introduced yet, as the Client only mentioned him in passing.
PatAg
AG
Definitely gonna have to go and take out the old former Imperial german guy
The Collective
AG
How was Gina Carano's character able to fist fight Mando? Makes no sense.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Rudyjax
AG
watchlisting.
PatAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

wangus12
AG
I Have Spoken said:

I wonder if she was a former Mando. She fought with the Rebellion and really sounded like she enjoyed the fighting and getting to take out Imperials. Hated it when it became peacekeeping.

"Forced into early retirement and told the Mando he had to move on when they first met because she was on the planet first
PatAg
AG
wangus12 said:

I Have Spoken said:

I wonder if she was a former Mando. She fought with the Rebellion and really sounded like she enjoyed the fighting and getting to take out Imperials. Hated it when it became peacekeeping.

"Forced into early retirement and told the Mando he had to move on when they first met because she was on the planet first
Said she was a shocktrooper for the republic, they would drop them in and just kill everything. Elite troops, Her being Mandolorian wouldn't really make sense to me.
wangus12
AG
True but maybe she was exiled from the conclaves before the Rebellion.

Also want to know the background on the widow although we might not see her again. She knew some of the Mando background with the helmet and could obviously handle a rifle. Saw a rumor on reddit saying she maybe was a former imperial gunner that used to be assigned to that AT-ST
Saxsoon
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

I was half expecting jack, teal'c and Samantha to show up during the first scene.

It just felt like an opening for stargate

Daniel must be dead and have ascended to being a force ghost I guess, eh?
We don't talk about Jonas Quinn
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
YouBet
AG
Are Republic Shock Troopers a new thing? And what era are we talking? My command of Star Wars timeline has gotten a bit rusty, so when I think Republic I immediately think Clone Wars era or pre-Empire ascension.

But it sounds like here (based on mop up duty comment) this was during five years post ROTJ. I guess I just didn't realize we had returned to the use of "Republic" post ROTJ.
birdman
I'm sure everybody here already knows this...

Gina Carano's father was backup quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys.
birdman
The fobs are convenient. I'm assuming that when you are born they take a genetic sample and/or put a chip in you. And they track from that.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I think the FOBs only work in close proximity...so likely only on planet. So trying to find a planet where no one suspects you is ideal. But their tiny battle made a little noise so people went to check it out... and boom...FOB starts beeping. In the first episode he asked for a last location and the FOB didn't start beeping till he was on the planet of baby Yoda I believe.
Rudyjax
AG
YouBet said:

Are Republic Shock Troopers a new thing? And what era are we talking? My command of Star Wars timeline has gotten a bit rusty, so when I think Republic I immediately think Clone Wars era or pre-Empire ascension.

But it sounds like here (based on mop up duty comment) this was during five years post ROTJ. I guess I just didn't realize we had returned to the use of "Republic" post ROTJ.

6 years post Jedi.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
exitone
AG
Ha... I didn't notice when watching this he took his soup with him. Love this guy.
exitone
AG
wangus12 said:

Also want to know the background on the widow although we might not see her again. She knew some of the Mando background with the helmet and could obviously handle a rifle. Saw a rumor on reddit saying she maybe was a former imperial gunner that used to be assigned to that AT-ST

Im thinking we have seen the last of the widow. I'm thinking most of these characters will make one or two appearances and be done. I would like to see Nolte's character again, but probably not until season 2 when they try and work him in again. Unless Mando rounds up him and Ginas character at the end of season 1 along with the other Mando's for an epic fight against the bad guys.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
exitone said:

Ha... I didn't notice when watching this he took his soup with him. Love this guy.

It was perfect comedic relief. He was even slurping the soup. I have to watch with CC and sound on, and in the middle of grunts and other SFX there was a ssssslllllrrrppp. And then the camera panned to Yoda holding his soup bowl.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.