*** THE MANDALORIAN - Season 1 ***

351,354 Views | 2480 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
TXAG 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sarduakar said:

SOLO is better than last jedi, Atttack of the clones and phantom menace. On par with force awakens.

Better than Revenge of the Sith as well. You Solo haters need to watch it again.
Fat Bib Fortuna
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Not to derail, but name one memorable/iconic moment in Solo.
Lando's introduction
the fog of war scene
Beckett's introduction
The incredible train sequence
Beckett teaching Chewie Djarik
Han boasting about the hired guns on the Falcon as it takes off and flies away
Enfys Nest's reveal
Han shoots first
TCTTS
israeliag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Objective Aggie
AG
I saw Solo and barely can remember ANYTHING about it. Woody Harrelson was there I think. And some necklace being traded back and forth. That's about all I remember. It was fun at the time.

The Madolorian is one of the best streaming shows in some time.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

"The prequels blow" takes are so tired and reductive.

Funny how well that works.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And calling it a textbook example of the hero's journey is not an indicator of quality, to me.

Not to mention the fact that Han's arc is literally the exact same arc he goes on in ANH. It adds nothing noteworthy to his character, IMHO. He's the rogue pirate who only cares about money but ends up having a heart. Yeah, we already knew that.

And the fact that some random imperial officer gives him the name "Solo" because he has no family rivals some of the worst stuff in the prequels, to me. Such a dumb answer to a question nobody was asking.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
The fact it didnt add anything to his character, also means it also didnt detract, but that is what the prequels and the sequels have done to certain characters and ideas. It was safe movie. And thus still ends up in the middle of the pack for me.
jokershady
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Lando's introduction
the fog of war scene
Beckett's introduction
Enfys Nest's reveal
Han shoots first

Also:

Chewies introduction
"Not if you round down buddy"
Han planning for the double cross at the end
Darth Maul reveal

Ya....this one really grew on me after watching and now is much higher on my list
easttexasaggie04
AG
I tried to watch the prequels when Disney+ first launched to give them another chance. I gave up... so dang bad.
amercer
AG
The problem with Solo is that it was a movie no one needed or wanted.

We already had three awesome young Han Solo movies.

Still it wasn't bad. But like so much in Star Wars, Disney and Lucas Film seem determined to not expand the universe.
bearamedic99
AG
amercer said:

Still it wasn't bad. But like so much in Star Wars, Disney and Lucas Film seem determined to not expand the universe.

I'm not familiar with the three young Solo movies but the rest of your statement is a big Texas-sized 10-4. To be fair...
redline248
AG
I will agree that getting his name from a random imperial was total weak sauce.

I think what his real arc was actually going from guy with a heart to guy who didn't give a crap. From the end of that movie to the end of Star Wars he was a total me guy. Approximately 10 years of smuggling, with the knowledge of the fight against the empire...and he was not interested.
PatAg
AG
I would have liked to see a Solo movie after he already has Chewie and the Falcon. We all know who he is, just drop us into his world and show us some cool *****
redline248
AG
PatAg said:

I would have liked to see a Solo movie after he already has Chewie and the Falcon. We all know who he is, just drop us into his world and show us some cool *****

You mean you want to know why Greedo was waiting for this for a long time?
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

And calling it a textbook example of the hero's journey is not an indicator of quality, to me.

Not to mention the fact that Han's arc is literally the exact same arc he goes on in ANH. It adds nothing noteworthy to his character, IMHO. He's the rogue pirate who only cares about money but ends up having a heart. Yeah, we already knew that.

And the fact that some random imperial officer gives him the name "Solo" because he has no family rivals some of the worst stuff in the prequels, to me. Such a dumb answer to a question nobody was asking.

Huh? Han has the same personality as in the OT, sure, but his arc in Solo is from naive youth to learning NOT to trust anyone but himself (save for his trusty sidekick). Everyone will betray you. And by the end of the movie, everyone - Qi'ra, Beckett, and Lando - do just that. That, and Han decides NOT to join the budding rebellion when given the opportunity. Yet, in A New Hope, he goes from loner to team player (in which he ultimately finds that true friends won't betray you) and JOINS the Rebellion in the end. It's literally the exact opposite arc.
TCTTS
AG
Beat me to it.
Jason_Ag98
AG
"Not to derail, but ..."

*proceeds to derail*
Fat Bib Fortuna
I am super excited about Han Solo being in the Mandalorian!
The Collective
AG
Two different formats; difficult to compare them. And why should I? I like both.

Edit: I see my new username is operational.
JABQ04
AG
bearamedic99 said:

amercer said:

I'm not familiar with the three young Solo movies but the rest of your statement is a big Texas-sized 10-4. To be fair...

Letterkenny is great

v
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I Have Spoken said:

Two different formats; difficult to compare them. And why should I? I like both.

Edit: I see my new username is operational.

Crazy, we're only 3 episodes in and already have two memorable quotes, plus one internet phenomenon.
Kate Beckett
AG
Where is my baby Yoda plushie?!
Ghost91
Re-watched Ep 1 and caught something I missed the first time. Don't think it was discussed here.

When Mando goes to the Cantina to collect his bounty from Apollo and ask for his next assignment, Apollo starts showing him some pucks. I think 3 out of the 4 pucks were "jumped bail", but on the fourth puck, Apollo kinda raises his eyebrows and says something like, "ohh, this one's for a smuggler".

Could that be Solo? Five years after ROTJ, so I'd think he'd be involved with the Republic and not gone back to smuggling, but thought Apollo's line seemed awfully random/interesting.
jokershady
AG
Going back to the music.....

Do y'all think there's ANY chance we hear any scores from the original Star Wars themes? I have a feeling they're saving a familiar piece of music for a big reveal at some point.

To face you an idea of what I'm thinking....

Go back to TFA when after Kylo defeats Fin, he's trying to force grab the saber and instead of it flying to him, we see it go to Rey and BAM! we get hit with the Star Wars "Force Theme" music.

Not that the music in this hasn't grown on me cause it really has! But just thinking that they're saving one piece of music familiar to us all for a major moment or reveal in this thing before the first season is over.
wangus12
AG
I was half expecting it went baby Yoda lifted the Mudhorn. In fact, I was kinda disappointed it didn't play and I'm one that has enjoyed the music so far.
Fat Bib Fortuna
TCTTS said:

Huh?

I always envision Stormtrooper Luke responding to Leia's observation that he is a little short for a stormtrooper when TC pulls this card.
The Collective
AG
I like that they have stayed away from the familiar themes so far. I won't be surprised to see some twist on the force theme at a later point.
Fat Bib Fortuna
Ghost91 said:

Could that be Solo? Five years after ROTJ, so I'd think he'd be involved with the Republic and not gone back to smuggling, but thought Apollo's line seemed awfully random/interesting.
Han and Leia got pregnant and had Ben almost immediately after ROTJ, and it appears that lasted at least until Ben's teen years, so not him. Plus the bounty on Han Solo would probably be close to Baby Yoda's bounty.
Fat Bib Fortuna
jokershady said:

Going back to the music.....

Do y'all think there's ANY chance we hear any scores from the original Star Wars themes? I have a feeling they're saving a familiar piece of music for a big reveal at some point.

To face you an idea of what I'm thinking....

Go back to TFA when after Kylo defeats Fin, he's trying to force grab the saber and instead of it flying to him, we see it go to Rey and BAM! we get hit with the Star Wars "Force Theme" music.

Not that the music in this hasn't grown on me cause it really has! But just thinking that they're saving one piece of music familiar to us all for a major moment or reveal in this thing before the first season is over.
I'd like to hear a really bad ass Imperial March riff. Like if he ends up going somewhere that is clearly still 100% empire controlled.

I think they shied away from the Force theme because for Mando and everyone else what happened is 100% a mystery. He's clearly never seen anything like it, and although Baby Yoda is a driving factor of his actions right now, it's still his story.

easttexasaggie04
AG
When they interviewed Kirkby Smart after the Georgia win he should have said "It wasn't a noble kill."
wangus12
AG
jokershady said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Lando's introduction
the fog of war scene
Beckett's introduction
Enfys Nest's reveal
Han shoots first

Also:

Chewies introduction
"Not if you round down buddy"
Han planning for the double cross at the end
Darth Maul reveal

Ya....this one really grew on me after watching and now is much higher on my list
I loved Solo. I know it took the big hit from the fallout of the TLJ, but Solo was a really fun film to me. In fact, I'd put Solo & Rogue One above either of the sequel movies and 2 of the prequels.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I also don't get the love for Solo, so you may also enjoy this:

Buckled up for almost an hour.
jokershady
AG
wangus12 said:

I was half expecting it went baby Yoda lifted the Mudhorn. In fact, I was kinda disappointed it didn't play and I'm one that has enjoyed the music so far.
At first I thought this too, but now I'm glad they didn't.

To me if they did this it all it would have to be something bigger that actually brings in an object/major character from the main Star Wars films.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Damn! Long video but will try to get around to it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.