*** THE MANDALORIAN - Season 1 ***

351,575 Views | 2480 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ghost91
Skimmed the thread, but is there a reason why 'baby must be Yoda's' is so widely endorsed?
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
I dont think many people on this thread think Yoda got busy and has an actual kid. Most think it is a clone or the force birthed a "new" Yoda. Since there is conjecture in some of the books that there are very fews of Yodas species and that are naturally force sensitive. People just say baby yoda since no one knows the species name
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
TCTTS said:

bonfarr said:

Will the episode be up after midnight tonight? I may have to have a cup of coffee around 9 and stay up to watch if it is.

Midnight Pacific. So 2 AM CT, 3 AM ET.

Excellent. I have second shift with the baby tonight. It starts around midnight and goes until 3 am usually.
kbw01
AG
From what I have seen of clone wars, boba fett would not say he is a foundling. Mandalor fell before the end of the Clone Wars so that woul put The Mandalorian at almost 50 if he was a Mandalorian foundling. I agree more with the camp that The character was adopted by Mandalorian refugees and they continue to raise war babies to grow their clans faster than being ethnic Mandalorian.

Everything leads to the baby being a yoda clone. Is the Mandalorian just struck because of his own baggage and honor about chasing a baby, or is there something special and widely known about this race. I don't think they would know much about Yoda.

I have been listening to the Aftermath series on audible, one of the first canon trilogies after Disney, it insinuates that Darth Sideous is older than Sheeve Palpatine. I think sideous has a way to jump into force sensitive bodies. It could be that he had Yoda cloned to assume a long living and powerful body. The droid was sent to stop this and the Mandalorian is hired by somebody trying to bring sidious back
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
amercer
AG
I don't think the baby is a clone. I think he was one of the kids taken by the empire, and now he's a really valuable relic. I do think the scientist wants to clone him.
JCRiley09
AG
Agreed
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Did any you ever see Yoda get wet?

Maybe Mace Windu accidentally spilled a cup of water on him and <pop>! Baby-Y! Like a mogwai / gremlin
maca1028
#releasetheentireseason
JCRiley09
AG
I enjoy the conversations that can be had between episodes. Compare our stranger things threads to shows like game of thrones or breaking bad
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
E
AG
Ghost91 said:

Skimmed the thread, but is there a reason why 'baby must be Yoda's' is so widely endorsed?

Well, because science. You see, when a mama yoda and a daddy yoda love each other, they get together and make a baby yoda.
Dro07
AG
No way. These threads are so much better when we get a weekly release. Kinda missed this at time
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Dro07
AG
PatAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I think part of my slight disappointment in the first episode was the complete lack of context and history of the Mandalorians themselves. Though, I'm hoping this will be revelaed throughout the series.

I guess I was hoping for more of a proper "setup" rather than just dropping us in the middle of the action, but then again, this is Star Wars, not Game of Thrones.
I'm still catching up on the thread, only just now watched the episode. This is exactly WHY I'm a huge fan of this episode so far. I love that they aren't explaining every single thing to the smallest detail.
PatAg
AG
C@LAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Given that you didn't quote said post, I'm going to assume you are lying.

You would be wrong.
I do remember someone making that speculation.
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Yeah, I liked the vibe/tone for sure. And the overall story is cool. It just felt rushed to me for no reason. They could have easily made it an hour, provided a bit more context, and let it breathe just a bit more. Oh, well. We've at least got the setup out of the way...
I'm curious, what makes it feel rushed to you?
We don't yet know where the story is going or what story is being told. Is it just the pacing in general felt rushed? If so, I took it as a way to show what his life currently is about. He hunts bounties down, and wants to pick up new jobs right away. "no frills" life. Maybe it just comes down to what kind of story you are in the mood for.
TCTTS
AG
PatAg said:

TCTTS said:

Yeah, I liked the vibe/tone for sure. And the overall story is cool. It just felt rushed to me for no reason. They could have easily made it an hour, provided a bit more context, and let it breathe just a bit more. Oh, well. We've at least got the setup out of the way...
I'm curious, what makes it feel rushed to you?
We don't yet know where the story is going or what story is being told. Is it just the pacing in general felt rushed? If so, I took it as a way to show what his life currently is about. He hunts bounties down, and wants to pick up new jobs right away. "no frills" life. Maybe it just comes down to what kind of story you are in the mood for.

I don't at all mind being thrown into the action or it having a "no frills" quality. I actually enjoy movies that start right in the middle of an action sequence, and I prefer stripped-down over bells-and-whistles in general. I just feel like it needed another, say, eight minutes or so, at least, to let it breathe just a tiny bit more. I actually watched it again today during lunch and it definitely works better the second time around. But two sequences stood out to me as still being way too short: 1) the Mandalorian home base/armor-melting sequence, and 2) the stuff with Nick Nolte's character.

As for the Mandalorian home base stuff, it just felt clunky. It was like he walks in and then what feels like 10 seconds later we're all the sudden seeing this kind of crappily-edited metal-melting/flashback sequence that was hastily jammed in there. After the first viewing, a friend had to explain to me the importance of the metal and all that - and I do admit it was easier to follow the second time, as they give just enough context clues - but I still needed more from that scene. Either more lore or more of a relationship/connection with the metal melter woman or something. Instead, he just walks in, the metal is melted and cools in no time, while we get this quick, shoddy, flashback/dissolve sequence, and then we're all the sudden out of there. I just needed like three more minutes there so it didn't feel so rushed. As I said earlier, it also didn't help that it was two characters conversing behind masks, which bugged me as well.

With Nick Nolte's character, same thing. Just another three to five minutes with him would have been more than enough. But that sequence where the Mandalorian kind of sort of concentrates harder for about three seconds and somehow tames that alien thing felt like the most half-assed version of that type of scene; a scene we've seen done so much better in a dozen other movies. Why not play that out just a bit more? Make it a little more of a challenge? And why not have more of a connection/moment with Nolte's character, even in the smallest of ways? It was especially annoying when Nolte's character told the Mandalorian that everyone had died who came to challenge the encampment at the end, but then it seemed relatively easy for the Mandalorian and the droid to take out the entire place fairly quickly and efficiently. In a Mission: Impossible movie, that ends up being a whole, big thing. They obviously didn't need to go that big, but it was just another example of a warning or a pep talk or whatever that ended being relatively easy to overcome after the fact. Both could have been bigger moments/sequences, I guess is what I'm saying.

There were just so many times where a sequence would start and then - bam - we were already on to the next one before you had any sort of feel for the last one. But not in a fast-paced kind of way. Rather, it felt like it had been edited for time to show on network TV or something, which made it all the more confusing, since they could have fleshed this thing out all they wanted. Overall, because the Mandalorian was never allowed to stay in any one place for more than two minutes, I didn't really connect with him or his journey at all. There was no real character building or character moments that made me care about anything that was going on. It was just rushed edit after rushed edit.

That said, for what it was, I thought the final showdown sequence was pretty good, and again, I of course loved the reveal/setup at the end. There were definitely some cool moments among more of the rushed stuff (the Warner Herzog sequence, in particular, was great) and the whole thing looked amazing as well. I just hope that with a clunky setup out of the way, it flows a bit better from here on out, scenes get to breathe a bit more, and I actually start to care about the Mandalorian himself.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Second episode is fun.
Ag Since 83
AG
Gotta love Jawas
The Collective
AG
This show rocks.

I have spoken.
Kate Beckett
AG
Thoroughly enjoyed episode 2.
wangus12
AG
Love where this is going. Gonna be some internal conflict coming soon. Baby Yoda is coming for Baby Groot's title of cutest thing in the galaxy.
exitone
AG
This is what we are going to get with Disney+ and this expanding of the universe... all these cool little things we have seen for a few seconds on screen - we are going to get to go more in depth and have a little bit more fun. The 'life of a jawa' we got to see was a load of fun. This was basically exploring the jawas while watching Indiana Jones try and chase the Nazis down. It was awesome.
lunchbox
exitone said:

This is what we are going to get with Disney+ and this expanding of the universe... all these cool little things we have seen for a few seconds on screen - we are going to get to go more in depth and have a little bit more fun. The 'life of a jawa' we got to see was a load of fun. This was basically exploring the jawas while watching Indiana Jones try and chase the Nazis down. It was awesome.
I thought they were going to use the egg for something a bit more...useful. Stupid jawas....
twilly
AG
I was waiting for a "disgusting creatures" line to be delivered when the Jawas were getting all giddy with their prize.
wangus12
AG
lunchbox said:

exitone said:

I thought they were going to use the egg for something a bit more...useful. Stupid jawas....
Knew they were gonna do something dumb with. I was kinda thinking they'd take it to the top of the crawler and gravity check it
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Loved the egg and Jawas. Like kids getting a Cadbury egg at Easter. Just dumb fun. Especially in light of all the trouble he had to go through to get it. Just amplified his exhaustion and frustration with the situation.
lunchbox
Wait a sec...

Is/was Mando on Tatooine? If he isn't, this seems to be the first canonical glimpse of a group of Jawas on another planet.

So...either Baby Yoda was hidden on the same planet Baby Luke was hidden on...or all the wookiepedia pages on Jawas need to be updated...
wangus12
AG
No it was Arvala-7.

True, no canon info on them being on other planets, but tons of stuff in the Legends
twilly
AG
The latest round of action figures has an "Offworld Jawa"
Dro07
AG
Hate that these are so dang short.

I wonder if this is going to be like Lone Wolf and cub

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.