*** THE MANDALORIAN - Season 1 ***

332,341 Views | 2480 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think he might tie into the FO. Would be cool.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Any chance Baby Y is a clone?

Baby Y is 50

The Mandalorian is 5 years after RotJ
RotJ is 4 years after ANH
ANH is 32 years after TPM
50 - 5 - 4 - 32 = 9

Baby Y was born 9 years before TPM... a Kaminoan clone of Yoda?
amercer
AG
So we aren't supposed to know who the old imperial guy is? I felt like there were references/Easter eggs everywhere in the episode, but that I wasn't catching them.
Urban Ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I really, really, like that they keep Lucas involved. It's very classy and respectful. It's his baby. It's always been his baby. Very cool.
bonfarr
AG
One of my favorite parts was the kowakian monkey lizard (Salacious Crumb was a kowakian monkey lizard) roasting on the spit. I also liked the reference to the vac tube.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oh. I like that.
Dro07
AG
So same age as Vader like I said
TCTTS
AG
I love the idea of the Force producing the Yoda species for whatever reason, the Empire knowing how powerful the species can be, and the remnants of the Empire wanting to either try and harness or kill this latest of the species that has now come to their attention. That's a GREAT premise, should it turn out to be something in that general vicinity.

That said, I thought the first half of the pilot was kind of rushed, bland, and clunky. That blue prisoner alien felt like something out of a '90s Star Trek episode - not Star Warsy at all - and faceless characters conversing behind masks gets real old real fast. But the second half with the droid and the ambush was great stuff, and again, the setup for the rest of the series was inspired.

I'm a little disappointed overall - it felt way more "TV-ish" than I was expecting in terms of pacing - but I'm chalking it up to growing pains for now, and am still more than excited to see where this goes...
AliasMan02
AG
A couple of observations after reading the thread.

- I'm in, obviously, but I didn't think it was GREAT. I'm excited for it, but do think there was a lot of setup in there. Maybe too much attention on Easter eggs for the first episode. Also think the pacing was a little weird. Not sure the whole Blergh attack and riding added much, for example.

- I find it unlikely that the baby at the end is Yoda's actual child. It's a great hook, though. And I can't believe Disney let them do it.

- Seeing all the other Mandalorians was a HUGE surprise. Loved that.

All in all I'm going to watch again and an very much looking forward to Friday.
bankshot11
AG
Oh man I was geeking out during that episode.

Best part to me was finding out that they actually do use toilets in Star Wars
Flashdiaz
AG
Liked the marvelish StarWars intro with the different faces making up the Star Wars letters
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, that was super cool.
israeliag
AG
Just finished. I don't know what y'all are saying yet, but holy **** that was ****ing awesome. Even the cheesy parts were done so damn well.

This has this awesome vibe of a weird mix of Judge Dredd, a cowboy Western, and some unfiltered uncut unadulterated Star Wars. It's this modern and psycho 70s-80s sci-fi
israeliag
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Any chance Baby Y is a clone?

Baby Y is 50

The Mandalorian is 5 years after RotJ
RotJ is 4 years after ANH
ANH is 32 years after TPM
50 - 5 - 4 - 32 = 9

Baby Y was born 9 years before TPM... a Kaminoan clone of Yoda?

I could dig it - though I don't think Yoda had gone to Kamino... Unless maybe Master Syphadius had some of his DNA.

But, that the doctor sidekick of Werzog did act surprised when "alive" wasn't the only option does make me think there's sciencey here and a clone would be a good fit for that.
bankshot11
AG
Doesn't Yoda go pick up the clone army from Kamino and take them to Geonosis in Attack of the Clones?
Aggie_Journalist
AG
That was a fun first episode, though the pacing did feel a bit slow and off at times, as others have mentioned.

Given the IG droid said he was sent there to terminate the baby Y, and Mando mentioned being surprised another bounty hunter had been sent after the same bounty, I'm in the camp that thinks he was sent by someone other than the imperial who sent the Mandalorian, and I bet that means we'll see rival imperial factions in this series.

With the emperor dead, I'm sure more than one Moff or Governor decided they were the best candidate to replace him. If this touches the movies in any way, I bet it's revealing the empire is fractured after Endor and maybe showing that the group that becomes the First Order isn't the only imperial remnant on the block.
Thanks and gig'em
Urban Ag
AG
WHOOPThatTrick
AG
What was up with the music? It shouldn't be full blown Star Wars music if we're going to be watching this every week, but shouldn't they give a little taste here and there to remind us where we are?
redline248
AG
Getting out of the opening "act" was probably the hardest thing to do. Have to introduce him, set him as a badass, tell us what he's doing, etc... That carbon freezing chamber doesn't seem too safe just open like that.

How long do we have to keep putting specific stuff in spoilers? I hate typing out the code on my phone
TCTTS
AG
Just FYI, I see some people here saying this is a nine-episode first season, but it's actually eight. The official site announced the episode count a while back. Here's the schedule / director list...

11.12.19 - Chapter 1 - Dave Filoni
11.15.19 - Chapter 2 - Rick Famuyiwa
11.22.19 - Chapter 3 - Deborah Chow
11.29.19 - Chapter 4 - Bryce Dallas Howard
12.06.19 - Chapter 5 - Dave Filoni
12.13.19 - Chapter 6 - Rick Famuyiwa
12.18.19 - Chapter 7 - Deborah Chow
12.27.19 - Chapter 8 - Taika Waititi

- Six of the eight episodes release on a Friday (at midnight Pacific).
- Chapter 1 obviously released on a Tuesday, while Chapter 7 will release on Wednesday the 18th (as to avoid Episode IX's release on the 19th/20th).
- Deborah Chow, who directs Chapters 3 and 7, is directing all six episodes of the Obi-Wan series.
TCTTS
AG
redline248 said:

How long do we have to keep putting specific stuff in spoilers? I hate typing out the code on my phone

I don't know why people are doing that. We don't do it for any other show and it was already decided that this will be a spoiler thread the moment each episode is released. I didn't use spoiler tags for my reaction.
redline248
AG
Btw, which character was Taika?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
redline248
AG
C@LAg said:

redline248 said:

ig11

No wonder I didn't recognize him
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
WHOOPThatTrick said:

What was up with the music? It shouldn't be full blown Star Wars music if we're going to be watching this every week, but shouldn't they give a little taste here and there to remind us where we are?
I really liked it. It wasn't any overt Star Wars themes, but it did have a good feel to it. And there were some sounds (many) that were direct ties to movies. For example in the Mandalorians theme you here the hollow hooting noises that are prevalent in Attack Of the Clones when Obi-Wan and Anakin are chasing down the changeling and bump into Jengo Fett.
Noblemen06
AG
I've got some serious envy about missing out on this right now. Stationed in Okinawa and Disney+ has a serious region lock on their app and website, even with a quality VPN. Doesn't even let me get to a sign up page. Guess I'll check this out in a couple of years!
Ag Since 83
AG
C@LAg said:

redline248 said:

C@LAg said:

redline248 said:

ig11

No wonder I didn't recognize him
he is trying method acting and lost some weight.
It's really helping with his flexibility
PooDoo
AG
Noblemen06 said:

I've got some serious envy about missing out on this right now. Stationed in Okinawa and Disney+ has a serious region lock on their app and website, even with a quality VPN. Doesn't even let me get to a sign up page. Guess I'll check this out in a couple of years!

I first read this a Oklahoma and was like, wtf Disney!
I'd bet there are already torrents if you are into that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
How freaking cute is this baby Yoda though?

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Have we talked about those flashbacks with young Mando? We speculated a lot about who it could be, but somehow, I don't think anyone floated the idea of it being the Mandalorian himself?

I figured it had to be a flashback though, cause of the prequel-era battle droid in the back. (Thanks SW Theory.)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.