***** WESTWORLD Season 2 (HBO) Official *****

254,844 Views | 2472 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bearamedic99
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Poor Teddy. All by himself.

Why even bring him back? The only thing he really wanted (Dolores), he couldn't have.

The poor guy can't catch a break even by killing himself.
mhayden
Thats what i assumed, but then that means Dolores risked everything allowing the MiB to even have his gun, much less having 4 regular rounds to fire off before the dud.

Only way that scene makes any kind of sense is if Dokores already knows what William will do, and she hasn't learned those things yet.
bobinator
AG
So this goes back to the "it's plausible, but it would have been nice if they either left it out or explained it on screen."

She actually does kind of know what William is going to do. She's been around him A LOT so maybe she knows that at distance he's going to shoot for the body and he would only shoot at the head at very close range which is why she doesn't walk right up to him until she knows he only has the one shot left.

But yeah, that's another example of just an unnecessary complication of the plot.

Another way they could have written around that would be for the MIB to always use a rifle when he's shooting from distance or on horseback and only try to use his pistol once they're dismounted and he's shooting at Dolores. That way it would make some sense that she sabotaged his pistol knowing that she would be the only one he would be close enough to be trying to shoot with it or something.
MW03
AG
emtes said:

He was alive when Charlores was speaking to Stubbs before getting on the boat. The other qa chick said something to the effect of an important person being found alive and in bad shape. It showed William moving.

Back from my self-imposed ban and trying to catch up to everything, so forgive me if this has been covered.

Everyone that was in the park was copied. We saw "Forge William" when the real William was still alive. We know Emily was killed, but was also in the park and therefore copied.

We know that Ford tasked Delores with remaking Arnold because she spent the most time with him and knew him best. We also know that Delores "changed" aspects of Arnold when she made Bernard. We also know that Delores likely perfected Bernard in the Cradle first, so it makes since that the same could happen in the Forge as well.

We know William was a grievously injured VIP inside the park when Hale/Delores was extracted.

Is Forge Emily, who likely knew her father best outside Westworld, perfecting Forge William before they take him live? In other words, are we going to have 2 versions of William in the real world in seasons to come?
bobinator
AG
Lisa Joy sort of said that the scene with Emily and William happens way in the future. I think people are kind of over-thinking how that scene fits in with the events of this season because it doesn't at all.

Joy's quote was
Quote:

But the one thing we did pop in that did jump out of that time sequence was the storyline with the Man in Black. For the majority of the season, we're seeing him in the same timeline as everybody else. He's in the park as hell has unleashed. He goes a bit mad as he thinks about his past, as he journeys into the Valley Beyond. He kills his daughter, not sure whether she's his daughter or a host. Ultimately, we see him on the shore, as Hale or "Halores," as we like to call her leaves the park. We see that he has survived that final arm injury he's had. That rounds out that timeline.

What we see in the end recontextualizes a little bit of that. All of that did happen in that timeline, but something else has occurred, too. In the far, far future, the world is dramatically different. Quite destroyed, as it were. A figure in the image of his daughter his daughter is of course now long dead has come back to talk to him. He realizes that he's been living this loop again and again and again. The primal loop that we've seen this season, they've been repeating, testing every time for what they call "fidelity," or perhaps a deviation. You get the sense that the testing will continue. It's teasing for us another temporal realm that one day we're working toward, and one day will see a little bit more of, and how they get to that place, and what they're testing for.
TX_AG_10
AG
A good re-cap from the creators/actors

NoHo Hank
AG
bobinator said:

So this goes back to the "it's plausible, but it would have been nice if they either left it out or explained it on screen."

She actually does kind of know what William is going to do. She's been around him A LOT so maybe she knows that at distance he's going to shoot for the body and he would only shoot at the head at very close range which is why she doesn't walk right up to him until she knows he only has the one shot left.

But yeah, that's another example of just an unnecessary complication of the plot.

Another way they could have written around that would be for the MIB to always use a rifle when he's shooting from distance or on horseback and only try to use his pistol once they're dismounted and he's shooting at Dolores. That way it would make some sense that she sabotaged his pistol knowing that she would be the only one he would be close enough to be trying to shoot with it or something.
Could be wrong here but I thought she tampered with his center chamber bullet. Bigger round, may be threatening to her, while the rest are not?
mhayden
john32f said:

bobinator said:

Could be wrong here but I thought she tampered with his center chamber bullet. Bigger round, may be threatening to her, while the rest are not?

Thought that as well, but Bernard did her in with a regular round.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
To be honest, they should've just left out the post-credits scene. (Maybe used it as the S3 opener.)

It unnecessarily complicates an already confusing plot, and adds nothing to the story told in S2.
amercer
AG
Well if there is a virtual heaven that the hosts made it to this season, maybe there's a different sort of virtual place for guys like William
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AMA with Jeffery Wright just started.

https://www.reddit.com/r/westworld/comments/8tsft3/its_bernarnolds_cornerstone_jeffrey_wright_ask_me/

amercer
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

To be honest, they should've just left out the post-credits scene. (Maybe used it as the S3 opener.)

It unnecessarily complicates an already confusing plot, and adds nothing to the story told in S2.

I'm not sure that scene ever has to connect to anything. There's a part of William (or a copy of him) that will be trapped in the park long, long after all the other characters are gone. It is the world he belongs to.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

^THIS

while i didn't mind it ... my head was already reeling and that added to it but sort of unrelated.

And I was already anticipating S3 via Dolores/Bernard and what's out there...

amercer
AG
I think it's classic ScIFi awesomeness that neatly wraps up his character. The whole place has turned to dust, but he's still getting off that elevator looking for something he'll never find.

It kind of reminds me of the chapter in the Martian Chronicles with the robots that are still cleaning the house decades after the apocalypse has wiped everyone out.
PatAg
AG
bobinator said:

To be honest it seems like from some of the comments on here that people weren't watching this show very closely. It takes a few minutes to kind of process everything that happened, but it certainly wasn't all that confusing by the time it was over.

Don't you also do thesis-level research every week between episodes?
bobinator
AG
Ha, I do read a lot of theories online.

I'm just saying that as long as you're keeping a physical representation of all of the characters and events on your living room wall with strings keeping the various timelines straight it's not confusing at all.

My house looks like Isaac Mendez's apartment in Heroes, but it's worth it IMO.
Luke Smith
Was it the man in black or the black man? all I know is delores cant be in time for the parks
PatAg
AG
bobinator said:

Ha, I do read a lot of theories online.

I'm just saying that as long as you're keeping a physical representation of all of the characters and events on your living room wall with strings keeping the various timelines straight it's not confusing at all.

My house looks like Isaac Mendez's apartment in Heroes, but it's worth it IMO.
Like a lot of others posted, I still liked the season a lot.
bobinator
AG
On a serious note, I will say that I like that they're making this show the way they want to make it. I think too often big ideas get watered down to make them more marketable for a mainstream audience, so even if it's clunky at times I do still like that they want to tell this story their way.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Thanks, y'all! Really appreciate the good words and your love for the show. I particularly love that you take in the details & mysteries and reject the need for familiar formulas and the dumbing down of things that's all too present today in pop culture and the national discourse. Smash those loops! Peace & brain grease, jw
Breggy Popup
AG
free_mhayden said:

john32f said:

bobinator said:

Thought that as well, but Bernard did her in with a regular round.

I have no idea obviously on the ammo specs for the park's weapons, but Bernard did shoot her with a "modern" firearm didn't he?
AgEng06
AG
Pretty sure it was the Glock that Ford made "appear" in his hand earlier in the season (when Ford was trying to get him to get rid of Elsie).
Breggy Popup
AG
AgEng06 said:

Pretty sure it was the Glock that Ford made appear in his hand.

If so, one could hypothesize that it was more powerful than the park weapons (ie 10mm or something).
Trident 88
AG
Season 2 reminds me of some of the classic novels that we were forced to read in school.

It's obvious that it took a lot of talent to come up with a story like this, and there are moments within the story that are certainly enjoyable and/or interesting. However, I'll never pick it up and read it again because the work outweighed the reward.
bobinator
AG
Trident 88 said:

However, I'll never pick it up and read it again because the work outweighed the reward.

I sort of think the work is the reward. To be honest any time my brain spends trying to unravel this show feels like a mental vacation from most of the dumb stuff going on in the world these days. I don't know if that makes sense, but I was thinking about that earlier today.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

The lamp...

Westerosworld confirmed!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I apologize in advance for breaking this page.

Full timeline of S1 & S2.

bobinator
AG
I'm not sure I agree on the timeline (or with the recappables) that one of the pearls was definitely Bernard.

I don't think that was necessarily the case.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What do you mean? We saw her build Bernard and speak with him in the basement...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Did we ever get any solid confirmation what Ford's game with William actually was?
bobinator
AG
Yeah, but Dolores said "I remembered you once before, so I remembered you again." I took that to mean that she built Bernard from memory, not by simply plugging his control unit into a new body.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I guess that's possible, but I feel like it was heavily implied he was one of the balls.

Who do you think they could be?
bobinator
AG
It doesn't really matter either way except that if she brought him back without a pearl it leaves one more slot for a host to be in the real world.

I don't really know who I think they are. I kind of assumed Maeve would end up being one of them, but there's only so many hosts whose names we even know. I also think Angela could be one of them. If the little containers in their heads holding the pearls are bulletproof it's possible one could have survived that explosion I suppose.
MBAR
AG
bobinator said:

Yeah, but Dolores said "I remembered you once before, so I remembered you again." I took that to mean that she built Bernard from memory, not by simply plugging his control unit into a new body.
I thought about this too, but he has the memories of the events in the park. Did she somehow recreate those? I'm torn but I do think its not cut and dry one way or another.
bobinator
AG
I think "what's the deal with William" is obviously one of the ties into season three. We didn't get much finality there at all.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.