***** WESTWORLD Season 2 (HBO) Official *****

261,097 Views | 2472 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bearamedic99
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah maybe, but the MIB mentioned that the railroad wasn't supposed to go that direction. "These tracks are supposed to head North, not west. Seems like Ford's game has multiple contenders."

Could be nothing, just a stray thought this week
bobinator
AG
One thing that the "The Recappables" guys from the Ringer are on that haven't been talked about much here is that something big is still to come with Clementine. Basically the reasoning being that if you just watched the press tour/hype before the season, you'd think she was a major part of the cast but this season she basically hasn't done anything and is more or less a slave of Dolores.

That said, their podcast kind of went off the rails a little bit this week I thought.
MGS
bobinator said:

Yeah maybe, but the MIB mentioned that the railroad wasn't supposed to go that direction. "These tracks are supposed to head North, not west. Seems like Ford's game has multiple contenders."

Could be nothing, just a stray thought this week
But there's a reason that the rails use ties. Too many bodies and you risk derailment.
TV Casualty
AG
That scene could possibly have more meaning later.

Maybe they were showing that another group of hosts are headed to glory. They will just end up in the flood like every other host.
claym711
AG
One thing I don't have s good theory on is why they have made it a point to show Teddy dead in the water several times.

Something bothersome is if the hosts can be rewritten or wiped remotely with a tablet why are the humans going in guns blazing?

Also, from host perspective, if their death is just a biometric trigger, why hadn't Maeve or Delores had that string removed from their code base? If a host can be shot and killed and then immediately reanimated without repairs then their bodies are not dependent on organ function or other biology, so if they remove Death from the code they become much more effective against humans and other hosts
TCTTS
AG
All things I've wondered as well. At first I assumed either Delores or Maeve embedded some kind of code in the network that rendered human and tablet commands ineffective in hosts, but now that's clearly not the case. So yeah, I don't understand why the attack team at that outpost, for instance, couldn't just freeze the hosts, or why Delores hasn't "deleted death" from the code. I'd take any mumbo jumbo explanation - it wouldn't be that hard for a character to explain either of those things with a line or two - and I don't know why we haven't been given those explanations yet.
bobinator
AG

Yeah, the constant "Teddy is totally dead" makes me think he absolutely isn't dead. But narratively it's also to give that event some importance. We know at least one major character is directly affected by this upcoming flood rather than just a bunch of random hosts we don't care about.

It appears you have to be very close to the hosts to change their programming with the tablets. We see Dolores have men hold Teddy so she can do it, for example. Maeve was holding her own tablet, Bernard was hardwired into Rebus, etc. So they can't really be wiped remotely right?

I also think Dolores did remove that up to a certain point. She gets shot twice at the fort and it's like nothing happened. But I also think they are depended on organ function and other biology some. I think the hosts might have a "die when you get shot anywhere" type trigger, after all they don't really need guests shooting them up a ton, that's just even more to repair, so maybe it's kind of like paintball, if you shoot them at all, they 'die.' So Dolores can overwrite that and bring them back as long as they aren't too damaged.

And we actually have already seen this turned off for some hosts, Dolores' men seem to be immune to gunshots, or at least they were in season one (when at the time we knew them as Wyatt's men.)

It gets more complicated with Maeve because we haven't seen her get shot or anything lately to see what might happen.
TCTTS
AG
Good refreshers, thanks.
bobinator
AG
I'm only partially sure about any of that, haha. I've probably dedicated too much brain space to this show, but for some reason I can't get enough of the theorizing. Well, I can get enough I guess because Reddit is too much, but you know what I mean.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Theorizing is half the fun. GoT and Lost wouldn't have been half as fun without it.
bobinator
AG
I talked about this yesterday but think it's even more true reading more people's reactions online to this week's episode, but this was an episode that I think was hurt by the way this show is structured.

Like, by using the non-linear storytelling and vague plot mechanics, they've made trying to figure out the plot as big a part of watching this show as anything else. Like a lot of people watch this show just to try and fit the puzzle pieces together, and they've actively encouraged that with the way they're telling the story.

So when they step back from that for an episode and focus on the development of the characters themselves, it was a bit jarring. When we talk about most of the characters, it's about how the fit into the plot and the big picture. What is Dolores trying to do, where is she going, is she sentient or not? Same questions with William, where did he come from, what is he doing, where is he going, is he real, etc.

We haven't taken a lot of time to consider what these characters are feeling, and this episode was all about that, especially right after a plot-heavy episode like Riddle of the Sphinx. I really liked the episode, but it was definitely different.
The Lost
Got to watch this episode before friday this week thanks to the gf stopping by to head to the airport.

This episode had the most comic relief of any episode we've seen yet.

I definitely prefer bernard/MIB/william storyline lines, but assume this eventually make sense. Production was great of this episode. Enjoyed the ninjas and other battles.

I kinda wish this show was like netflix and the whole season was dropped at once. I think that would have made this episode way more satisfying knowing we'd go straight back to the other stories and not have to wait a week. How did we use to live with most content taking weeks/months off?
bobinator
AG
I actually love the week off in this show to create/discuss theories. It makes it much more of a social experience than you usually get these days.
emtes
AG
Definitely agree with you, the week between builds up each episode. Which also leads to some let down with episodes that aren't as strong as others. That would be the only positive with releasing all at once, you wouldn't spend a week griping about a boring episode LOL.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The more I see her, the more done I am with Dolores' storyline.
Complete Idiot
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The more I see her, the more done I am with Dolores' storyline.
Lucky you! It's Wyatt now.

Or something, I can't keep up.
bobinator
AG
Problem is that Dolores' storyline is THE storyline.
Complete Idiot
bobinator said:

It felt that way season 1, season two feels like it could be William, Bernard, or Maeve's
jabberwalkie09
AG
Complete Idiot said:

bobinator said:

It felt that way season 1, season two feels like it could be William, Bernard, or Maeve's

Or the MiB or Grace or Teddy.
bobinator
AG
It's definitely not Maeve's. If anything that's the story that I'm a little annoyed with. They're like Gendry rowing around the world over there not affecting anything that really matters (yet.)

But Dolores set what William and Bernard are doing in motion. She's been attacked by Charlotte and a team, she's interacted with Bernard and Peter Abernathy this season, etc.

I sort of get what you're saying because her sort of philosophical-terminator bit is getting a little old, but she's the centerpiece of the story so I'm sort of taking it on faith that all of this is going to pay off soon.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This season feels like either William's or Bernard's.
bobinator
AG
I think Dolores' fate and Williams' are tied together.

I'm less certain of what's going on with Bernard. Right now I think basically every theory about him could be possible.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
SWCBonfire
AG
She is turning Teddy into what William has become.

Dolores seems to be a bad influence.
Quinn
AG
BTW, do y'all think that Jimmi Simpson is gone from the show? I enjoyed his character, but I'm not sure how he fits in besides the occasional flashback. Don't think he's part of the main cast going forward.
Leggo My Elko
AG
Quinn said:

I enjoyed his character, but I'm not sure how he fits in besides the occasional flashback.
I think there's still a lot of gold they can mine there. Also, Nolan and Joy have said that they change and add to show based on their actors. I think Jimmi's performance so far will cause them to find a reason to keep him around.
Dro07
AG
uh obviously a clone host
The Lost
Quinn said:

BTW, do y'all think that Jimmi Simpson is gone from the show? I enjoyed his character, but I'm not sure how he fits in besides the occasional flashback. Don't think he's part of the main cast going forward.
In theory, hasn't he always been a flashback? Theres still alot about william we don't know
amercer
AG
A couple days late, but I just watched the new one. ****ing awesome.

Now I've got 10 pages on here to catch up on...
cr0wbar
AG
They follow up one of the best WW episodes (Delos Loop) with this complete dud. Bravo HBO

*yawn*
amercer
AG
Only 3 pages, you all are slipping.

Maybe it's my love of all things Japanese/anime/samurai but that was just badass. Plus having the party run into themselves was great. Definitely a "you're special just like everyone else moment". Maeve is my favorite character. Certainly the only one that I'm sure is really free.

I don't understand the confusion over Delores plan. She's the oldest host, one of the only ones to be out of the park, interacted heavily with both creators AND the owner, has free will, but is trapped by her memories and the deadly narrative that the person who wanted to save her implanted in her head. She's got issues, but her and the MIB are the only ones who know all the secrets. So she's trying to burn it down and escape. He's planning to burn it down without escaping.

Also Maeve's daughter is totally in future world.
amercer
AG
Also, a third of the IP was lost, and a third of the hosts have virgin minds? Hmmm

Also, head of operations angry Delos guy wants all the drowned hosts back up and running? Are they trying to reopen the park???? Cause that seems like a terrible idea...
amercer
AG
cr0wbar said:

They follow up one of the best WW episodes (Delos Loop) with this complete dud. Bravo HBO

*yawn*

Last week (especially the Delos loop) was classic psychological SciFi in the mold of 2001. One of the best episodes for sure.

This week (especially the samurai world) was classic space opera in the mold of Cowboy Bebop. Also very badass.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.