***** WESTWORLD Season 2 (HBO) Official *****

261,079 Views | 2472 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bearamedic99
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm not understanding - what exactly is the shocking/revealing part of saying it's in the future? Wasn't this always assumed?

Or is it because they specified the year?
Because they specified the year. I've read/heard so much speculation that it could take place 300 years in the future or whatever and people have always been so curious. That, and 2052 likely means that it's not on some other planet, as we probably won't be that advanced yet to be able to build entire parks like this on Mars or wherever quite yet.
M.C. Swag
AG
TCTTS said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm not understanding - what exactly is the shocking/revealing part of saying it's in the future? Wasn't this always assumed?

Or is it because they specified the year?
Because they specified the year. I've read/heard so much speculation that it could take place 300 years in the future or whatever and people have always been so curious. That, and 2052 likely means that it's not on some other planet, as we probably won't be that advanced yet to be able to build entire parks like this on Mars or wherever quite yet.
The dates could just as easily be arbitrary to the plot (it is a fiction novel - if robots exist in 2017, whose to say Westworld ISNT on some other world?). I think you guys are getting too caught up on the year.
TCTTS
AG
I don't disagree with you. I don't care what year it takes place. I'm just saying that I'm surprised this wasn't a bigger story or reveal, considering the amount of speculation from fans last season along with the deliberate vagueness on the part of the filmmakers.
amercer
AG
So before Bernard came to the gala, he reactivated all the decommissioned hosts. But why?

I guess as part of Fords Into the Night narrative, but Ford has just had him shoot himself so was he really planing on Bernard being revived?
amercer
AG
I guess the thing is that I usually assume that any highbrow SciFi is something that is plausible in our future. If the timeline puts the first flashback in 2017, then that 2017 was at least a decade more technologicaly advanced than ours.
M.C. Swag
AG
amercer said:

So before Bernard came to the gala, he reactivated all the decommissioned hosts. But why?

I guess as part of Fords Into the Night narrative, but Ford has just had him shoot himself so was he really planing on Bernard being revived?

Maeve reactivated them, no?
amercer
AG
We didn't see did we? She seemed pretty super powered by the end of last season, but I can imagine she knew as much about the hosts as Bernard.
Post removed:
by user
DTP02
AG
M.C. Swag said:

amercer said:

Maeve reactivated them, no?

I assumed Ford did it, maybe not directly but he pulled the strings of the one who did it: Maeve or Bernard.
amercer
AG
dlance said:

amercer said:

We didn't see did we? She seemed pretty super powered by the end of last season, but I can imagine she knew as much about the hosts as Bernard.

Why else would Maeve, Hector et al go down to see them?

Maeve definitely said she wanted an Army, but Bernard was the first one she fixed. Plus we know she was still following a program at least until Bernard showed her the code.

Also, weren't the hosts in cold storage lobotomized? Not sure Maeve could fix that, although she did have a tech with her.

Anyway, just some interesting questions that maybe they'll revisit this season.
M.C. Swag
AG
amercer said:

I'm almost positive the intent with Maeve going to the cold storage warehouse with the lab tech was specifically to activate those hosts.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Drone hosts.... are not CGI at all.....

very freaky but cool.

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I thought you meant they were actual androids.

Still an awesome video.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
^oh sorry....no..... but they still weird me out.

PS Ignore this post mostly...I'm experimenting with tags.... before I post something.....

[sp]

PIC

pic link within spoiler tags

[/sp]

GRRRR.... I have no way to post Pics or Links to Pics within spoiler tags......
Seven Costanza
AG
I think Teddy will play a bigger role in this. James Marsden is a fairly big name and I don't feel like they would have him on to just be a dumb sidekick throughout the show.
Bunk Moreland
Seven Costanza said:

I think Teddy will play a bigger role in this. James Marsden is a fairly big name and I don't feel like they would have him on to just be a dumb sidekick throughout the show.

He's going to do Delores' dirty work then ultimately face a conflicted moment and either turn on her or die for her... Or die no matter what decision he makes.
ja86
AG
Well he drowns... so evidently he isn't a chosen...
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

So I'm posting this inside spoiler tags even though it is a theory....because the evidence is convincing

don't read it if you do not want ANY POSSIBLE spoilers....

LAST WARNING

So the Bernard we see on the beach is not the same Bernard as the end of S1 at the massacre.

It is more than just the change of clothes too. In S1 he had a noticeable scar on his forehead from where he attempted to shoot himself. that scar is not there in S2 on the beach.... but it is there in S2 in the other time period scenes including with Charlotte down in the lab.

And more to the point there is a S2 preview screenshot showing Charlotte standing in front of 3 Bernards.

So this could have several possible explanations though like a different Bernard host. but it could also be a Bernard clone (pre scar) because of it passing the DNA scan. Perhaps this season involves finding out there are hosts (robot) and clones too. they've already indicated DNA was being harvested from guests.

There are some wilder theories too - Bernard could be operating in a mode where he is not recognizing people and that is not Charlotte but someone else (his list of malfunctioning symptoms on the scan included prosopagnosia which means face blindness) - or perhaps the drone hosts are other Bernards and he cannot recognize them. Or even crazier that Bernard we see with Charlotte is a Bernard with Delores mind - we've also seen their minds can be removed.

Lots of possibilities and so that remains a theory as to what exactly is happening - but definitely a different Bernard.

I'll post links to some pics but outside the spoiler tags without context.

1. the different Bernards
2. the scar and no scar Bernards
3. Charlotte in front of multiple Bernards screen grab from preview - and likely those are 3 more Bernards meaning 4 or more

WARNING don't click these links they are possible spoiler pics - but don't work inside spoiler tags.

PIC 1

PIC 2

PIC 3

RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Did anybody else think what Maeve said to the dying host right before they dealt with the security team seemed more like a command (even if it was meant as a blessing) and she seemed to die/shutdown immediately afterwards. Don't know if the hosts still have some receptive nature for commands. They're still running on code even if it's not pre-programmed code. It just seemed like such a odd thing to say from one host to another.

RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Well then. Guess I should have rewatched season 1. Thank you.
Belton Ag
AG
Between busy time at work and my kids' school activities and little league softball I didn't get a chance to rewatch season 1 like I wanted. Now I'm having to try and catch up on it after the fact.
emtes
AG
before Bernard injects himself the tablet read "loss of motor function, cognitive dissonance, aphasia, time slippage, and prosopagnosia." Prosopagnosia means face blindness - possibly why he is having trouble recognizing people and remembering things on the beach?
Teddy Perkins
AG
My gut says that the multiple Bernard theory is a red herring to get the internet abuzz and start discussing theories. Would they really show a pic in a trailer of multiple Bernards if this was the big twist of the season?

What's with Bernard shooting a gun in the flash cut scenes?

This Esquire article with Jeffrey Wright was informative too.

Quote:

I went back and watched the pilot a couple of months ago because I was anxious to see the showbut also because, after I finished the second season, I wanted to go back and look at where we were when we had begun. There has been a huge evolution in terms of our characters as we've fleshed them out in more nuanced ways. But, in going back, I discovered that there are some flashing neon breadcrumbs that had been invisible to my eye in the the first reading, performing, and watching of the episode. In fact, there's a scene, which I think may be the first scene that we shot for the pilot, that speaks to the overarching scene of Season Two. And I looked at that and was like, These clever *******s.

I also found this funny while thinking up theories.

Quote:

Perhaps there's an impulse for us as audience members to know everything, to be ahead of the game, to have absolute clarity in order to be comfortable and have a sense of control. But life isn't like that. Likewise, I don't think [the first season] cheated in providing a resolution to the mysteries that were woven into it. I think, as an audience, it's best to just surrender to it and enjoy the trip. At the end of this second season, the justification for the use of these fractured mirror reflections will be clear.
Rocagnante
AG
TCTTS said:

Over the past couple weeks I rewatched the season one finale, watched the chronological timeline cut from The Outline, and listened to both recent Binge Mode products recapping season one (all linked to below)...

So ready for tonight.

The Outline video is a good way to catch up on Season 1.
gigemags87
AG
MW03 said:

Quote:

• Bengal tiger = Mix between "Parks 1 and 6" Ruh Roh

Tigers, unlike Samurai, aren't indigenous to Japan. And that thing came from Park 6, so now I'm picturing a circular park with 6 sections. We know there's Park 1 (Westworld). We know there's a Samurai World. And now we know there's a world next door to Park 1, Park 6, that has Bengal Tigers.

And the previews show Dolores with a modern dress and skyscrapers...Futureworld?
M.C. Swag
AG
Prolly a flashback to the early early days
Dro07
AG
More like present world
Teddy Perkins
AG
Lots of good analysis in the Alt Shift X video. Don't watch if you want a pure viewing experience sans outside theories and nuggets.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Fantastic synopsis - and there are a few spoilery/theories .....buyer beware.

It mentions a book at the end that looks fascinating - Sapiens
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, this is amazing. Thanks for the heads up. Will be watching these every week now.
AgEng06
AG
TCTTS said:

Yeah, this is amazing. Thanks for the heads up. Will be watching these every week now.
Agree. That was a nice video.
Sazerac
AG
Who else is annoyed by Floki's accent? And seeing him without tatoos and in a suit?
gomerschlep
AG
I didn't think that video really had spoilers at all, though it did help reminds me of some obvious connections I should have made to S1. I'll watch that every week for sure. And I'm a sucker and bought that book.
Teddy Perkins
AG
This one did not really have spoilers but if you continue to watch these each week he will go into fan theories and those can definitely turn out to be spoilers. Just a heads up. His Game of Thrones material is top notch.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.