***** WESTWORLD Season 2 (HBO) Official *****

261,137 Views | 2472 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bearamedic99
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Belton Ag said:

cr0wbar said:

• How was Bernard able to DNA unlock that door with Charlotte?

• I wondered this same thing last night.

Maybe because he was (presumably) one of the first hosts created to duplicate an actual human, and maybe Arnold's DNA was used somehow?
    Capitol Ag
    AG
    TCTTS said:

Belton Ag said:

cr0wbar said:

• How was Bernard able to DNA unlock that door with Charlotte?

• I wondered this same thing last night.

Maybe because he was (presumably) one of the first hosts created to duplicate an actual human, and maybe Arnold's DNA was used somehow?
    This is what I gathered as well. They seem to be creating a bit of drama with a pause right before he reaches for it, with him being unsure whether it will actually activate the device. Also, given how much he looks like Arnold, I figure Bernard is genetically engineered with Arnold's DNA. Which leads to another issue: How "human" is Bernard? If he was engineered genetically, was he a clone with the same CPU device in his head and way to,control him as the other hosts, but he is also, in theory, a clone. Where would he be in terms of definition. What are his rights. It's one thing if your droid/robot looks like 3PO or T-700, but as a man with DNA? Interesting debate.

And I'm well aware that the other hosts are organically made as well, but we now know Bernard shares Arnold's DNA, he wasn't a code written to look a certain way. I love where they are going with these concepts.
    M.C. Swag
    AG
    That's the huge question about Bernard. How 'conscious' is he? What programming is he following now?
    amercer
    AG
    At first the hosts were mechanical. Maybe Bernard is the first organic one. Although they looked to be using real skin on the mechanical models (early Delores) and that skin would have human DNA. Actually you probably don't want to get me started on molecular biology...

In any case I figured the DNA thing was just to keep unauthorized people out, not to differentiate between people and hosts.
    amercer
    AG
    M.C. Swag said:

That's the huge question about Bernard. How 'conscious' is he? What programming is he following now?

I think when Ford realized that Arnold was right, he decided to create Bernard to try to finish Arnold's work. Maybe Delores got there first, maybe not. I think the free will question won't ever go away for any host.
    amercer
    AG
    tk for tu juan said:

#1 said:

Not sure if I just missed this but what was Arnold doing when he was injecting himself with that liquid you got from the host?

When he got pushed down helping the stable boy, he hit his head and starting losing cerebral fluid. He was injecting additional fluid to avoid dying

Presumably this goes back to the gunshot he took to the head as well.
    claym711
    AG
    So WTH happened between the night of the attack and Bernard waking up on the beach after killing all the hosts in the ocean that no one knew about.....

Also interested in the role Ford will have and what the little boy Ford was muttering as William rode away
    TCTTS
    AG
    Pretty funny. Had no idea that dude is a Skarsgard brother...

Brian Earl Spilner
    AG
    At this rate, they should throw in one of the discount Baldwins and Culkins.
    TCTTS
    AG
    PooDoo
    AG
    We had the perfect opportunity to see Charolette without clothes but get stuck with the writer... thanks a lot #metoo
    AgEng06
    AG
    For me, it's weird to not hear Skarsgard with the "Viking" accent.
    Brian Earl Spilner
    AG
    I wonder if they're setting up Dolores and Maeve to be the main opposing forces? Maeve defending humans and Dolores wanting to take over everything.
    LHIOB
    AG
    TCTTS said:

Entertainment 720's failure leads to Delos
    3rdGen2015
    AG
    LHIOB said:

TCTTS said:

Entertainment 720's failure leads to Delos
    DJ Roomba was the first host they made
    TCTTS
    AG
    Really cool interview with a science advisor on the show...

TCTTS
    AG
    Also, he too confirms the thirty-years-in-the-future time frame (that I posted/asked about a couple pages back via another source). I don't know how I missed that being confirmed.
    jabberwalkie09
    AG
    Brian Earl Spilner said:

I wonder if they're setting up Dolores and Maeve to be the main opposing forces? Maeve defending humans and Dolores wanting to take over everything.

Maybe, but Maeve would have to let go of a lot of past cycles from her prior storylines as a host to get to that point imo. And I'm not entirely sure she's willing to do that, at least at this time. Based on the premier she wanted her child and for humans to feel her pain. Much like Dolores IMO, but Maeve isn't out just for blood like Dolores.

I'm interested in how long Bernard can keep up the act before his cover is blown to Charlotte in the two weeks ago timeline and the Delos people we saw in the premier in the present.
    Brian Earl Spilner
    AG
    I just feel like there has to be some hosts to oppose Dolores, and currently it's seeming like Maeve is the best candidate for that. (And this may be the end-game, not necessarily something we'd see this season.)

Teddy doesn't seem major enough to take that role, though I suppose Bernard could.

Teddy already seems conflicted, I could see him turning on Dolores and joining forces with Bernard and/or Maeve, while Dolores gathers her Wyatt army.

Then there's the question of what side MIB would be on.
    jabberwalkie09
    AG
    Brian Earl Spilner said:

I just feel like there has to be some hosts to oppose Dolores, and currently it's seeming like Maeve is the best candidate for that. (And this may be the end-game, not necessarily something we'd see this season.)

Teddy doesn't seem major enough to take that role, though I suppose Bernard could.

Teddy already seems conflicted, I could see him turning on Dolores and joining forces with Bernard and/or Maeve, while Dolores gathers her Wyatt army.

Then there's the question of what side MIB would be on.

I don't disagree with you, just saying that Maeve would have some hurdles to over come IMO.

Yeah, Teddy doesn't seem to be completely sold on Dolores' revenge tour. If Teddy turns on her, I'm thinking he's dead by Dolores' hand. I'm just not sure if Bernard would join one side or the other, same with the MIB.

Regarding the MIB, I don't know. You (not you specifically, in general) may think of him as a killer, especially given everything over the last season, but I tend to view him as more of a survivor. I think he might just be inclined to let it play out as long as he doesn't get caught in the crossfire.
    amercer
    AG
    TCTTS said:

Also, he too confirms the thirty-years-in-the-future time frame (that I posted/asked about a couple pages back via another source). I don't know how I missed that being confirmed.

The park opened 30 years in the future, or the "present" timeline is 30 years in the future. The former works, but the later would mean Ford and Arnold were building robots in the South China Sea in 2008.
    TCTTS
    AG
    Two sources now - one saying 2052 based on a screenshot from a monitor in the last seasons finale, and the other source being the consultant saying "three decades in the future" - are both saying that the main / "present day" storyline is in the 2050s timeframe. Taking that 2052 date as gospel, and then subtracting 35 years, would put the earliest flashbacks of the show in 2017, one year after the show premiered.
    TCTTS
    AG
    Seems weird that the showrunners wouldn't just set the earliest flashbacks, say, 10 years from now for believability sake in terms of the earliest hosts being developed, but I do kind of like the cleanliness of the show premiering just before the storyline actually begins.
    amercer
    AG
    Alright. It is fiction afterall, but the earliest flashbacks were still pretty far along in the development of the hosts, so thier 2017 is way more advanced than ours was.
    TCTTS
    AG
    That's what I'm saying. Seems weird they'd go that route, but I can at least appreciate the cleanliness of it.
    TCTTS
    AG
    For reference, again, here are both sources...

Quote:

Note: For the purposes of this timeline, we are basing all time periods and eras around one date we know specifically the day Maeve (Thandie Newton) almost escaped from the park, which was revealed on the Discover Westworld site. The date in question is June 15, 2052, which was time-stamped on footage of Maeve and her helpers laying waste to the Delos employees and making a break for it to the surface. For our purposes, that general time is considered "present day" on the show.

Quote:

How closely does the show's science and technology align with the real world?

Well, the show takes place 30 years in the future. They have the freedom to say, "What do we think the real world will look like in terms of the technology that's available?" Several of the things you'll see in season two are opportunities for the writers to come up with the next generation of technology and what it will look like.
    TCTTS
    AG
    And I'm still surprised this isn't bigger news or that I missed it somehow. I feel like a lot more articles would have been written about this revelation, considering how much speculation occurred last season.
    JAggie2007
    AG
    Wasn't Teddy the dead host they focused on in the water?
    TCTTS
    AG
    Yes, but are hosts really ever dead? Can't they just bring him back?
    amercer
    AG
    Maybe they are like iPhones. They can come back from anything except water.
    emtes
    AG
    Although somewhat vague - I took Bernard's "I killed them" statement as him blaming himself (Arnold?) for helping Delores achieve the center of the maze, thus leading to their conscience awakening and revolt and eventually killing "them" (hosts and/or humans).
    Liquid Wrench
    I think he put something in the patch network to make them do that. Maybe he inserted a new narrative to make them all go commit suicide by diving in. Maybe Ford wrote it for Bernard to do that to advance the new game.
    Skitch05
    AG
    I feel like there is still some unrevealed timeline trickery going on. Having the storyline start in 2017 doesn't seem believable.
    Brian Earl Spilner
    AG
    I'm not understanding - what exactly is the shocking/revealing part of saying it's in the future? Wasn't this always assumed?

Or is it because they specified the year?
    emtes
    AG
    Thought so too. I think the creation of the park would basically be our present day, right??

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.