*** WESTWORLD Season 1 (HBO) ***

351,325 Views | 2710 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sazerac
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The glitches I took as her remembering a previous outcome, which informed her next action. Sorta like Edge of Tomorrow.
TCTTS
AG
Really great discussion on The Watch podcast yesterday about this week's episode and the series as a whole so far. Some good theories batted around, and they address some complaints as well. Chris Ryan and Jason Concepcion (the Maester from their Game of Thrones podcasts) are convinced Bernard is a robot, and I think I am now as well...

https://art19.com/shows/the-watch/episodes/9a5d64a9-ed3d-4c64-82ce-2127e560aba1
LHIOB
AG
If Bernard is a Host then the story of his son is a backstory which would make sense given that it was introduced in the same episode that they focused on backstories. If this is the case, is Bernard aware he is a Host?

We have seen Ford control the hosts with his hands (the snake and the piano player) and his voice (Wild Bill and the child). Has there been an instance that he may have controlled Bernard that we did not pick up on because it was so subtle?
MW03
AG
schmendeler said:

bobinator said:

MW03 said:

I think that's the point of the interaction between Dr. Ford and the tech that had covered up the host. Dr. Ford would tell you exactly that their feelings aren't real within the narratives because "they only feel what we tell them to feel" or whatever he said.
He says they aren't real, but they seem to be pretty real to the hosts.
Ford says that after the first year, their hosts were passing turing tests. so, if a human being can't tell the emotions aren't real, who's to say they aren't?

The question, in other words, is does the perception of a thing define the reality of that thing.

I'd offer that whether a unit can pass a turing test isn't indicative of whether the host is actually emoting or not. Dr. Ford doesn't think they are, while Bernard thinks Delores actually does. Or at least is beginning to. Does emotion signify true existence anyway? On the other hand, if she's truly in an existential crisis, and if she is doubting the nature of her existence at its foundation, you could say that she is real. Cue Decartes.

schmendeler
AG
MW03 said:

schmendeler said:

bobinator said:

MW03 said:

I think that's the point of the interaction between Dr. Ford and the tech that had covered up the host. Dr. Ford would tell you exactly that their feelings aren't real within the narratives because "they only feel what we tell them to feel" or whatever he said.
Ford says that after the first year, their hosts were passing turing tests. so, if a human being can't tell the emotions aren't real, who's to say they aren't?

The question, in other words, is does the perception of a thing define the reality of that thing.

I'd offer that whether a unit can pass a turing test isn't indicative of whether the host is actually emoting or not. Dr. Ford doesn't think they are, while Bernard thinks Delores actually does. Or at least is beginning to. Does emotion signify true existence anyway? On the other hand, if she's truly in an existential crisis, and if she is doubting the nature of her existence at its foundation, you could say that she is real. Cue Decartes.

do we really experience emotions? or is it just a response to stimuli and hormones released by the body in response to those stimuli?
MW03
AG
LHIOB said:

If Bernard is a Host then the story of his son is a backstory which would make sense given that it was introduced in the same episode that they focused on backstories. If this is the case, is Bernard aware he is a Host?

We have seen Ford control the hosts with his hands (the snake and the piano player) and his voice (Wild Bill and the child). Has there been an instance that he may have controlled Bernard that we did not pick up on because it was so subtle?

Ford would have had to have given Bernard the "reveries" because we actually saw him have memories of his son, which would be interesting. And there were times when Ford did dismiss Bernard easily mid-conversation, but that could just as easily be because Ford is the director and Bernard's mentor.
MW03
AG
schmendeler said:

MW03 said:

schmendeler said:

bobinator said:

MW03 said:

do we really experience emotions? or is it just a response to stimuli and hormones released by the body in response to those stimuli?
Ah yes, but does that matter? Maybe we don't experience emotions at all, but it's your ability to ask that question to yourself that proves you are real to yourself, not how you feel about the question that you posed. Well, if you're a Rationalist, anyway.
LHIOB
AG
MW03 said:

LHIOB said:

Ford would have had to have given Bernard the "reveries" because we actually saw him have memories of his son, which would be interesting. And there were times when Ford did dismiss Bernard easily mid-conversation, but that could just as easily be because Ford is the director and Bernard's mentor.

They wouldn't have to be reveries if Bernard never actually had a son and he only knows his own backstory. Much like Delores knows how to paint, who her father is, etc. Bernard's backstory could include the story of his son. Exactly how Teddy suddenly knew about his past dealing with Wyatt. Teddy didnt just remember it, it was programmed.
OldArmy71
AG
If Bernard is a robot with implanted memories of his son (as in Blade Runner) how do we explain the conversation with his wife?
LHIOB
AG
OldArmy71 said:

If Bernard is a robot with implanted memories of his son (as in Blade Runner) how do we explain the conversation with his wife?
Another host playing out her story
MW03
AG
LHIOB said:

MW03 said:

LHIOB said:

They wouldn't have to be reveries if Bernard never actually had a son and he only knows his own backstory. Much like Delores knows how to paint, who her father is, etc. Bernard's backstory could include the story of his son. Exactly how Teddy suddenly knew about his past dealing with Wyatt. Teddy didnt just remember it, it was programmed.

I thought the reveries were actual memories of things that never happened, while the backstories were only scripted responses. I suppose we haven't actually seen any reveries yet, but in this scenario, Bernard talking about having a son with Ford could be a scripted backstory. Bernard actually seeing his son dying could be a reverie of the same non-event.
bobinator
AG
I just listened to that podcast, and although I like how the pieces line up in the Bernard-as-robot theory, I don't like what it would mean for the show. That would basically go back to my thing on like page 2 or whatever where I said this could become a Battlestar Gallactica "is anyone real and does it matter" thing?

It would also be a pretty big misdirection for the show, which can annoy me. Why would they let a robot program the robots when the robots are obviously having issues? Also if he's a robot, then they would know that he's pulling Delores out of the park and having these conversations with her.

It just seems like that sort of reveal would render a lot of what we've already seen as useless, and that would annoy me.
OldArmy71
AG
That is an intriguing premise, and they do offer some good evidence for it.
amercer
AG
It MIGHT work, if Ford was the only one who knew, but I don't see how that's possible. Most of the employees are a little dismissive of the hosts, so I don't think they would interact with Bernard as they have.

Also, put me in the camp that doesn't love the idea. In fact, I don't love any of the "big reveal" ideas that much. The show has a great setup, and covers a lot of fascinating philosophical ground. It doesn't need a bunch of misdirection and huge twists. I'd expect that from a network show going for thrills, not a super highbrow HBO production.
bobinator
AG
If only Ford knows, I imagine that (google tells me her name is...) Theresa is going to be writing a strongly worded letter to HR at some point.
TCTTS
AG
Their theory is that Theresa knows as well, by the way she kind of dismisses him in bed.
JJxvi
AG
Does Zoe from Firefly know?
bobinator
AG
TCTTS said:

Their theory is that Theresa knows as well, by the way she kind of dismisses him in bed.
Yeah I was just kidding and pointing out there's no way only Ford knows.

I will say, that entire scene of Ford talking to Bernard was bizarre, especially the way it ended.
LHIOB
AG
While we are discussing theories...

http://beyondwestworld.com/2016/10/11/theory-westworld-located-ocean/
bobinator
AG
Underwater is a decent theory also, but the thing would have to be GIGANTIC. Even if the park is only 10 miles across, you're looking at displacing about twice as much water as is in Lake Erie.

I still like it being a man-made island out in the middle of the ocean.
bangobango
AG
TCTTS said:

Really great discussion on The Watch podcast yesterday about this week's episode and the series as a whole so far. Some good theories batted around, and they address some complaints as well. Chris Ryan and Jason Concepcion (the Maester from their Game of Thrones podcasts) are convinced Bernard is a robot, and I think I am now as well...

https://art19.com/shows/the-watch/episodes/9a5d64a9-ed3d-4c64-82ce-2127e560aba1
You think you're a robot?
amercer
AG
bobinator said:

If only Ford knows, I imagine that (google tells me her name is...) Theresa is going to be writing a strongly worded letter to HR at some point.

Having your head of host programming be a sex bot, seems like a bad idea
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
amercer said:

bobinator said:

Having your head of host programming be a sex bot, seems like a bad idea
The presumption is that people know hes a sexbot. Perhaps hes a plant and we'll see the real Bernard was killed and replaced with his rebot version....
amercer
AG
I think he's real and his goal is to resurrect his son.

Ford is giving the hosts religion after all...
LHIOB
AG
amercer said:

I think he's real and his goal is to resurrect his son.

Ford is giving the hosts religion after all...
I think he's trying to re-create his son as well
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
3rdGen2015 said:

bobinator said:

In fact, until the last scene, this episode almost looked like it was running backwards for her. She digs up a gun, then she has a gun in her dresser, then she pulls the gun off of the outlaw guy. Seems like the natural order would have been, get the gun, hide it in the house, bury the evidence. To be fair, I didn't notice the details enough to see if this is the same gun, but I assume it is.
That's something straight out of Memento right there. Props for coming up with a real theory that I haven't even seen on Reddit.
Interesting take. Wonder who wrote the original short story for that film....
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

3rdGen2015 said:

bobinator said:

In fact, until the last scene, this episode almost looked like it was running backwards for her. She digs up a gun, then she has a gun in her dresser, then she pulls the gun off of the outlaw guy. Seems like the natural order would have been, get the gun, hide it in the house, bury the evidence. To be fair, I didn't notice the details enough to see if this is the same gun, but I assume it is.
That's something straight out of Memento right there. Props for coming up with a real theory that I haven't even seen on Reddit.
Interesting take. Wonder who wrote the original short story for that film....
And how about that line from TMIB to Delores: "Let's re-acquaint ourselves... starting with the end".

Definitely something to all this.
bobinator
AG
I expect a full share of internet points if there is.
techno-ag
AG
LHIOB said:

They're all robots. What better way to manage robots than using other robots?
tk for tu juan
Her name is spelled DOLORES, don't make me smash my head
PooDoo
AG
No way he's a robot. Did he have a robot exwife the he was FaceTimeing with?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I thought it was interesting that Bernard was wearing the exact same outfit in the flashback to his kid. Not that they can't change host's clothes easily.
JJxvi
AG
bobinator said:

Underwater is a decent theory also, but the thing would have to be GIGANTIC. Even if the park is only 10 miles across, you're looking at displacing about twice as much water as is in Lake Erie.

I still like it being a man-made island out in the middle of the ocean.
Actually the whole park is on that conference table. They shrunk everybody down using Honey I Shrunk the Kids tech before they send 'em in there.
bangobango
AG
Probably already mentioned, but Teddy lights those axe murderers up with his gun at the end and they all barely flinch. So, I guess the implication is that five or six guests decided to join a murdering cult?
schmendeler
AG
bangobango said:

Probably already mentioned, but Teddy lights those axe murderers up with his gun at the end and they all barely flinch. So, I guess the implication is that five or six guests decided to join a murdering cult?
or, for the purposes of this new storyline, they have been given semi-invincibility. kind of like in a video game, when the bad guys you fight get tougher to take down as you progress.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.