*** WESTWORLD Season 1 (HBO) ***

351,968 Views | 2710 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sazerac
jabberwalkie09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think this is going to draw a slightly different audience than GoT where a good portion of them were book readers to begin with (and I imagine probably have lessened over time). This seems like it will attract/interest people who like Tron, Almost Human, or The Matrix as examples.

I have little doubt that if the production value is good enough (and let's face it since it's HBO, enough nudity) that Westworld will do well. Since this isn't based on a series of novels, this at least won't have the GoT criticism "it doesn't follow the source material!"
Aggie_Journalist
AG
It's disappointing to hear they changed the premise from rogue robots to evil humans. Seems very unnecessary.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I think that change allows for a deep conversation/exploration of the topic (haven't seen the 1973 film) that is becoming increasingly relevant as technology progresses. Besides, I, Robot and Almost Human among many other shows/films already did the rogue robot or malfunctioning robot plot and while I'm sure some people will pine for the old plot, I think people who haven't seen the original film (like myself) won't know the difference unless anyone says anything.

Actually, in one way Westworld is going to beat Ghost in the Shell to the punch on the objectification and use of lifelike, seemingly conscious androids as force labor or entertainment or sex slaves.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
I think that change allows for a deep conversation/exploration of the topic (haven't seen the 1973 film) that is becoming increasingly relevant as technology progresses. Besides, I, Robot and Almost Human among many other shows/films already did the rogue robot or malfunctioning robot plot and while I'm sure some people will pine for the old plot, I think people who haven't seen the original film (like myself) won't know the difference unless anyone says anything.

Actually, in one way Westworld is going to beat Ghost in the Shell to the punch on the objectification and use of lifelike, seemingly conscious androids as force labor or entertainment or sex slaves.

Don't remember ghost in the shell having sex bots... I've only seen the stand alone complex movies though...
Mathguy64
AG
NM. Don't want to make a form of spoiler.
jabberwalkie09
AG
It's heavily implied in the SAC 2nd Gig first episode that the geishas which were bots in fact had other purposes besides just serving patrons as well as I think there was an episode in the 2nd Gig where an individual tried to run off with his gynoid because it developed a personality/awareness and also in GitS: Innocence I think there was a gynoid that committed one of the murders in the film.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Well damn, I wish I had seen what you said now.
Apache
AG
quote:
The raw material's there; the show just needs more time in the lab to hopefully get it right
I think Sepinwall's last line says it all. Shows like this with many characters & moving parts take a while to find their groove IMO. Rome was the same way, it really picked up steam in the second season, but was cancelled just as it really got going. I hope they don't make the same mistake with Westworld... it really is a great idea.
Al Bula
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Since this isn't based on a series of novels, this at least won't have the GoT criticism "it doesn't follow the source material!"
yeah but there will be a whole host of other reasons people b tch!
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
About to start on HBO.
tk for tu juan
Soundgarden on the player piano
gumby579
AG
Paint it Black
zgood10
AG
Very cool pilot
G.I.Bro
Excellent premier, I'm hooked.
retribution_ag
WOW!!! Such splendor!!!! AMAZING!!!

And the ethnic diversity of the cast!!! Strong roles for the women as well!!!!
tk for tu juan
gumby579 said:

Paint it Black

This was a nice rendition and fit with the scene
Forum Troll
AG
Pretty interesting show.
Kooch 3:16
AG
Wow.
bobinator
AG
Definitely not nothing
95_Aggie
AG
Paint it Black was an awesome sequence.
Al Bula
AG
Exceeded expectations. HBO nailed it again. I don't know anything about the original, so I don't even care to speculate. Probably won't check in on this thread much since texags is famous for crapping all over something.

Loved the Soundgarden and Rolling Stones anachronisms.
zgood10
AG
The scene with Hopkins and the dad was chilling
force_upon_you
RPM said:

Exceeded expectations. HBO nailed it again. I don't know anything about the original, so I don't even care to speculate. Probably won't check in on this thread much since texags is famous for crapping all over something.

Loved the Soundgarden and Rolling Stones anachronisms.
you've never the seen the movie bro???

In the original they bleed white liquid. Pretty sure that was what all that milk was about.
rainbow_aggie
retribution_ag said:

Yes a lot of diversity... but no gay characters. Or at least I didn't notice any. We still haven't come full circle in this world.

astros4545
AG
Loved it
cr06gis
AG
Well that was cool
G.I.Bro
rainbow_aggie said:

retribution_ag said:

Yes a lot of diversity... but no gay characters. Or at least I didn't notice any. We still haven't come full circle in this world.

That one chick programmer kissed the hooker android
CheeseSndwch
It has been years since I've seen Westworld but does anyone remember if sub-level 83 is a nod to the original? It seemed familiar. Maybe one of the other worlds or perhaps the sequel Futureworld?
gumby579
AG
G.I.Bro said:

rainbow_aggie said:

retribution_ag said:

Can we get a gif of that just for diversity's sake on this thread?
HeadGames
AG
The self playing piano is playing black hole sun
rainbow_aggie
G.I.Bro said:

rainbow_aggie said:

retribution_ag said:

Ah yes that is true. I suspect that was more for the stra8 male audience though. I would like to see a few gay males thrown in. Doesn't have to be much. Just something.
jschroeder
How exactly do you know there weren't gay characters?
The Kraken
AG
Very well done. I'm in.
amercer
AG
That was awesome. I think I missed a ton though. There was a lot going on
MW03
AG
Count me as in as well. And screw Sepinwall. I know the guy is talented and a force in the industry, but I could do without these tastemakers poisoning the well before the show even airs. I enjoyed the hell out of this pilot and I'm stoked for what's to come.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.