Daily Charts

595,297 Views | 2786 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AggieUSMC
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Total Tests: 623,284
Positive: 43,851
Hospitalized: 1,648
Deaths: 1,216

Percent Positive: 7%
Percent Hospitalized: 0.2%
Percent Hospitalized Death: 73%

Don't see the age range for each because I'm curious how many of the 1600 hospitalized are older.
MAROON
AG
aTm2004 said:

Total Tests: 623,284
Positive: 43,851
Hospitalized: 1,648
Deaths: 1,216

Percent Positive: 7%
Percent Hospitalized: 0.2%
Percent Hospitalized Death: 73%

Don't see the age range for each because I'm curious how many of the 1600 hospitalized are older.
bolded is not correct. You are comparing current hospitalization vs cumulative deaths.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
aTm2004
AG
You're right.
Old Buffalo
AG
Here is the latest active case estimates. Note that this is based on assuming new cases are resolved by either death or recovery 14 days after diagnosis.

One of the issues is increased testing, as shown by the increasing case count by declining positive percentage. For comparative purposes, the charts below estimate the level of cases being identified and trending overall. These charts are for relatively value only and don't reflect actual numbers.

Fitch
AG
Couple quick notes...

• The State publishes data a few days after it's collected by municipalities. Some municipalities have started back-dating case data to the date of a test or onset of symptoms, but this hasn't trickled up to the state level (yet). That will change the shape of the curves and where a given area is in the downhill side of this.
  • The State calculates "active cases" using a formula, not by actively tracking each case status. The only set number they have is confirmed fatalities -- the other recoveries are estimates, so cases can resolve faster or slower than modeled. The input data for these is the same as "daily new cases", so it should also be back-dated.
  • Fatalities are also published on days they make it to the state, not necessarily the date the death occurred. Generally there's not as big a lag in time as with testing.
  • Given those caveats, it's a little interesting that hospitalization generally tracks with daily new cases.

Source: https://dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/additionaldata/
Beat40
At the end of the day, knowing many of the risk areas, at least when it comes to age demographics, I think these charts would make much more sense to be broken out by age group. Really would see how things are progressing. I think these charts are covering so much data that you could easily draw the wrong conclusions

Does anyone know if any place is charting new cases, active cases, hospitalizations and deaths by age group?
End Of Message
AG
San Diego, California

Quote:

"We've unfortunately had six pure, solely coronavirus deaths six out of 3.3 million people," San Diego County Supervisor Jim Desmond said in an interview this week, according to the San Diego Tribune. "I mean, what number are we trying to get to with those odds? I mean, it's incredible. We want to be safe, and we can do it, but unfortunately, it's more about control than getting the economy going again and keeping people safe."
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/san-diego-county-supervisor-says-six-of-194-confirmed-deaths-are-pure-solely-coronavirus-deaths
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.
Mordred
AG
Pinche Abogado said:

San Diego, California

Quote:

"We've unfortunately had six pure, solely coronavirus deaths six out of 3.3 million people," San Diego County Supervisor Jim Desmond said in an interview this week, according to the San Diego Tribune. "I mean, what number are we trying to get to with those odds? I mean, it's incredible. We want to be safe, and we can do it, but unfortunately, it's more about control than getting the economy going again and keeping people safe."
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/san-diego-county-supervisor-says-six-of-194-confirmed-deaths-are-pure-solely-coronavirus-deaths

That headline isn't exactly breaking news. It's well established that co-morbidities are what ends up predicting your survivability. We've got a lot of people in this country with co-morbidities though. They're gonna need to be careful.
DTP02
AG
Mordred said:

Pinche Abogado said:

San Diego, California

Quote:

That headline isn't exactly breaking news. It's well established that co-morbidities are what ends up predicting your survivability. We've got a lot of people in this country with co-morbidities though. They're gonna need to be careful.

The bigger story is that they have 194 total COVID deaths, including those 188 that have comorbidities, out of 3.3 m people.
PJYoung
AG
DTP02 said:

Mordred said:

Pinche Abogado said:

San Diego, California

Quote:

The bigger story is that they have 194 total COVID deaths, including those 188 that have comorbidities, out of 3.3 m people.

Exactly.
mike0305
Old Buffalo, what is the source of the charts you are posting? Rgd Texas Projected cases, do they give any reason why cases are expected to rapidly fall in June?
Fitch
AG
State-wide Areas

Dallas / Fort Worth

N. Texas

Houston Area

I-35 Corridor

Panhandle

Border

Old Buffalo
AG
It's not scientific projections per se, it's a forecast of trending which projects that active cases will be a bell curve based on the exponential growth up front (I'll have to find one of the articles that explains this concept better than I can). Essentially it assumes the R0 becomes <1 (due to many factors) and the virus burns out.

Where it fails is the forces driving that negative growth. We don't know if that's from social distancing, partial herd immunity, or decreased infectivity.
BowSowy
AG
Any chance you could refresh this data?
InfantryAg
AG
Beat40 said:

At the end of the day, knowing many of the risk areas, at least when it comes to age demographics, I think these charts would make much more sense to be broken out by age group. Really would see how things are progressing. I think these charts are covering so much data that you could easily draw the wrong conclusions

Does anyone know if any place is charting new cases, active cases, hospitalizations and deaths by age group?
The CDC was doing deaths by age group, but I can't find it anymore. About halfway down is cases by age.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

New York state is tracking daily by age and Comorbidity.
Right side has the age group. you have to scroll down in it's box, to see all.
Cormorbidities are on the bottom chart.89.7% has at least one.

https://covid19tracker.health.ny.gov/views/NYS-COVID19-Tracker/NYSDOHCOVID-19Tracker-Fatalities?%3Aembed=yes&%3Atoolbar=no&%3Atabs=n

dragmagpuff
AG
So here the updated plots showing how Harris County's case numbers trends have been changing over time as they backdate cases. The black Texas Curve is what the state has. The Blue is the most up to date. The other 2 curves show what the average looked like each of the last 2 weeks.

You can start to see that our bending the curve down was likely just partial data, which is kind of a bummer. I wish Harris posted testing per day so we could confirm that the shallow decline includes drastic testing increases.

The Texas Medical Center Hospitalization shallow decline trend lines up with that though (also the peak is ~2 weeks post lockdown). I highly recommend looking at the hospitalization data on the TMC website

On the Statewide front, the news is a mixture of good and bad:
  • Confirmed daily cases is at/near it's highest level (not great, but testing dependent)
  • Daily deaths are at their highest level (Bad, not as testing dependent)
  • The peak 7-day daily average for deaths in the state is 38/day (our peak is not horrible)
  • Reported daily testing has exploded in the past week, I had to re-scale the plot, and still not show the days over 40k/day (Excellent)
  • Daily Percent Positive has elevated slightly from 6.1% to 6.9% due to some days over 10% (not great, but not horrible)

Fitch
AG
Thanks for the effort involved in pulling the Harris Co. data. I noticed the same issue you noted with the right side of the curve shifting, sometimes dramatically, as new data points filter in. For whatever reason I was finding some revisions in daily counts back into March I would have expected that to only happen maybe up to two weeks back.

How are you deriving the positive rate? The state website seems to be including total tests performed including those still pending, which adds something like 100,000 tests to the denominator. The tracking website (not the DSHS) lists those as negatives until the positive results are later revised.
dragmagpuff
AG
Fitch said:

Thanks for the effort involved in pulling the Harris Co. data. I noticed the same issue you noted with the right side of the curve shifting, sometimes dramatically, as new data points filter in. For whatever reason I was finding some revisions in daily counts back into March I would have expected that to only happen maybe up to two weeks back.

How are you deriving the positive rate? The state website seems to be including total tests performed including those still pending, which adds something like 100,000 tests to the denominator. The tracking website (not the DSHS) lists those as negatives until the positive results are later revised.
I'm just plotting the data from The COVID Tracking Project. It's not perfect, but as long as the state is consistent, the trends are likely valid.
Fitch
AG
Agree the general trend will be consistent, just noting the true daily positive rate will vary by how many tests the labs cycle through or if the number of tests jumps. I haven't been able to replicate the state published numbers with their published data, but c'est la vie.

As a future FYI - I kind of think the state will be revising testing reports at some point in the future. There were a couple articles at the end of last week that detailed antibody testing being included in the overall testing data and inflating the case negative counts. I actually think the state has done a really fair job of reporting data and should be separating out those testing pools now that they've been alerted to it.
BowSowy
AG
Thanks for doing this. The blue line is encouraging to me. Keep the daily infections steady and everything will be alright. I guess soon we should be getting a clear picture as to whether opening up two weeks ago is going to cause a spike?
PJYoung
AG
dragmagpuff said:

So here the updated plots showing how Harris County's case numbers trends have been changing over time as they backdate cases. The black Texas Curve is what the state has. The Blue is the most up to date. The other 2 curves show what the average looked like each of the last 2 weeks.

You can start to see that our bending the curve down was likely just partial data, which is kind of a bummer. I wish Harris posted testing per day so we could confirm that the shallow decline includes drastic testing increases.

The Texas Medical Center Hospitalization shallow decline trend lines up with that though (also the peak is ~2 weeks post lockdown). I highly recommend looking at the hospitalization data on the TMC website

On the Statewide front, the news is a mixture of good and bad:
  • Confirmed daily cases is at/near it's highest level (not great, but testing dependent)
  • Daily deaths are at their highest level (Bad, not as testing dependent)
  • The peak 7-day daily average for deaths in the state is 38/day (our peak is not horrible)
  • Reported daily testing has exploded in the past week, I had to re-scale the plot, and still not show the days over 40k/day (Excellent)
  • Daily Percent Positive has elevated slightly from 6.1% to 6.9% due to some days over 10% (not great, but not horrible)

This is really good stuff.
PJYoung
AG
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/05/cdc-and-states-are-misreporting-covid-19-test-data-pennsylvania-georgia-texas/611935/

Quote:

How Could the CDC Make That Mistake?

The governments disease-fighting agency is conflating viral and antibody tests, compromising a few crucial metrics that governors depend on to reopen their economies. Pennsylvania, Georgia, Texas, and other states are doing the same.

Quote:

Virginia likewise mixed viral and antibody test results until last week, but it reversed course and the governor apologized for the practice after it was covered by the Richmond Times-Dispatch and The Atlantic. Maine similarly separated its data on Wednesday; Vermont authorities claimed they didnt even know they were doing this.
BiochemAg97
AG
PJYoung said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/05/cdc-and-states-are-misreporting-covid-19-test-data-pennsylvania-georgia-texas/611935/

Quote:

How Could the CDC Make That Mistake?

The governments disease-fighting agency is conflating viral and antibody tests, compromising a few crucial metrics that governors depend on to reopen their economies. Pennsylvania, Georgia, Texas, and other states are doing the same.

Quote:

Virginia likewise mixed viral and antibody test results until last week, but it reversed course and the governor apologized for the practice after it was covered by the Richmond Times-Dispatch and The Atlantic. Maine similarly separated its data on Wednesday; Vermont authorities claimed they didnt even know they were doing this.

If they are grouping negative tests from both, are they also grouping positive tests from both. Are we seeing inflated daily new cases because someone had CoV a month ago and already recovered?

I like how the article bashed antibody tests compared to viral tests but a month or so ago everyone was bashing viral tests for potentially giving false negatives. All tests have error and some virus/antibody tests are better than others. Shouldn't be painting them all with the same brush. I seem to recall a concern about viral tests giving 30% f.p., and the FDA EUA antibody tests are less than 5% f.n.

Also, if the antibody test checks for IgM, a negative test basically says you have it a week ago. I suspect there is a couple days before exposure and testing positive for viral test too.... so within a few days they both indicative of not having the virus.
Fitch
AG
Fitch said:

Agree the general trend will be consistent, just noting the true daily positive rate will vary by how many tests the labs cycle through or if the number of tests jumps. I haven't been able to replicate the state published numbers with their published data, but c'est la vie.

As a future FYI - I kind of think the state will be revising testing reports at some point in the future. There were a couple articles at the end of last week that detailed antibody testing being included in the overall testing data and inflating the case negative counts. I actually think the state has done a really fair job of reporting data and should be separating out those testing pools now that they've been alerted to it.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/05/21/texas-coronavirus-testing-antibodies/

Quote:

Texas health officials made a key change Thursday to how they report data about the coronavirus, distinguishing antibody tests from standard viral tests and prompting slight increases in the state's oft-cited daily statistic known as the positivity rate.

The positivity rate is the ratio of the confirmed cases to total tests, presented by the state as a seven-day rolling average. The Texas Department State of Health Services disclosed for the first time Thursday that as of a day earlier, it had counted 49,313 antibody tests as as part of its "total tests" tally.

Now that DSHS is reporting the number of antibody tests, it has recalculated its daily positivity rates starting Tuesday to exclude such tests. That led to a 0.41 percentage-point increase in Tuesday's rate and a 0.55 point increase in Wednesday's rate, according to DSHS calculations.

Not a super material change to the downward trend, but nice to know they're treating the data seriously all the same.
PJYoung
AG
Fitch
AG
State-wide

I-35 Corridor

Dallas - Fort Worth

Houston Area

Brazos Valley

Panhandle

Border Areas

Source: https://dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/additionaldata/
HotardAg07
AG
Been really encouraged by the numbers lately. This days-of-the-week chart really helps to show how the last 4 weeks it has been a day over day decrease in deaths, which is great.

This is the projections from https://covid19-projections.com/ which I find to be the most robust in terms of handlign uncertainty and looking at the many aspects of the virus (cases, R0, etc). According to them, we are starting to cross a line of R0 = 1, which indicates at a minimum we are heading for a plateau in deaths relatively soon. Hopefully we have 1-3 more weeks of decrease before we see it in the death count, because if we can get to less than 300 deaths per day that's equal to 100,000 per year.

I thought this tweet was very interesting from COVID19 Tracking Project, as it suggests that a lot of the decrease is coming from the "hard hit" states and that everywhere else is flat. If it's flat at a sustainable level then maybe that's not a big problem. Very encouraged by the testing capability increases. It should greatly help our ability to find the mild/asymptomatic cases and quarantine via contact tracing if we have an abundance of testing.

goodAg80
AG
Great post.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
In fairness, the increase in other states has been observed in conjunction with a 3x increase in test volume
HotardAg07
AG
The hospitalizations and deaths graphs show a similar story and aren't as affected by testing volume.
dragmagpuff
AG
The Texas Medical Center has been posting a lot of good, reliable data for the greater Houston area.

As the testing capabilities have increased 2 to 3X over the past 6-8 weeks, it is very difficult to draw meaningful conclusions from "daily new case" trends in Texas where the number of cases are flat or increasing.

If you look at Hospitalizations, you get easier to follow trends that aren't as affected by testing ability.

Here's the TMC data. Exactly 14 days after the Texas Phase 1 reopening, there may be a slope change in hospitalizations from slowly decreasing to increasing:

Difficult to know if it's just noise in the data, but it's something I've been watching to see how our removal of restrictions is affecting hospitalizations in the Houston area.
Mikeyshooter
AG
And I think it would be helpful to know the capacity for those hospitalizations. The whole point of flattening the curve was to make sure hospitals weren't overrun which easily succeeded in Houston. As long as we are still in a good position in that regard, increasing hospitalizations here and there isn't a problem at all.
DadHammer
AG
Great job
DadHammer
AG
Click on dragmapuff's link. Things are looking really good at the Houston hospitals.
BiochemAg97
AG
From dragmagpuff's link

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.