Daily Charts

595,261 Views | 2786 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AggieUSMC
Bert315
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Keegan99 said:

Still curious if that's being "supported" by transfers from other areas of the state.

I know some transfers are fairly common at most TMC facilities right now. This is normal even without Covid bc of how our facilities are better prepared to deal with serious illnesses.
oglaw
AG
Bert315 said:

Keegan99 said:

Still curious if that's being "supported" by transfers from other areas of the state.

I know some transfers are fairly common at most TMC facilities right now. This is normal even without Covid bc of how our facilities are better prepared to deal with serious illnesses.

Bert, is your hospital still seeing a decline in hospitalizations?
BiochemAg97
AG
webgem08 said:

The used to do both. I could get daily death in one report and daily positives in another.

I still think Dallas County pocketed positive tests in late June so they could increase counts in July when schools were trying to make plans. These two graphs are just too different.

Kinda looks like a multi week "delay in results" in June suddenly went away by the end of July.

It is entirely possible if they switched testing labs or equipment, but one of the big issues with testing right now is the automated high volume equipment is closely tied to the OEM for testing supplies. Labs may have capacity with the equipment but some of the manufactures are having a hard time making enough supplies to keep their installed base anywhere close to full capacity.
Bert315
AG
oglaw said:

Bert315 said:

Keegan99 said:

Bert, is your hospital still seeing a decline in hospitalizations?

Yes, down 35% from roughly 3 weeks ago. Trending down at a pretty good rate and should hit our lowest spot in over 6 weeks by Thursday or Friday this week.
culdeus
AG
webgem08 said:

The used to do both. I could get daily death in one report and daily positives in another.

I still think Dallas County pocketed positive tests in late June so they could increase counts in July when schools were trying to make plans. These two graphs are just too different.

They stopped reporting rapid testing it sounds like. Because this required results to be faxed, or something. Fun

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/investigations/article/Thousands-of-Texans-are-getting-rapid-result-15452709.php
BiochemAg97
AG
culdeus said:

webgem08 said:

They stopped reporting rapid testing it sounds like. Because this required results to be faxed, or something. Fun

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/investigations/article/Thousands-of-Texans-are-getting-rapid-result-15452709.php
That article confuses a few things.

It refers to not counting rapid tests, implying all rapid tests. It then finally mentions it is referring to antigen tests which is actually only a subset of rapid tests. For example, Abbott has a rapid Isothermal PCR test that takes 5-15 minutes that has been on the market far longer than the antigen tests. And yes, Texas changes the numbers in San Antonio because they moved the antigen positive tests from confirmed to probable.

The reference to faxing reports is about a general issue with data collection and failure to modernize, not something specifically And exclusively required for antigen tests.

I did like the inflammatory "Texas unlike 27 other states". Simple math would tell us that 23 states including a Texas don't count antigen tests as a confirmed positive.

The real question that should be asked is why antigen tests are not counted as confirmed positives. But no one seems to want to ask that question. Much easier to just complain that they aren't counted because understanding the answer to that question may be difficult.
culdeus
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

culdeus said:

webgem08 said:

That article confuses a few things.

It refers to not counting rapid tests, implying all rapid tests. It then finally mentions it is referring to antigen tests which is actually only a subset of rapid tests. For example, Abbott has a rapid Isothermal PCR test that takes 5-15 minutes that has been on the market far longer than the antigen tests. And yes, Texas changes the numbers in San Antonio because they moved the antigen positive tests from confirmed to probable.

The reference to faxing reports is about a general issue with data collection and failure to modernize, not something specifically And exclusively required for antigen tests.

I did like the inflammatory "Texas unlike 27 other states". Simple math would tell us that 23 states including a Texas don't count antigen tests as a confirmed positive.

The real question that should be asked is why antigen tests are not counted as confirmed positives. But no one seems to want to ask that question. Much easier to just complain that they aren't counted because understanding the answer to that question may be difficult.
While true, this is more a gish gallop, the question was towards why the data looks different, whether the reason for this is good or bad is really not relevant.
BiochemAg97
AG
I don't think that is the issue here since one is a graph of day tested and one is a graph of day reported, it would seem that rapid tests would have a small time lag between day tested and day reported, yet we see a large time lag (2+ weeks) in June since the peak in day reported doesn't start until much later.

Now, the delay from faxing data may shift reported dates from testing performed in June into July, but unless they suddenly fixed that issue and corrected the backlog, It doesn't explain the other end of the curve where there is only a short delay (maybe a week) between the diminishing number of cases by day tested compared to day reported.

The difference in the curve indicated a compression of of the delay between the day the test was conducted as we move from early June to late July. That could be explained by a shift from PCR tests to rapid tests, but that would be exactly the opposite of what not counting rapid tests would indicate.
Fitch
AG
I seem to recall Dallas County taking control of the testing sites a few weeks ago and moving away from the state/federal(?) assistance because of lags in test turn around.
Prexys Moon
AG
webgem08 said:

Nothing would surprise me with that little statist Clay Jenkins. I don't trust a single statistic coming out of Dallas county.
plain_o_llama
Latest Dallas County Summary

https://www.dallascounty.org/Assets/uploads/docs/hhs/2019-nCoV/COVID-19%20DCHHS%20Summary_080720.pdf

PJYoung
AG
Keegan99
AG
Bunk unless you account for testing volume, population density, and a host of other factors.

LA County has had masks mandatory since May? Cases rise.

Hawaii? Mandatory masks and strict lockdown. Cases rise.

Japan? Masks are cultural. Cases rise.

Philippines? Incredibly high mask usage. Cases rise.

This seems like a heck of a confounding factor.
JP_Losman
AG
Given that masks slow down the spread of respiratory illness in general, we should ALWAYS wear them.

Masks are the new normal and the human race will always wear them in public hence forth.
MaxPower
JP_Losman said:

Given that masks slow down the spread of respiratory illness in general, we should ALWAYS wear them.

Masks are the new normal and the human race will always wear them in public hence forth.
Now replace mask with eliminating all social interaction and you have the next phase in treatment.
Charpie
AG
Gosh I hope not.

I'd gladly wear a mask so I can hug people again
Complete Idiot
Keegan99 said:

Bunk unless you account for testing volume, population density, and a host of other factors.

LA County has had masks mandatory since May? Cases rise.

Hawaii? Mandatory masks and strict lockdown. Cases rise.

Japan? Masks are cultural. Cases rise.

Philippines? Incredibly high mask usage. Cases rise.

This seems like a heck of a confounding factor.
"You have to consider a lot of factors"

Then lists of four examples of rises while listing one factor: masks. Bizarre retort.

What was your main problem with the tweet he chose as compared to the tweets you choose? That it suggested masks slow the spread (note: cases are still rising, as in there is still new cases, but added them at a slower rate)? Or do you think it was just incorrectly gathered data?

Did LA conduct with and without mask testing? CAn you provide the testing volume, pop densities, and host of other factor data you requested from the person you replied to?

While I agree there is not a scientific study backing this, and sure there are a lot of questions even after reading the linked article, I just get frustrated at your reply since you post tweets like this ALL THE TIME. Some conclusion based off a twitter posted chart derived from data of unknown source and scientific basis.
beerad12man
AG
JP_Losman said:

Uh, no. Sorry.
Complete Idiot
beerad12man said:

JP_Losman said:

Uh, no. Sorry.
I believe he is being sarcastic.
beerad12man
AG
I would hope so, but you never know these days
BiochemAg97
AG
PJYoung said:

Notice that the blue mask counties (<10) still have lower levels than the red mask counties (>15)... nice job platting them on different axis.to hide that.
Beat40
BiochemAg97 said:

PJYoung said:

Notice that the blue mask counties still have lower levels than the red mask counties... nice job platting them on different axis.to hide that.

Wow, that's blatant.
RandyAg98
AG
Just goes to show you can make statistics look however you want if you are creative.
Complete Idiot
Still hate tweets being used to argue some point, maybe more than ever after this one.
Beat40
Complete Idiot said:

Still hate tweets being used to argue some point, maybe more than ever after this one.

Agreed. Making a point with limited characters is not a good idea if you can't be clear.
Keegan99
AG
Kansas chart was doctored.

https://sentinelksmo.org/kdhe-doctored-a-covid-case-chart-to-justify-mask-mandates/

fullback44
AG
So really we shouldn't be wearing a mask.. mask raise your chances according to,that study
Fitch
AG
No. Just...no.

What were the counties?

NASAg03
Fitch said:

No. Just...no.

What were the counties?

Dr Norman wouldn't say. Doesn't matter because when you plot the data on the same scale, the no mask counties are winning.
Mike Shaw - Class of '03
BowSowy
AG
fullback44 said:

So really we shouldn't be wearing a mask.. mask raise your chances according to,that study
Something tells me no argument is going to change your opinion on this topic
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
RandyAg98 said:

Just goes to show you can make statistics look however you want if you are creative.

A man asks a mathematician, an engineer, and a statistician what 2+2 is.
The mathematician quickly announces that it is exactly 4.0
The engineer tells him it is between 3.9 and 4.1 but that range should be close enough to be useful.
The statistician closes the door, draws the curtains and dims the light and asks "what do you want it to be?"
Keegan99
AG
North Carolina state officials also caught doctoring charts.

Fitch
AG
"Winning"

Lol, that's just perfect. Well done.
PJYoung
AG
I think i should be banned from Twitter for a while. No good ever comes from it.
Charpie

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.