Daily Charts

564,914 Views | 2786 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AggieUSMC
CowtownAg06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dragmagpuff said:

rynning said:

rynning said:

dragmagpuff said:

TMC now saying that Current COVID-19 caseload growth trajectory suggests base ICU capacity could be exceeded in 2 weeks...
Bookmarked.
Well I bookmarked this post on June 4th and actually remembered to look it up two weeks later.

I checked the link, and we're still two weeks away. Very scary.
The very next day, they said it was 5 weeks. And then would bounce between 2 and 5 weeks every other day. Clearly that metric is not reliable.
On Sunday they were at "no concern". I've quit watching that indicator and now just paying attention to the outright rise.
Gordo14
CowtownAg06 said:

dragmagpuff said:

rynning said:

rynning said:

dragmagpuff said:

TMC now saying that Current COVID-19 caseload growth trajectory suggests base ICU capacity could be exceeded in 2 weeks...
Bookmarked.
Well I bookmarked this post on June 4th and actually remembered to look it up two weeks later.

I checked the link, and we're still two weeks away. Very scary.
The very next day, they said it was 5 weeks. And then would bounce between 2 and 5 weeks every other day. Clearly that metric is not reliable.
On Sunday they were at "no concern". I've quit watching that indicator and now just paying attention to the outright rise.

You should look at it is maybe a 7 day average. If 6 of 7 days suggest concern, then it is concerning and meaningful.
HotardAg07
AG
In 10 days the ICU bed occupancy in Houston has gone up by >20%. Obviously, still below "normal ICU capacity", but 20% increases in 10 day increments is going to add up eventually.

Cyp0111
I'm more worried about Texas tbh vs. rest of USA. We are not doing enough and it's just not sitting with me very well.
Keegan99
AG
Realistically we're due for some "catch up".

Georgia peaked in April at 42 fatalities per day. Texas peaked in April at 38 fatalities per day, but Texas is 3x the population of Georgia.

A big part of the reason why Texas is looking "bad" now is because of our earlier success.

Even now, New York, a smaller state where the epidemic has "passed", has more fatalities per day than Texas.
beerad12man
AG
Cyp0111 said:

I'm more worried about Texas tbh vs. rest of USA. We are not doing enough and it's just not sitting with me very well.
We are well under capacity, so this is opinionated without much to substantiate it.

In my opinion, respectfully I believe we are doing enough because we have been and are continuing to meet our main goal with flying colors. .
aggiesherpa
AG
These are very helpful charts! As we are seeing an increase in hospitalizations in Dallas, our family was just talking about what the normal capacity for hospital bed and ICU were etc. Thanks for sharing!
HotardAg07 said:

In 10 days the ICU bed occupancy in Houston has gone up by >20%. Obviously, still below "normal ICU capacity", but 20% increases in 10 day increments is going to add up eventually.

plain_o_llama
For people interested in Dallas data go to

https://www.dallascounty.org/covid-19/

and scroll down to Covid-19 Monitoring Data Link.

You seem to have to repeat the process every day rather than keep an open tab in a browser to
get the most recent report.

They don't show capacities in that link. That may be available elsewhere.
DCAggie13y
AG
Keegan99 said:

Georgia peaked in April at 42 fatalities per day. Texas peaked in April at 38 fatalities per day, but Texas is 3x the population of Georgia.

A big part of the reason why Texas is looking "bad" now is because of our earlier success.

Even now, New York, a smaller state where the epidemic has "passed", has more fatalities per day than Texas.

This is exactly right. There are 38 states with more per capita COVID deaths than Texas. The only states with fewer deaths do not have any metro areas that are comparable to Dallas, Houston, Austin and San Antonio.

Texas has done better than every single state by almost any measure considering the fact that it actually has several urban areas.
KidDoc
AG
Gumby said:

Keegan99 said:

This is exactly right. There are 38 states with more per capita COVID deaths than Texas. The only states with fewer deaths do not have any metro areas that are comparable to Dallas, Houston, Austin and San Antonio.

Texas has done better than every single state by almost any measure considering the fact that it actually has several urban areas.
I suspect it is largely due to the fact that Texans, even in urban centers, tend to shy away from public transportation and cramped housing relative to the megacities in the NE and California/Washington.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggieUSMC
AG
Quote:

Is that increase due to COVID admissions or the fact that elective procedures are beginning to ramp up again?
DCAggie13y
AG
KidDoc said:

Gumby said:

Keegan99 said:

I suspect it is largely due to the fact that Texans, even in urban centers, tend to shy away from public transportation and cramped housing relative to the megacities in the NE and California/Washington.

I dont think Texans are any more shy than people that live in Kansas, Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska, North Dakota, Vermont and New Hampshire. Yet Texas has a lower death rate than all of those states. I was thinking maybe warmer weather but Arizona is getting slammed and New Mexico and Florida are also much higher than Texas.
HotardAg07
AG
Unquestionably it's due to increased hospitalizations from CV

BiochemAg97
AG
AggieUSMC said:

Quote:

Is that increase due to COVID admissions or the fact that elective procedures are beginning to ramp up again?
TMC breaks down the ICU on this chart. As of yesterday, 21% of ICU bed capacity is occupied by COVID. that is up from 17% a few days ago. It was hovering at 15-16 for a while before that.

Fitch
AG

Fitch
AG
Hospitalizations by TSA Region

Fitch
AG
DFW Area

Houston Area

I-35 Corridor

Border Counties

Panhandle Area

North Texas

Brazos Valley

oglaw
AG
Follow the ethical skeptic on twitter. Has a lot of good information on all the numbers.
DCAggie13y
AG
Texas is still sitting at 39th in the US in deaths per capita.
Gordo14
Gumby said:

The rate the virus is spreading right now, that will change.
Beat40
Gordo14 said:

Gumby said:

Maybe. Lots of younger folk testing positive right now. Why don't we wait and see?
Gordo14
Beat40 said:

Gordo14 said:

Gumby said:

Maybe. Lots of younger folk testing positive right now. Why don't we wait and see?

Sure. And we'll see deaths per capita go up. It's just a fact. We've already seen deaths go up. Lot of people trying to normalize the virus.

I hope I'm proven wrong, but hope doesn't change what's happening. So sure we can wait and see if you don't want to think about it. But somebody has to predict and model outcomes to make informed policy decisions.
DCAggie13y
AG
Gordo14 said:

Beat40 said:

Gordo14 said:

Gumby said:

Sure. And we'll see deaths per capita go up. It's just a fact. We've already seen deaths go up. Lot of people trying to normalize the virus.

I hope I'm proven wrong, but hope doesn't change what's happening. So sure we can wait and see if you don't want to think about it. But somebody has to predict and model outcomes to make informed policy decisions.

Deaths are going up in all the other states as well. In fact Tennessee just moved ahead of Texas in deaths per capita in the last couple days.
Old Buffalo
AG
Agreed. "Informed policy decisions"

Which is exactly the opposite of what's been done to date.
Beat40
Gordo14 said:

Beat40 said:

Gordo14 said:

Gumby said:

Sure, it probably will. Not denying that. But you make it sound as if for certain Texas will become way worse than 39th. It's certainly possible we move up beyond 39th, but we will see how much.

My point is if the primary group of cases is younger, percentage wise, it will not rise nearly as high.
Beat40
Old Buffalo said:

Agreed. "Informed policy decisions"

Which is exactly the opposite of what's been done to date.

We had plenty of data regarding risk levels for certain groups of people at the beginning from the time this got to the USA. We made no policy decisions at that time with those risk levels in mind and put millions on unemployment.

I hope we've learned our lesson and actually use whatever we data have today to truly make wise decisions based on what the data is showing, but honestly, I'm not entirely confident in the leaders' decision making at this point.

It does seem like private hospitals have done an awesome job of making use of the time that was provided to them to get prepared. They answered the call. I'm hoping private long term care facilities have done the same.
culdeus
AG
San Antonio hospital admits up 20% today?
Gap
AG
Great results in the US on the most critical outcome.

Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
corleoneAg99
AG
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

Within the context of this chart, how are "hospitalizations" defined? A person is admitted and being treated primarily for Covid(they didn't show up for an elective and just test positive) and are occupying a bed, but just not in ICU and/or on a vent?
CowtownAg06
AG
SE Texas data here. Cases up, capacity looks good still.

ICU

General Beds
terradactylexpress
ICU capacity is getting tight in Harris.
RandyAg98
AG
link?
KlinkerAg11
AG
https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-updates/total-icu-bed-occupancy/
Gordo14
KlinkerAg11 said:

https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-updates/total-icu-bed-occupancy/

I'm sure there's some extended surge capacity potential, but sub 2 weeks of capacity remaining is a very ominous sign. And I believe they are using a linear model instead of what could be an exponential to project future hospitalizations. 2 weeks may be optimistic until we are digging into surge capacity... And unless something seriously changes the transmission rate soon, we'll be in a bad place within a month - surge capacity or otherwise.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.