Daily Charts

595,258 Views | 2786 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AggieUSMC
nortex97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd agree with the big picture timeline. Caveat is that there aren't many infections in the summer for coronaviruses anyway. It's likely peaking now/next 45 days.
ETFan
Those seem like reasonable projections to me. Hope they become reality.
Duncan Idaho
Quote:

This translates to a final US COVID-19 death toll of roughly 600,000 (100,000) reported deaths, or ~300,000 additional deaths since mid-December 2020

Can someone explain the "600,00 (100,000) reported deeths" part to me?

I get the 600,000 reported death number. That seems reasonable.

I don't understand the 100,000 number.
pocketrockets06
AG
It's + / - 100,000. Formatting error
AgsMyDude
AG
Have we hit the peak?

Beat40
I sure hope so.
plain_o_llama
Dallas County Summary Report

https://www.dallascounty.org/Assets/uploads/docs/hhs/2019-nCoV/C-19-risklevelmgmt/012021-DallasCounty-COVID-19-Hospitalization-Data.pdf

Duncan Idaho
Thanks.
Duncan Idaho
Fingers crossed.
gougler08
AG
We are past the New Years surge now and the weather is warming up already in the south, we should be past the peak now

I hope
PJYoung
AG
Feels like we are past the peak to me. Keep those vaccinations rolling.
Fitch
AG
PJYoung said:

Feels like we are past the peak to me. Keep those vaccinations rolling.
Agreed.
AgsMyDude
AG
Stole these from covidtrackingproject.com

For hospitalizations, US as a whole, along with every region is in decline.

Every state but 1 is improving. 28 of the 30 marked as "staying the same" are in the negative and will be in "Falling" soon

AgsMyDude
AG
And there it is, almost half the states in a huge decline hospitalization wise
Keegan99
AG
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/new-cases-50-states

Not a Bot
AG
BiochemAg97
AG
see the 3 peaks in the daily tests mirrored in the daily new cases. Not exactly surprising that positive cases falls with # of tests. Notice the hospitalizations don't show local maximum.

But there are three local maxima in the daily deaths too. That seems odd.
Keegan99
AG
Reporting dips due to holidays?
HotardAg07
AG
As Keegan said, likely reporting dips. You don't see the same dips in the hospitalization data.
Tabasco
AG
How much of the sharp decline in positive cases in the past week is due to new stringent criteria for positive cases noted by WHO on inauguration day (not sure if CDC ever jumped on the bandwagon, and I'm not sure MSM would even report it if so).
HotardAg07
AG
Tabasco said:

How much of the sharp decline in positive cases in the past week is due to new stringent criteria for positive cases noted by WHO on inauguration day (not sure if CDC ever jumped on the bandwagon, and I'm not sure MSM would even report it if so).
I think zero. I don't think that has been implemented anywhere. Again, you can see the dip in hospitalizations across the country, which is an indication that the reversal is real.
GAC06
AG
I'm not saying it's happening but wouldn't stricter testing also result in a drop in hospitalizations? Are hospitals still testing everyone admitted?
AggieBiker
AG
GAC06 said:

I'm not saying it's happening but wouldn't stricter testing also result in a drop in hospitalizations? Are hospitals still testing everyone admitted?
I don't think so. People aren't being hospitalized because they test positive, they are being put in because the effects are so bad, low O2, fevers, lung issues etc. And yes they are still testing everyone for Covid that is admitted to a hospital whether they are having a baby, a broken arm or whatever.
HotardAg07
AG
AggieBiker said:

GAC06 said:

I don't think so. People aren't being hospitalized because they test positive, they are being put in because the effects are so bad, low O2, fevers, lung issues etc. And yes they are still testing everyone for Covid that is admitted to a hospital whether they are having a baby, a broken arm or whatever.
I agree.

I think the degree to the drop off in reported cases is also inflated by an over-shoot in reported cases following the holidays due to reporting backlog. There is a significant dip in Christmas/New Years in new REPORTED cases, then a surge afterwards, then a drop. If you smooth that out, the apparent 33% drop in cases may be more like 10-15%
GAC06
AG
I mean if someone goes to the hospital after a car wreck and tests positive, does that go down as a covid hospitalization?
HotardAg07
AG

This rough sketch is what I mean about how it's possible smoother/more timely reporting could make the current drop not as aggressive as it currently seems.
Keegan99
AG
Another contributor? Regional peaks. The US curve is the sum of several smaller waves.

Fitch
AG
State-wide Trends

Regional Trends

Trauma Service Area Hospitalizations

plain_o_llama
Dallas County Summary Report

https://www.dallascounty.org/Assets/uploads/docs/hhs/2019-nCoV/C-19-risklevelmgmt/012821-DallasCounty-COVID-19-Hospitalization-Data.pdf

Things seem to be headed in a better direction

AggieBiker
AG
GAC06 said:

I mean if someone goes to the hospital after a car wreck and tests positive, does that go down as a covid hospitalization?
So you think covid is causing people to have severe car wrecks that put them in the hospital? So many that it pushes up the Covid hospitalization numbers? I suppose that's possible so maybe somebody should look into it.
GAC06
AG
AggieBiker said:

GAC06 said:

So you think covid is causing people to have severe car wrecks that put them in the hospital? So many that it pushes up the Covid hospitalization numbers? I suppose that's possible so maybe somebody should look into it.

I'm asking if hospitals are using the less stringent testing protocols mentioned in the WHO message. If everyone at the hospital that tests positive for covid is counted as a covid hospitalization, then less testing of asymptomatic people and following the WHO guidance: ("the cut-off should be manually adjusted to ensure that specimens with high Ct values are not incorrectly assigned SARS-CoV-2 detected due to background noise.") would reduce "covid" hospitalizations.

I don't know how Covid hospitalizations are counted. I don't know if hospitals are adjusting the precision of their tests. But an adjustment could affect hospitalization numbers hypothetically.
AgsMyDude
AG
Tabasco said:

Very little. We saw the exact same drop off from the other two peaks.

Virus gonna virus.
AgsMyDude
AG

PJYoung
AG
plain_o_llama
Latest Dallas County Summary:

https://www.dallascounty.org/Assets/uploads/docs/hhs/2019-nCoV/C-19-risklevelmgmt/020521-DallasCounty-COVID-19-Hospitalization-Data.pdf

Trends continuing in the right direction.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.