Daily Charts

564,928 Views | 2786 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AggieUSMC
BiochemAg97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fitch said:

I wouldn't really expect any policy change one way or the other to show up as a trend in the data until maybe 5-6 weeks after the fact.
Why do you say that? I think it depends on what data, 5-6 weeks to see a drop in hospitalization census and new deaths is probably accurate. New positive test results seems more like 2-3 weeks.

On the other hand, 5-6 weeks is suspiciously close to halfway through the 8-12 peak duration which appears to hold regardless of the control policies used.
Fitch
AG
See post just prior.
ETFan
David_Puddy said:

HotardAg07 said:

Cases and positive test rate have trended down or flat for the last 1-2 weeks, so I think that's what we've seen.

Gee I wonder why that is? Couldn't have anything to do with the 3+ weeks of no protests in Houston or Austin, where 60k+ people were gathered in close proximity or one another. It's all because they closed the bars and reduced capacity at restaurants.

Or maybe it's both?
HotardAg07
AG
David_Puddy said:

HotardAg07 said:

Cases and positive test rate have trended down or flat for the last 1-2 weeks, so I think that's what we've seen.

Gee I wonder why that is? Couldn't have anything to do with the 3+ weeks of no protests in Houston or Austin, where 60k+ people were gathered in close proximity or one another. It's all because they closed the bars and reduced capacity at restaurants.
I'm not an expert or anything, but it seems like a lot of the doctors and contact tracers that are dealing with a high volume of COVID patients are saying that young people in bars and older people exposed to young people in bars seemed to be driving the increase, which is why the recent wave in Texas tended to be younger.

Additionally, it seems pretty clear based on the documented super spreader events that they all happened INDOORS, with long term sustained contact. Studies have shown the virus is 20-300 times less likely to spread outdoors. The protests wouldn't follow that pattern.

Finally, I selfishly hope that the protests didn't cause a spike, because that means we could have large outdoor gatherings such as football games with fans or beach vacations. I hope it proves out that one of our best levers for combating the virus is just being outside more and with our windows open more. If there was documented evidence that the protests were the primary cause of the spike in Texas, that would be a massive blow towards having outdoor sporting events with fans.
PJYoung
AG
Look at any bar that is inside of a restaurant and you realize very quickly where a lot of the spread is occurring.
Knucklesammich
I tend to generally agree with you here; though, I do think that it had to drive some of the spike.

In other words I think if I had to put percentages to it 25% protests and 75% young adults partying because its summer and then giving it to gram and gramps or mom and pop (via siblings or friends).

At this point does it really matter, why do we keep pivoting back to the protests? Why not just focus on how to mitigate the outcome?

Also isn't almost every super spreader event usually traced to the equivalent of a closed room where people are speaking, singing and in relatively close proximity?

The bar argument is always refuted by, "but the protests". Ok I get it the protests can be mentioned but we haven't seen big protests in weeks yet continue to see spikes in populations and areas where there weren't a huge amount of protests.

Yes it can be argued that its dumb to have protests during a pandemic but I think the time to vent spleen over this is well past.

ElephantRider
AG
There's a restaurant with a bar near where I live that does open mic nights. They are staying open for that and packing people in even after the restaurant closes.
cone
AG
I think this discounts the explosive growth from super spreader settings

once mass protests die down and bars are closed and gatherings restricted, I'd expect the spread to die down quickly. given what we know about the Pareto principle of the bug and how super spreader dependent it seems to be.
cone
AG
sorry about your hopes with football

there have been spikes associated specifically with the protests. outdoors in close proximity isn't a fair catch.
ETFan
Knucklesammich said:

At this point does it really matter, why do we keep pivoting back to the protests? Why not just focus on how to mitigate the outcome?

The bar argument is always refuted by, "but the protests". Ok I get it the protests can be mentioned but we haven't seen big protests in weeks yet continue to see spikes in populations and areas where there weren't a huge amount of protests.

Yes it can be argued that its dumb to have protests during a pandemic but I think the time to vent spleen over this is well past.
"But the protests" is just another attempt to make this virus political.

LikeHotardAg07 said, the evidence points more towards bars than protests. Obviously there is spread in both, but indoors, drunk, singing, close proximity, if you're at a bar during a pandemic you're probably not being cautious about masks / distancing, etc...

On football, I just don't see that happening. Sitting in close proximity to people for 3 hours, yelling, mask or not...
beerad12man
AG
Protests clearly played a major role. I'm sure it's both. But more people would have jobs right now if not for them.
Keegan99
AG
It's not the protests themselves. It's the gatherings before and after the protests. Often at bars, restaurants, and homes. People didn't just show up to protest all by their lonesome and then go back home.

The protests spurred a lot of indoor social mixing.
cone
AG
lol like the argument that systemic racism is an urgent public health threat bigger than covid

everything is bull**** and unserious
HotardAg07
AG
Keegan99 said:

It's not the protests themselves. It's the gatherings before and after the protests. Often at bars, restaurants, and homes. People didn't just show up to protest all by their lonesome and then go back home.

The same activity is going to happen before and after football games, tubing the river, going to beaches, etc.
cone
AG
yes yes and yes
AgsMyDude
AG
HotardAg07 said:

Keegan99 said:

The same activity is going to happen before and after football games, tubing the river, going to beaches, etc.

Exactly. This is why the closed a lot of beaches down for the 4th. People whine and moan that getting outside is good for you but not when groups stay together at the condo, go bar hopping after the beach, etc.
BiochemAg97
AG
Knucklesammich said:

I tend to generally agree with you here; though, I do think that it had to drive some of the spike.

In other words I think if I had to put percentages to it 25% protests and 75% young adults partying because its summer and then giving it to gram and gramps or mom and pop (via siblings or friends).

Also isn't almost every super spreader event usually traced to the equivalent of a closed room where people are speaking, singing and in relatively close proximity?

While the protests may have contributed to some cases, I think the bigger effect may have been on behavior.

We went from protests against the lockdown and dangerous and spread the virus to social justice protests are ok in a matter of weeks. Not just from politicians but also from so called experts. Just like with the "masks don't work"->"everyone needs a mask", there is a big loss in credibility when the message changes so drastically.
Knucklesammich
I agree with you 100%. Its a mix of the boy who cried wolf, nothing to see here and flat out misinformation often from the same agencies at the same time.

cone
AG
it might be worth making that distinction if that's the point

the messaging has been and is still complete trash
Aust Ag
AG
ElephantRider said:

There's a restaurant with a bar near where I live that does open mic nights. They are staying open for that and packing people in even after the restaurant closes.
Venture out this week to your favorite Mexican joint, and look at the bar. There's plenty of people there, jammed at that (relatively) small area. People still going to get their drink on.
David_Puddy
AG
ETFan said:

Knucklesammich said:

LikeHotardAg07 said, the evidence points more towards bars than protests. Obviously there is spread in both, but indoors, drunk, singing, close proximity, if you're at a bar during a pandemic you're probably not being cautious about masks / distancing, etc...

On football, I just don't see that happening. Sitting in close proximity to people for 3 hours, yelling, mask or not...

I wasn't trying to make it political at all, but to to try and use logic and say that a gathering of that many people in close proximity of one another wasn't a major reason for the spike is foolish. I have a lot of friends in the bar and restaurant industry who are losing a f ton of $ right now and on the verge of having to shut down completely. I'm just tired of Governors deciding to keep places open while others can't. If people follow the mask order and the tables are spread out for social distancing, I don't see the difference. As the rules are now, you can sit at a table of 6 indoors at a restaurant but not do the same at a bar. How in the world does that make any sense? It's the same damn scenario. The people making it political are the Governors and mayors deciding what is allowed to remain open vs not and hurting the small business owners.
Aust Ag
AG
AgsMyDude said:

HotardAg07 said:

Keegan99 said:

Exactly. This is why the closed a lot of beaches down for the 4th. People whine and moan that getting outside is good for you but not when groups stay together at the condo, go bar hopping after the beach, etc.

I talked to one of my customers 2 or 3 weeks ago, had a few employees out sick with Covid . She said they were protesting, and closer to sunset they'd stop all that and hit the bars. Thirsty!!
BiochemAg97
AG
David_Puddy said:

ETFan said:

Knucklesammich said:

I wasn't trying to make it political at all, but to to try and use logic and say that a gathering of that many people in close proximity of one another wasn't a major reason for the spike is foolish. I have a lot of friends in the bar and restaurant industry who are losing a f ton of $ right now and on the verge of having to shut down completely. I'm just tired of Governors deciding to keep places open while others can't. If people follow the mask order and the tables are spread out for social distancing, I don't see the difference. As the rules are now, you can sit at a table of 6 indoors at a restaurant but not do the same at a bar. How in the world does that make any sense? It's the same damn scenario. The people making it political are the Governors and mayors deciding what is allowed to remain open vs not and hurting the small business owners.
I find it amusing that restaurants maintain a empty table between full tables for indoor tables but no such need outdoors. Yes, I know indoors can outdoors, but wife and I went to one restaurant and when we sat down there were the COVID reserved tables. By the time we were about to leave, the restaurant opened the large windows all along one wall and removed the COVID reserved tables because it was now "outdoor" space.
HotardAg07
AG
David_Puddy said:

ETFan said:

Knucklesammich said:

I don't believe closing bars was an arbitrary decision. The contact tracers and ER doctors and nurses are reporting that a majority of cases are young people who went to bars in the last couple weeks. I do feel the government should take care if bar owners financially during this period since they are making them close.
goodAg80
AG

Fitch
AG
Doing this a day early as I'm on the road for my brother's birthday this weekend. Gotta live a little while you're alive, right?

Statewide Summaries

Metro Area Breakouts

Testing

Harris County

Dallas County

Tarrant County

Travis County

Brazos County

Hospitalizations

Houston-Area Hospitalizations

Fatalities

Fitch
AG
Dallas-Fort Worth

Houston Area

I-35 Corridor

Border Counties

Panhandle

Brazos Valley

Northeast Texas

goodAg80
AG
Thanks Fitch!!
Tabasco
AG
Not looking great for Houston.
BiochemAg97
AG
Tabasco said:

Not all bad news. New cases appear to have leveled off and positivity rate came down before leveling off. Still a ways to go, but Houston seems to be doing better than DFW where new cases is still growing.
tsuag10
AG
Please forgive the question since I'm not a daily follower of this thread.

What is the current "lag-time" in reporting COVID deaths? I remember a while back it was a few weeks or more.
Thanks
HotardAg07
AG
The median lag is 3 weeks
PJYoung
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

Tabasco said:

Not all bad news. New cases appear to have leveled off and positivity rate came down before leveling off. Still a ways to go, but Houston seems to be doing better than DFW where new cases is still growing.
Fitch
AG
Hope this doesn't pan out. Quotes from the president of Houston Methodist basically reaffirming.

https://www.chron.com/local/article/July-4th-may-have-reloaded-the-gun-Houston-15397913.php?cmpid=hpctp
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
This is the same guy that talked out of both sides his mouth a few weeks back.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.