Daily Charts

565,798 Views | 2786 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AggieUSMC
goodAg80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Another tough day. Still not as bad as NYC had it.

Keegan99
AG
To understand what's going on in south Texas...

Charpie
AG
Mexico, as in the entire country Keegan. Doesn't explain Houston, Dallas or Austin
Keegan99
AG
Fully explain? No. Contribute? Absolutely. And in a not insignificant way.

Move the date slider here. You can see the intensity in south Texas radiate north over the past few weeks.

https://healthweather.us/?date=2020-07-06&mode=Observed®ionId=US

AeroAg1
AG
Keegan99 said:

Fully explain? No. Contribute? Absolutely. And in a not insignificant way.

Move the date slider here. You can see the intensity in south Texas radiate north over the past few weeks.

https://healthweather.us/?date=2020-07-06&mode=Observed®ionId=US

Would be interesting to see the stats of citizen vs non citizen in the RGV (and all other border counties in the US) but it's probably not allowed to be mentioned.
Bruce Almighty
AG
At my wife's hospital, 43% of all positive cases have happened in the last week, there's a 75% increase in hospitalizations from this time last month and the current ICU patients are double what they were anytime in may and June.
Cyp0111
Where is hospital?
Bruce Almighty
AG
Cyp0111 said:

Where is hospital?

Missouri
P.U.T.U
AG
What part of Missouri?
Bruce Almighty
AG
Springfield
Complete Idiot
Probably due to Mexico.
Philip J Fry
AG
goodAg80 said:

Until it's people filling up hospitals and dying, I contend that the number infected is pointless to follow.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Philip J Fry said:

goodAg80 said:

Until it's people filling up hospitals and dying, I contend that the number infected is pointless to follow.

Disagree to an extent. Predictably, increased positive cases leads to increased hospitalizations, increased patients on ventilators, and eventually leads to increased deaths. Deaths are already trending up in Texas. It seems we are starting to see some effect of the stricter measures taking place in SA, as our case number per day appear to be trending down. Responding quickly to rises in local cases should prevent large, abrupt spikes that cripple regional healthcare systems. Our ER is still seeing large numbers of COVID, but I'm hopeful for this positive trend in case numbers.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
goodAg80
AG
Philip J Fry said:

goodAg80 said:

To my eyes it looks like people are dying. What am I missing?
PJYoung
AG

kag00
AG
What happened in mid to late June to cause such a spike in Hidalgo County? It certainly wasn't the reopening or Memorial Day in May given when the spikes started. Whatever it is, it would really be instructive to know when thinking about how to effectively battle the virus.
HotardAg07
AG
More good news from Houston. It appears the tightening of restrictions has had a positive effect.

Cases have flattened out

Positive test rate has gone down from it's peak

And now hospitalizations appears to finally be responding, with 2 consecutive days of reductions after more than a month of steady growth

Dare I say that the mask order and closing bars had a positive effect. We could be back to "Phase 1" very soon:
cone
AG
remind me what restrictions were tightened?

just the bars?
BowSowy
AG
Bars closed, restaurant occupancy walked back are the two big ones I can remember
KlinkerAg11
AG
I'm willing to bet peoples habits changed.

Wore masks, ate take out, that kind of deal
HotardAg07
AG
Bars closed, a big source of spread according to the texags doctors working in ERs. But also I think the mask compliance went up with the mask order on businesses and people in general became more cautious again with all of the attention put on the spike.
Cyp0111
I would say mask compliance is high in the general area i live. Up significantly in the last 2 weeks. For reference in the Oak forest/heights area.
AgsMyDude
AG
  • Bars closed/restaurant capacity 50% 12 days ago
  • Mask order 5 days ago

The Bar closings probably had a decent impact but probably too early to tell on the mask order just yet IMO.
HotardAg07
AG
Ah yes but Houston required masks to be worn in businesses 2-3 weeks ago.
Fitch
AG
Through today.
BiochemAg97
AG
Cyp0111 said:

I would say mask compliance is high in the general area i live. Up significantly in the last 2 weeks. For reference in the Oak forest/heights area.
Using random Buc-ees as a measure of mask compliance, I would agree. Early on (months ago), there a decent % of mask wearers, maybe as high as 50%. That dropped off to maybe 10-20% as recently as June 27. This weekend post mask order, I would say 95%+ mask use.
RandyAg98
AG
LINK

AgsMyDude
AG
HotardAg07 said:

15 days ago but yes, you're right, that's fair, was thinking of the state-wide order
BiochemAg97
AG
HotardAg07 said:

Wouldn't we have started seeing the effect of that mask order 1-2 weeks ago?
HotardAg07
AG
Cases and positive test rate have trended down or flat for the last 1-2 weeks, so I think that's what we've seen.
Fitch
AG
I wouldn't really expect any policy change one way or the other to show up as a trend in the data until maybe 5-6 weeks after the fact.
cone
AG
I'd expect it to show up pretty quick in new cases uncovered tbh
David_Puddy
AG
David_Puddy
AG
HotardAg07 said:

Cases and positive test rate have trended down or flat for the last 1-2 weeks, so I think that's what we've seen.

Gee I wonder why that is? Couldn't have anything to do with the 3+ weeks of no protests in Houston or Austin, where 60k+ people were gathered in close proximity or one another. It's all because they closed the bars and reduced capacity at restaurants.
Fitch
AG
Takes +/- a week for symptoms to start that would motivate getting tested. Add a week or two for test results to be returned and filter through the city, county and state public agencies. String together at least a week of case reports to establish a trend, or preferably two seven-day periods due to backlogs in testing, weekend non-reporting, etc.

That's the quick arithmetic to get to 5 weeks for primary level transmission effects resulting from policy changes. Could it happen sooner? Sure, but that's just how things seem to be tracking.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.