Daily Charts

595,283 Views | 2786 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AggieUSMC
BiochemAg97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

So are cases going up, but deaths going down? In Springfield, where I live, we had 8 deaths during the shutdown with the last being on April 9th. Since we've reopened in early May, the number of cases have more than doubled, yet we are still sitting at 8 deaths. It just seems odd that we had 8 deaths in the first three weeks of our first case and zero in the last nine weeks.
I think that may be a result of the change in demographics of who is getting infected. The 20-30 yo crowd that seems to be the bulk of cases now has a very low risk of hospitalizations and death.

I think it hit a number of vulnerable high risk people early before they went into isolation which made it look really bad. Now it is the lower risk groups that are getting it.
Keegan99
AG
Exactly. Not all cases are created equal.

This, along with targeted testing and testing volume, is why case counts cannot be compared over time.

A positive test result today is a very different creature, statistically speaking, than one from two months ago.
BiochemAg97
AG
Fitch said:

The way the article reads some ~60% of them were new in the last week, unless I misread.

The hospitalization metric they referenced is probably a refinement of the one determined by the UT model team, outlined in the below video at about 28:10.

The segment starting at 26:00 kind of has to make you go "huh".

**I don't think that will happen. Just providing a reference point from ~30 days ago.
I have no issue with the metric, more that they have a metric, they haven't cross the threshold, but are reacting as if they are. Yes, hospitalizations increased and it is something to keep an eye on and warn people about, but the constant changing of goal posts is annoying and destroys credibility.
Dazed and Confused
AG
Demographic change in admits, improvements in treatments, haven't seen the data yet. But glad deaths are not currently following hospitalization trend.
TexasAggie008
AG
any way to tell what % of state-wide hospitalizations are currently 20s &30s age ranges?
PJYoung
AG
PJYoung said:

DFWTLR said:

PJYoung said:

Hospitalizations in Hidalgo County:

44 people currently hospitalized in a county of 900,000 and it's a black eye? Seems like they have nothing to worry about to me.

The black eye was for the trend. 12 on May 24th, 44 yesterday.

69 yesterday
AgsMyDude
AG
deaths do tend to lag hospitalizations so it could follow that trend, but maybe not
PJYoung
AG
Duncan Idaho
Jesus..25% hit rate? I dont think it was that high when they were strictly limiting who could get tested.
chimpanzee
Scary twitter graph notwithstanding. Here's Arizona's data website. Lots of info, nothing seems too stressed.

https://www.azdhs.gov/preparedness/epidemiology-disease-control/infectious-disease-epidemiology/covid-19/dashboards/index.php

Big Al 1992
AG
Have family and friends that work at Seton. They are getting slammed. Not sure what capacity they are at or have but sounds like they are close to full.
Fitch
AG
Bit of an uptick.

Sq 17
Duncan Idaho said:

Jesus..25% hit rate? I dont think it was that high when they were strictly limiting who could get tested.

I am guessing There has to be a prison in that group of data. That being said Things are definitely going the wrong way in AZ
wessimo
AG
4,098 new cases reported for Texas yesterday. The previous high (6/10) was 2,504.
Keegan99
AG
Not entirely correct. There was a new high, but it wasn't 4098.

Texas: "The reported cases for June 16 include 2,622 new cases and 1,476 cases that were previously diagnosed among Texas Department of Criminal Justice inmates but that had not been reported by local health departments (887 from Anderson County and 589 from Brazoria County)."
wessimo
AG
Thanks for the insight. They should have backdated those cases.
Keegan99
AG
States across the country have demonstrated their inability to transparently and effectively communicate data throughout the course of this pandemic.

In some cases it's political (eg New York grossly under-reporting deaths of nursing home residents) but in most instances it seems to be reflective of general bureaucratic incompetence.
HotardAg07
AG

ICU capacity still low, but it's ~160 beds higher than 10 days ago. If the trend were to continue, we wouldn't be in a good position in a month or two at that pace.
Duncan Idaho
Keegan99 said:

States across the country have demonstrated their inability to transparently and effectively communicate data throughout the course of this pandemic.

In some cases it's political (eg New York grossly under-reporting deaths of nursing home residents) but in most instances it seems to be reflective of general bureaucratic incompetence.

Florida is by far the biggest example of shady reporting to reflect local politics.
Dazed and Confused
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Have family and friends that work at Seton. They are getting slammed. Not sure what capacity they are at or have but sounds like they are close to full.

Just saw that there are 12 nurses that are arriving from Michigan on Sunday to help out at Seton. It is not only hospital beds, but staff that gets impacted.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Which narrative? The one you don't like? Did you like the NY narrative so it was ok?
Duncan Idaho
OlSarge92 said:

Which narrative? The one you don't like? Did you like the NY narrative so it was ok?

I dont like anyone ****ing with data.
Beat40
Duncan Idaho said:

I think some of the reason the hit rate is going up is because seasonal sickness like the flu and seasonal allergies trend down during this time. Probably a lot less people going in to get tested with other sickness than before.

Granted, it's not the full reason for a 25% hit rate, but it's a factor.
HotardAg07
AG
This is a case where I wish the federal government had standardized reporting requirements across all states for not just cases, but tests, hospitalizations, confirmed deaths, probable deaths -- broken down by age, race, etc. There has been too much inconsistency in the reporting and too much room for gamesmanship of the data.
czechy91
AG
Houston - looks like we have liftoff!
Premium
AG
czechy91 said:

Checked oil prices before I realized it was a covid response...
Ozzy Osbourne
Keegan99
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Keegan99 said:

Florida is by far the biggest example of shady reporting to reflect local politics.

Not even close.

NY takes the cake with their nursing home fatality totals. They've miscategorized upwards of ten thousand deaths to avoid Cuomo taking heat for the ridiculous order forcing facilities to accept COVID+ patients.
MAROON
AG
czechy91 said:

yep - to be expected. We've opened up somewhat, and we had 80k-100k people marching shoulder to shoulder for hours just a few weeks ago. That will lead to an increase in positive tests.

Friend who is a doc at Methodist said the number of cases he is seeing have increased significantly and they are skewing younger. All very predictable given the past weeks.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
TxAG#2011
"may be"

It doesn't make sense either. We have been open for a month now and employers are just now asking for people to get tested? Also, hospitlizations are certainly going up.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Lots of employers have been exclusively WFH and are just now bringing non essentials back to office. We are in our internal Stage 2 re opening with 2/3 allowed back on site. Based on the amount of stupid CYA we are required to do, I totally believe that some employers would require a negative test before returning.
culdeus
AG
Lester Freamon said:

Lots of employers have been exclusively WFH and are just now bringing non essentials back to office. We are in our internal Stage 2 re opening with 2/3 allowed back on site. Based on the amount of stupid CYA we are required to do, I totally believe that some employers would require a negative test before returning.

Every day?
plain_o_llama
Not all the state, but it doesn't support the idea that testing rates have greatly increased.
https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-updates/covid-19-testing-trends/
CowtownAg06
AG
Your chart does show the positivity rate going up. I was just coming to post this... I don't understand why we're only do 1/2 of the tests of a week ago.

Duncan Idaho
Can't have any cases if to you dont test /djt

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.