Daily Charts

597,059 Views | 2786 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AggieUSMC
Squadron7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
plain_o_llama said:

I suspect the success of the vaccination campaign in regards to reducing deaths is dependent on the uptake of various age groups. Vaccinating 80% of students doesn't buy the same as 80% of people 65+.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm

Early on this virus told us exactly how to combat it. And we largely ignored it.
cone
AG
legit curious what carrot/stick they (government, large businesses, corporations) are going to use to goad the hesitant but not militantly opposed

i anticipate a complete reversal on the messaging about how we can't get back to normal post-vaccination

it'll be a tough lift given the moral energy tied into mask wearing
amercer
AG
For the hesitant/apathetic having the shots at their PCP will probably do the trick.
PJYoung
AG
beerad12man
AG
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EzCSe0UXAAErfXJ?format=png&name=medium
amercer
AG
With those 65+ numbers the deaths should continue to fall
beerad12man
AG
Texas might be slightly behind most overall but we are killing it with 65+
gougler08
AG
beerad12man said:

Texas might be slightly behind most overall but we are killing it with 65+

That may mean cases plateau a bit here but I'd expect hospitalizations and deaths to keep going down
BiochemAg97
AG
PJYoung said:

0.0 change in Texas is not increasing.
Fitch
AG
Just go get your damn shot.
coolerguy12
AG
Fitch said:

No
Aston94
AG
coolerguy12 said:

Fitch said:

No
I understand a lot of things about not liking the way government has handled Covid, a lot of things. But I do not understand those who refuse to get a vaccine. The fastest way to put all of this behind us is to get the vaccine.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Aston94 said:

coolerguy12 said:

Fitch said:

No
I understand a lot of things about not liking the way government has handled Covid, a lot of things. But I do not understand those who refuse to get a vaccine. The fastest way to put all of this behind us is to get the vaccine.
The fastest way to put this all behind us is to realize that you don't need the government to tell you when you can carry on with your life. I'm sorry you feel that way...

And I don't give a rats ass if you understand people that don't want the vaccine... if you want it, get it.
beerad12man
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Aston94 said:

coolerguy12 said:

Fitch said:

No
The fastest way to put this all behind us is to realize that you don't need the government to tell you when you can carry on with your life. I'm sorry you feel that way...

And I don't give a rats ass if you understand people that don't want the vaccine... if you want it, get it.

Many of us moved on as an individual months ago.

But this doesn't work for a society. Like it or not, many aren't moving on without it, and politicians aren't letting up either until numbers get lower. To truly get back to normal, you should be hoping and praying we get 60, or 70% or more vaccinated because this will directly coincide with numbers fizzling out. the 20-30% that really don't want it? Oh well. But the more the better. It's not hard to understand why
ttha_aggie_09
AG
The politicians can do all that they want but they have been wrong about the majority of things associated with this pandemic. If you're waiting on their approval or for them to move on, that's your problem...

And what numbers are sufficient? You mention "when the numbers get lower" but fail to throw any specifics of what that number may be... why?

The high risk population is largely vaccinated, the majority of younger people have had it, and the remaining people that choose not to receive the vaccine will probably survive, while some may not.
riverrataggie
AG
Only the government can tell you when it's your turn to die or not.
beerad12man
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

The politicians can do all that they want but they have been wrong about the majority of things associated with this pandemic. If you're waiting on their approval or for them to move on, that's your problem...

And what numbers are sufficient? You mention "when the numbers get lower" but fail to throw any specifics of what that number may be... why?

The high risk population is largely vaccinated, the majority of younger people have had it, and the remaining people that choose not to receive the vaccine will probably survive, while some may not.
Again, as an individual, I don't care. Do what you want. I have been since April 2020 after determining my own relative risk/reward, other than wearing a mask when absolutely required. I wish more would get back to normal yesterday.

But we are talking as a society here. As in, when does my freaking employer drop his mask mandate, that is largely dictated by the City of Austin still "requiring" them, even if unenforceable? When do other states open up 100%? When do schools open up 100% AND take the masks off our children? I really don't know.

When you track daily deaths, and they still show 750-850 deaths a day, many of the country that are bad at risk assessment will still go along with it thinking, even after vaccination, death is right around the corner for them. Hopefully more and more of even the most hardcore lockdown/mask/fearful people just say f*** it as they are vaccinated, but for now, enough of the population is still listening/going along with it. Here in texas it's getting less and less, and other states who haven't lived as free as we are will likely take longer.

The number is determined by the population, more so than the politicians(but the politicians will abuse that population as long as they can, IMO), and their ability to better assess risk, particularly post vaccination. In terms of vaccinations, we are at 49% of adults. My guess is, when that number reaches about 60-70% of adults, you are going to see more and more of a laid back type of attitude, and get closer to normal. Some might still be apprehensive.

As for deaths? Again, I don't know how the public will react. As long as we are doing the daily death tracker, you are going to have some terrified. Maybe they'll get more active at 250 deaths a day? Maybe 500 or less? Maybe 100 or less. Idk.
coolerguy12
AG
Sorry but I'm done jumping through hoops to make the public "feel" safe. It's up to other people to do what they need to do to ensure the safety of themselves and their family.

What's next, I can't drive a truck because my neighbor doesn't feel safe driving a Prius on the road with a truck? I can't grill because my neighbor doesn't feel safe about the fire hazard? I can't own a gun because my neighbor doesn't feel safe living next to a gun toting hillbilly? It may sound extreme but 14 months ago it would have sounded crazy to say, "what's next, I can't go to the grocery store without putting a mask on" or "my kids can't go to school in person?"

And I'm sorry you have to wear a mask at work. But once again, it's not up to me to make your employer "feel" safe.
GEA89
AG
coolerguy12 said:

What's next, I can't drive a truck because my neighbor doesn't feel safe driving a Prius on the road with a truck? I can't grill because my neighbor doesn't feel safe about the fire hazard? I can't own a gun because my neighbor doesn't feel safe living next to a gun toting hillbilly?
Why yes, I fully expect this to be coming soon on both examples, and more.

I still blame participation trophies
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Quote:

Hopefully more and more of even the most hardcore lockdown/mask/fearful people just say f*** it as they are vaccinated, but for now, enough of the population is still listening/going along with it. Here in texas it's getting less and less, and other states who haven't lived as free as we are will likely take longer.

This is ultimately what it is going to take... as many of us that are over this whole thing and have either been vaccinated, have anti-bodies or are just not worried about it, there are probably an equal number of people that refuse to reintegrate into society as we knew it. I think the remaining portion of the population finds themselves in the middle and likely relying on someone else to dictate how they should behave. I believe they will fall in line with whatever group is in the majority.

The numbers will never be good enough for the politicians to fully relinquish their control. You're seeing that in Michigan right now and even Harris county still has a "Red Alert" for Covid.

Vaccinating 60-70% of the population is not going to be good enough... they will continue to push until they get as close to 100% as they can and they will never make it there.
beerad12man
AG
So am I. When did I say I was jumping through hoops? I'm done with the shenanigans personally, other than when I have no other choice. I live life basically as if it were December of 2019 other than wearing a mask at work.

This has nothing to do with you and me. The question posed to me was when is society going to get back to normal? Answer? Likely when enough have been vaccinated and numbers come down. I can't tell you what exactly those numbers need to be for the population, I just know based on hearing others opinions and stepping out of my own little world, that this has affected far too many people that see things differently than you and I, and will only happen when fear is lower.

It was such a freaking easy, harmless decision to make I still don't understand the backlash. Asking me to social distance, give up jobs, or even wear a mask for a year pisses me off to no end. Asking me to do research and see why it would be better to have a good portion of our population vaccinated? Harmless, and makes perfect sense.

The world needs more compromise, on both sides, imho.
ExpressAg11
AG
That's the issue. Leaders and "scientists" have screwed up the messaging and cried wolf for so long, some people have just chosen to ignore any advice they are given now. Can't really blame them actually. So they see "get vaccinated" as the next "wear a mask all the time". Not saying they are right. Just going to be hard to get everyone on the same page.
beerad12man
AG
Agreed for sure. After we knew better what we were dealing with around May/June of last year, a message on each person's relative risk, what people could do to improve their situation, giving all the facts, and letting adults be adults, leads me to believe that numbers wouldn't have been much different than they are now, and you'd have far more on board trusting the vaccines at this time.

We f**** this world and country up far more than we needed to mentally/psychologically. But at this time, we are where we are, and from where I sit, the vaccines are a much, much quicker way to get more of society back to normal, all the while also lowering deaths/cases which we should all want. I wish to god we didn't publicize it the way we did, politicians didn't try to play god, and the messaging was different, but it wasn't.
GEA89
AG
Don't forget, soon the COVID passport will allow you to go about your business in the country while those without it cannot, per the Biden administration. But requiring a picture ID to vote is "un-American!"

The hypocrisy is real, the politicizing is real, and the people who lay back and accept it are pretty much the same who want the government to feed them, tell them how to think, and direct their lives. The battle in this will be hard fought and I feel lengthy.
Aston94
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Aston94 said:

coolerguy12 said:

Fitch said:

No

If I chose to live in a cave for the rest of my life then your approach might have some validity. But unfortunately, I choose to own a business in the manufacturing sector, travel, go to meetings, etc. and the faster the virus is no longer with us the faster we get back to normalcy in business and in our personal interactions. Vaccine is the fastest way to make that possible. It really isn't a government thing for me, but some of you have elected to make it so.

I have already gotten it, and the fact you cannot communicate the why of why you don't want the vaccine is really all I need to know.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Aston94 said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

Aston94 said:

coolerguy12 said:

Fitch said:

No

If I chose to live in a cave for the rest of my life then your approach might have some validity. But unfortunately, I choose to own a business in the manufacturing sector, travel, go to meetings, etc. and the faster the virus is no longer with us the faster we get back to normalcy in business and in our personal interactions. Vaccine is the fastest way to make that possible. It really isn't a government thing for me, but some of you have elected to make it so.

I have already gotten it, and the fact you cannot communicate the why of why you don't want the vaccine is really all I need to know.
Because I already had Covid and don't need the vaccine... any other questions?

And I have been working and traveling and going to meetings throughout this ordeal as well, not living in a cave. I am wondering if you've been living in a cave based on your comment about how "we have elected to make this a government thing". Have you been paying attention to anything going lately? I can't even sit through a baseball game without some doctor telling everyone why the need a vaccine.
erube
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Aston94 said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

Aston94 said:

coolerguy12 said:

Fitch said:

No

And I have been working and traveling and going to meetings throughout this ordeal as well, not living in a cave. I am wondering if you've been living in a cave based on your comment about how "we have elected to make this a government thing". Have you been paying attention to anything going lately? I can't even sit through a baseball game without some doctor telling everyone why the need a vaccine.
Sure, just one question -- you do know that natural Covid immunity isn't as strong as the one generated by the vaccine?
RafterAg223
AG
erube said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

Aston94 said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

Aston94 said:

coolerguy12 said:

Fitch said:

No

Sure, just one question -- you do know that natural Covid immunity isn't as strong as the one generated by the vaccine?
And you have incontrovertible proof of this where? You write that as though it is bible. There are a number of reputable medical outlets that believe natural immunity to covid will be lasting and durable.
Aston94
AG

Quote:

I am wondering if you've been living in a cave based on your comment about how "we have elected to make this a government thing"

I said YOU were making this discussion a government thing. I don't care what government is telling me or isn't telling me. With my own experience I can see that businesses are going to be hesitant to lessen their Covid policies until the virus is more fully mitigated, ie until most of us have a shot.

On this thread I have railed against how government has handled the virus, but I also can see with my own eyes that until most of us are vaccinated my freedoms are going to be somewhat limited. I am all for restoring my full freedoms, and if that means getting a vaccine for the general good, then so be it.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Quote:

Please provide a link for this statement

I would also like to see a single shred of evidence that suggests someone that had Covid with, VERY mild symptoms, has been reinfected AND has worse/severe symptoms and/or death. To my knowledge that doesn't exist and I think I'll let my own immune system fight it off again, chief.

One last thing, to stay on topic with of this thread - how many people have actually been reinfected with Covid? I haven't seen any compelling evidence that suggests people that were infected last year are being reinfected? Which combined with vaccinations, perfectly explains the reduction in number of cases, deaths and hospitalization rates.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Geez, formatting issues

Quote:

I said YOU were making this discussion a government thing. I don't care what government is telling me or isn't telling me. With my own experience I can see that businesses are going to be hesitant to lessen their Covid policies until the virus is more fully mitigated, ie until most of us have a shot.

On this thread I have railed against how government has handled the virus, but I also can see with my own eyes that until most of us are vaccinated my freedoms are going to be somewhat limited. I am all for restoring my full freedoms, and if that means getting a vaccine for the general good, then so be it.

Nope - businesses are going to continue doing this until their bottom line is hurt. This is why you're seeing companies mandate mask requirements for employees but not for customers. The potential liability from an employee being exposed is real but obviously not high enough for the majority of businesses to require customers to adhere to the same policy.

What does the second part in bold even mean? "you're all for restoring your freedom" ... ummmm, okay. Your freedom is an inalienable right that is not up for discussion from anyone else - same as mine. I don't have to adhere to some sort of societal contract that makes you or anyone else feel better. Society is a community of interdependent individuals, not a flock of sheep.

"for the general good"

I tend to overlook this comment but it is getting so tiresome and overplayed, particularly on this board. No one has ever been asked to do such a thing and this new virtue signal is unprecedented and quite frankly, ridiculous. We're not dealing with Polio, the Bubonic Plague, Small Pox or some other extremely deadly pathogen. The effectiveness of the vaccine is pretty clear. Get it and you don't really have to worry about infection and certainly not death or even hospitalization; but don't worry about everyone else. You've mitigated your risk and let everyone else choose how they want to mitigate theirs.
Aston94
AG
So out of general curiosity, did you get other vaccinations when you were a child? Do you have your children get vaccines?

Getting a vaccine for "the general good" is not "virtue signaling" to me, it is just a fact that if we want our full ability to travel and operate our businesses as we would like (I will avoid using "Freedom" because you seem to get stuck on that word) restored the virus is going to have to be limited. I am not really talking about wearing a mask in a retail setting, retailers (the good ones) have figured out how to handle this world and still get customers their goods, whether it be food or merchandise.

But there is a bigger world of business that is still on lock down, and will be until the virus is more limited. I am talking about in person meetings with larger clients. Getting hose clients back to their offices so they can have meetings that aren't on Zoom. I am talking about actually being able to draw in new customers and show them why they need my service or good. I am talking about being able to order new equipment from Europe or the Far East and be able to count on an arrival date. There is a whole world of international (and domestic) business that has been operating largely on status quo for a year now. But yes, you can go into your Chic-Fil-A now and the manager won't scowl at you if you don't have on a mask, even though he or she still has to wear one.
GAC06
AG
Some stuff won't be "normal" until people are told it's ok. That could happen right now, but instead it will happen at some unknown and intentionally vague time in the future.
gougler08
AG
Aston94 said:

So out of general curiosity, did you get other vaccinations when you were a child? Do you have your children get vaccines?

Getting a vaccine for "the general good" is not "virtue signaling" to me, it is just a fact that if we want our full ability to travel and operate our businesses as we would like (I will avoid using "Freedom" because you seem to get stuck on that word) restored the virus is going to have to be limited. I am not really talking about wearing a mask in a retail setting, retailers (the good ones) have figured out how to handle this world and still get customers their goods, whether it be food or merchandise.

But there is a bigger world of business that is still on lock down, and will be until the virus is more limited. I am talking about in person meetings with larger clients. Getting hose clients back to their offices so they can have meetings that aren't on Zoom. I am talking about actually being able to draw in new customers and show them why they need my service or good. I am talking about being able to order new equipment from Europe or the Far East and be able to count on an arrival date. There is a whole world of international (and domestic) business that has been operating largely on status quo for a year now. But yes, you can go into your Chic-Fil-A now and the manager won't scowl at you if you don't have on a mask, even though he or she still has to wear one.
Hell the CFA's by me are still drive-thru / curbside only
80sGeorge
AG
As much as I've enjoyed the (logical) push back on the vax nazis, can we maybe just stick to the charts?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.