Daily Charts

595,291 Views | 2786 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AggieUSMC
Aust Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I saw videos of downtown here, and apparently many can skirt the rules by selling more food. They looked packed, so might as well open up.
GAC06
AG
Tabasco said:

Fitch said:

Bars in my area of Houston were sardine cans this weekend. Surprised to see a nightclub open as well.

So it goes.
I thought bars were still closed. Did I miss Abbott opening them up and saving them from bankruptcy?

I know of several bars I've been to recently that are back open by selling food. They're pretty much back to normal and the world keeps turning.
Fitch
AG
This past week TABC offered a special permit bars could buy to open if they sell food. Food trucks, bag of chips, hand full of peanuts...
BiochemAg97
AG
Fitch said:

This past week TABC offered a special permit bars could buy to open if they sell food. Food trucks, bag of chips, hand full of peanuts...
pay the government so you can get around the government mandated closure. What a joke.
DadHammer
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

Fitch said:

pay the government so you can get around the government mandated closure. What a joke.

So dang true!
ham98
The government and the mob. It's hard to see the difference most days
74Ag1
AG
74Ag1 said:

Dropping like a rock!!!!

DadHammer
AG
I still can't figure out how they get that number. If you go back 14 days, most people are over it by 14 days, active infected number should be closer to 56,000 active cases. That number is 50% higher than what you calculate from average infected in the last two weeks??
74Ag1
AG
DadHammer said:

I still can't figure out how they get that number. If you go back 14 days, most people are over it by 14 days, active infected number should be closer to 56,000 active cases. That number is 50% higher than what you calculate from average infected in the last two weeks??

Agree...
More sensational journalism to scare the public

Key message is this thing is dying out

With a vaccine around the corner we can get back to life and maybe near normal

Better metric
So far this week average is 77/day (9/6-9/9)

BiochemAg97
AG
DadHammer said:

If you look at the charts by county, the active cases are very poorly determined. Some counties have interesting patterns where the # of active cases steadily rises for a while then suddenly drops by a large percentage. It is really crazy and makes active cases kinda meaningless because no one is tracking it correctly.
sbarnett84
AG
Used to follow Worldometers very closely until it became abundantly clear that it was completely corrupted data.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Do you have a source for the data you follow now?
sbarnett84
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

Do you have a source for the data you follow now?

No can't say I do.
59 South
AG
If this post is on the B&I forum, lighten up it's just money!

Disclaimer: I'm not that smart.
plain_o_llama
The latest Dallas County Summary is available

https://www.dallascounty.org/Assets/uploads/docs/covid-19/hhs-summary/COVID-19-DCHHS-Summary-091520.pdf

We are getting closer to when Influenza hospitalizations began to be recorded last year.

DadHammer
AG
At that rate of decline a vaccine will not be needed. Herd immunity
cone
AG
old and vulnerable are going to still want the vaccine
ramblin_ag02
AG
cone said:

old and vulnerable are going to still want the vaccine
All of us healthcare workers who haven't already caught it
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DadHammer
AG
Looking at your graphs, how is that even a pandemic with the population size of Dallas in the millions?

nortex97
AG

Pandemic has also decimated college kids.
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

Looking at your graphs, how is that even a pandemic with the population size of Dallas in the millions?
This is the strange math I have been kicking around in my head. I get spooked by all the Docs coming in here and talking about the relatively healthy middle aged people that die. That scares me back inside.

I then think through my own personal knowledge of the disease. There have been enough cases through my friends and family and larger network to leave the realm of anecdote and get into the world of statistically relevant sample.

I know of one person that died . . .he was a pretty morbidly obese friend of a friend working in a big East Texas Ag business.

I know four 80+ year olds that have had the disease and recovered, some with longer lasting GI issues but others who had only mild symptoms.

I know many folks of my age range who had it with a varying degree of symptoms. The two with the dry cough and respiratory issues both responded quickly to whatever they were prescribed.

I know many kids and teens who have rode it out like a mild cold.

I then read this yesterday

Quote:

The county has now accumulated 78,205 cases of the virus since testing began in March. With 70,929 estimated recoveries being reported by the state through Monday, there are roughly 6,279 active cases in Dallas County. There have been 997 confirmed deaths attributed in the county to the virus, which, according to Dallas County Health and Human Services Director Dr. Philip Huang, is now the third leading cause of death in the county behind diseases of the heart and cancers. Since March 20, the date of the first reported COVID-19 related death in Dallas County, the county has averaged 5.5 deaths per day.

So in a country of 2.67 Million people, active cases represent 0.2% of the population. Deaths represent 0.03% of the population.

So I want to go back outside.

AggieBiker
AG
Windy City Ag said:

Quote:

This is the strange math I have been kicking around in my head. I get spooked by all the Docs coming in here and talking about the relatively healthy middle aged people that die. That scares me back inside.

I then think through my own personal knowledge of the disease. There have been enough cases through my friends and family and larger network to leave the realm of anecdote and get into the world of statistically relevant sample.

I know of one person that died . . .he was a pretty morbidly obese friend of a friend working in a big East Texas Ag business.

I know four 80+ year olds that have had the disease and recovered, some with longer lasting GI issues but others who had only mild symptoms.

I know many folks of my age range who had it with a varying degree of symptoms. The two with the dry cough and respiratory issues both responded quickly to whatever they were prescribed.

I know many kids and teens who have rode it out like a mild cold.

I then read this yesterday

Quote:

The county has now accumulated 78,205 cases of the virus since testing began in March. With 70,929 estimated recoveries being reported by the state through Monday, there are roughly 6,279 active cases in Dallas County. There have been 997 confirmed deaths attributed in the county to the virus, which, according to Dallas County Health and Human Services Director Dr. Philip Huang, is now the third leading cause of death in the county behind diseases of the heart and cancers. Since March 20, the date of the first reported COVID-19 related death in Dallas County, the county has averaged 5.5 deaths per day.

So in a country of 2.67 Million people, active cases represent 0.2% of the population. Deaths represent 0.03% of the population.

So I want to go back outside.
You do know it's raining outside, right?

Oh hell, go on out there anyway. It feels great.
P.U.T.U
AG
Look at Collin county, 1.2 million people and average less than a death per day (137 deaths) which is 0.01% of the population.
AgsMyDude
AG
Bexar county has to be one of the worst with these data dumps

• 9/20 - 2,600
  • 9/13 - 1,700
  • 9/7 - 0
  • 8/21 - 0
  • 8/2 - (-95) yes, negative 95
  • 7/28 - 1,500
  • 7/19 - 2,200
  • 7/16 - 5,500

FriscoKid
AG
Quote:

This makes me sad that so many people feel this way. There is a whole world being lived without fear right now by a lot of people. We took family vacations this summer and stayed in hotels. We visited grandparents and celebrated memorial day and labor day with family and friends. We let our kids play with other kids and went to the pools that were open. It was OK to be afraid in Feb/March, but it's been known for a long time that this was not air born Ebola. Get out there and live life. The mental toll that this is taking on people is a real crime. The solution was far worse than the disease.
plain_o_llama
So is this a "pandemic?"

You are pointing at something that has been a problem since the virus found its way out of a lab in China (or whatever we will be told is the official story). And that problem is the imprecise language that has been used and abused throughout.

For instance, Pandemic is used by some to mean "extreme epidemic." Imagine the old Drudge Report with the red siren announcing the "Cat 5 Hell-Storm in the Gulf." In some academic circles focusing on Epidemiology, Pandemic just means an Epidemic that has spread geographically to multiple countries.

But then what does Epidemic mean? Some use that to mean a wildly spreading dangerous disease. The more technical definition seems to be a disease for which the number of cases are growing exponentially. That gets into the discussion of the much abused concept of R(t) or the Reproduction rate. Anything over 1.0 is one case resulting in more than one new case.

Ignoring that it is very difficult to estimate R, one thing that adds confusion is that not every situation with R(t) > 1.0 is treated the same. Most Winters, the Flu re-emerges with cases spreading like an Epidemic for a few weeks. It is sometimes referred to as a seasonal epidemic or epidemic transmission. And most years it happens across the hemisphere at the same time. So shouldn't that be a Pandemic? We don't seem to use it that way.

Anyway, I toss all that out to suggest that without a common language it is difficult to communicate.

So, using the more academic definitions one might categorize SARS-CoV2 as a virus that spawned a pandemic. But is saying that useful in assessing the danger of the virus and the resulting disease or what we should do about it?

Funny thing was, we always seemed to get several "Cat 5 Hell-Storm" headline false alarms for every really bad landfalling storm. Perhaps this can be a pandemic in one sense while a strong case can also be made to deride the wailing "Pandemic from Hell" headlines and the policies evoked in response.

YMMV, and I doubt parsing definitions makes anyone happy. :-)
I claim no expertise in Epidemiology. Others may want to present alternative ideas.
BiochemAg97
AG
plain_o_llama said:

So is this a "pandemic?"

For instance, Pandemic is used by some to mean "extreme epidemic." Imagine the old Drudge Report with the red siren announcing the "Cat 5 Hell-Storm in the Gulf." In some academic circles focusing on Epidemiology, Pandemic just means an Epidemic that has spread geographically to multiple countries.

this is what frustrated me in March with the WHO insisting this wasn't a pandemic. There were already cases on every continent except Antarctica (for obvious reasons) with documented community spread in several countries, yet the WHO insisted it wasn't a pandemic until a several weeks later.
plain_o_llama
Dallas County posted their updated summary. Here are a few plots from the report.

https://www.dallascounty.org/Assets/uploads/docs/covid-19/hhs-summary/COVID-19-DCHHS-Summary-100620.pdf

GAC06
AG
Back to the levels of the beginning of a mild flu season
80sGeorge
AG
... except bars still can't open
Aust Ag
AG
How's the state doing at "flattening the curve"? Isn't this was it was all about anyway?
ExpressAg11
AG
That, and it was about not overrunning hospitals. Now that we've flattened the curve and hospitals are fine it seems to be "no cases at all before we can open back up".
Fitch
AG
Please be sure to let the UK know that.
GAC06
AG
UK 7 day average is 63 deaths per day in a country of 68 million. Scary stuff
culdeus
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

plain_o_llama said:

So is this a "pandemic?"

this is what frustrated me in March with the WHO insisting this wasn't a pandemic. There were already cases on every continent except Antarctica (for obvious reasons) with documented community spread in several countries, yet the WHO insisted it wasn't a pandemic until a several weeks later.

There are reasons they did this. There were disaster bonds tied to the declaration

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.