Daily Charts

564,930 Views | 2786 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AggieUSMC
Keegan99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Best theory I've seen is that widespread exposure to 2003 SARS confers a higher degree of protection in the population. Only thing that is really consistent across all of those countries. Lots of different policies (SK? Lots of testing and tracing! Japan? Almost no testing and tracing!), but comparable outcomes.
deadbq03
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Keegan99 said:

There's a seasonality and latitude component. Los Angeles, Phoenix, Houston, Jacksonville. All on I-10.

All with remarkably concurrent curves.

While not fully understood, the effect of latitude on seasonality of viruses was observed by Hope-Simpson decades ago.

The singular conceit through all of this is the belief that mankind has some great control. I do believe we can make it worse (see: NY and NJ) and perhaps slow it a bit, but we can't really shut it down once it's established in a community. The virus is going to do its thing.
Why is Asia so different? Never really established, they got a hold of it early enough where man did have some control? It's a weird anomaly to me.
It's absolutely due to their early response. Cultures with high levels of conformity, most of whom were already used to wearing masks due to living in heavily polluted urban areas and/or due to experience dealing with bird flu, etc.

Funny that warm latitudes are somehow getting equated with virus prevalence. This thing was supposed to be dead when things warmed up in April...
Complete Idiot
Well, that was one prediction I had that hasn't proven true - this coronavirus was highly seasonal like other known coronaviruses and would therefore dissipate in June. I had seen a study that all other known coronaviruses peak Dec - Mar in America, and largely go away after May. This one seems different, maybe just because it is novel and therefore doesn't follow the patterns of established viruses. Or maybe it's just different enough genetically.
goodAg80
AG
If the 20% herd immunity holds, it probably points to things like natural immunity, acquired immunity from other viruses, natural resistance to acquiring it, asymptomatic ability to fight the virus or some factor a person has that reduces the spread. I believe that the mitigation (e.g. masks) people are doing is suppressing the spread as well.
Keegan99
AG
Here is what Hope Simpson observed.

Bruce Almighty
AG
Great, so December and January are gonna be worse than spring / summer.
Keegan99
AG

Virus gonna virus.
CompEvoBio94
The 2002-2004 SARS outbreak is thought to have infected fewer than 9000 people. So, it seems unlikely to me that there is widespread cross-immunity from that. I do think that the scary nature of that outbreak (~10% mortality) helped many governments in East Asia take public health very seriously. It's true that South Korea's approach to contact tracing is quite different from Japan's "cluster-busting" strategy. But I think that just means there are multiple successful ways to control this epidemic - as long as you have decent government w/ good public health infrastructure.

wrt the idea that 20% might be close to the herd immunity threshold: I'd love that to be the case (one of my kids is moving to NYC very soon). But it seems hard to square with very high seroprevalence in some parts of Lombardy, or this new estimate of 71% seroprevalence in Iquitos, Peru ( ). Epidemiologists expect some "overshoot" of the herd immunity threshold in conditions of fast spread, but 71% seems very high if the threshold is in the 20% range.
deadbq03
AG
Keegan99 said:

Virus gonna virus.
It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that Covid could behave completely oppositely from the seasonality of other coronaviruses and the flu, but that's a really bold leap at this juncture.

There are states further north that are seeing a second wave (e.g. Wisconsin, Iowa) and also ones that still haven't yet confirmed a first peak... they've been a slow ramp upward (Ohio, Tennessee).

There are countries in the south (Australia, New Zealand) that are done with it. While it's true they had the luxury of geographic isolation, they also committed early to stopping Covid. Just like East Asian countries above and below the equator did.

This is about attitude, not latitude.
Keegan99
AG

Clearly there's a level of pre-existing immunity in some populations.

That immunity prevalence almost certainly varies quite a bit, and would likely only be moderate in many instances, which would introduce the possibility that intense exposures could still result in antibody production?
goodAg80
AG

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us
culdeus
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Cyp0111 said:

You mean the one that was more than 100 years ago and previous ones that did not have near the level of global interconnects.

Well, there have been many pandemics. Late 50's, late 60'a, 2009 - they did all end. However , each is unique of course and while likely to end at some point there are no guarantees - and can be painful to get there.

One pandemic has been going on almost 40 years - HIV/AIDS, so not every other pandemic has ended.
I mean some flu strains that end up in the flu shot today are still quite deadly. H3N2 being one of them. AFAIK they occasionally put in what is known as the Hong Kong flu in the shot every so often.

It is entirely plausible COV19 is with us for 40 years as well. Although not in the same way as HIV, obviously.
goodAg80
AG
For good news, the state that got hit the hardest is looking reasonably good.

The latest day had only 18 deaths. The peak day was 1025.
Complete Idiot
It's worth noting it's not just the state hit the hardest, the NYC area is the hardest hit area in the world (as measured by deaths per million in population). Of course this is assuming data is reported accurately from all world areas, but Worldometers shows NYC area as the highest deaths per million in the world.

It's hard to understand why.
agforlife97
AG
Complete Idiot said:

It's worth noting it's not just the state hit the hardest, the NYC area is the hardest hit area in the world (as measured by deaths per million in population). Of course this is assuming data is reported accurately from all world areas, but Worldometers shows NYC area as the highest deaths per million in the world.

It's hard to understand why.

Manhattan is probably a big reason. 2 million people commute in and out 5 days per week.
Complete Idiot
Certainly thats notable but I don't know if it's unique among the largest cities in the world. NYC isn't even a top 10 largest city at the moment (per wiki anyway).

Maybe its a combination of the population, and transient population as you noted, plus the fact it got in there real bad before the rest of the major cities and before lock downs in the other huge cities. It's probably dumb, but I feel a bit embarrassed a US city has the highest death rate in the world - I thought our practices and health care system would have made that impossible.
Keegan99
AG
Beat40
Complete Idiot said:

Certainly thats notable but I don't know if it's unique among the largest cities in the world. NYC isn't even a top 10 largest city at the moment (per wiki anyway).

Maybe its a combination of the population, and transient population as you noted, plus the fact it got in there real bad before the rest of the major cities and before lock downs in the other huge cities. It's probably dumb, but I feel a bit embarrassed a US city has the highest death rate in the world - I thought our practices and health care system would have made that impossible.

We also didn't barricade people into their homes, block roads with dirt so people couldn't leave the city, or restrict people by having only one person going outside for only 1-2 hours a day for the sole purpose of getting groceries.
Complete Idiot
NYC stats do show 90% of those who passed had a comorbidity, it's possible NYC is just unhealthier than average as well?

Or course people also accused NYC of lying about the numbers as well, so who knows.
buffalo chip
S
Keegan99 said:

Here is what Hope Simpson observed.

Both sides of the equator look similar...check.

What is up with the disparity of virus prevalence in the N30+ and S30+ hemispheres? ...seems wrong.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Northern/Southern Hemisphere summers are opposite months?
Keegan99
AG
Could be an artifact of the very analog era when the data was collected and the populace in that range globally.

Beat40
Complete Idiot said:

NYC stats do show 90% of those who passed had a comorbidity, it's possible NYC is just unhealthier than average as well?

Or course people also accused NYC of lying about the numbers as well, so who knows.

So, I also think NYC's issue was putting sick patients back in nursing homes. Just looking at NYC Health's webpage, the deaths per 100,000 is over 1,500/100K for the age group 76+. The next lowest is the 65-74 age group at 600/100K. Almost 3X as much in the 75+ age group - hard to imagine sending sick patients back into nursing homes didn't play a role in those numbers.
fightingfarmer09
Beat40 said:

Complete Idiot said:

So, I also think NYC's issue was putting sick patients back in nursing homes. Just looking at NYC Health's webpage, the deaths per 100,000 is over 1,500/100K for the age group 76+. The next lowest is the 65-74 age group at 600/100K. Almost 3X as much in the 75+ age group - hard to imagine sending sick patients back into nursing homes didn't play a role in those numbers.

reb,
AG
This is alarming. I put Harris side-by-side with Hidalgo county here.

Note the differences in the Y-axis intervals. Much loser cases, much higher death counts. Their % death rate has got to be really really bad and its probably the reason why the cumulative death rate in Texas has been flat at 1.2% for the past week, when it had been dropping daily for over a month.

https://tabexternal.dshs.texas.gov/t/THD/views/COVIDExternalQC/COVIDTrends

BiochemAg97
AG
deadbq03 said:

Keegan99 said:

Virus gonna virus.
It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that Covid could behave completely oppositely from the seasonality of other coronaviruses and the flu, but that's a really bold leap at this juncture.

There are states further north that are seeing a second wave (e.g. Wisconsin, Iowa) and also ones that still haven't yet confirmed a first peak... they've been a slow ramp upward (Ohio, Tennessee).

There are countries in the south (Australia, New Zealand) that are done with it. While it's true they had the luxury of geographic isolation, they also committed early to stopping Covid. Just like East Asian countries above and below the equator did.

This is about attitude, not latitude.
Australia isn't done with it. They too are in the middle of a second wave.
DadHammer
AG
goodAg80 said:

If the 20% herd immunity holds, it probably points to things like natural immunity, acquired immunity from other viruses, natural resistance to acquiring it, asymptomatic ability to fight the virus or some factor a person has that reduces the spread. I believe that the mitigation (e.g. masks) people are doing is suppressing the spread as well.

Good post
DadHammer
AG
Very similar 12-14 week burn out in most hard hit cities and countries. Houston will see the same big drop off by the end of August, IMO.
Cepe
AG
I also believe NYC spread it throughout the country. I know of two families myself that split town and went to Georgia and Jacksonville, Fl. . . .
Cepe - its pronounced "Ceep" and stands for my initials - CP.
RandyAg98
AG
This is really not that hard to figure out. For any geographical area, you see very few cases at first. Then at some point the virus gets to enough people you see exponential spread, a spike in positive cases, and then a spike in hospitalizations, then a spike in deaths...all lagging the former by about 1-2 weeks. Followed by a peak of these things lagging the former by 1-2 weeks, followed by a gradual tapering off down to almost zero.

It has followed this pattern in literally every circumstance and every geographical region. The only difference is WHEN the virus starts spreading rapidly. This lends credence to the Herd Immunity Threshold ~20%. The virus fizzles out predictably. The biggest variables that alter the height of the peak:

1. Situations like NY where Senior Facilities were literally seeded with positive patients, followed by a very dense population allowing higher-than-normal community spread

2. No two entities reporting the statistics in the same way, both relative to other cities/counties, states/countries, but, in many cases, not even the same way as themselves compared to a week or a month, or three months ago.

Places like Texas, that "locked down" well before the virus really took hold, see rises once things open to some extent. It is inevitable. We can debate whether that was the right thing to do, but I think it is clear we are more capable of handling a spike now than we would have been April 1, for myriad reasons.

Why we don't have leadership that can see this pattern is beyond me.
aginlakeway
AG
RandyAg98 said:

This is really not that hard to figure out. For any geographical area, you see very few cases at first. Then at some point the virus gets to enough people you see exponential spread, a spike in positive cases, and then a spike in hospitalizations, then a spike in deaths...all lagging the former by about 1-2 weeks. Followed by a peak of these things lagging the former by 1-2 weeks, followed by a gradual tapering off down to almost zero.

It has followed this pattern in literally every circumstance and every geographical region. The only difference is WHEN the virus starts spreading rapidly. This lends credence to the Herd Immunity Threshold ~20%. The virus fizzles out predictably. The biggest variables that alter the height of the peak:

1. Situations like NY where Senior Facilities were literally seeded with positive patients, followed by a very dense population allowing higher-than-normal community spread

2. No two entities reporting the statistics in the same way, both relative to other cities/counties, states/countries, but, in many cases, not even the same way as themselves compared to a week or a month, or three months ago.

Places like Texas, that "locked down" well before the virus really took hold, see rises once things open to some extent. It is inevitable. We can debate whether that was the right thing to do, but I think it is clear we are more capable of handling a spike now than we would have been April 1, for myriad reasons.

Why we don't have leadership that can see this pattern is beyond me.
Agree. So what's the solution?
RandyAg98
AG
I don't pretend to know all the answers, but, in my opinion...

Open up everything, using social distancing, masks, reasonable occupancy limits, and other precautions until we are well into the downswing (estimated by me to be 3-4 weeks from now in Houston).

School should be able to start, in person (for those who want or need it), for AT LEAST K-5 grades, with all adults practicing social distancing protocols with each other, but teaching kids normally.

Avoid large gatherings in tight quarters until we reach 50% of the peak hospitalizations.

Continue to take every precaution to protect high-risk individuals.

Then get on with life.
HotardAg07
AG
While I do think that 20% infection rate PLUS other mitigation measures (whether government enforced or not) may be enough to have sustained R_t < 1, it is worth noting that there ARE areas that had >20% infection rate.

In Bergamo, Italy -- one of the first hot spots that was late to shut down after experiencing their outbreak, had 57% of their residents get coronavirus.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-italy-antibodies/over-half-of-people-tested-in-italys-bergamo-have-covid-19-antibodies-idUSKBN23F2JV

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.15.20067074v3

The death rate of the entire population was 0.58%, which means that if 57% of the entire population was infected, then the infection fatality rate is about 1%, which lines up with the calculated IFRs of similar early-breakout locations when treatments were still in their infancy.

That doesn't suggest to me that something like that could happen in the US now, by and large their outbreak happened before people took the virus seriously and they were extremely late to react. They also had the issue of multi generational housing and an older population. They were probably undergoing something close to the true R0 of 2.5 during their outbreak, whereas in the US the places that are "outbreaking" are peaking at R_t of 1.1-1.3.

But, to me it is reasonable evidence that there is not some magical barrier at 20% infection where the virus dies out regardless of what behaviors we pursue. I think we are just seeing that 20% infection of the population, in combination with other behavior changes, testing, tracing, etc. is probably enough to have sustained R_t <1.
RandyAg98
AG
Those more well-versed...is R0 affected by population density, social dynamics, etc. Or is it theoretically a constant for a given pathogen?
KidDoc
AG
RandyAg98 said:

I don't pretend to know all the answers, but, in my opinion...

Open up everything, using social distancing, masks, reasonable occupancy limits, and other precautions until we are well into the downswing (estimated by me to be 3-4 weeks from now in Houston).

School should be able to start, in person (for those who want or need it), for AT LEAST K-5 grades, with all adults practicing social distancing protocols with each other, but teaching kids normally.

Avoid large gatherings in tight quarters until we reach 50% of the peak hospitalizations.

Continue to take every precaution to protect high-risk individuals.

Then get on with life.
I agree with Randy 88- Randy for Governor!

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.