Daily Charts

595,284 Views | 2786 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AggieUSMC
AgsMyDude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
shoutout to Bexar county for dumping 5,501 backlogged cases yesterday

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2020/07/16/bexar-county-reports-thousands-of-backlogged-covid-19-cases-601-new-cases/

DeangeloVickers
AG
Garbage in, garbage out
BiochemAg97
AG
AgsMyDude said:

shoutout to Bexar county for dumping 5,501 backlogged cases yesterday

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2020/07/16/bexar-county-reports-thousands-of-backlogged-covid-19-cases-601-new-cases/

Did they just add back in the 4000 cases the state removed because SA listed them as confirmed but they were really probable?
Fitch
AG
Lots of finger pointing...

https://www.ktsa.com/bexar-county-reports-thousands-of-new-covid-19-cases-part-of-backlog/

Quote:

SAN ANTONIO (KTSA News) San Antonio Metro Health reported 5,501 additional COVID-19 cases in Bexar County at Thursday, but only 691 were from the previous 24 hours. The rest of the new cases were the result of a backlog in getting results from the State.

Dr. Colleen Bridger, assistant city manager and interim director of Metro Health attributes the problem to complications with a new process that involves testing labs sending results to the State of Texas, which then sends them to Metro Health.

"We have worked out the kinks in the reporting process," said Bridger. "The important thing to note is that the backlog did not affect patient notification. All of the patients who tested positive were notified by the lab within three or four days, so this backlog did not affect patients learning their test results."

With the 5,501 additional cases, Bexar County now has 27,047 total cases of COVID-19 since the pandemic began in March.

At the request of the Texas Department of State Health Services, Metro Health has begun to report confirmed and probable COVID-19 cases separately. Of the overall total, 3,867 are probable. Those are positive test results from Antigen tests, which are considered "probable," as opposed to positive test results from PCR tests, which are considered "confirmed." The CDC includes both in its reporting of COVID-19 cases, but the State does not. This week, the State removed more than 3,400 cases reported by San Antonio Metro Health from its COVID-19 tally because it does not report probable cases.

"Probable cases do not mean 'maybe' cases of COVID-19. Antigen tests are FDA approved, and positive tests are highly accurate," said Bridger.

Mayor Ron Nirenberg told reporters at Thursday's briefing that those people have COVID-19 and they should be counted.

"If you have tested positive in the city of San Antonio through an antigen test or a PCR test, you have COVID. You should be counted," Nirenberg said.

Some people accuse city officials of trying to inflate the numbers by reporting the probable cases, but Nirenberg thinks it's the other way around.

"The fact that we have some people at the state and federal level who are questioning whether or not we should count that test (antigen) makes it seem like some people at the state and federal level are trying to suppress just how bad this COVID pandemic is," the mayor said.
Not a Bot
AG
Sorry, forgot about this thread before starting a new one. It looks like TMC is slowly tapering down the new Covid hospitalizations. It looks like they may not have to go to phase 3 surge capacity.

HotardAg07
AG
That has been very encouraging. I've been keeping an eye on the increasing daily cases and positive test rate. I was happy when it went down but that seems to have reversed itself.

BiochemAg97
AG
Some of the increased positivity in testing may be from less testing. If they continue to test as many of the most likely to have it (symptoms) and test less of the "I saw someone cough so I need to be tested" you miss some of the negatives your would have had.

I see the testing numbers go do as the positivity goes up.

Would be good to know why the testing went down.

Still want to see it go down more and not at all dismissing the positivity rate increasing just because tests went down.
BowSowy
AG
I imagine the increase in cases is due to July 4th shenanigans. But yes, not the most encouraging sign.
Not a Bot
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

Some of the increased positivity in testing may be from less testing. If they continue to test as many of the most likely to have it (symptoms) and test less of the "I saw someone cough so I need to be tested" you miss some of the negatives your would have had.

I see the testing numbers go do as the positivity goes up.

Would be good to know why the testing went down.

Still want to see it go down more and not at all dismissing the positivity rate increasing just because tests went down.

Maybe also more targeted testing of close contacts of positive cases. More likelihood of a positive result.

Have to think when the re-outbreak emerged a few weeks ago a whole bunch of people were out getting tested just to be safe.
RandyAg98
AG
Again, new case numbers are not reliable. You should pay attention to hospitalizations and deaths.

This is encouraging.

cone
AG
I'm worried that we're giving away our gains tho
goodAg80
AG
I think we have about a 2 week lag between cases and deaths. I annotated the charts with that in mind.

I did this for my own curiosity and I am not trying to stir up arguments. I will absolutely revise this if the actual results are different than I am assuming.

Fitch
AG
I'm hopeful the hospitalization counts will continue to stabilize or decrease, but there is a concern that we're seeing a lull and another increase is a week or so out provided the recent uptick in daily reported cases.

The daily cases isn't a great data point because of the high variability in testing/reporting lags, but if the back-dated epidemic curve continues to swing up over the next few days that may be a bellwether for next week. Hopefully it bucks the trend and the recent uptick is just lagged testing data coming in from before July 4th.

cone
AG
and just think: Labor Day is around the corner

this won't ever stop
HotardAg07
AG
All of the graphs on the TMC website, in addition to the deaths reported, can be reviewed in its entirety and put in the proper context. I am happy to see hospitalizations reducing while keeping an eye on the increasing case counts and positive test rate as a potential leading indicator for issues in the future.

In fact, when the trends of the different data sources do not line up, it can reveal some truths about the nature of the data and the underlying trends in the community.
Fitch
AG
Very well said.

There's a divergence in the trends starting around July 4th that may sustain, or reverse course (hopefully not). Either way will be informative for what might be expected in August and the start of fall.
Aust Ag
AG
cone said:

this won't ever stop
Going to be really hard to keep people from seeing older relatives during the holidays.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
cone said:

this won't ever stop
Yes it will. It will run its course, just like viruses do. Just like every previous pandemic has done.
DadHammer
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

cone said:

this won't ever stop
Yes it will. It will run its course, just like viruses do. Just like every previous pandemic has done.

Keegan99
AG
If you want to see cases and fatalities diverge, Georgia is a nice example.

From https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report

[url=https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report][/url]

Cyp0111
You mean the one that was more than 100 years ago and previous ones that did not have near the level of global interconnects.
Complete Idiot
Cyp0111 said:

You mean the one that was more than 100 years ago and previous ones that did not have near the level of global interconnects.

Well, there have been many pandemics. Late 50's, late 60'a, 2009 - they did all end. However , each is unique of course and while likely to end at some point there are no guarantees - and can be painful to get there.

One pandemic has been going on almost 40 years - HIV/AIDS, so not every other pandemic has ended.
DadHammer
AG
You know , all you have to do is look at the charts for Europe and you will see it pretty much has ended.
Gordo14
DadHammer said:

You know , all you have to do is look at the charts for Europe and you will see it pretty much has ended.

After shut downs, contact tracing & isolation, mask wearing etc. The current state of the virus can change very quickly. France has had a few regional spikes and have mandated mask wearing. It didn't just disappear and their lives went back to normal as many on here are implying. The rate of transmission is changing constantly as immunity, weather conditions, social mobility, personal protective measures change. There's a reason they are cautious and nervous and it's not because they think it's over. But they are in a relatively good place now - a much better place than we are.
Keegan99
AG

Quote:

After shut downs, contact tracing & isolation, mask wearing etc.

Sweden did all of those things? Link?
AgsMyDude
AG
Metro Areas of TX continue to slow down in terms of hospitalizations

RGV now accounts for 14.3% of TX's hospitalizations which is significant and more than the San Antonio area.

74Ag1
AG
Houston area positivity on right Track

Aust Ag
AG
Whoa, those Austin numbers. Where was the "spike"? The mayor was getting the Convention Center ready because of this?
Keegan99
AG
Travis County Population - 1.3 Million

Travis County Detected Infections - 17k (~1.3% of population)

Harris County Population - 4.7 Million

Harris County Detected Infections - 57k (~1.2% of population)

Both are peaking when a little more than 1% of their population has a detected infection.

This projects to somewhere in the neighborhood of 10% of the population actually being infected. Which is right about where one would expect a peak for burnout at about 20% of the population.

Complete Idiot
Keegan99 said:

Both are peaking when a little more than 1% of their population has a detected infection.

This projects to somewhere in the neighborhood of 10% of the population actually being infected. Which is right about where one would expect a peak for burnout at about 20% of the population.

I'd like to buy all that - the estimates of actual positives calculated from confirmed positives, it's peaking at 10%, the burnout is 20% - I really would. And it may be close to accurate. But with mask orders, bars closing again, people not back to work or school, probably 30% of people who have almost made it impossible for themselves to get any illness because they never go anywhere - it's hard to point to any one thing when a peak or decline happens. Someone else could make time since the July 4th holiday, or time since mask order, or time since bars closing the cause by saying "see, it's 2 weeks later" and it would be hard to refute since these are guesses.

If we hadn't changed behavior at all and watched the rise, peak, and decline in fully opened/unregulated societies that would seem more clear cut to me. Hard to explain low and flat rates in TX march to June, then the big rise after some relaxing of rules and people getting tired of getting cooped up, then a flattening after some rules reimplemented as solely due to the virus's r0 and burnout rates.

I say all that when I secretly want to believe the 20% thing. I've also guesstimated the actual cases as maybe 10x confirmed. But my fear is it's wishful thinking.
KidDoc
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Keegan99 said:

I'd like to buy all that - the estimates of actual positives calculated from confirmed positives, it's peaking at 10%, the burnout is 20% - I really would. And it may be close to accurate. But with mask orders, bars closing again, people not back to work or school, probably 30% of people who have almost made it impossible for themselves to get any illness because they never go anywhere - it's hard to point to any one thing when a peak or decline happens. Someone else could make time since the July 4th holiday, or time since mask order, or time since bars closing the cause by saying "see, it's 2 weeks later" and it would be hard to refute since these are guesses.

If we hadn't changed behavior at all and watched the rise, peak, and decline in fully opened/unregulated societies that would seem more clear cut to me. Hard to explain low and flat rates in TX march to June, then the big rise after some relaxing of rules and people getting tired of getting cooped up, then a flattening after some rules reimplemented as solely due to the virus's r0 and burnout rates.

I say all that when I secretly want to believe the 20% thing. I've also guesstimated the actual cases as maybe 10x confirmed. But my fear is it's wishful thinking.
The numbers from every region world-wide over the last 7 months seem to really support the 20% threshold for essentially extinguishing this pathogen.

Several questions arise from this:
1) Why?- Likely genetic factors of the patients. Receptor subtypes, blood type, pre-existing conditions, etc. Seems like this virus is awful for a small percentage of the population and generally harmless to the rest.

2) For how long?- will it go away forever? return to those regions in 3 months, 6 months, a year? No telling right now although Wuhan is still doing well 7 months later.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DadHammer
AG
Good post.
Keegan99
AG
There's a seasonality and latitude component. Los Angeles, Phoenix, Houston, Jacksonville. All on I-10.

All with remarkably concurrent curves.

While not fully understood, the effect of latitude on seasonality of viruses was observed by Hope-Simpson decades ago.

The singular conceit through all of this is the belief that mankind has some great control. I do believe we can make it worse (see: NY and NJ) and perhaps slow it a bit, but we can't really shut it down once it's established in a community. The virus is going to do its thing.
Complete Idiot
KidDoc said:

Complete Idiot said:

Keegan99 said:

The numbers from every region world-wide over the last 7 months seem to really support the 20% threshold for essentially extinguishing this pathogen.

I mean, I agree - I first thought that after that NYC antibody test came out showing ~20% of those studied had antibodies and their new case rate had dramatically dropped off already. But I also fear we aren't studying a system with only one variable - the virus - introduced. Lots of behavorial and societal changes. If masks don't help at all, and if you can get it easily even if staying home all the time, then my concerns are invalid and the virus "will do what it's gonna do". I'm probably just protecting myself a bit because some thoughts I had back in March and April didn't prove out and things seemed to get worse, not better. So I'm worried 20% is wishful thinking - and with Texas sitting at estimated 10% having been infected (confirmedX10/tx population) I want to think we're coming out of this and my kids can attend school at the earliest possible date.
Complete Idiot
Keegan99 said:

There's a seasonality and latitude component. Los Angeles, Phoenix, Houston, Jacksonville. All on I-10.

All with remarkably concurrent curves.

While not fully understood, the effect of latitude on seasonality of viruses was observed by Hope-Simpson decades ago.

The singular conceit through all of this is the belief that mankind has some great control. I do believe we can make it worse (see: NY and NJ) and perhaps slow it a bit, but we can't really shut it down once it's established in a community. The virus is going to do its thing.
Why is Asia so different? Never really established, they got a hold of it early enough where man did have some control? It's a weird anomaly to me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.