Daily Charts

563,288 Views | 2786 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AggieUSMC
Coates
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What percentage of the elderly have the booster? Seems like it may be too late to get one now as Omicron has been a sharp rise and fall.

Nearly everyone I know has gotten Omicron in the last month, natural booster!
Old Buffalo
AG
Quote:

Booster is even more effective against omicron

LMAO, the n was 25 for 3rd shots. Total n was 345.

I can come up with 25 boosted people I know that have caught covid in the last 2 weeks.
PJYoung
AG
Yeah I wasn't clear at all.

the booster is very effective in reducing serious illness from omicron. Especially so.

And yes, it reduces transmission as well along with reducing the amount of time you are sick which is important in stopping variants from spawning.
PJYoung
AG
PJYoung
AG
Old Buffalo
AG
PJYoung said:

the booster is very effective in reducing serious illness from omicron. Especially so.

And yes, it reduces transmission as well along with reducing the amount of time you are sick which is important in stopping variants from spawning.

Quote:

JERUSALEM, Jan 17 (Reuters) - A fourth shot of COVID-19 vaccine boosts antibodies to even higher levels than the third jab but it is not enough to prevent Omicron infections, according to a preliminary study in Israel.

PJYoung
AG
Old Buffalo said:

PJYoung said:

Quote:

JERUSALEM, Jan 17 (Reuters) - A fourth shot of COVID-19 vaccine boosts antibodies to even higher levels than the third jab but it is not enough to prevent Omicron infections, according to a preliminary study in Israel.

The vaccines do not prevent spread. It doesn't mean that it doesn't reduce spread.

It absolutely does that.
amercer
AG
I think this point gets increasingly lost now, but you can't spread what you don't have. If if the vaccines are only 40% against catching Omicron, that's 40% that can't spread it.

Not sure it matters much at this point since the vaccines are still so good at preventing severe illness.
amercer
AG
We'll the polio vaccine actually occasionally gave people polio.

And it was still a medical miracle. Amazing how far we've come.
cone
AG
variants are inevitable and endless right?

how could you possibly vaccinate yourself out of that feature of endemicity?
Fitch
AG
Enter the pan-coronavirus vaccine.
PJYoung
AG
agsalaska
AG
cone said:

variants are inevitable and endless right?

how could you possibly vaccinate yourself out of that feature of endemicity?
Seems to me that for most of us getting the initial vaccine was smart. But that cannot go on forever. Eventually we need to develop natural immunities to it like we have for every other corona virus. I can see a point where vaccinations are a net negative in the long run, especially in younger populations. In fact we are probably past that point now.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Old Buffalo
AG
agsalaska said:

I can see a point where vaccinations are a net negative in the long run, especially in younger populations. In fact we are probably past that point now.
JamesE4
AG
question for the experts:

reported deaths due to Covid are on the rise - the latest data from Worldometers shows this.

Of course, cases have spiked by a much higher amount, due to Omicron.

We have heard that omicron is much less deadly than delta, yet deaths appear to be rising.

Is this:

1 - omicron really killing people
2 - people that were going to die from something at this time anyway, but caught omicron right before they died and therefore reported as a covid death
3 - people dying from delta

BTW, I had covid a few weeks ago, got prescribed paxlovid, and recovered one day later. Symptoms were fever, chills, night sweats and extreme fatigue.

2wealfth Man
AG
JamesE4 said:

reported deaths due to Covid are on the rise - the latest data from Worldometers shows this.

We have heard that omicron is much less deadly than delta, yet deaths appear to be rising.

Is this:

2 - people that were going to die from something at this time anyway, but caught omicron right before they died and therefore reported as a covid death

BTW, I had covid a few weeks ago, got prescribed paxlovid, and recovered one day later. Symptoms were fever, chills, night sweats and extreme fatigue.

Delta is practically non-existent anymore; it has been run out of town by Omicron. There maybe some residual cases still in hospitals however.

I am guessing practically all is Omicron in (1) non-vaccinated (personal choice), (2) people with co-morbidities (diabetes, for example) and/or complicating factors (had a cold when catching COVID) or (3) persons testing incidental COVID positive when entering hospital (i.e. something else caused hospitalization; like an accident but was marked as COVID)
98Ag99Grad
AG
Omicron infects a lot more people so just by the numbers there's a better chance more people die. That's my guess.
ramblin_ag02
AG
JamesE4 said:

Is this:

Biggest thing going on here is just the huge numbers of people getting infected at the same time. Alpha and delta both did a sort of regional march, where one area would get hit badly then die down while the next was rising. So Florida and Texas got hit last August, Idaho in Sept and the Northeast in November. Omicron is hitting everyone at once. People are still dying from it, just at a much lower rate than with delta and alpha. But lower percentage still works out to a pretty big number when so many people are infected at once.

On the plus side, DFW is looking much better this weekend. ERs were down below normal volume for first time in 6 months according to the people I know working there. They were sending staff home due to lack of patients
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
JamesE4
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

JamesE4 said:

Is this:

Biggest thing going on here is just the huge numbers of people getting infected at the same time. Alpha and delta both did a sort of regional march, where one area would get hit badly then die down while the next was rising. So Florida and Texas got hit last August, Idaho in Sept and the Northeast in November. Omicron is hitting everyone at once. People are still dying from it, just at a much lower rate than with delta and alpha. But lower percentage still works out to a pretty big number when so many people are infected at once.

On the plus side, DFW is looking much better this weekend. ERs were down below normal volume for first time in 6 months according to the people I know working there. They were sending staff home due to lack of patients
thanks for the responses - I appreciate it.
Not a Bot
AG
I've worked with Covid patients during every wave of this thing and omicron is making some people sick, but I've had ZERO Covid-related code blues on my floor during this wave.

Delta was hell. We were sending people to ICU and/or coding people on my stepdown floor almost every shift.

The majority of people we are treating for Covid right now have multiple issues keeping them in the hospital. With Delta, it was primarily Covid symptoms. Seeing a lot more incidental positives this time around.
PJYoung
AG
Boston

AggieUSMC
AG
Quote:

I've worked with Covid patients during every wave of this thing and omicron is making some people sick, but I've had ZERO Covid-related code blues on my floor during this wave.

Delta was hell. We were sending people to ICU and/or coding people on my stepdown floor almost every shift.

The majority of people we are treating for Covid right now have multiple issues keeping them in the hospital. With Delta, it was primarily Covid symptoms. Seeing a lot more incidental positives this time around.
Same for me and my hospital

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.