Daily Charts

595,263 Views | 2786 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AggieUSMC
Fitch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Vaccines work.
PJYoung
AG
PJYoung said:

Quote:

The flood of COVID-19 patients newly admitted to Florida hospitals is now far worse than at any point during its winter surge.

From looking at the raw #s and comparing them to last week it seems like Florida's hospital numbers are improving*. Maybe we will see a peak here soon.

*By improving I mean the rate of growth is slowing.

gougler08
AG
Rt under 1 for Florida as of yesterday, should start to see the drop in coming days

cone
AG
problem being the hospitalization tail might takes weeks still to resolve

cases may collapse tomorrow but it's already too late
gougler08
AG
cone said:

Obviously deaths lag too (and I assume the last couple of days still need to be fully calculated), but it hasn't been an issue yet

PJYoung
AG
gougler08 said:

cone said:

Obviously deaths lag too (and I assume the last couple of days still need to be fully calculated), but it hasn't been an issue yet

Yeah looking at that I'm afraid they might rival the previous peaks.

I didn't expect that because this time the population is so much younger.
Fitch
AG
My uninformed guess is you're seeing discharges and deaths start to net out new intakes. Takes about 2-3 weeks for severe cases to resolve.

But I base that on nothing other than the constant slope of the new case growth and a hunch, so big grain of salt...
gougler08
AG
PJYoung said:

gougler08 said:

cone said:

Yeah looking at that I'm afraid they might rival the previous peaks.

I didn't expect that because this time the population is so much younger.
Looks like deaths peak 2-3 weeks after cases, so not sure that we have the same steep slope as the last couple times, but may get higher than we'd all like
80sGeorge
AG
Hospital population isn't broken down vax vs not vaxed

Too early to predict deaths off past info I would think.
PJYoung
AG
80sGeorge said:

Hospital population isn't broken down vax vs not vaxed

Ask any doctor that works in a hospital?

It's been running at roughly 95% unvaxxed in the hospital but that will vary depending on what % of the population is vaccinated.

i.e. if 100% of the population is vaxxed then 100% of the hospital population would be vaxxed.

The vaccines are more than doing their job.
80sGeorge
AG
Oh I hear ya. Just hoping their situation is better than previous.

Found this info from Naples Hospitals. Hopefully the 16% vaxed results in better outcomes overall.

Between both of NCH's hospitals:
The COVID positivity rate for the last 7 days for Collier County is 19.2%.
The COVID positivity rate for the last 7 days at NCH is 21.1%.
NCH is currently caring for a total of 512 patients between our two hospitals.
Of that number, we are caring for 166 patients have tested positive for COVID.
Of that number, 140 patients, or approximately 84%, are unvaccinated.
Of that number, 40 patients are in the ICU.
Of that number, 24 patients are on vents.
Patient ages range from 15-98 with a median age of 60.
There are 3 pediatric patients
NCH has 31 employees who tested positive for COVID and/or isolated due to family or community related exposure. Between both of NCH's hospitals:
NCH has 31 employees who tested positive for COVID and/or isolated due to family or community related exposure.
PJYoung
AG
Ah I understand - more vaxxed in hospitals = less covid deaths.
PJYoung
AG
B-1 83
AG
80sGeorge said:

Oh I hear ya. Just hoping their situation is better than previous.

Found this info from Naples Hospitals. Hopefully the 16% vaxed results in better outcomes overall.

Between both of NCH's hospitals:
NCH has 31 employees who tested positive for COVID and/or isolated due to family or community related exposure. Between both of NCH's hospitals:
NCH has 31 employees who tested positive for COVID and/or isolated due to family or community related exposure.

Why is there never any reports/statistics of co-morbidities in ICU cases?
Fitch
AG
Statewide Trends

Regional Trends

Hospital Regions

Joe Boudain
Why is our hospital/ICU census so high but fatalities so low, relatively?

Are our therapeutics that much better than they were at the beginning?

It just seems odd that the hospitals are all busting at the seams (which I believe), but our fatalities are a fraction of what they were when our hospitals were less full.
Fitch
AG
Just spit balling, but probably a combination of better therapeutics and higher vaccination rates among the (previously) higher fatality-prone age cohorts. Even with break through infections vaccinations remain incredibly resilient in preventing serious disease courses.

That and deaths are a trailing metric. If you have one person that takes a test and it comes back positive, then that person eventually becomes a fatality statistic, it takes about 5 weeks(ish) for that whole process to unfurl. The fatality charts are retroactively updated so the curve at the tail end is always lower than the "actual" total... That said, I'm hopeful the fatalities curves will be a fraction of what they were previously even though the peak of this wave appears to be trending as high or higher than prior ones.
Joe Boudain
Fitch said:

Just spit balling, but probably a combination of better therapeutics and higher vaccination rates among the (previously) higher fatality-prone age cohorts. Even with break through infections vaccinations remain incredibly resilient in preventing serious disease courses.

That and deaths are a trailing metric. If you have one person that takes a test and it comes back positive, then that person eventually becomes a fatality statistic, it takes about 5 weeks(ish) for that whole process to unfurl. The fatality charts are retroactively updated so the curve at the tail end is always lower than the "actual" total... That said, I'm hopeful the fatalities curves will be a fraction of what they were previously even though the peak of this wave appears to be trending as high or higher than prior ones.

Is there any reason to think that they're keeping people in the hospital now that they would have sent home a year or more ago? I remember early on docs saying that if they could sat over 92% on room oxygen, they'd write them a scrip for o2 and send them on, I wonder if they're still doing that.

It would just seem that with such a large portion of the population vaccinated or with antibodies, there wouldn't be that much of a population to need hospitalization even if they caught it.
Fitch
AG
I'd be speculating at best on that. Maybe some docs in the field could weigh in.
Old Buffalo
AG

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
PJYoung
AG
Joe Boudain said:

Fitch said:

Is there any reason to think that they're keeping people in the hospital now that they would have sent home a year or more ago? I remember early on docs saying that if they could sat over 92% on room oxygen, they'd write them a scrip for o2 and send them on, I wonder if they're still doing that.

It would just seem that with such a large portion of the population vaccinated or with antibodies, there wouldn't be that much of a population to need hospitalization even if they caught it.

Just anecdotally speaking, one of our employee's has a husband who spent like 4 days in the hospital with covid and they sent him home last week - on oxygen.

So yes, I think it's still happening. Probably not as often as it happened when hospitalizations were at their peak last year.
PJYoung
AG
Not a Bot
AG
The hospitalized populations are trending younger. There's less risk of death, but a lot of these people are lingering in the hospital for a long time. We have patients having trouble weaning off of high flow oxygen and are staying for weeks. We don't have great capacity to ship them out to places for rehab so they stay and take up bed space. The length of stay issue is really the biggest factor in my opinion.

That being said, if someone is getting better and stable on a nasal cannula, they are being sent home with home oxygen.
Not a Bot
AG
PJYoung said:

This is Florida's biggest outbreak. They didn't have much of a winter surge. Of course their numbers are going to look worse compared to the winter.
Fitch
AG
It's remarkable, though, that the 65+ population in Florida is over 81% fully vaccinated, and 94% had at least one vaccine and the curve looks that way.

That the fatalities are trending higher when the age cohort that represented 75-80% of the overall deaths is so highly vaccinated leads one to surmise the fatalities are trending younger, unless you care to believe the vaccines are just having no effect in preventing serious disease course... which sort of is verifiably not the case.
Joe Boudain
Makes sense to me. Thank you
PJYoung
AG
PJYoung
AG
gougler08
AG
PJYoung said:

Seems the peak is in for FL hospitalizations, but it did get way worse than I expected
PJYoung
AG
gougler08 said:

PJYoung said:

Seems the peak is in for FL hospitalizations, but it did get way worse than I expected

Yeah I think they are very near the peak or past it depending on what the new school year does.

EDIT: and yeah with the younger cohort I'm shocked it got so much worse than last summer.
cone
AG
this **** is everywhere
AggieFactor
AG
Shouldn't be too surprising. This chart simply states that there are more people in the hospital with COVID than there were during the other peaks. If there are more cases in the general population because of the transmissibility, than it should lead one to believe the patient population in the hospital is also seeing more cases regardless if they are actually in the hospital for COVID. Since the hospitalized population is trending younger, I would like to see the ICU bed peak compared to the other two waves.
plain_o_llama
AggieFactor said:

Shouldn't be too surprising. This chart simply states that there are more people in the hospital with COVID than there were during the other peaks. If there are more cases in the general population because of the transmissibility, than it should lead one to believe the patient population in the hospital is also seeing more cases regardless if they are actually in the hospital for COVID. Since the hospitalized population is trending younger, I would like to see the ICU bed peak compared to the other two waves.
I was curious about the ICU numbers. Using data from
https://dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/additionaldata/

and

plain_o_llama
For Houston TSA area:

and

PJYoung
AG
AggieFactor said:

Yeah that's what is surprising to me about this wave.

Way younger and every bit as sick. I did not expect it at all.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.