* Official World Cup 2022 Thread *

179,612 Views | 2611 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by TRM
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dre_00 said:

They absolutely will. But I'm pretty sure that the Fairfield Inn and Suites on Lamar will have 4 rigid walls. And a toilet. And a shower. And central plumbing and HVAC. I mean I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure.

And even if it's $1000 a night, it will still be better value than that at $207 a night.
That's my point.
Dre_00
Ken Scarborough said:

Dre_00 said:

They absolutely will. But I'm pretty sure that the Fairfield Inn and Suites on Lamar will have 4 rigid walls. And a toilet. And a shower. And central plumbing and HVAC. I mean I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure.

And even if it's $1000 a night, it will still be better value than that at $207 a night.
That's my point.
Got it now
Dre_00
jeffk said:

Game thread is up. https://texags.com/forums/51/topics/3341737/replies/63609542#63609542

In past WC, we've had separate threads for the different groups instead of individual game threads for all the non-US games. Then additional threads for the round of 16 and so on. Anyone have any big objections to that?

The alternative as I see it is to have all the live game discussions on this single thread here.
Think the standard way has worked. All non-US games in this thread will get cumbersome.
akm91
AG
Quote:

And it is Grant Wahl....he seems to attract problems...hes been fired for work ethic/attitude and I think he was even robbed in a Central American country while working.
I don't think that is quite correct. After SI was purchased, laid off some folks. Wahl criticized the new ownership for the layoffs so the new leaders realiated by disclosing Wahl's compensation in an internal email to remaining staff and insinuated that Wahl wouldn't take a pay cut to help pay for the remaining staff. Wahl contends that amount in the memo included a significant bonus and wasn't his base salary and the paycut wasn't temporary for the pandemic, instead it was a permanent paycut.

DeangeloVickers
AG

And I did see those offered on website. Tent experience. Haha. They are on the beach, free tickets to all concerts, and free breakfast.

How do you even keep your stuff safe?

ChipFTAC01
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

jeffk said:

Both of these reporting crews were literally reporting on the WC when these incidents took place. They're not stirring the political plot, they're covering the event that Qatar said they wanted to host.
If you invite me to your house, can I go into your closet and search your drawers? Can I take a picture of them?

When I'm a guest in a foreign country and they say do not take pictures at or near government buildings, I say okay. This definitely could be Qatari officials in the wrong, but the crew could've been asked not to film where they are filming.

There is a reason this is the first Middle East tourney.....they are not very welcoming and their culture IS very much different from ours. High level of **** show is probable.

Hell, Mexico matches alone could be high entertainment value.

I don't know. I think bags of urine are explicitly approved by the Koran.
TXAggie2011
AG
Dre_00 said:

jeffk said:

Game thread is up. https://texags.com/forums/51/topics/3341737/replies/63609542#63609542

In past WC, we've had separate threads for the different groups instead of individual game threads for all the non-US games. Then additional threads for the round of 16 and so on. Anyone have any big objections to that?

The alternative as I see it is to have all the live game discussions on this single thread here.
Think the standard way has worked. All non-US games in this thread will get cumbersome.

Yeah, keep this to more general discussion and keep the traditional way
jeffk
AG
I'll get group threads up today.
tysker
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

My kids are going to geek out about the Inazuma 11 reference
deadbq03
AG
Let's not forget to discuss the great food…

tysker
AG
deadbq03 said:

what makes that a "Greek salad"
I guess I cant point fingers as I pay for Levy's offerings about 6-7 times every fall (plus watching pitiful football)
akm91
AG
$10 for that?
oh no
AG
tysker said:

deadbq03 said:

what makes that a "Greek salad"

a black olive!
Rudyjax
AG
tysker said:

DeangeloVickers said:

My kids are going to geek out about the Inazuma 11 reference

As if Danny Elfman needs any more money.

Who?mikejones!
DeangeloVickers
AG
This is a great follow on twitter

Rudyjax
AG
This one cracked me up.

Rudyjax
AG
Has anyone found like bracket that you can do online like NCAAs?

I want to do one with my team at work and haven't found anything.

Kinda like the fifa one but you can select who is in the pool and scoring.
jeffk
AG
This one you can input score predictions and it'll tell you who is advancing from the group stages.

https://worldsoccertalk.com/predictor/
ChipFTAC01
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

Has anyone found like bracket that you can do online like NCAAs?

I want to do one with my team at work and haven't found anything.

Kinda like the fifa one but you can select who is in the pool and scoring.

Looking for something similar. Will do it manually if I have to but rather it be like more like March Madness.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I just did the fifa one. My password is corruptassfifa1.
GrapevineAg
Rudyjax
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

I just did the fifa one. My password is corruptassfifa1.
How do you compete with people on the same team?
Truvada
Think Argentina takes this one.
AustinScubaAg
AG
I think a number of older player are overrated on this list.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/4787456/world-cup-rank-the-50-best-footballers-of-qatar-2022
TamuKid
AG
AustinScubaAg said:

I think a number of older player are overrated on this list.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/4787456/world-cup-rank-the-50-best-footballers-of-qatar-2022
Bellingham / Dembele / Leao too low. They will be stars in this cup.
They're also sleeping on Depay for the Dutch (and Gakpo).
Lukaku shouldn't be on the list. Batshuayi will be Belgium's guy.
Where's Di Maria?
Mueller should be higher.
texagbeliever
Im not sure that Saka, Gabriel Jesus and Foden are even locks to start. I think all 3 should but thats a different argument.

Courtois and Ronaldo don't belong. Along with 1 of ederson or Allison (only 1 can play!). Otherwise the guys over 30 in the top 10 should be knocked down 10 spots at least.

Tripper is the biggest snub i can think of.
Adams, Musah or Jedi would be my Americans most likely to play as a top 50 player.
jeffk
AG
I just want it noted that I had spent a good amount of time fixing the column formatting of all the matches in the different group threads but apparently TA nuked all my hard work and it's a jumbled mess.
tysker
AG
jeffk said:

I just want it noted that I had spent a good amount of time fixing the column formatting of all the matches in the different group threads but apparently TA nuked all my hard work and it's a jumbled mess.

As the TexAgs app rolls out we should ask the developers for a Soccer Board game thread format option. You're still responsible but it'll save a bunch of effort
jeffk
oh no
AG
where are the Group G and Group H threads?!
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I created a league and invited folks.

So far I think I am the only one. Sad face.
jeffk
AG
I had to work. (They're incoming.)
Rudyjax
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

I created a league and invited folks.

So far I think I am the only one. Sad face.
How?

You said something about the fifa, but not really sure what you meant by that.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
https://www.fifa.com/fifaplus/en/articles/play-the-fifa-world-cup-bracket-challenge

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.