* Official World Cup 2022 Thread *

163,422 Views | 2610 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
TRM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Forgot about this.
jeffk
AG
Uruguay looked pretty decent last night. Pretty clinical finishing. Should be a good test for us Sunday.
jeffk
AG
At the risk of starting a whole thing again, I wanted to share this. I thought it was an interesting read on the new NT contracts and negotiations.

https://sports.yahoo.com/how-usmnt-players-agreed-to-equal-pay-without-formally-entering-the-negotiating-room-153715613.html
aggiephoenix02
Interesting. Thanks…
akm91
AG
Uruguay would be a much sterner test as apparently Morocco only arrived in the States 2 days prior to our match.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
The dutch and the waffles game is incredibly sloppy. Belgium looks especially bad right now. They looked strong in the last euros. Maybe they will get it together, or maybe they are trying some new guys. The dutch look like they are still wearing their wooden shoes.
akm91
AG
The Belgian starting lineup is pretty old. Other than DeBruyne and maybe Meunier, no one else really has had a good season that I can think of.
KCup17
AG
And they paid dearly for that old lineup. Got blitzed by the Dutch.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Yeah, the dutch got their act together, or maybe the belgians just got tired and made the dutch look better. Just based off this match, neither team will go too far in the big dance.
akm91
AG
Croatia, at home, got blitzed by Austria 0-3.

France, at home, lost to Denmark 1-2.

Interesting side note: poster(s) derides Paul Arriola with the nickname of Nipples but there's a French player actually named Areola Alphonse Areola.
Out in Left Field
AG
Ukraine looking dangerous early
MB19
AG
Gareth Bale doing Gareth Bale things....Now ruled an own goal by Yarmalenko.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, it was a heck of finish by the defender. Inch-perfect flick.
Pahdz
This is an intense game!
MB19
AG
What a game by Hennessey. He was brilliant today.
wangus12
AG
Bummed for Ukraine, but also glad we don't have to play them
Max Power
AG
Really is a shame that Gareth Bale's haircut is going to Qatar instead of Ukraine this year.
Mathguy64
AG
wangus12 said:

Bummed for Ukraine, but also glad we don't have to play them

Yep. This would have been a pr nightmare.
Ag Since 83
AG
If the US just avoids giving up free kicks in dangerous positions Wales looks very beatable
jeffk
AG
I worry about Wales on the counter and Bale hitting a worldie, but other than that, we should be able to control the game. Their defense is suspect as well (played above average for them today, I think).
jeffk
AG
OregonAggie
AG
This is a group we can win. Over England. Again.

I feel for Ukraine but I really didn't want to have to play them just due to crowd support for them and also the emotion they'd be carrying into each game. They would be dangerous.

I think we could lose each game but we should be favored in 2 of the 3.
Furlock Bones
AG
Absolutely need a result against Wales. They will sit back and hope to nick a winner.
jeffk
AG
Interesting

Pahdz
Wow last minute cancellation? Could you imagine if the US team did that? They'd be DONE
jeffk
AG
While prepping for their first WC in a good bit too.
jeffk
AG
Next up: The CONCACAF Nations League (because who hasn't been wanting some more of that sweet, sweet CONCACAF action?)

June 10th vs Grenada in Austin, TX (10 pm ET on ESPN+, UniMas)
June 14th at El Salvador (10 pm ET on FS1, Univision)

And then there's a huge break in the tourney for the WC before play continues in March of 2023 vs these two teams again.
jeffk
AG
Because I'm a crazy person, I went and looked up attendance and venue info for the last two friendlies for the USMNT and Mexico:

USMNT vs Morocco
Wednesday night
TQL Stadium - Cincinnati, OH
Capacity: 26k, Announced attendance: 24,002

Mexico vs Uruguay
Thursday night
University of Phoenix Stadium - Phoenix, AZ
Capacity: 63,400, Announced: 57,735

USMNT vs Uruguay
Sunday evening
Children's Mercy Park - Kansas City, MO
Capacity: 18,467(?) , Announced: 19,569 (sellout?)

Mexico vs Ecuador
Sunday evening
Soldier Field - Chicago, IL
Capacity: 61,500, Announced: *can't find it, but it looked maybe 2/3 full on tv*

Point of this is that USSF seems to misunderstand the point of friendly matches. We all know that big urban venues aren't going to get important matches, so why not use friendlies to grow the game in those areas? Would the crowd be hostile? Maybe! But for a relatively meaningless game, that would probably be a helpful exercise for the players. Plus, you might actually play well in front of a new group of fans who might support you in the future.
KCup17
AG
I'm honestly not super scared of Wales. Yeah they have some good parts but overall the seem to underperform. I think we match up nicely with them.
JJxvi
AG
Part of me thinks that we should just go into the word cup with the following offensive style.

Step 1: Kick ball to Pulisic. Get fouled.
Step 2: Have Kellyn Acosta kick the ball toward Weston McKennie's head.
Step 3: Profit.
Furlock Bones
AG
KCup17 said:

I'm honestly not super scared of Wales. Yeah they have some good parts but overall the seem to underperform. I think we match up nicely with them.
the problem is they are going to sit back just like Canada and hope Bale wins them the game on a counter. we have a big problem trying to break down teams that sit back. we get the ball in the final third and then kick it sideways and backwards.
jeffk
AG
Please forward this on to Christian with the message title being: STOP TAKING ALL THE FREEKICKS, DUMMY.
OregonAggie
AG
You forgot to say "Have anyone but Pulisic take corners"
AgGrad99
AG
KCup17 said:

Im concerned about them going for a contested header, and Bale's man-bun getting stuck on Zimmerman's man-bun.... a la Aaronson's shoe
PatAg
AG
OregonAggie said:

You forgot to say "Have anyone but Pulisic take corners"
I really dont understand what they could be seeing in training that would result in Pulisic taking any free kicks or corner kicks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.