* Official World Cup 2022 Thread *

179,707 Views | 2611 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by TRM
KCup17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is anyone watching the Wales-Poland game? It's being played now. It's a slow day at work so I thought I would tune in but cannot find where the stream resides.
TRM
AG
I thought it was on fuboTV.
KCup17
AG
Indeed. Just found it. But I do not have a Fubo TV subscription. Oh well
aggiebird02
Let's go Scotland…
PJYoung
AG
deadbq03 said:

Thanks for sharing. I didn't know any of his backstory. Makes sense now why he's not the best with the ball at his feet, but man, truly amazing that he has risen to such a high level. Wish him all the best.

I think this link is free:

https://theathletic.com/3342477/2022/05/31/matt-turner-usmnt-arsenal/

Quote:

"I needed to shake it up heading into Qatar. I really needed to, in my opinion," Turner said. "Is it risky? Yeah, probably a little bit. But at the end of the day, it's a step forward for my career. I've always said that I want to see how far I can take soccer, I want to really push it. This is the logical next step if that's my mentality."

Over the course of qualifying, Berhalter consistently cited Steffen's ability to play with his feet as a reason for starting him over Turner despite the disparity in club appearances between the two. Steffen had a very high-profile, very costly recent error with the ball at his feet, but he has improved that part of his game since he moved to Man City from Columbus, where he played under Berhalter, in the summer of 2019. Turner likely needs to up that part of his game to have a shot at winning the USMNT job outright.

"I have to train at a higher level," he said. "The style of play with the Revolution is mighty old school. If there's pressure, we don't really try to play out of it too much. At Arsenal, the goalkeepers are required to play a little bit more with the ball, playing in the system rather than just sort of going out there. They have to follow tactics and game plans a little more closely. Those are things that I know are valued with the national team that I'll be challenged more with Arsenal.

"In December and January, I got to spend weeks at a time with the national team in buildup to games. And in all those games, I feel like I was pretty solid with the ball at my feet. Apart from the one blip in Canada, pretty solid connecting passes, making the right decisions. And then I don't train exactly like that when I'm with the Revs, so I lose it. I get it for a couple of weeks, then I lose it. Now I'll be training that way all the time."

Berhalter has been a big booster of the move, telling Turner in January that he thought it was a good step for his career and that it would challenge him in the ways he needed to be challenged. He's already generally considered a superior shot stopper to Steffen, a stance that was borne out by the numbers in qualifying. If he can maintain that element of his game and improve with his feet, he'll have a real argument to start in Qatar in November.
aggiebird02

I found this on YouTube. Idk if it'll stream the entire match though…
aggiebird02

Here's another one that may or may not work…
TRM
AG
Ukraine breaks through 1st.
aggiebird02
Dang it…
deadbq03
AG
Ukraine looks more like a team that's had a productive 3 month super-camp rather than a team that hasn't played competitively since Jan. Passes are real sharp. They could easily be up 3-0 right now if it weren't for some great saves.
aggiebird02
Scotland is done…
KCup17
AG
Ukraine looks miles better Scotland. It looks like Scotland have never played as a team before.
PatAg
AG
Might be lucky to not get a red,but that was also a pretty reckless challenge by Ukraine
PatAg
AG
Scotland finally starting to generate chances
KCup17
AG
McGinn misses an absolute sitter. Wow.
deadbq03
AG
Wow. What a miss.
PatAg
AG
Phantom with the goal
akm91
AG
I wanted Scotland to win so either Wales or Scotland would be in the group. They always get up for matches against England.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
PatAg
AG
Scotland hasnt won a 2nd ball in about 10 minutes
TRM
AG
That'll seal it.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
14 for Ukraine is a hell of a player.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Fun match
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Wales v. Ukraine in Cardiff is going to be interesting. Prefer a Welsh win but who knows.
PatAg
AG
Though England, Ukraine, Morocco would have a lot of similarities to England, Slovenia, Algeria I guess
KCup17
AG
*Iran
deadbq03
AG
I don't like whiney man bun.

And it's real hard to root against Ukraine.

I was half-heartedly hoping Scotland could pull it off today, but I'll be whole-heartedly rooting for Ukraine in the next one.
aggiebird02
Nope, it's super easy to root against Ukraine. F'em, I hope they lose to Wales…
PatAg
AG
Don't need to be playing a country in Ukraine's situation in the World Cup, couldnt deal with all the schadenfreude from the non-real fan american public in that game.
aggiebird02
Exactly!
deadbq03
AG
We're clearly not going to agree here, but I think a game between the US and Ukraine has far more potential to bring neutrals to the sport than US - Wales.
aggiebird02
I don't give a crap about bringing neutrals to the game.

I'd rather play Wales than Ukraine…
boogieman
AG
...sorry. Wrong thread.
PatAg
AG
jeffk said:

Schedule was already on the previous page, but here it is again.

jeffk said:

Summer game schedule:

ttt
OregonAggie
AG
Playing Ukraine in the WC is a nightmare. I think they'll play much better than they should on paper just because of emotion.

I'm hoping for Wales
aggiebird02
Uruguay is destroying Mexico. If you aren't watching, turn it on, this is great…

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.