***Official USMNT-WCQ Octagonal Thread***

182,637 Views | 3020 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by cruzdoggie
deadbq03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
oh no said:

Under previous management at Leipzig, before Marsh and the current/interim, I think Adams played a lot of CB in a 3-man back line and some RB. Regardless of whether they have someone they like better at 6, Adams should have a place in Leipzig's best XI if fully fit.
He's played as a sweeper twice ever, once against minnows in a cup game and once last month and he was yanked at halftime.

Either Leipzig have more quality than you realize, or Adams isn't as good as you think, but either way he has zero chance of being a first choice starter at CB or RB.
Rudyjax
AG
tysker said:

deadbq03 said:

provides utility on set pieces,
You would think Acosta's set piece ability makes him a default starter against both Mexico and Panama. We may not get a lot of chances through run of play The US has a history of winning these types of games based solely on solid defense and effective set pieces.
Acosta needs to play against Mexico for 2 reasons. 1. Set pieces. 2. He can Concacaf with the best of them.
PatAg
AG
Aye Davanita said:

tysker said:

deadbq03 said:

provides utility on set pieces,
You would think Acosta's set piece ability makes him a default starter against both Mexico and Panama. We may not get a lot of chances through run of play The US has a history of winning these types of games based solely on solid defense and effective set pieces.
Acosta needs to play against Mexico for 2 reasons. 1. Set pieces. 2. He can Concacaf with the best of them.
Reyna will take the set pieces when he is in, but Ive always been a proponent of Acosta in the right formation/tactics. He can strike a ball too
PatAg
AG
Aston94 said:

The fact that you disagree with me convinces me even more that my strategy is right.

Adams is the one player we have on a yellow that I have playing against Mexico. A defense first 6 is not what we are going to need against a park the bus Panama. I love Adams, but the Mexico game is more where he is needed.

And we do need three against Panama, but we also need a 4th point. I prefer a strategy where we get that against Mexico and not wait until the CR game.

Adams is a better fit for Mexico match and Acosta is a better fit for Panama.
I guess I should have specificied that I disagree with that specific part of your take. I dont think we should play a straight up B team.
Rudyjax
AG
I think in set pieces Reyna is superior. But I'm ok with Reyna taking them.

Pulisic has a mean corner but not free kick.
Furlock Bones
AG
Reggie Cannon didn't train today. When it rains, it ****ing pours.
Furlock Bones
AG
USMNT spokesman is saying an inconclusive covid test is the reason cannon was not training. I find it hard to believe he will be allowed to travel.
fig96
AG

Furlock Bones
AG
This whole play our b-team thing is stupid. You play the best team period.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Most of these guys are sub 25 years old. This worrying about them not being ready to play the second match 3 days later is ridiculous. When I was 25, I could play back to back days, with a night of drinking in between!
deadbq03
AG
I'm sure you played full-throttle both days too.

I wouldn't be concerned if Panama were playing a contender tonight, where they'd also need to play their best team. If that were the case, then in our match with them, the fatigue situation ought to be fair.

But they're playing Honduras tonight. If there's even a drop of collusion, that means Panama can rest whoever they want and still win and be fresh for our game.
Rudyjax
AG
deadbq03 said:

I'm sure you played full-throttle both days too.

I wouldn't be concerned if Panama were playing a contender tonight, where they'd also need to play their best team. If that were the case, then in our match with them, the fatigue situation ought to be fair.

But they're playing Honduras tonight. If there's even a drop of collusion, that means Panama can rest whoever they want and still win and be fresh for our game.

You know there's collusion.
TRM
AG
UEFA WC Playoffs start in 10 minutes.
Rudyjax
AG
Is Portugal Turkey the best match?
TRM
AG
The other games are on ESPN+. Sweden vs Czech Republic is probably the most competitive of those.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Thunder18
AG
Can't believe Italy lost to N. Macedonia. Portugal-Turkey was a fun game to watch.

Hope Portugal and Sweden make it to the WC- one last hurrah for Ronaldo and Ibra
Gordo14
Thunder18 said:

Can't believe Italy lost to N. Macedonia. Portugal-Turkey was a fun game to watch.

Hope Portugal and Sweden make it to the WC- one last hurrah for Ronaldo and Ibra

Pretty sure Ibra retired from the national team.
Rudyjax
AG
Thunder18 said:

I work with a ton of Italians. They'll be fun tomorrow.
Thunder18
AG
Gordo14 said:

Thunder18 said:

Pretty sure Ibra retired from the national team.

He unretired this year
B$Weigem
AG
I'm sorry but Steffen is not it. Give me a goalie that isn't about style points. He almost cost us a goal not picking up the ball, wasting time and then out kicking Zimmerman. Give me Turner or Horvath. GK is a position where reps matter most. Idc what league, you need to play not be a backup on premier squad! Sorry rant over.
aggiephoenix02
I agree 100%…
Legal Custodian
AG
Panama and Honduras played to a draw! Magic number down to 4!
DeangeloVickers
AG
gougler08
AG
Wow, concacaf ****ing us over not even in our own game
TRM
AG
Costa Rica wins 1-0.
TRM
AG
Canada 25
USA 22
Mexico 22
Costa Rica 19
Panama 18
ADJME7002
AG
So 1 point versus Panama secures 4th place at worst. 3 points secures a top 3 finish.
wangus12
AG
STCCaggie said:

So 1 point versus Panama secures 4th place at worst. 3 points secures a top 3 finish.

As long as we don't lose by stupid goal margins to Costa Rica
DeangeloVickers
AG
Canada 25 Jamaica / @ Panama
USA 22 Panama / @CR
Mexico 22 @Honduras / El Salvador
aggiephoenix02
Panama has the toughest path…
TRM
AG
No Cannon. Shaq Moore call in upcoming?

oragator
I support Gregg's approach tonight, but man we gave up a lot for that point. Really hope it pays off.
boogieman
AG
Per GGG's interview, Shaq Moore coming into camp to play RB.
wangus12
AG
TRM said:

No Cannon. Shaq Moore call in upcoming?

GGG just confirmed it

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.