***Official USMNT-WCQ Octagonal Thread***

187,332 Views | 3020 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cruzdoggie
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
fig96 said:

Sands to Rangers official. Not sure I love the move but we'll see how it pans out, good for visibility I imagine.

Hmmm.
PatAg
AG

This guy always has funny videos and tweets
akm91
AG
Watke is great in small doses. His voice grates on me after a while though.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
KCup17
AG
I think Sands to Rangers is a great move. Fellow American Cameron Carter-Vickers is having a great season at Celtic currently in the Scottish Prem. Also the USMNT have had a number of players play for Rangers in years past.
akm91
AG
Sands to Rangers is a loan with option to buy at the end of SPL season. There is no downside to this really for all parties involved.

Sands will be match fit for potential USMNT call up for WCQ windows while possibly stepping up a level (at least against Celtic) competition.

fig96
AG
That's my minor issue with it, there's other leagues he could've gone to that would've provided a higher level of competition week in week out. But definitely better than no move at all, he'll get some good visibility in Europe and have a chance to play some Champions League football.
KCup17
AG
January Camp roster dropped yesterday. All players are domestic.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/usmnt-call-in-19-mls-players-for-january-camp-before-concacaf-octagonal-returns
oh no
AG
can all those MLS dudes beat El Salvador and Honduras at home? Do we need 6 pts from those and hopefully at least a draw away at Canada? ....assuming Canada won't have their European based players - or at least Davies as well?
jeffk
AG
There will be foreign-based players on the rosters for the qualifiers.
KCup17
AG
jeffk said:

There will be foreign-based players on the rosters for the qualifiers.
Could be interesting to see what happens if Omicron continues to run wild.
Aston94
AG
oh no said:

can all those MLS dudes beat El Salvador and Honduras at home? Do we need 6 pts from those and hopefully at least a draw away at Canada? ....assuming Canada won't have their European based players - or at least Davies as well?
This roster is for the January Camp which will end a week before the rosters are announced for the qualifiers.

This camp is to get the MLS players match ready for the WCQ. Berhalter said yesterday that all the MLS players who will be a part of the WCQ will be in this camp.

fig96
AG
Some of y'all are apparently not familiar with Camp Cupcake

We have done exactly this with the roster every January as far back as I can remember.
oh no
AG
sorry; i just assumed the players announced in camp on Jan 7 would be roster pool for the WCQ window that starts on Jan 28. ...so there's a camp for 2-3 weeks for top American MLS players, they leave, then immediately the first choice players (mostly in Europe) fly in about a week ahead of the next WCQ? ...some guys like Pepi and Turner who will be in the WCQ roster will just stay with USMNT for the entire month of Jan into early Feb.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, European teams aren't going to release their guys to come to camp in the midst of their season. MLS has been off for a couple months and the players from that league are fat and slow after the holidays and need to get back into game shape prior to the qualifiers.
oh no
AG
gotcha.. call in 19 domestic players for a few weeks and 4-6 of them will stick around for the three upcoming match days. the euro-based will show up a few days (4-5?) ahead of the first match day on 1/27
jeffk
AG
Yeah, pretty much.
Aston94
AG
Ones who will likely stick around for WCQ are bolded below:

GOALKEEPERS
  • Sean Johnson New York City FC
  • Gabriel Slonina Chicago Fire FC
  • Matt Turner New England Revolution
DEFENDERS
  • George Bello Atlanta United
  • DeJuan Jones New England Revolution
  • Brooks Lennon Atlanta United
  • Aaron Long New York Red Bulls
  • Miles Robinson Atlanta United
  • Walker Zimmerman Nashville SC
MIDFIELDERS (6)
  • Kellyn Acosta Colorado Rapids
  • Cole Bassett Colorado Rapids
  • Djordje Mihailovic CF Montral
  • Sebastian Lletget New England Revolution
  • Cristian Roldan Seattle Sounders
  • Jackson Yueill San Jose Earthquakes
FORWARDS (4)
  • Paul Arriola D.C. United
  • Jess Ferreira FC Dallas
  • Jordan Morris Seattle Sounders
  • Gyasi Zardes Columbus Crew

Arriola and Roldan might also stay for WCQ, but the other 8 are the most likely in my opinion.
fig96
AG
PatAg
AG
fig96 said:

We have done exactly this with the roster every January as far back as I can remember.
Except this isnt Camp Cupcake, this is him calling in all the MLS players that he might use for qualifying so they can be in shape
PatAg
AG
fig96 said:

Gotta love that forward just standing still at the top of the box and making no runs, after you just made a 40+ yard dribble beating 3 defenders
fig96
AG
PatAg said:

fig96 said:

Except this isnt Camp Cupcake, this is him calling in all the MLS players that he might use for qualifying so they can be in shape
Considering that the MLS season starts at the end of February this year they're hopefully getting close to playing shape anyway. I'd also assume the same thing occurred last qualifying cycle, even if there's a more targeted reason for it now it's still tradition.
PatAg
AG
Qualifying is different for this world cup because it's in the winter not summer
Camp cupcake was normally players that aren't on the top 23 or so, and they play meaningless friendlies at the end of it

Not really a big deal, but it is different this year
Rudyjax
AG
Just me or does Pepi look scared ****less?

PatAg
AG
That's him realizing how bad Augsburg attack is
Rudyjax
AG
theNetSmith
AG
Nice 2021 recap video from USSoccer. I especially liked the montage of celebrations at the end.. made me feel very patriotic, actually.

Question: was '21 the best year ever for the USMNT with a record 17 wins including 3-0 vs El Tri? what other years would you consider?

oh no
AG
thanks for posting... that 120' extra time PK save by Ethan Horvath in the Nations League final v Mexico last year gives me chills re-watching it.
jeffk
AG
Ahhhh... yeah. That's the good stuff.
akm91
AG
2002 would be the best year for USMNT in my opinion. Beating El Tri 3 times in a year is awesome but making it to the Quarters at the WC is still the measuring stick.

Damn you Torsten Frings!

oh no
AG
i was living in asia during the 2002 WC. the bar i was at for that match was full of american expats and we were going crazy!
Aston94
AG
akm91 said:

2002 would be the best year for USMNT in my opinion. Beating El Tri 3 times in a year is awesome but making it to the Quarters at the WC is still the measuring stick.

Damn you Torsten Frings!

Video still makes me sick at my stomach...
gougler08
AG
Where was VAR when you actually want/need it
Rudyjax
AG
akm91 said:

Damn you Torsten Frings!

GGG losing us another World Cup game wh a crappy shot.
akm91
AG
Haha, didn't even notice it was Triple G that was denied by Frings
jeffk
AG
Really hoping that 2021-2022 becomes the best two year span in USMNT history: follow up a 17 win, 2 trophy 2021 with WC qualification and strong showing in Qatar.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.