***Official USMNT-WCQ Octagonal Thread***

182,109 Views | 3020 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by cruzdoggie
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Official from FIFA

https://www.fifa.com/tournaments/mens/worldcup/qatar2022/media-releases/fifa-uefa-suspend-russian-clubs-and-national-teams-from-all-competitions
wangus12
AG
Aston94 said:

tysker said:

Ya, and there's so much bitterness and history there that we'll never comprehend. I legitimately feel bad for the players, coaches, etc.
I feel worse for the Ukrainians that are living in subway stops right now, huddling over their kids trying to keep them safe.

Players and coaches need to put pressure on their government. Public protests from within will put an end to Putin's reign.
Problem is internal public protests at least currently is landing said protestors in the gulag. And its not the "oh sure, have a friend bail you out in the morning" kind of gulag that Russia deals with
tysker
AG
Certainly, I'm just not sure I ultimately trust UEFA and FIFA as the arbiters of justice.
FIFA already has a history of fining players whose parents are refugees:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soccer-insider/wp/2018/06/24/fifa-investigates-switzerland-players-goal-celebration-an-albanian-nationalist-gesture/
Quote:

Both could have received two-match bans if their actions were found to have provoked fans.

And not trying to be confrontational or contrarian here, just working through some thoughts.
jeffk
AG
Oh, I know and I'm with you. It's a good discussion.
deadbq03
AG
tysker said:

Not sure how I feel about this. Penalizing players, coaches, and staff based on decisions of politicians seems spurious. From very much the outside looking in. And of course invading a sovereign nation is a different level. I don't know, it just seems like there's no end game and I see a future where the US is on the wrong side of these decisions. ****ty al around
If the Russian Football Union was a politically independent non-profit like USSF I might agree.

But they're run by a Russian Oligarch who's also the chairman of a Gazprom subsidiary (and also the president of Zenit St. Petersburg - hello conflict of interest).

Spartak Moscow is also run by a Russian Oligarch billionaire.

The entire country is run by people who essentially stole ownership of companies, clubs, etc when communism fell.

These dudes aren't neutral bystanders - they're the only ones who can shake hands with Putin and tell him to give this ****show up.
tysker
AG
FIFA and UEFA litigating a sovereign nation's internal conflict of interest seems like a dangerous game to play. That being said it's easier to cut ties with those oligarchs when the banks wont process the incoming payments.

eta: and I agree that with FIFA especially, money talks and bull**** walks. and right know Russia is the bull****
carl spacklers hat
How long until a plane full of cash shows up and FIFA reverses course? FIFA is the most corrupt sports organization in the world and have a history of bribe-taking.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
jeffk
AG
The problem for FIFA is that the alternative (letting Russia compete) might just tank the whole WC. If a critical mass of nations say that won't play if Russia is allowed in, the whole tourney won't happen. Would have to be an incredible bribe to risk that.
PJYoung
AG
jeffk said:

The problem for FIFA is that the alternative (letting Russia compete) might just tank the whole WC. If a critical mass of nations say that won't play if Russia is allowed in, the whole tourney won't happen. Would have to be an incredible bribe to risk that.

Yeah nobody is going to play Russia in the WC if Putin is somehow still in power.
Mathguy64
AG
This is going to go to CAS. And who knows what CAS is going to do.
tysker
AG
And Russia is the head of the snake. Take a stand now when you have the support of most of the world. Frankly the Russians have rarely looked so weak and inept FIFA gains in public perception (charisma skill +5)

Plenty of other post-soviet states have issues which each other but Russia still pulls the strings over the whole region. You cant unwind generations of hate, distrust, oppression, and bloodshed. Seeing this from an American perspective is obviously not doing it justice.
Dre_00
wangus12 said:

Aston94 said:

tysker said:

Ya, and there's so much bitterness and history there that we'll never comprehend. I legitimately feel bad for the players, coaches, etc.
I feel worse for the Ukrainians that are living in subway stops right now, huddling over their kids trying to keep them safe.

Players and coaches need to put pressure on their government. Public protests from within will put an end to Putin's reign.
Problem is internal public protests at least currently is landing said protestors in the gulag. And its not the "oh sure, have a friend bail you out in the morning" kind of gulag that Russia deals with
Exactly this. It's naive to say public protests are enough to put an end to Putin. Barring a military coup (which seems unlikely) Putin know as long as he has the elites, he has the country. Tens or even hundreds of thousands protesting won't change that.

And to keep this more soccer related, I absolutely agree with banning Russia from the WC. I absolutely agree that FIFA is a horrible arbiter of morality and justice. And I absolutely agree that other countries should be subjected to a similar type of scrutiny.
deadbq03
AG
Mathguy64 said:

This is going to go to CAS. And who knows what CAS is going to do.
Im with Jeff though… CAS might have the gall (or bribe money) to rule in favor of Russia, but that doesn't force the hand of the teams that have stated that they'll refuse to play.

I think it would be the end of not just the 22 WC, but the end of FIFA itself. They're already on thin ice.
akm91
AG
Quote:

I think it would be the end of not just the 22 WC, but the end of FIFA itself. They're already on thin ice.
That would not be such a bad thing.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Aston94
AG
Dre_00 said:

wangus12 said:

Aston94 said:

tysker said:

Exactly this. It's naive to say public protests are enough to put an end to Putin. Barring a military coup (which seems unlikely) Putin know as long as he has the elites, he has the country. Tens or even hundreds of thousands protesting won't change that.

And to keep this more soccer related, I absolutely agree with banning Russia from the WC. I absolutely agree that FIFA is a horrible arbiter of morality and justice. And I absolutely agree that other countries should be subjected to a similar type of scrutiny.
I don't want to get into a big argument about this, but I think it is naive of you to think that public sentiment in Russia won't have an impact on the war with Ukraine. Russian athletes around the world opposing the war have real consequences at home.

The fact that Russia was already willing to discuss terms of a cease fire today shows how all the pressures on Putin together can help end the war. The oligarchs who control the teams have a lot of power...and Putin's ear.
akm91
AG
Quote:

The fact that Russia was already willing to discuss terms of a cease fire today shows how all the pressures on Putin together can help end the war. The oligarchs who control the teams have a lot of power...and Putin's ear.
Or it's a smokescreen to buy him time to get more assets in position to complete the invasion.
Aston94
AG

wangus12
AG
Makes sense. The oligarchs are basically restricted to Russia at this point and are about to get their asses handed to them if the Russian market ever reopens
TRM
AG
https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-usa/story/4602552/usmnts-giovanni-reyna-sets-world-cup-qualification-target-on-return-from-injury
Quote:

Borussia Dortmund and United States international midfielder Giovanni Reyna said that he's "pretty positive" he'll return from his latest injury setback in time to help the U.S. in the last round of World Cup qualifying.

In last weekend's 6-0 Bundesliga win against Borussia Monchengladbach, Reyna suffered a recurrence of the hamstring injury that kept him out for over five months. Fortunately, the setback isn't deemed to be too serious, and he should be back training in a couple of weeks.
jeffk
AG
John Brooks will be looking for a new club soon.

akm91
AG
Hopefully with the contract situation resolved, he'll start playing more consistently if not for the March window but to land with a team in the fall that he'll get consistent minutes. He's still the only US player that has had any WC experience and would be great asset to the team if we qualify for WC.
fig96
AG
Wonder if he's due for an MLS move, but he's also never been a US based player.

And not to derail, but the Russian skater being allowed to compete is total BS regardless of her age (and especially considering a US sprinter wasn't allowed to compete in the Summer Games after testing positive for marijuana).
Rudyjax
AG
fig96 said:

And not to derail, but the Russian skater being allowed to compete is total BS regardless of her age (and especially considering a US sprinter wasn't allowed to compete in the Summer Games after testing positive for marijuana).
I don't think he's ever lived in the US, has he?
oh no
AG
Aye Davanita said:

fig96 said:

I don't think he's ever lived in the US, has he?
neither had Pele!

after a lifetime in Germany, a few years in LA or Miami or somewhere might seem nice.
jeffk
AG
Boo. Another streaming service I'll have to get to watch US soccer.

TRM
AG
You want to grow the game, get it on network television. Anything on HBOMax, I'll watch in Spanish.
deadbq03
AG
I gotta think that most games are going to be on TBS/TNT.

But yeah… way too many services if you're a soccer fan.
ChipFTAC01
AG
What games did CBS have that got us Clint & Gooch?
oh no
AG
does this mean home friendlies and home concacaf matches will move from ESPN2 to TNT?

...and away concacaf matches will still be on paramount+ or something?

Aston94
AG

Looks like half the games will be on TNT/TBS

Quote:

HBO Max will live stream more than 20 United States National Soccer Team matches each year. TNT or TBS will televise approximately half of those matches all simulcast on HBO Max with the remaining matches being exclusive to the rapidly growing streaming platform.

This part scares me:

Quote:

In addition, the strategic partnership will include digital and highlight rights for Bleacher Report and its portfolio brands, among additional content opportunities throughout the WarnerMedia portfolio.

I hope this doesn't meant that game highlights will be limited, ala EPL in England, to one provider. Talk about killing enthusiasm. "USMNT beat Mexico tonight in a thrilling 2-0 win in Cincinnati. Unfortunately, we cannot show you the highlights."
Aston94
AG
oh no said:

does this mean home friendlies and home concacaf matches will move from ESPN2 to TNT?

...and away concacaf matches will still be on paramount+ or something?

So the home team sells the tv rights. So all our home games will be on TNT/TBS/HBO Max.

Away games are decided by the team we are playing. CBS/Paramount bought all the away games this qualification round.
jeffk
AG
I would love to hear someone at USSF discuss the rationale to sell game rights to services who stick them behind streaming paywalls and how that meshes with their mission to grow the domestic game. They don't need the cash.
gougler08
AG
Well selfishly I have HBO max so I'll survive but man this plan + NBCs shutdown of NBC Sports just to push more premier league games to peacock is so short sighted and dumb
fig96
AG
Not to mention, 10 years ago who would've guessed that USA would become the home of reality tv, wrestling, auto racing, and the occasional Premier League match.
Pahdz
I don't know but 30 years ago that WAS what that network was

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.