***Official USMNT-WCQ Octagonal Thread***

182,117 Views | 3020 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by cruzdoggie
JJxvi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
KCup17 said:

Sounds like he snuck multiple people over. Probably to the team hotel.

IDK how much I believe the Donovan line of an irreparable relationship but only time will tell.
I was gonna post a response that "Landon is a drama queen" but I see I was beaten to it.
TamuKid
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Probably just snuck a chick into the team hotel or something
Everyone keeps saying this. Let's say he did.
It's also possible he then lied about it. Maybe he not only broke the rules, but then tried to cover it up/lie, etc.

I could see being very frustrated if a guy #1 broke the rules during a VERY important time when you should be locked in. And someone who wants to be a leader on the team. But #2 then lied about it.

Obviously speculation...but my guess is he did more than "just" anything.
Who knows, maybe he snuck a girl into his room, that girl ended up being COVID positive, making him a close contact, etc etc. Maybe he was already on a short leash because of his prior Juventus antics. Who knows.
KCup17
AG
The whole debacle with Jurgen Klinsmann really painted Donovan as a prima donna. I take most of what he says now with a grain of salt.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, WM is (was?) on the leadership council as well.

Typically, screwing up but then admitting your mistake doesn't result in you getting sent home. Screwing up and then compounding it by reacting to getting caught in some way definitely could though.
oh no
AG
In Weston's defense, las mujeres salvadorenas son increibles.
jeffk
AG
If he managed to sneak a girl from El Salvador into the team hotel in Nashville, he deserves some major props.
oh no
AG
I thought the "covid protocol violation" happened in El Salvador before they got back stateside.
KCup17
AG
Maybe it wasn't about lying but that he may have been exposed to COVID and the team didn't want to take the risk of him being at camp and exposing the whole team so they sent him off.

I can definitely see the staff making each player agree to a set of rules regarding COVID and if any of them were broken willingly the penalty would be getting sent home.

Definitely just spit balling some potential reasons.
PatAg
AG
I think Weston needs to have that moment of self reflection at this point in his life. Will he blame externally, or will he take personal accountability and realize "this is now 3 coaches that have said I have a professionalism issue, what do I need to change".
He doesn't have to completely change his attitude or personality to do it either.
PatAg
AG
This team is more than capable of getting the win on the road Wednesday, and it won't tank our qualifying efforts if we dont get it.....but I really don't want to see what happens if we don't get that win.
DeangeloVickers
AG
JJxvi said:

KCup17 said:

Sounds like he snuck multiple people over. Probably to the team hotel.

IDK how much I believe the Donovan line of an irreparable relationship but only time will tell.
I was gonna post a response that "Landon is a drama queen" but I see I was beaten to it.
I wanted to say lil' ***** but trying to be nicer
oh no
AG
For tomorrow, Honduras also tied El Salvador 0-0 in San Salvador like we did, only Honduras was dominated in possession by them. It looks like their most dangerous speed demon Alberth Elis, is not on the Honduras squad. US defenders should be able to thwart Quioto. I hope they choose to attack and be aggressive rather than try to protect 1 point on the road. I think they should be more ambitions with shot-taking... don't always need to combine with the extra pass for the perfect tap-in - test the Honduran keeper early and often from all over around the 18.
tysker
AG
PatAg said:

This team is more than capable of getting the win on the road Wednesday, and it won't tank our qualifying efforts if we dont get it.....but I really don't want to see what happens if we don't get that win.
Plus the next month of soccer media and a large segment of the fan base will become insufferable
Aston94
AG
Okay, so USMNT is now in full meltdown after 2 draws to start WCQ. But a victory on Wednesday and all will be forgotten and well. I predicted 5 points from first three games and it is still a possibility, but we will have to be more clinical in front of the net. With all the angst we are still tied for a qualifying position through the first two matches.

Current Standings (through 2 matches):
1. Mexico--6 points (+/- 2)
2. Panama--4 points (+/- 3)
3. Canada--2 points (+/- 0)
3. Honduras--2 points (+/- 0)
3. USA--2 points (+/- 0)
3. El Salvador--2 points (+/- 0)
7. Costa Rica--1 Point (+/- -1)
8. Jamaica--0 points (+/- -4)

Upcoming matches (September 8):

6:30 pm Canada v. El Salvador (BMO Field, Toronto--Paramount +). Canada and El Salvador have both tied their first two matches, with El Salvador getting only 2 points from 2 home matches. Canada will be looking for the full 3 at home while I am sure El Salvador will approach this game much like they did the home match against the US. As we saw, La Selecta can be dangerous on the counter, and I am sure they will want to make a fast Canadian club break them down.

8:00 pm Costa Rica v. Jamaica (Estadio Nacional, San Jose--Paramount+). Both clubs will come into this match desperate for points. Costa Rica come in to this match after a defeat to Mexico at home, so the Ticos must get points from this home match. If Jamaica doesn't claim any points they may be all but out of the race after 3 matches, having lost at Mexico 2-1 and then getting throttled at home by Panama, 3-0.

8:05 pm Panama v. Mexico (Estadio Rommel Fernandez, Panama City--Telemundo and Paramount+). Panama and Mexico are the early leaders in the Octagon, With Mexico claiming wins over Jamaica and Costa Rica. Panama has played the same 2 clubs, tying Costa Rica and beating Jamaica soundly. Will be a good match, with Panama having the chance to go to the top of the Octagon with a home win.

9:30pm Honduras v. USA (Estadio Olimpico, San Pedro Sula--Paramount+). Two teams that have tied their first two matches. Both will come into this match looking for the full 3 points. I would prefer the US come out a bit more defensive (4-4-2 with Acosta and Adams sitting in the middle would be my preferred offense, with Pefok and Pulisic up front) and counter against the Honduran team. Isolating Pefok and Pulisic in space would seem our best offensive strategy for now without Reyna and McKennie.
jeffk
AG
oh no said:

I thought the "covid protocol violation" happened in El Salvador before they got back stateside.

I had heard it was in Nashville, but at this case I'm sure of absolutely nothing any more.
KCup17
AG
Again, amazing write up Aston94!
PatAg
AG
tysker said:

PatAg said:

Plus the next month of soccer media and a large segment of the fan base will become insufferable
Yea, if we don't win might as well just not even look at any of it for at least a week..if not all the way until October 1st.
Aston94
AG
KCup17 said:

Again, amazing write up Aston94!
Thanks!
gougler08
AG
Man our game is only Paramount+? Can't even get a Spanish version?
fig96
AG
Soccer has me subscribing to just about every damn streaming service.
gougler08
AG
fig96 said:

Soccer has me subscribing to just about every damn streaming service.
Yeah it's gotten way out of hand now
KCup17
AG
I told myself I would never subscribe to ESPN+ and just stick with Paramount+. But If my team goes down in the prem this year I'm not sure how I will be able to avoid getting ESPN+ to watch the championship.
PatAg
AG
Someone linked this earlier in the thread.
It's on Universo in SPanish
https://the18.com/soccer-entertainment/how-to-watch-usmnt-world-cup-qualifiers-tv-streaming-2022

CONCACAF WCQ away games have been much harder to watch in the past, we're actually able to watch this year pretty easily
PatAg
AG
KCup17 said:

I told myself I would never subscribe to ESPN+ and just stick with Paramount+. But If my team goes down in the prem this year I'm not sure how I will be able to avoid getting ESPN+ to watch the championship.
If you have Disney+ or Hulu, or any interest, the bundle saves you money in total
KCup17
AG
I currently have Disney+ so that may be the smart play!
Rudyjax
AG

Quote:

Gio already demonstrates a bad attitude on the pitch,
Have you watched Dortmund? They all get really pissed every GSO they don't convert on.

It's a good attitude not a bad one. Haaland holds the team accountable for it, and Gio does the same. His injury was devastating for us.

fig96
AG
PatAg said:

KCup17 said:

If you have Disney+ or Hulu, or any interest, the bundle saves you money in total
Yup, I think I pay like 2 bucks and change for ESPN+, worth it just for MLS.
Rudyjax
AG
Not sure the veracity, but I read McKennie violated covid protocals and slept with a teammates sister.

Whether that's true or not, he's definitely showed a very level of professionalism.

deadbq03
AG
Kevin the 3-legged dog said:

Quote:

Gio already demonstrates a bad attitude on the pitch,
Have you watched Dortmund? They all get really pissed every GSO they don't convert on.

It's a good attitude not a bad one. Haaland holds the team accountable for it, and Gio does the same. His injury was devastating for us.

It's probably just dumb personal preference, but I don't like his body language either. For me it goes beyond just missed GSOs. He seems whiny about everything, all game long.

To me there's a night and day difference between his overall demeanor and Haaland's. Or to use recent USMNT comparisons - both Hoppe and Aaronson will get clearly visibly upset when GSOs don't pan out, but neither come close to looking like sad mopey sacks out there. Just my dumb opinion.
deadbq03
AG

Not sure the veracity, but I read McKennie violated covid protocals and slept with a teammates sister.

Whether that's true or not, he's definitely showed a very level of professionalism.

I was kinda thinking that the only thing that would make Donovan's comments remotely true would be a personally-linked affair of some kind.
TRM
AG
PatAg said:

Someone linked this earlier in the thread.
It's on Universo in SPanish
https://the18.com/soccer-entertainment/how-to-watch-usmnt-world-cup-qualifiers-tv-streaming-2022

CONCACAF WCQ away games have been much harder to watch in the past, we're actually able to watch this year pretty easily
If you don't get Universo, it should be on Telemundo as well according to my TV guide..
1836er
AG
gougler08 said:

Really ticks me off it won't be broadcast on a regular cable/satellite channel.

I absolutely hate having to use the internet to watch live sporting events under normal circumstances, but especially so when it's not something I can use my TV credentials to sign in to.
Rudyjax
AG

Quote:

To me there's a night and day difference between his overall demeanor and Haaland's
He looked to me exactly like Haaland does when his team makes dumb errors.
Rudyjax
AG
1836er said:

gougler08 said:

I absolutely hate having to use the internet to watch live sporting events under normal circumstances, but especially so when it's not something I can use my TV credentials to sign in to.
The T&T game was only Bein, which at the time no one really had.

This sucks as I won't be home until late and cant just start when I want on Paramount.
1836er
AG

1836er said:

gougler08 said:

The T&T game was only Bein, which at the time no one really had.

This sucks as I won't be home until late and cant just start when I want on Paramount.
Yeah I remember the Bein games last go around. It wasn't the greatest production quality, but at least it was easy to find on DirecTV. I could set my DVR if needs be and watch like normal. I think Bein was one of the channels in the low 600s by the SECN and regional sports networks).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.