***Official USMNT-WCQ Octagonal Thread***

187,306 Views | 3020 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cruzdoggie
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jeffk
AG
I guess it's good we had four keepers on this roster then.

Aston94
AG
Yes, this explains quite a bit.

Stiff back and the cold temps do not sound like a great combination.
jeffk
AG
Not to mention a trans-Atlantic plane flight.
Aston94
AG
PatAg said:

Aston94 said:

Here is weather forecast for our games:

Columbus--High 31, low 26--- slight chance of snow

Hamilton--High 19, low 8---slight chance of snow

Twin Cities---High 17, low 11---slight chance of snow.

Only game I didn't really agree with was Minneapolis after the Canada game. I think there is a risk of our team being worn out from playing in these conditions for three games in a row. Would have preferred that in Nashville, or Dallas, or Portland. Somewhere cool, but not arctic.
Unfortunately, you can't really play a meaningful USMNT game against any Central American team anywhere in DFW (or Texas)
A few WC cycles ago we played Honduras or El Salvador in a WCQ in winter, in Dallas. There was not a large contingent of their fans at that game, the US fans outnumbered them 7-8 to 1.

But even if Texas isn't the option, there are better choices than Minnesota in early February.
Furlock Bones
AG
well, this will allow our better keeper to start then.
akm91
AG
Who was the ESPN anchor that always followed up the "status is day to day" with "aren't us all?"
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Legal Custodian
AG
jeffk said:

Not to mention a trans-Atlantic plane flight.
I'm sorry, but I'm so tired of this. You're either Pacific or Atlantic. None of this trans stuff.
jeffk
AG
This is Indian Ocean erasure.
jeffk
AG
Was that an SVP thing?
fig96
AG
Turner never should have lost the starting spot, especially if Gregg prioritizes match play minutes as he claims to.
Rudyjax
AG
fig96 said:

Turner never should have lost the starting spot, especially if Gregg prioritizes match play minutes as he claims to.
He earned it due to injury.

I think Turner should start, but that's just me.

Why did he bring 4 keepers to camp?

Rudyjax
AG
And why are they playing at the exact same time as the AFC Championship game?
jeffk
AG
Because Canada.
Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

Because Canada.
Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

Because Canada.
I wonder if they would've changed it if the Bills D hadn't choked.
Thunder18
AG
Furlock Bones said:

well, this will allow our better keeper to start then.

wangus12
AG
Aye Davanita said:

And why are they playing at the exact same time as the AFC Championship game?
Best weekend of football was this past one anyways. Ain't nothing gonna top those games
jeffk
AG
I'll start a game thread here in a bit.
fig96
AG
Aye Davanita said:

fig96 said:

And since then Turner has done nothing but be stellar and keep playing for his club, whereas Steffen has only started a handful of matches in the past two years.

Berhalter says it's important to be playing, but apparently it's not.
Rudyjax
AG
fig96 said:

Aye Davanita said:

fig96 said:

And since then Turner has done nothing but be stellar and keep playing for his club, whereas Steffen has only started a handful of matches in the past two years.

Berhalter says it's important to be playing, but apparently it's not.

Ggg is full of it. The player with the most minutes in the top league in the world isn't on the roster.

Not saying he deserves is but he is playing a lot.
PatAg
AG
I would be interested to learn if it is a personal thing between GGG and Brooks, or if the staff has picked up on an undercurrent between Brooks and the rest of the team the last year.

It's something you always have to worry about with coaches, and generally you would expect your media to get to the bottom and expose any BS if it is a coach/player issue.
It could also be completely justified, who knows.

We do know that Brooks dipped and form, but seems to have regained it at club level and still has a unique skill set at CB in our player pool.
PatAg
AG
jeffk said:

This is Indian Ocean erasure.
Don't get me started on this bull**** "Southern Ocean" concept
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Good thing about the cold is now Gregg has to wear more than a stupid tshirt on the sidelines.
Rudyjax
AG
PatAg said:

I would be interested to learn if it is a personal thing between GGG and Brooks, or if the staff has picked up on an undercurrent between Brooks and the rest of the team the last year.

It's something you always have to worry about with coaches, and generally you would expect your media to get to the bottom and expose any BS if it is a coach/player issue.
It could also be completely justified, who knows.

We do know that Brooks dipped and form, but seems to have regained it at club level and still has a unique skill set at CB in our player pool.
I just can't get over the goal he gave up when he stopped his run. I agree there may be some chemistry in the locker room which Ggg would/should never say. He may play well in Germany, but his last few performances have been lacking and a lot was due to effort.
Knucklesammich
To me Brooks has looked uncomfortable, especially on the road in CONCACAF settings. He wants to play soccer in games that are often more street fights than soccer games.

I'm a Brooks fan and have seen him play in Wolfsburg a couple of times over the years, but the player I've seen in Germany is nowhere to be found in high pressure CONCACAF games.

jeffk
AG
Yeah, there's something else going on under the surface with Brooks if I had to speculate. His form in Europe /= his form for the US in CONCACAF games for some reason. Maybe it's a mentality thing? It's really impossible to know unless someone on the inside spills the tea.
theNetSmith
AG
are you (or were you) living in Europe?
Knucklesammich
theNetSmith said:

are you (or were you) living in Europe?

VW was one of my customers in a previous job. Spent 1-2 weeks a month in France &/or Germany for a few years.

Wolfsburg is a great town. Odd to my experience to be able to eat off the street right across from a a giant auto factory.

It was going over there, plus my then really young daughters getting into soccer that re-ignited my interest in it. The accessibility to the sport/opportunities in Germany is awesome.

Also the accessibility to affordable tickets to top matches in just awesome there as well. I watched Wolfsburg play Real Madrid in 2016 in a ECL match for I believe 25 Euros back in 2016. Even more cool though was sitting in a bar watching the away match. The whole town shut down to watch the game it was pretty cool.
fig96
AG
That sounds like an awesome experience, so cool that you got to do that.
tysker
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Good thing about the cold is now Gregg has to wear more than a stupid tshirt on the sidelines.
How expensive will his winter boots be?
deadbq03
AG
tysker said:

Milwaukees Best Light said:

How expensive will his winter boots be?
$800 and they'll look like he ripped them off a hobo on the way in.
theNetSmith
AG
What an awesome opportunity that was for you.

My oldest son spent the spring 2015 semester in Bonn, and the rest of us flew over in May to meet him and travel around a bit. Took a train from London to Birmingham, where we watched Chelsea (my youngest's favorite team at the time) lose to West Brom at The Hawthorns. I can't remember how much I paid for the tickets, but I saw it as a "once in a lifetime" opportunity and managed to get seats on the 2nd row. Several Chelsea subs (including Cuadrado) jogged back and forth within 15' of us when they were warming up to go in. The whole experience was surreal.
Pahdz
It's looking pretty arctic for Wednesday. Can't wait to be there in person!
birdman
It looks obvious to me.

Brooks pouts too much. When things don't go as planned, he just half asses it the rest of match.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.