***Official USMNT-WCQ Octagonal Thread***

192,679 Views | 3020 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cruzdoggie
HowdyTexasAggies
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
fig96 said:

You do know that we don't get to choose which posts get deleted?

If it was flagged, and someone whines about it, especially by someone that knows a mod, it will get deleted.
Aston94
AG
HowdyTexasAggies said:

fig96 said:

If it was flagged, and someone whines about it, especially by someone that knows a mod, it will get deleted.

I don't think yours was flagged. There was a big purge, 2 of my posts were deleted too. I think it was all about Milwaukee Best Lite and his schtick.
Mathguy64
AG
That and aggiephoenix
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Aston94 said:

HowdyTexasAggies said:

fig96 said:

I don't think yours was flagged. There was a big purge, 2 of my posts were deleted too. I think it was all about Milwaukee Best Lite and his schtick.

Makes sense, I didn't get back on here until late today' so I guess I missed the fun.
fig96
AG
HowdyTexasAggies said:

fig96 said:

Not to be overly blunt, but I don't think anyone cared about your post that much
PatAg
AG
Mathguy64 said:

That and aggiephoenix
He was going pretty wild
Rudyjax
AG
PatAg said:

Mathguy64 said:

That and aggiephoenix
He was going pretty wild

He was up late drinking talking to himself and using the Mexican bad word.
KCup17
AG
His little tirade was really out of line.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
fig96 said:

HowdyTexasAggies said:

fig96 said:

Not to be overly blunt, but I don't think anyone cared about your post that much

Likely, but the forum is more fun with more posters that actually care about soccer, yet people get chastised and run off, chided by arrogant experts. Pretty snooty attitude
jeffk
AG
Did someone here try to run you off at some point because something you posted?

Can we be elitist here? I'm sure it happens, but I think most regulars try to avoid it and encourage discussions. Recently we've come down on folks for name-callling and being hateful, but I don't know that anyone has been dismissed or mistreated because of a lack of knowledge about the game. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.
theNetSmith
AG
Kevin the 3-legged dog said:

PatAg said:

Mathguy64 said:

That and aggiephoenix
He was going pretty wild

theNetSmith
AG
jeffk said:

...but I don't know that anyone has been dismissed or mistreated because of a lack of knowledge about the game.
if there's one thing I've learned here, it's that everyone has a referee's knowledge of the laws.
jeffk
AG
Okay, the offside/offsides thing was pretty pedantic.
gougler08
AG
theNetSmith said:

jeffk said:

...but I don't know that anyone has been dismissed or mistreated because of a lack of knowledge about the game.
if there's one thing I've learned here, it's that everyone has a referee's knowledge of the laws.
I mean, I think most of us could ref at CONCACAF level
theNetSmith
AG
but he got the ball!!!
jeffk
AG
I stand by my statement that I could move to Grenada and be the best ref in the nation and make it to a World Cup.
fig96
AG
HowdyTexasAggies said:

fig96 said:

HowdyTexasAggies said:

fig96 said:

Likely, but the forum is more fun with more posters that actually care about soccer, yet people get chastised and run off, chided by arrogant experts. Pretty snooty attitude
You're getting overly offended here. My point is that no one was especially bothered by you posting it.

And while I disagree with your take, it's good to know that at least one person feels that way so we can be aware of it.

But generally speaking, don't be an ass and posters here are more than happy to discuss something they disagree with, I've done it many times. Come in calling people idiots and proclaiming you know better and the response likely won't be great.
fig96
AG
theNetSmith said:

jeffk said:

I bet you'd be surprised by the number of us that are/have been licensed at some point.
theNetSmith
AG
myself included.. I can usually tell who knows what they're talking about
Mathguy64
AG
gougler08 said:

theNetSmith said:

jeffk said:

The CONCACAF pool is in direct contrast to the one for UEFA or CONMEBOL. The guys in UEFA are all working games in domestic leagues and you have at least 6 big ones. Plus Nations league, UCL, EL. It's a huge pool. And they still whittle it down to roughly 20 on the Elite list for the UCL and Euros. CONMEBOL has the big SA leagues plus the big Copa. That's not as deep as Europe but still big.

The reality is other than MLS or LigaMX the CONCACAF guys just have no competitive leagues of merit. The poor guy from Grenada? He's probably doing games at the level of a college D3 or NAIA. He had no chance the other night. The speed of the game, the level of foul, the abilities of the players. All of it was light years above what he's used to. He had no chance.

The first DOGSO is probably something he doesn't call in his games because in his league that distance isn't an OGSO. The second you could see it in his eyes. He blew the whistle because he saw the foul and then went "oh **** what have I done? It's a red card and I can't do that." So he took forever and got input from everyone in the stadium and bailed out. The missed foul on Arriola late in the half he either never saw or thought it was in the area and after miss 1 and 2 he couldn't bring himself to a PK for that.

He was constantly out of position to see fouls and got in the way several times. That's just not being used to the level and skill of the players. His games he's not in the way because the players aren't that good.

I felt for him. He was in the deep end of the pool.
gougler08
AG
Mathguy64 said:

gougler08 said:

theNetSmith said:

jeffk said:

The CONCACAF pool is in direct contrast to the one for UEFA or CONMEBOL. The guys in UEFA are all working games in domestic leagues and you have at least 6 big ones. Plus Nations league, UCL, EL. It's a huge pool. And they still whittle it down to roughly 20 on the Elite list for the UCL and Euros. CONMEBOL has the big SA leagues plus the big Copa. That's not as deep as Europe but still big.

The reality is other than MLS or LigaMX the CONCACAF guys just have no competitive leagues of merit. The poor guy from Grenada? He's probably doing games at the level of a college D3 or NAIA. He had no chance the other night. The speed of the game, the level of foul, the abilities of the players. All of it was light years above what he's used to. He had no chance.

The first DOGSO is probably something he doesn't call in his games because in his league that distance isn't an OGSO. The second you could see it in his eyes. He blew the whistle because he saw the foul and then went "oh **** what have I done? It's a red card and I can't do that." So he took forever and got input from everyone in the stadium and bailed out. The missed foul on Arriola late in the half he either never saw or thought it was in the area and after miss 1 and 2 he couldn't bring himself to a PK for that.

He was constantly out of position to see fouls and got in the way several times. That's just not being used to the level and skill of the players. His games he's not in the way because the players aren't that good.

Yeah I feel bad for the guys until they are screwing the US over
jeffk
AG
What goes into selecting the crews for CONCACAF matches? Are they at some level trying to make sure each member nation gets a crew into a game each cycle?
oh no
AG
when do we get a crew from St. Kitts or Aruba?
oh no
AG
why don't they make a rule that all WCQ Octagaonal matches be held in neutral countries not in the EIGHT?

- Turks & Caicos
- Saint Lucia
- Aruba
- Bahamas
- Barbados
- British VI
- Caymen Islands
- US VI
Rudyjax
AG
Mathguy64 said:

gougler08 said:

theNetSmith said:

jeffk said:

Agreed. Going from 1 level to a higher level it's like the game is in fast fast forward.
Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

Okay, the offside/offsides thing was pretty pedantic.

Only an ass would correct someone on that.
KCup17
AG
Mathguy64 said:

gougler08 said:

theNetSmith said:

jeffk said:

If you are new to the board let me introduce you to our resident expert.

However this doesn't mean that we do not disagree with him on occasion.
Mathguy64
AG
jeffk said:

What goes into selecting the crews for CONCACAF matches? Are they at some level trying to make sure each member nation gets a crew into a game each cycle?

They are all FIFA level officials. So the only requirement is that they have that badge. Not every nation has someone on that list but if they do yes CONCACAF is going to try and work people in. The Grenada guy did one Gold Cup game I think. It didn't go well.

ETA it's complicated and very political. Remember that in the eyes of CONCACAF everyone is equal and it's all about spreading money and prestige.
Mathguy64
AG
The FIFA badge is nation dependent. The National federations make their own nominations and you only get so many. As long as they can pass the fitness test they can nominate who they want.

USSF is stupid. Last I looked they didn't fill their nomination list. A couple of years ago they only had 6 of 10 spots filled on the mens side. That's criminal. You can't get people trained and ready if they aren't on the list to start with.
jeffk
AG
Has anyone ever tried to explain why USSF doesn't fill all ten spots?
Mathguy64
AG
jeffk said:

Has anyone ever tried to explain why USSF doesn't fill all ten spots?

Not that I know. Maybe Jessexy would know.
jeffk
AG
Panama fans are saying mean things too.

The Pilot
AG

PatAg said:

Mathguy64 said:

That and aggiephoenix
He was going pretty wild

I should have just let him continue jabbering to himself but calling that a bad PK was just too much.
Rudyjax
AG
The Pilot said:

PatAg said:

Mathguy64 said:

That and aggiephoenix
He was going pretty wild

I should have just let him continue jabbering to himself but calling that a bad PK was just too much.

Next time he gets on a roll we should just let him talk to himself all night.
PatAg
AG
The Pilot said:

PatAg said:

Mathguy64 said:

That and aggiephoenix
He was going pretty wild

It was funny when the replay of the call was linked, and you watch the Mexican player just get his leg get completely taken out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.