***Official USMNT-WCQ Octagonal Thread***

182,106 Views | 3020 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by cruzdoggie
Aston94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone that expected us to go down to El Salvador with this young group of players and not have a few struggles and issues just has not watched CONCACAF over the years.

Look at the other results in the Octagon and you see how difficult this process will be. Tieing road games and winning at home is the recipe for success. That would yield 28 points (2 points per game) which would most assuredly finish top of the group.

At the top of this thread I predicted we would go 1-0-2 in this first three games, and I still stand by that.

Winning on the road in Central America is very, very difficult, and this young team has to grow and mature. You have Pulisic on the field yesterday instead of Konrad and we would have likely scored a couple of goals, but a draw is a good result, and you just have to move on to a game they need to win against Canada.
KCup17
AG
I'm going to be honest, I think Honduras made Canada look toothless. Only had 3 shots on goal...
I think we can handle them on Sunday. Add Pulisic into the mix and we can really do some damage.
PatAg
AG
I'm not convinced putting Pulisic in the lineup for Konrad would have made for a different result. He has struggled to find the ball just like Reyna and Konrad did last night, which is generally created by issues further back on the field...and just the overall tactics Greggg is going with.

Our central midfield needs to have a bigger impact on the game, which will then start to allow us to find our wingers in open space. There was mention of it during the game thread, but Dest was getting torched and it was making Adams basically have to baby sit him.
In theory Adams/McKennie are pressing beast, and should be turning the other team over in opportune spots to immediately transition into the attacking third. If Adams is having to shade deep and to the left to cover for Dest, then McKennie has to drop further back to fill Adams void. Then you are basically left with the other center mid, Aaronson in this case, also playing further back where he isnt as effective.

I agree with everyone else, we need to start playing Dest at his best position Right back. If he still struggles, then you can deal with benching him until his form improves. I don't care if our left back is not as talented going forward, and honestly if we are playing Reyna at left wing you dont need your left back to be an attacking God.

Personally, I would rather play our best players are their best positions than play people out of position in an attempt to get your top 11 players (talent wise) on the pitch.
Aston94
AG
I don't agree with your assessment about getting our top players involved. I think Reyna, Konrad and Sargent had enough of the ball last night, we just lacked quality in the final third, which is where Pulisic would have helped.

Dest was bad last night. I agree that he needs to play on the right and use Robinson on the left. Dest has to learn to play within the roles on the team, so I don't know if switching sides will do that, but he and Ream on the left side of defense is a recipe for disaster (although Ream did well lest night)..

jeffk
AG
Oh, and this may be controversial, but I don't need to see Sargent start up top the next two games. Give someone else a shot and let him come in as a sub.
oh no
AG
the old "11 best" vs "best 11" debate. I agree. It seems that Greggg thinks Dest at 3, even though he's our best 2, is better at 3 than Antonee, Vines, Ream, Villafana, or anyone else who has been brought up at 3 in recent years, while Yedlin, Cannon, Shaq are very good 2s if you move Dest over there. Been waiting for a while for Antonee to step up so Dest can play 2 instead of 3. I think he's ready and if we start Antonee and Sergino at 3 and 2, it's our best 11 at this point.

You want a fullback to be fit and fast and transition from D to A and A to D quickly. You want them making overlapping runs, end line to end line. If they go deep and wide and get a cross off, great... problem with Dest, whether he's at 2 or 3, is he's not just overlapping at the right times and crossing it, he's attempting to dribble through everyone into the box, losing the ball, and putting a lot of pressure on Ream, Robinson, and Turner to kill the counters. That added pressure shouldn't have been necessary.
PatAg
AG
TO go with that, if we are pushing Dest to left (because in theory he CAN play there) then the player who takes his spot at right back needs to impact the game in a positive way. Yedlin has no real ability going foward, can't possess and progress the ball.
PatAg
AG
Aston94 said:

I don't agree with your assessment about getting our top players involved. I think Reyna, Konrad and Sargent had enough of the ball last night, we just lacked quality in the final third, which is where Pulisic would have helped.

Dest was bad last night. I agree that he needs to play on the right and use Robinson on the left. Dest has to learn to play within the roles on the team, so I don't know if switching sides will do that, but he and Ream on the left side of defense is a recipe for disaster (although Ream did well lest night)..

In theory Pulisic is definitely more lethal than Konrad. In practice, at least lately, he has not imposed his will on the game. Which I still think just goes back more to how Greggg wants the team to play. Just my opinion.

Im looking forward to seeing Pulisic, Reyna, Adams, McKennie all playing at the same time on Sunday.
boogieman
AG

TheMasterplan
boogieman said:

That is a mint meme. Great work.

A tie is like kissing your sister.
MookieBlaylock
AG
We must be phenomenal in small cone passing drills bc that is all this offense is

Zero goal scorers w/o Puli
oh no
AG
Rudyjax
AG
Love it. Not sure if he got if from haaland or if vice versa , but both get pissed any time there is a GSO they don't score.
Aston94
AG
Today in the Octagon:

Jamaica v. Panama (5pm-Kingston, Paramount+)

El Salvador v Honduras (6pm-San Salvador, Paramount +)

Costa Rica v. Mexico (6pm-San Jose, Telemundo and Paramount+)

USA v. Canada (7pm-Nashville, FS1)

Let's do this!!!
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Kevin the 3-legged dog said:

BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

DeangeloVickers said:

New guys
New coach
3-4 years of being pissed off and sad

Here we go this is the moment....fired up...

And really nothing except a lot of turnovers.....it's a weird place to play but Mexico scratched out a result...we're supposed to be a Top 10 team now...

And now a whole lot of PTSD
We will NEVER win with this coach. In my opinion.
Except we won the Nations league and Gold Cup with him.
And didn't qualify for the one that matters !
Gordo14
Canada is a fake country
Rudyjax
AG

DeangeloVickers said:

New guys
New coach

And really nothing except a lot of turnovers.....it's a weird place to play but Mexico scratched out a result...we're supposed to be a Top 10 team now...

He wasn't the coach then.

Not sure your point.
fig96
AG

DeangeloVickers said:

New guys
New coach

He wasn't the coach then.

Not sure your point.
Beat me to it, but that's literally why we changed coaches.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
No Reyna or Weah tonight. Any word on Pulisic?
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Rudyjax
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

No Reyna or Weah tonight. Any word on Pulisic?

No Reyna?? What happened? In the car driving from CS.
TamuKid
AG
From what I can tell:

Gio - strained hammy (likely out)
Weah - already out (thigh)
Puli - probably a go (Covid/fitness)

Given that, I'd like to see:

Puli - Pefok - Aaronson (or Roldan)
McKennie - Lletget
Adams
Antonee - brooks - Miles - Dest
Legal Custodian
AG
I wouldn't mind Acosta getting the nod
Legal Custodian
TamuKid
AG
In place of Lletget in that lineup? I wouldn't mind that either just think Lletget gives a little better connection to the attack.
wangus12
AG
PatAg
AG
1 MORE HOUR, LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOO
PatAg
AG
wangus12 said:

Man...adams acosta lletget centrally is going to really lack for attacking creativity from that part of the field
Excited for Dest to get a game in his natural position, big opportunity for him to show his form
PatAg
AG
Apparently McKennie wasnt on the team bus that went to the stadium.
"violating team policy" I assume means he went out , or was out too late or something
TamuKid
AG
I like the lineup a lot. If McKennie is healthy, I'd like him in place of one of Acosta/Lletget. But this is a good lineup for Canada.
Rudyjax
AG
PatAg said:

Suspended for violating team rules.

Wtf is Roldan wearing 10?
wangus12
AG
wangus12
AG

PatAg said:

Pulisic is listed as #10
PatAg
AG
Young kids are gonna do young kid things I guess.
Rudyjax
AG
wangus12 said:

PatAg said:

Pulisic is listed as #10

I saw something that had him a 0.
PatAg
AG
I read that Gio has a strained hamstring and is out for tonight and the next game. That sucks
Rudyjax
AG
PatAg said:

I read that Gio has a strained hamstring and is out for tonight and the next game. That sucks

Yep. Thought that was common knowledge at this point.

I mean or I would've posted it for you.

This sucks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.