***Official USMNT-WCQ Octagonal Thread***

187,313 Views | 3020 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cruzdoggie
oh no
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
all but guarantees either Pefok or Sargent included in the squad for the two match days in November.
Rudyjax
AG
Umm. How's the ankle Christian?

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZM8ADtYm2/
TamuKid
AG
Dest missed a sitter in El Classico. He's gotta score there. Especially if you're playing at RW.
PatAg
AG
TamuKid said:

Dest missed a sitter in El Classico. He's gotta score there. Especially if you're playing at RW.
Had a nice assist, but this is the internet and we only talk about bad things.
jeffk
AG
I'm going to side with whichever of you makes the best meme about his performance.
TamuKid
AG
PatAg said:

TamuKid said:

Had a nice assist, but this is the internet and we only talk about bad things.

Or… I posted about his bad miss during the game… which was before his assist about 50 minutes later.

And absolutely agreed… his assist was high quality. A very nice play by Dest. Overall he had a pretty good game. Had a bad back pass… but then he recovered nicely on it. But he's got to bag the easy goal especially when playing at the wing where it's expected of him. Missing it, in part, got him moved back to RB. Has to make the most of his chances on a young, lost, and transforming Bara squad.
jeffk
AG
Pulisic is reportedly back in full training with Chelsea today. Next international window runs from Nov. 8-16. Gives him like a week and a half until he'd have to report to USMNT camp. What are the odds he gets called/released to go?
Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

Pulisic is reportedly back in full training with Chelsea today. Next international window runs from Nov. 8-16. Gives him like a week and a half until he'd have to report to USMNT camp. What are the odds he gets called/released to go?
Would love to see him play for the US, but he needs to find time on Chelsea.
deadbq03
AG
I could see a situation where he gets released with an understanding that his minutes need to be limited.

Could be win-win for both club and country if he can use that time to get some match fitness, but perhaps only as a super sub off the bench.
jeffk
AG
For the record, I don't think he'll be called in. Him being not a full strength and out of form make it more likely that we'd only use him sparingly and CFC probably don't want to risk him getting reinjured.
akm91
AG
I tend to side with deadbq03 that he gets called in with the "understanding" that his limits are limited. Would be a great off the bench "solution" in the 2nd half if we need a spark against el tri.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Rudyjax
AG
akm91 said:

I tend to side with deadbq03 that he gets called in with the "understanding" that his limits are limited. Would be a great off the bench "solution" in the 2nd half if we need a spark against el tri.

That would actually be ideal. I still don't think Chelsea will release him.
jeffk
AG
I could see that, but travel and quarantine and even game days can mean missed rehab/training time. I wouldn't be stunned if he does get called in, I'm just leaning the other way today.
jeffk
AG
Also, wow:

oh no
AG
i don't know if Greggg gets Pulisic for the two match days in November, but it sure was nice to open up the tweeeter app and see that he's back training with Chelsea.
oh no
AG
let's go get 3 away points and a bunch of away goals regardless
jeffk
AG
Definitely. I wonder how having no fans will affect the mentality of the Jamaican team.
fig96
AG
Kevin the 3-legged dog said:

jeffk said:

He needs to find time somewhere else.
oh no
AG
i think the closed door match makes it weird for both teams to create the energy expected of a WCQ match.. not having your home fans for your home WCQ has to hurt them more though. Fire them up, Greggg. Create some intensity and energy. No matter how quiet it is on the pitch, Qatar is in sight. Go get it. Break their will. Crush their spirit.
Rudyjax
AG
fig96 said:

jeffk said:

So he should stop trying to get minutes at Chelsea?
oh no
AG
fig96 said:

jeffk said:

Chelsea might take care of that for him... (i'd love to see his direct style and pace in a system like Klopp's), but I really think with other injuries at Chelsea, and with a good string of luck on the injury front, he should still have a chance to establish himself as a really important player at Chelsea this season. He won't grab a lot of minutes right away coming off this ankle / foot knock, but I don't think Hudson-Odoi has been lighting the world on fire at wing in his place, and Ziyech missed about 3-4 great chances in a match at the other wing spot last week--- CP10's opportunity should be given.

fig96
AG

fig96 said:

jeffk said:

Yes, that's exactly what I meant *insert rolling eye gif here*

Tuchel doesn't seem to view his as first choice despite his productivity when he's played, I'd like to see him move to a club where he can get more playing time.
fig96
AG
I'd like to see it, just disappointed at his lack of opportunities there so far.
oh no
AG
While managers do love his pace and energy as supersub, his lack of starting 11 trust wasn't Super Frank's fault nor is it Tuchel's fault at Chelsea. He needs to stay healthy.

Rudyjax
AG
fig96 said:

fig96 said:

jeffk said:

Tuchel doesn't seem to view his as first choice despite his productivity when he's played, I'd like to see him move to a club where he can get more playing time.

I agree Tuchel sees him as a super sub, but you can't argue with his results.
Aston94
AG
Tuechel will allow him to go play for USMNT if fit because he needs matches to get back into form, and getting matches with Chelsea squad will be difficult.

You cannot be afraid of a player getting injured. Whether he is playing in US against Mex or on a B team game in London, risk of injury is still there.
jeffk
AG
I guess my questions for CFC is how fit is fit enough? He may be back in training but not ready for full-team minutes. And if they're really wanting to bring him along slowly to full fitness, sending him to US camp might disrupt those plans. No way to really know until the rosters are announced, but it's fun to speculate.
JJxvi
AG
Christian Pulisic has been available for Chelsea for a total of two games.

He came on as a sub in the European Super Cup in a midweek match.

Then he started the EPL opener and scored a goal that weekend.

Then he got COVID and missed two matches and only came back for the USA games in the international break after those two games. Then he got hurt in the Honduras game and has been hurt since then.

He was a starter for the only real match he was available for. If Chelsea are not exactly enthused by Christian Pulisic right now, its for the same reason USA fans are not, because he constantly cant play.
oh no
AG
at the same time, Lukaku and Warner are also injured right now at center forward. at wing, Hudson-Odoi and Ziyech haven't been impressive... at all... they even brought Barkley back out at winger for their most recent cup match and as a sub for Odoi in their last EPL match.. Mount is good on the wing, can also play central mf, but if CP10 is healthy, he deserves to be in the squad as soon as this weekend. He can sub for Odoi at first, and have a chance to earn back trust to be in their best 11 at some point this year.. He just needs to stay healthy.
fig96
AG

fig96 said:

fig96 said:

jeffk said:

I don't have any real opinion on Tuchel, just want to see CP playing.
Aston94
AG
jeffk said:

I guess my questions for CFC is how fit is fit enough? He may be back in training but not ready for full-team minutes. And if they're really wanting to bring him along slowly to full fitness, sending him to US camp might disrupt those plans. No way to really know until the rosters are announced, but it's fun to speculate.
Well that is a different question, is he fit or not? If he isn't then they might not send him at all. But I have no idea on that. Assuming he is fully fit they would no doubt send him.
fig96
AG
Fair, he's been out more than I realized.
Rudyjax
AG
fig96 said:

fig96 said:

fig96 said:

jeffk said:

I don't have any real opinion on Tuchel, just want to see CP playing.
Me too. And it's probably a reason why he needs to move on.
JJxvi
AG
Chelsea's starters that play Christian's position in the attacking midfield are Mount and Havertz. Pulisic was potentially ahead of Havertz (and at least even with) before the illness and injury. Ziyech is the other player that essentially plays the same position. But to my memory I'm not sure that Ziyech has ever really been picked over Pulisic when there was a choice between the two.

Hudson-Odoi and Werner have played in those roles, but really have been kind of a hybrid rather than true replacements with Werner more of a forward, and Hudson-Odoi more a pure wide player (often plays at wingback or right midfield behind the attackers).
jeffk
AG
CFC doesn't deserve any good things including CP.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.