***Official USMNT-WCQ Octagonal Thread***

187,319 Views | 3020 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cruzdoggie
ChipFTAC01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Austin game is sold out.
KCup17
AG
Julian Araujo switches allegiances to Mex...
wangus12
AG
Pretty sure that news came out last month that he was filing for the switch
jeffk
AG
It did. And I'm not too torn up about it. Would have been nice to have around, but we're fine without him.
Rudyjax
AG
No Brooks?

KCup17
AG
He did but FIFA officially approved it today.
TamuKid
AG
Kevin the 3-legged dog said:

No Brooks?

Can you get Miazga here in time?
oh no
AG
I hope they can get Miazga
TamuKid
AG
The silver lining is that it means we definitely get to see a lot of Richards/M. Robinson together... which I am looking forward to.
akm91
AG
KCup17 said:

Julian Araujo switches allegiances to Mex...
Not surprising with the saga that's been running since the summer. On the grand scheme of things, Pepi was a much bigger get than Araujo due to the need at the #9 position. It's not saying I wouldn't want Araujo to play for USMNT but if you had to choose between the two, I would suspect 99% would choose Pepi.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
deadbq03
AG
Not gonna lie, I'm actually not upset about Brooks not coming.

… but the fact that I'm not upset makes me sad.
oh no
AG
Omar Gonzales or Geoff Cameron available?
KCup17
AG
Agree 100%. It's hard for me to even see Araujo fitting into the Mexico team in anything other than the Gold Cup roster. Wasn't ever really impressed with him.
jeffk
AG
Some FYI about kickoff times:

akm91
AG
Hope he doesn't turn out to be another Jonathan Gonzalez.
gougler08
AG
jeffk said:

Some FYI about kickoff times:

Way better than 9pm central
jeffk
AG
Amen (he said from ET).
HotardRat
AG
Is McKinnie still playing? Adams?
jeffk
AG
They're both on the squad, yes.
gougler08
AG
jeffk said:

Amen (he said from ET).
It was the worst part of living on the east coast...never could make it up for Sunday/Monday night football or other later starts for sports
deadbq03
AG
Adams played the full 90 this past weekend after being out with injury the week prior. So he should be good to go.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Was looking at the list of all Americans by apprances an was shocked to see that Wondo only has 35 caps. Would have sworn it was twice tat many.
akm91
AG
Think Berhalter will start Richards against Jamaica? He is inexperience in international level (senior) but it's a home game so the CONCACAAF experience will be minimal. Richard's athleticism would definitely be a plus against the Mikhail Antonio. Did Jamaica call in Leon Bailey or is he still injured?
TamuKid
AG
No Bailey for Jamaica.

I'd imagine GGG will either go Zimm/Robinson or Richards/Robinson.
Zimm/Robinson gives us two really solid, dangerous targets on set pieces.
oh no
AG
Not expecting McKenzie/Robinson ?
jeffk
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
jeffk said:

He should probably be an option at the WC but he's not been good lately. I hate that Omar Gonzalez and Jurgen screwed him out of a WC opportunity when he was at his best.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
akm91 said:

Think Berhalter will start Richards against Jamaica? He is inexperience in international level (senior) but it's a home game so the CONCACAAF experience will be minimal. Richard's athleticism would definitely be a plus against the Mikhail Antonio. Did Jamaica call in Leon Bailey or is he still injured?
If he can play well in the Bundesliga, he should be able to handle Jamaica with no issues.
deadbq03
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

jeffk said:

He should probably be an option at the WC but he's not been good lately. I hate that Omar Gonzalez and Jurgen screwed him out of a WC opportunity when he was at his best.
He plays very well in Bundesliga.

Sadly, I think his GAD is broken when it comes to USMNT.

Edit to add: I think he'd play lights out in a World Cup. But I think he's sick of CONCACAF and it shows in his lazy play. He's not going to sacrifice his body for this ****show. I don't like it, but honestly if I were in his shoes, I'd be tempted to do the same.

I can't find it right now but there was an interesting interview with Tyler Adams before the last cycle where he talked about how every international break he's teased by his teammates about the caliber of teams the USMNT will be facing in the break compared to those in Europe.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
I think that is correct. I'm sure there is plenty of BS that takes place in other conferences but it seems that these European players might feel that they are above playing teams like that. Honestly, some of them might not have the "skills" to put up with it either. I'm not worried about guys like Hoppe and McKennie playing the CONCACAF game.

I also recognize that I might be overplaying the "CONCACAF" stuff and making a bigger deal about it than it really is.
aggiephoenix02
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

I also recognize that I might be overplaying the "CONCACAF" stuff and making a bigger deal about it than it really is.
I don't think you are, CONCACAF is brutal. The only other region that would compare is Africa. The African Cup of Nations is pretty rough too...
oh no
AG
I mean, guys like John Brooks grew up in Europe and now he gets to go on Intl "break" to visit places like San Salvador, Honduras, Trinidad, etc. …and he gets to go from playing with and against some very technical players and sound tactics to technical players with chaotic mayhem, dirty cheap shots, and even more feigned injuries and dives than he sees in Europe. What's not to get excited about?
deadbq03
AG
It's the painful paradox:

We need guys with significant MLS experience to help us get past CONCACAF, because they know how to play that way and they don't have to deign to do so.

But we absolutely need our most talented players for the World Cup, and many of them spent their entire professional careers in Europe.

What's encouraging is that we're getting better at having both. We used to have a whole lot of players who were either-or. We had dual-nationals who barely sniffed the States and MLS guys who rarely (and barely) sniffed Europe. But now we're getting to point that MLS is becoming a pathway to Europe, and I think those guys (Adams, Aaronson, etc) are going to be strengths in both competitions.
Aston94
AG
Here we go!!!!

Current Standings:

Country Points
1. Mexico 7
2. Canada 5
3. United States 5
4. Panama 5
5. Costa Rica 2
6. Honduras 2
7. El Salvador 2
8. Jamaica 1

USMNT ROSTER:
GOALKEEPERS (3): Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 9/0), Zack Steffen (Manchester City/ENG; 23/0), Matt Turner (New England Revolution; 10/0)
DEFENDERS (10): George Bello (Atlanta United; 4/0), Sergino Dest (Barcelona/ESP; 13/1), Mark McKenzie (Genk/BEL; 7/0), Shaq Moore (Tenerife/ESP; 11/1), Chris Richards (Hoffenheim/GER; 3/0), Antonee Robinson (Fulham/ENG; 15/1), Miles Robinson (Atlanta United; 12/2), DeAndre Yedlin (Galatasaray/TUR; 67/0), Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC; 17/2)
MIDFIELDERS (8): Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids; 40/2), Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig/GER; 17/1), Gianluca Busio (Venezia/ITA; 6/0), Luca de la Torre (Heracles/NED: 3/0), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 32/8), Weston McKennie (Juventus/ITA; 25/7), Yunus Musah (Valencia/ESP; 6/0), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders; 28/0)
FORWARDS (6): Brenden Aaronson (Red Bull Salzburg/AUT; 10/5), Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 8/0), Matthew Hoppe (Mallorca/ESP; 5/1), Ricardo Pepi (FC Dallas; 1/1), Tim Weah (Lille/FRA; 13/1), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew; 62/14)
Key missing players: Christian Pulisic, Gio Reyna, John Brooks, Tim Ream

Second Set of Games for US:

This set of games is where the U.S. needs to open a gap over the pack, as they play arguably several of the weaker teams in the Octagonal and get 2 of the three matches at home.

Oct. 7 vs. Jamaica (@ Austin) (#50 World Ranking, #4 CONCACAF). Jamaica challenged the US in the quarterfinals of the Gold Cup before a late goal from Matt Hoppe sent the US through. It will be a much different squad the Reggae Boyz face in Austin, and a three point outcome would be very much in need. But the US needs to be careful, this Jamaica roster has a lot of talent up top, and is very capable of sitting back and counter-attacking.

Jamaica Roster:
Sitting second on the English Premier League scoring charts with five goals this season, West Ham United striker Michail Antonio headlines the list of English-based players on the roster. He's joined by goalkeeper Dillon Barnes (Queens Park Rangers), defenders Ethan Pinnock (Brentford), Liam Moore (Reading), midfielder Daniel Johnson (Preston North End) and forwards Bobby Decordova-Reid (Fulham), Andre Gray (Queens Park Rangers) and Jamal Lowe (AFC Bournemouth).

Other overseas-based players include defender Damion Lowe (Al-Ittihad, Egypt), midfielders Kemar Roofe (Rangers, Scotland) and Tyreek Magee (Eupen, Belgium) and forward Shamar Nicholson (Charleroi, Belgium), who has scored both of Jamaica's goals in the Octagonal.

The Philadelphia Union is the most represented MLS squad with two players - goalkeeper Andre Blake and defender Alvas Powell. The USL Championship has two players - midfielder Devon Williams (Miami FC) and forward Junior Flemmings (Birmingham Legion). Besides the Union duo, Jamaica also boasts players from the LA Galaxy (defender Oniel Fisher), Toronto FC (defender Kemar Lawrence) and (Vancouver Whitecaps FC) Javain Brown.

Backup goalkeeper Dennis Taylor and defender Je-Vaughn Watson are the only two domestic-based players, playing for Humble Lions F.C. of the Jamaica National Premier League. Defender Adrian Mariappa, who last played for Bristol City (England) is unattached.

Projected US Line-up:

___________________________Steffen___________________________

Dest-----------------M. Robinson-------------McKenzie----------------A. Robinson

----------------------Adams------------------------------------Acosta --------------------

Weah------------------------------- McKennie-------------------------------Aaronson

---------------------------------------Pepi----------------------------------------------------

Oct. 10 - at Panama (#74 World Ranking, #8 CONCACAF). Panama are a bit of a team on the rebuild after their qualification for the World Cup in 2018 when Los Canaleros were surprise World Cup qualifiers at the Americans' expense. The US has fared better in Panama over the years than in other Central American stops, going 3-0-2 in Panama in WCQ. Will be interesting to see how deep Berhalter goes in his roster, but I could see another Kellyn Acosta type defensive battle here.

Will provide Panama Roster closer to match.

Oct. 13 - vs. Costa Rica (@Columbus) (#44 World Ranking, #3 CONCACAF) The last home qualifier against Los Ticos was a disastrous 2-0 loss at Red Bull Arena in Sept. 2017 that cost Bruce Arena's men decisive points. Costa Rica is not the same team they once were, and again this third game in a set of three is where the US depth should shine though. Costa Rica will travel to Honduras and play El Salvador at home before the trip to Columbus.

Will provide Ticos roster closer to game.

See US finishing these three games 2-0-1 (7 points) for a total of 12 points.
oh no
AG
Thanks for that post.

I had no idea Jamaica had that much quality on the roster. Thought they just had 3-4 in England.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.