***Official USMNT-WCQ Octagonal Thread***

187,336 Views | 3020 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cruzdoggie
Iowaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This was pretty cool, but it may have been buried in another thread somewhere.

Pahdz
That's pretty damn awesome
PatAg
AG
gougler08 said:

Well selfishly I have HBO max so I'll survive but man this plan + NBCs shutdown of NBC Sports just to push more premier league games to peacock is so short sighted and dumb
We will see what their plan actually is, but this seems like a mistake on the USSF's part. Im sure they paid the most money, but depending on what other offers there were, this surely cant be the way to reach the most largest audience.
Dre_00
Aston94 said:

Dre_00 said:

wangus12 said:

Aston94 said:

tysker said:

Ya, and there's so much bitterness and history there that we'll never comprehend. I legitimately feel bad for the players, coaches, etc.
I feel worse for the Ukrainians that are living in subway stops right now, huddling over their kids trying to keep them safe.

Players and coaches need to put pressure on their government. Public protests from within will put an end to Putin's reign.
Problem is internal public protests at least currently is landing said protestors in the gulag. And its not the "oh sure, have a friend bail you out in the morning" kind of gulag that Russia deals with
Exactly this. It's naive to say public protests are enough to put an end to Putin. Barring a military coup (which seems unlikely) Putin know as long as he has the elites, he has the country. Tens or even hundreds of thousands protesting won't change that.

And to keep this more soccer related, I absolutely agree with banning Russia from the WC. I absolutely agree that FIFA is a horrible arbiter of morality and justice. And I absolutely agree that other countries should be subjected to a similar type of scrutiny.
I don't want to get into a big argument about this, but I think it is naive of you to think that public sentiment in Russia won't have an impact on the war with Ukraine. Russian athletes around the world opposing the war have real consequences at home.

The fact that Russia was already willing to discuss terms of a cease fire today shows how all the pressures on Putin together can help end the war. The oligarchs who control the teams have a lot of power...and Putin's ear.

I didn't say it won't have an impact. I said it wouldn't put an end to Putin's reign (which is what you said as a start). The only consequences that public sentiment and athletes have on Putin are indirect. Which is to say that if the elites are affected sufficiently by them then Putin could be. But there is absolutely no guarantee they will be even if millions of Russians protest. Many an autocrat has survived for decades in spite of declining public sentiment and protests specifically because they maintained control of the elites (and the military...which in most cases at a leadership level is synonymous or a smaller circle within the elites) and they, along with the elites/military, were willing to crush any semblance of opposition and do so with extreme violence if necessary. There are many examples of this today in other countries. Half my family comes from a country ruled by an autocrat (well, a theocrat...which is just a different flavor of autocrat).

And I don't buy that Putin was negotiating in good faith yesterday or with any willingness to compromise. There is absolutely 0 chance that his position has appreciably changed in 5 days. Not after literally decades of preparing his economy (or trying to prepare his economy) for Western sanctions. Not after literally years of planning his New Russia vision. Not after months of planning this specific phase of it.
Dre_00
While the move to HBO Max sounds like a massive negative, if it leads to some Curb Your Enthusiasm/USMNT crossover content, I would get behind it.
gougler08
AG
PatAg said:

gougler08 said:

Well selfishly I have HBO max so I'll survive but man this plan + NBCs shutdown of NBC Sports just to push more premier league games to peacock is so short sighted and dumb
We will see what their plan actually is, but this seems like a mistake on the USSF's part. Im sure they paid the most money, but depending on what other offers there were, this surely cant be the way to reach the most largest audience.

Oh I'm sure it's the most money short term, but I think slows growth and so the long term investment doesn't make the most sense, but what do I know
aggiephoenix02
I agree.

But we all know the best way to grow an audience is to kick ass in the World Cup… 1994, 2002, 2010

Edit:
This message brought to you by the Entertainment Board Sneaker Thread Player Haterz Club President.
tysker
AG
and a few epic reaction videos dont hurt

Aston94
AG
Dre_00 said:

Aston94 said:

Dre_00 said:

wangus12 said:

Aston94 said:

tysker said:

Ya, and there's so much bitterness and history there that we'll never comprehend. I legitimately feel bad for the players, coaches, etc.
I feel worse for the Ukrainians that are living in subway stops right now, huddling over their kids trying to keep them safe.

Players and coaches need to put pressure on their government. Public protests from within will put an end to Putin's reign.
Problem is internal public protests at least currently is landing said protestors in the gulag. And its not the "oh sure, have a friend bail you out in the morning" kind of gulag that Russia deals with
Exactly this. It's naive to say public protests are enough to put an end to Putin. Barring a military coup (which seems unlikely) Putin know as long as he has the elites, he has the country. Tens or even hundreds of thousands protesting won't change that.

And to keep this more soccer related, I absolutely agree with banning Russia from the WC. I absolutely agree that FIFA is a horrible arbiter of morality and justice. And I absolutely agree that other countries should be subjected to a similar type of scrutiny.
I don't want to get into a big argument about this, but I think it is naive of you to think that public sentiment in Russia won't have an impact on the war with Ukraine. Russian athletes around the world opposing the war have real consequences at home.

The fact that Russia was already willing to discuss terms of a cease fire today shows how all the pressures on Putin together can help end the war. The oligarchs who control the teams have a lot of power...and Putin's ear.

I didn't say it won't have an impact. I said it wouldn't put an end to Putin's reign (which is what you said as a start). The only consequences that public sentiment and athletes have on Putin are indirect. Which is to say that if the elites are affected sufficiently by them then Putin could be. But there is absolutely no guarantee they will be even if millions of Russians protest. Many an autocrat has survived for decades in spite of declining public sentiment and protests specifically because they maintained control of the elites (and the military...which in most cases at a leadership level is synonymous or a smaller circle within the elites) and they, along with the elites/military, were willing to crush any semblance of opposition and do so with extreme violence if necessary. There are many examples of this today in other countries. Half my family comes from a country ruled by an autocrat (well, a theocrat...which is just a different flavor of autocrat).

And I don't buy that Putin was negotiating in good faith yesterday or with any willingness to compromise. There is absolutely 0 chance that his position has appreciably changed in 5 days. Not after literally decades of preparing his economy (or trying to prepare his economy) for Western sanctions. Not after literally years of planning his New Russia vision. Not after months of planning this specific phase of it.
Russia is in an odd position where it is profiting from being a part of the global economy. Once you put the infrastructure in place to benefit from the world economy, you need to stay a player in that economy, or all the infrastructure is at risk, and those that profited from entering the market risk losing it all.

Men like Roman Abramovich are what it will take to end Putin's reign, and getting to them is through the public outcry and protest.
PatAg
AG
gougler08 said:

PatAg said:

gougler08 said:

Oh I'm sure it's the most money short term, but I think slows growth and so the long term investment doesn't make the most sense, but what do I know
How readily accessible is TNT/TBS anyways?

This **** should be shown on over the air channels as well.
I think that is a big part of the growth of the views on spanish language channels.
Rudyjax
AG

Quote:

Every form of pay tv has it.
Dre_00
I agree with that. I had this conversation with my wife and I think it more or less boils down to a basic risk assessment that each person who could conceivably bring down Putin (while teamed with their peers) has to make.

What kind of life degradation am I willing to tolerate and what probability of success do I give myself if I try to maintain my current life but have to oppose Putin to do so?

If I do the mental calculus and come to the conclusion that I have a 5% chance of succeeding in opposing Putin and that failure will certainly get me killed, then I'm probably a lot more likely to tolerate a modest lifestyle in a cabin in central Russia deprived of the yacht and luxuries that the West took away from me. Not sure any of these guys are willing to die for their Gucci. I hope I'm wrong.
deadbq03
AG
That's a fair consideration, but these are guys who literally made their wealth bribing and cheating (and in many cases, also killing) their way into getting ownership of former Soviet assets.

If they have to fund a little coup to protect their wealth, they're gonna do it.
PatAg
AG
Aye Davanita said:

Quote:

So not readily accesible. When ESPN has it, they can also put big games on ABC if need be.
TRM
AG
PatAg said:

Aye Davanita said:

Quote:

So not readily accesible. When ESPN has it, they can also put big games on ABC if need be.
TNT/TBS can put it on TruTV.
ChipFTAC01
AG
PatAg said:

Aye Davanita said:

Quote:

If Monday Night Football isn't on OTA TV, I'm not gonna get too bent out of shape about USMNT games being on TBS.
Aston94
AG

Arsenal player currently on loan with Middlesbrough.
akm91
AG
The more the merrier!
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
PatAg
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

PatAg said:

Aye Davanita said:

Quote:

If Monday Night Football isn't on OTA TV, I'm not gonna get too bent out of shape about USMNT games being on TBS.
The NFL is already extremely established, and has basically all of Sunday on OTA though.

Again, I'll have no problems watching it, but they will hopefully figure out a way to make some of them games not be behind pay walls.

Though that might just be where all sports are heading.
Rudyjax
AG
Cable channels to me aren't a big deal. Behind a pay streaming service is where it is an issue in my opinion.
JJxvi
AG
I just….dont even know what to say about this Queretaro deal with regard to Mexico and playing not only internationals but regional club games there.
HotardRat
AG
JJxvi said:

I just….dont even know what to say about this Queretaro deal with regard to Mexico and playing not only internationals but regional club games there.

This. Boycott playing in Mexico. It ain't worth dying for.
PatAg
AG
JJxvi said:

Yea, its going to be interesting to see what happens with the Concacaf Champions League going forward.
Aston94
AG
JJxvi said:

It is terrible, but I think they will have trouble holding the entire country accountable for the activities of one club's fans.
JJxvi
AG
Who runs Liga MX? One clubs fans?
oh no
AG
No Weston McK and no Matt Turner or Zack Steffen and probably no Gio Reyna for the final three match days of World Cup qualifying.

Now we get to see if the player pool depth really is as good as we think or hope it is
gougler08
AG
oh no said:

No Weston McK and no Matt Turner or Zack Steffen and probably no Gio Reyna for the final three match days of World Cup qualifying.

Now we get to see if the player pool depth really is as good as we think or hope it is
Steffen is out too? Yikes
oh no
AG
Maybe it's not for certain, but he's been out for Man Sheeety
oh no
AG
Horvath or Sean Johnson to help qualify for Qatar?
ChipFTAC01
AG
oh no said:

Horvath or Sean Johnson to help qualify for Qatar?

I was looking at Forest stats today and Horvath has only started 4 games this season. 2 league games and two league cup games.
Aston94
AG
Horvath has looked good for Nottingham Forest, he has won starting job while their starter was out injured.
oh no
AG
I actually think I read that Nattingham's first choice keeper got a three match ban for red card- that's why Ethan finally got to play a few league matches. Otherwise, he'd only have a couple cup matches
Aston94
AG
Okay thanks. I knew he was out, didn't realize it was a ban. I do know he was available last night for FA cup match and Forest elected to still go with Horvath. So good news for Ethan.
TamuKid
AG
Reyna came on in the 63rd along with Haaland today and looked good and healthy. Him and Haaland had some nice combinations. One in particular resulting in a Reyna chance he sent wide. Hope he gets back into and stays in fitness and form.

Side note, didn't realize George Bello played with Belefeld. Him and Reyna swapped jerseys at the end of the game.

Also, Lennard Maloney subbed in late for BVB today, too. Putting two Americans on the field for them for the first time.
TRM
AG
Bello just transferred there in January.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.