***Official USMNT-WCQ Octagonal Thread***

187,315 Views | 3020 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cruzdoggie
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

Thunder18 said:

Thunder18 said:

Is someone going to do the *****official game thread***** to see if we can get some positive juju going?

Shoutout Jeffk for doing it
Yeah, thanks jeffk!
give that mofo a blue star. he needs more.
PatAg
AG

Important USMNT history, relevant to McKennie
Rudyjax
AG
Dust in my office?
tysker
AG
I'm still pissed at Charlie for that night. Jozy never found a teammate to play off of the way that CD did. Coulda been a dominant pair for decade.
Gordo14
tysker said:

I'm still pissed at Charlie for that night. Jozy never found a teammate to play off of the way that CD did. Coulda been a dominant pair for decade.

Yeah that run after the first two games in the Confederations Cup was a really special time as a fan of the team. Sad we didn't get that for even one World Cup.
PatAg
AG

That's FCDallas social guy

Pepi has all the confidence.
There was a FCD game, where one of the center backs hair had grown out a lot after being intitially bleached blonde. He was talking about how he wanted to cut it but wanted to wait for a win in the locker room, and Pepi told him to schedule the cut. Went out and bagged goals in the game
Rudyjax
AG
PatAg said:

That's FCDallas social guy

Pepi has all the confidence.
There was a FCD game, where one of the center backs hair had grown out a lot after being intitially bleached blonde. He was talking about how he wanted to cut it but wanted to wait for a win in the locker room, and Pepi told him to schedule the cut. Went out and bagged goals in the game
I'm going out on a limb and saying keeping him from Mexico was a huge win.
jeffk
AG
ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT

So the next set of WCQ games is October 7 (Jamaica - H), 10 (Panama - A), and 13 (Costa Rica - H).

Looking at the guys we called in for this month, who do you bring back, who do you keep at home, and who do you add?

October call-ups:

GOALKEEPERS (3):
Ethan Horvath - Nottingham Forest
Sean Johnson - New York City FC
Matt Turner - New England Revolution
Zach Steffan - Manchester City

DEFENDERS (9):
George Bello - Atlanta United
John Brooks - Wolfsburg
Mark McKenzie - Genk
Tim Ream - Fulham
Antonee Robinson - Fulham
Miles Robinson - Atlanta United
James Sands - New York City FC
DeAndre Yedlin - Galatasaray
Walker Zimmerman - Nashville SC
Sergio Dest - Barcelona

MIDFIELDERS (5):
Kellyn Acosta - Colorado Rapids
Tyler Adams - RB Leipzig
Sebastian Lletget - LA Galaxy
Cristian Roldan - Seattle Sounders
Jackson Yueill - San Jose Earthquakes
Weston McKennie - Juventus

FORWARDS (6):
Brenden Aaronson - RB Salzburg
Konrad de la Fuente - Olympique Marseille
Jordan Pefok - BSC Young Boys
Ricardo Pepi - FC Dallas
Christian Pulisic - Chelsea
Josh Sargent - Norwich City
Gio Reyna - Dortmund
Tim Weah - Lille
Furlock Bones
AG
Sitting pretty boys and girls just like we always expected. Never a doubt.
akm91
AG
jeffk said:

ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT

So the next set of WCQ games is October 7 (Jamaica - H), 10 (Panama - A), and 13 (Costa Rica - H).

Looking at the guys we called in for this month, who do you bring back, who do you keep at home, and who do you add?

October call-ups:

GOALKEEPERS (3):
Ethan Horvath Nottingham Forest
Sean Johnson New York City FC
Matt Turner New England Revolution

DEFENDERS (9):
George Bello Atlanta United
John Brooks Wolfsburg
Mark McKenzie Genk

Tim Ream Fulham
Antonee Robinson Fulham
Miles Robinson Atlanta United

James Sands New York City FC
DeAndre Yedlin Galatasaray
Walker Zimmerman Nashville SC
Sergio Dest - Barcelona

MIDFIELDERS (5):
Kellyn Acosta Colorado Rapids
Tyler Adams RB Leipzig
Sebastian Lletget LA Galaxy

Cristian Roldan Seattle Sounders
Jackson Yueill San Jose Earthquakes

FORWARDS (6):
Brenden Aaronson RB Salzburg
Konrad de la Fuente Olympique Marseille

Jordan Pefok BSC Young Boys
Ricardo Pepi FC Dallas
Christian Pulisic Chelsea

Josh Sargent Norwich City
Gio Reyna - Dortmund
Tim Weah - Lille

Highlighted ones I'd bring from this WCQ round and I'd add Chris Richards, Musah, Julian Green and possibly Miyazga depending on how he's doing in La Liga.

Would really be interested to see a backline of Dest, Robinson, Richards and Robinson in one match. Miyazga would be the depth addition as Robinson can play LCB.

Probably leave McKennie out and see if he has really learned and make him earn his way back for Nov. WCQ. Think Green may bring a bit more attacking instincts out of our mids. If Musah is healthy, you bring him in and get him acclimated to CONCACAFF, especially in preparation for Mexico in Nov.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
aggiephoenix02
Furlock Bones said:

Sitting pretty boys and girls just like we always expected. Never a doubt.
They say one good laugh a day helps your health, so thank you this Bones, that was a good hearty laugh...
KCup17
AG
I really want to see Green back in the fold. He was on an absolute tear during the end of last season. Crazy to think that he is still only 26.
fig96
AG
KCup17 said:

I really want to see Green back in the fold. He was on an absolute tear during the end of last season. Crazy to think that he is still only 26.
Wow...I felt like he had to be early 30s at least.

Can't see how it would hurt to at least give him a call up and some minutes coming up, he can't be any worse on the wing than some of the other options we've seen and I'd imagine he's got a chip on his shoulder.
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
Agree with your picks, but I'd def want to see Hoppe on the roster. He gives you some versatility, and I'd like to see him get minutes at the 9 with a strong supporting cast.

I'd also consider Sam Vines at LB (depth guy, backup to Antonee) Or maybe bring an extra RB (Cannon/Moore) if you're still toying w Dest at LB (but I prefer him at RB).

Long story short though, stop screwing around w formations. I think it's counterproductive for short camps and players that don't come from a cohesive playing style.
mrmill3218
AG
Pick your best 11, put them in a 4-3-3 and tell them to go play.

Pulisic - Pepi - Reyna

McKennie - Adams - Musah

Robinson - Brooks - Robinson - Dest

GK

Subs:

Hoppe
Aaronson
Yedlin
Richards
Holmes
Weah
Sargent
Morales
Konrad
Green
PatAg
AG
H.E. Pennypacker said:

Agree with your picks, but I'd def want to see Hoppe on the roster. He gives you some versatility, and I'd like to see him get minutes at the 9 with a strong supporting cast.

I'd also consider Sam Vines at LB (depth guy, backup to Antonee) Or maybe bring an extra RB (Cannon/Moore) if you're still toying w Dest at LB (but I prefer him at RB).

Long story short though, stop screwing around w formations. I think it's counterproductive for short camps and players that don't come from a cohesive playing style.
I think Sam Vines hurt himself in training already
jeffk
AG
I think we need to bring in Zardes in October as well. He may not be needed on the field, but I think the FWs need someone around who's been through WCQ.
PatAg
AG
jeffk said:

I think we need to bring in Zardes in October as well. He may not be needed on the field, but I think the FWs need someone around who's been through WCQ.
I agree. In an ideal world, our young players push Zardes, Lletget, Roldan out of the starting lineup and potentially off the game day roster. However, we have to live in reality and right now you know what those players can give you. I dont think those young guns have progressed enough yet.

Zardes isn't going to make any world class plays, but he is going to work hard and make the opposing teams defense work hard. He pulls people out of position to open up play for others. He has decent to good hold up play. He has learned how to move dangerously in the box and off the ball as a forward (the primary thing Sargent is strugglig at, and most young forwards lack in their game)
corkscrewduck
jeffk said:

ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT

October call-ups:

GOALKEEPERS (3):
Ethan Horvath - Nottingham Forest
Sean Johnson - New York City FC
Matt Turner - New England Revolution

DEFENDERS (9):
George Bello - Atlanta United
John Brooks - Wolfsburg
Mark McKenzie - Genk
Tim Ream - Fulham
Antonee Robinson - Fulham
Miles Robinson - Atlanta United
James Sands - New York City FC
DeAndre Yedlin - Galatasaray
Walker Zimmerman - Nashville SC
Sergio Dest - Barcelona

MIDFIELDERS (5):
Kellyn Acosta - Colorado Rapids
Tyler Adams - RB Leipzig
Sebastian Lletget - LA Galaxy
Cristian Roldan - Seattle Sounders
Jackson Yueill - San Jose Earthquakes

FORWARDS (6):
Brenden Aaronson - RB Salzburg
Konrad de la Fuente - Olympique Marseille
Jordan Pefok - BSC Young Boys
Ricardo Pepi - FC Dallas
Christian Pulisic - Chelsea
Josh Sargent - Norwich City
Gio Reyna - Dortmund
Tim Weah - Lille
GK's:
Turner *
Steffen
Horvath

Defenders:
A Robinson *
Dest *
M Robinson *
Brooks *
Richards
Mckenzie
Zimmerman
Yedlin
Cannon

Midfielders:
Acosta
Adams *
McKennie *
Lletget
Musah
Reyna *

Forwards:
Pulisic *
Konrad
Pepi *
Dike
Aaronson *

Starters are starred. Id prefer richards to brooks but GGG aint doing that
KCup17
AG
Exactly! It doesn't help that he's been balding since he was like 23. Opposite of a baby face.

He definitely is a step up from a player like Yueill. I'd even put him on par with Lletget in ability and pace possibly even better off of set pieces.
oh no
AG
mrmill3218 said:

Pulisic - Pepi - Reyna

McKennie - Adams - Musah

GK

Subs:

Hoppe
Aaronson
Yedlin
Richards
Holmes
Weah
Sargent
Morales
Konrad
Green
I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of great players currently in the pool, but I rank them like this:

#9 CFs:
Pepi, Sargent, Pefok, Dike, Gioacchini, Soto, Zardes, Altidore

#7 / #11 wingers:
Pulisic, Reyna, Weah, Hoppe. Aaronson, Konrad, Arriola, Tyler Boyd, Jordan Morris?
- how are guys like Llanez coming along? Does Williams get another chance?

#8 / #10 central midfielder / attacking central MFs:
McKennie, Musah, Busio, Lletget, Roldan, Mihailovi (Pulisic and Reyna can also play #10)
- does Julian Green get a chance? How are guys like Cappis, Clark, Ledezma coming along?

#6 holding/defensive central MF:
Adams, Acosta, Sands?, Pomykal?, Yueill? Trapp ?
- does Duane Holmes get a chance? Not sure if he's more of a 6 or an 8. Weakest position right now. Adams is a star one of the best players in the pool.. behind him- need to develop more depth, stat. Acosta has fared well the last couple call-ups.

#3 LB/ LWB:
Antonee, Dest, Vines, Bello, Gloster? (Ream can also play LB)
- always a challenging position to build depth. Antonee blossoming before our eyes in Sept 2021 has been critical, but like with Adams/Acosta at 6, need more talented depth here.

#2 RB/ RWB:
Dest, Shaq Moore, Cannon, Yedlin, Reynolds

#4 / #5 CBs:
Miles Robinson, Mark McKenzie, Matt Miazga, Aaron Long, Chris Richards, John Brooks, Ream, Zimmerman (Sands can also play CB)
- feels like Brooks is in decline. Want to see young Richards get calls. How about CCV or Palmer-Brown?

#1 GK:
Steffen, Turner, Horvath, Sean Johnson, Hamid

Mathguy64
AG
For now Turner is my GK. I want a national team GK who is playing and who is hot. Steffan may be at Citeh but he's not logging minutes unless it's the gummy bear cup.
fig96
AG
Mathguy64 said:

For now Turner is my GK. I want a national team GK who is playing and who is hot. Steffan may be at Citeh but he's not logging minutes unless it's the gummy bear cup.
Seconded, the job is Turner's till he shows me it's not. I'd be very interested to give Horvath a start or two as well.
fig96
AG
PatAg said:

jeffk said:

I agree. In an ideal world, our young players push Zardes, Lletget, Roldan out of the starting lineup and potentially off the game day roster. However, we have to live in reality and right now you know what those players can give you. I dont think those young guns have progressed enough yet.

Zardes isn't going to make any world class plays, but he is going to work hard and make the opposing teams defense work hard. He pulls people out of position to open up play for others. He has decent to good hold up play. He has learned how to move dangerously in the box and off the ball as a forward (the primary thing Sargent is strugglig at, and most young forwards lack in their game)
Zardes is also a handful if he's coming on in the last 20-30 minutes of a match, his pace against tired legs is a great matchup to be able to bring in.

I don't think he's really a great striker, but he does what he does very well (run at goal fast af and make defenders work).
akm91
AG
oh no said:

mrmill3218 said:

Pulisic - Pepi - Reyna

McKennie - Adams - Musah

GK

Subs:

Hoppe
Aaronson
Yedlin
Richards
Holmes
Weah
Sargent
Morales
Konrad
Green
I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of great players currently in the pool, but I rank them like this:

#9 CFs:

#7 / #11 wingers:
Pulisic, Reyna, Weah, Hoppe. Aaronson, Konrad, Arriola, Tyler Boyd, Jordan Morris?

McKennie, Musah, Busio, Lletget, Roldan, Mihailovi (Pulisic and Reyna can also play #10)
- does Julian Green get a chance? How are guys like Cappis, Clark, Ledezma coming along?

- does Duane Holmes get a chance? Not sure if he's more of a 6 or an 8. Weakest position right now. Adams is a star one of the best players in the pool.. behind him- need to develop more depth, stat. Acosta has fared well the last couple call-ups.

#3 LB/ LWB:
- always a challenging position to build depth. Antonee blossoming before our eyes in Sept 2021 has been critical, but like with Adams/Acosta at 6, need more talented depth here.

#2 RB/ RWB:

#4 / #5 CBs:
Miles Robinson, Mark McKenzie, Matt Miazga, Aaron Long, Chris Richards, John Brooks, Ream, Zimmerman (Sands can also play CB)
- feels like Brooks is in decline. Want to see young Richards get calls. How about CCV or Palmer-Brown?

#1 GK:

I'd rank them this way:

Striker - Pepi, Sargent, Zardes, Pefok, Dike/Giaocchini
Winger - Pulisic, Reyna, Weah, Aaronson, Weah, Konrad/Hoppe, Aariola, Morris
CM - McKennie, Musah, Lleget, Roldan, Busio, Williamson/Green
DM - Adams, Acosta, Yueill?????
RB - Dest, Yedlin, Moore, Cannon, Reynolds
CB - Robinson, Brooks, McKenzie, Richards, Zimmerman/Ream, Miazga
LB - Robinson, Vines/Bello
GK - Tuner, Steffen/Horvath
jeffk
AG
Yeah, I think Sargent has a higher ceiling at the position than Zardes does, but Zardes plays the position better and has really great off-ball movement; which is something Sargent really struggles with IMO.
TRM
AG
akm91 said:

oh no said:

mrmill3218 said:

Pulisic - Pepi - Reyna

McKennie - Adams - Musah

GK

Subs:

Hoppe
Aaronson
Yedlin
Richards
Holmes
Weah
Sargent
Morales
Konrad
Green

#9 CFs:

#7 / #11 wingers:

#3 LB/ LWB:

#2 RB/ RWB:

#4 / #5 CBs:

#1 GK:

I'd rank them this way:

Striker - Pepi, Sargent, Zardes, Pefok, Dike/Giaocchini
Winger - Pulisic, Weah, Aaronson, Weah, Konrad/Hoppe, Aariola, Morris
CM - McKennie, Musah, Lleget, Roldan, Busio, Williamson/Green
DM - Adams, Acosta, Yueill?????
RB - Dest, Yedlin, Moore, Cannon, Reynolds
CB - Robinson, Brooks, McKenzie, Richards, Zimmerman/Ream, Miazga
LB - Robinson, Vines/Bello
GK - Tuner, Steffen/Horvath

No Reyna?
oh no
AG
i agree with GK - Turner has earned first choice #1 for now. I'd be okay with Steffen or Horvath as well though.

You don't have Reyna in the squad at all.

Shaq Moore and Reggie Cannon are in-process of jumping Yedlin if they haven't already. Yedlin's purpose was concacaf experience; not best 11 IMO

I still think Miazga is one of our best CB options and Brooks is going to fall out of favor soon due to lack of pace. What ever happened to Aaron Long? Is he past his major injury from last year? He was playing well for USMNT and NYRB had to shut down EPL offers for him supposedly. He's got to be ahead of Zimmer and Ream still.

akm91
AG
Brainfart. Thought I had him in.
PatAg
AG
Saw a tweet from Dortmund that estimates Reyna out for a month..hope that estimate is off by a couple weeks.
Rudyjax
AG
PatAg said:

Saw a tweet from Dortmund that estimates Reyna out for a month..hope that estimate is off by a couple weeks.
dayum
Mathguy64
AG
Covid issues and injuries from WCQs are going to really mount up for clubs everywhere.
oh no
AG
I'm sure clubs like BVB and Chelsea don't like their players coming back from being concacaf'd
Aston94
AG
Well, as predicted, we finished the first set of 3 games with 5 points. Now the wild ass circus that was the last week was not how I saw us getting to 5 points, but I will take it.

Current Standings:

1. Mexico. 7 points (+/- 2). Mexico did what it was supposed to do in the first three games--win at home and at least tie on the road, but they got bonus points for a win in Costa Rica. So El Tri is sitting pretty at the top of the group, having played 2 road matches.

2. Canada. 5 points (+/- 3). Canada did not look great in its home opener v. Honduras, falling behind early and then having to come back for a tie. After that it got a great result in tying the US in Nashville and demolishing El Salvador in Toronto. Good start for the Canadians

3. USA. 5 points (+/- 3). Well if you need to know more about the American escapades over the last week just read the prior 24 pages on this thread. Unbelievable. Somehow this team still got to 5 points while playing 2 of the 3 matches in Central America and is in a qualification position. Let's hope the next round is much more smooth.

4. Panama. 5 points (+/- 3). Panama also won one and tied 2, but their two ties were at home, and their win was in Kingston, Jamaica, where they beat up on the Reggae Boyz 3-0. Panama's tie with Mexico was a nice finish to their first three games, and they have been my surprise team so far.

5. Costa Rica. 2 Points (+/- -1). Costa Rica began play travelling to Panama, where they claimed a nice away point. All looked good for the Ticos as they had their last 2 matches at home. Unfortunately those results did not go well, as they lost to Mexico 1-0 and then followed that up with a disappointing 1-1 tie against Jamaica, so there could be trouble in Costa Rica.

6. Honduras. 2 points (+/- -3). Honduras started off well, getting a vital road tie in Toronto and then another tie in El Salvador. So the stage was set for them to have their first home match against the US and really put themselves up in the top echelon of the group. It looked very promising at half, but the second half last night could not have gone worse, conceding 4 goals at home in a half and losing 4-1. Apparently there are calls for the coach's head, so we will see where Honduras goes from here.

7. El Salvador. 2 points (+/- -3). El Salvador also started well, tying their first two matches, albeit both at home. But Canada humbled them last night, and recovering from this hole will be difficult for El Salvador.

8. Jamaica. 1 point (+/- -4). If you had told the Reggae Boyz going into this round they would have a hard fought 2-1 loss in Mexico City to El Tri and a 1-1 draw with Costa Rica in San Jose, I am sure they would be delighted. Unfortunately, those two matches of promise were surrounded by a humiliating 3-0 home loss to Panama. Jamaica will be in desperate straights when we get back to Concacaf play in October.

Second Set of Games

This set of games is where the U.S. needs to open a gap over the pack, as they play arguably several of the weaker teams in the Octagonal and get 2 of the three matches at home.

Oct. 7 vs. Jamaica (@ Austin) (#50 World Ranking, #4 CONCACAF)Jamaica challenged the US in the quarterfinals of the Gold Cup before a late goal from Matt Hoppe sent the US through. It will be a much different squad the Reggae Boyz face in Austin, and a three point outcome would be very much in need.

Oct. 10 - at Panama (#74 World Ranking, #8 CONCACAF). Panama are a bit of a team on the rebuild after their qualification for the World Cup in 2018 when Los Canaleros were surprise World Cup qualifiers at the Americans' expense. The US has fared better in Panama over the years than in other Central American stops, going 3-0-2 in Panama in WCQ. Will be interesting to see how deep Berhalter goes in his roster, but I could see another Kellyn Acosta type defensive battle here.

Oct. 13 - vs. Costa Rica (@Columbus) (#44 World Ranking, #3 CONCACAF) The last home qualifier against Los Ticos was a disastera 2-0 loss at Red Bull Arena in Sept. 2017 that cost Bruce Arena's men decisive points. Costa Rica is not the same team they once were, and again this third game in a set of three is where the US depth should shine though. Costa Rica will travel to Honduras and play El Salvador at home before the trip to Columbus.

See US finishing these three games 2-0-1 (7 points) for a total of 12 points.
Rudyjax
AG
Agreed...anything less than 7 points is not good.

What was the line with the top 3? What was the significance of getting into the top 3?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.