***Official USMNT-WCQ Octagonal Thread***

187,318 Views | 3020 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cruzdoggie
JJxvi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Top 3 are the qualifying slots. 4th qualifies for a playoff
oh no
AG
Kevin the 3-legged dog said:

What was the line with the top 3? What was the significance of getting into the top 3?
top 3 in the octagonal are automatically going to to Qatar next year for the WC... or are you talking about something else?

4th in concacaf goes to a home-home playoff with a team in another federation for a chance to go to Qatar.

USA's loss to T&T combined with Mex and Costa Rica both losing games they should have won on the same night caused us to fall to 5th on goal diff four years ago. Should never ever happen.
Rudyjax
AG
oh no said:

Kevin the 3-legged dog said:

What was the line with the top 3? What was the significance of getting into the top 3?
top 3 in the octagonal are automatically going to to Qatar next year for the WC... or are you talking about something else?

4th in concacaf goes to a home-home playoff with a team in another federation for a chance to go to Qatar.

USA's loss to T&T combined with Mex and Costa Rica both losing games they should have won on the same night caused us to fall to 5th on goal diff four years ago. Should never ever happen.
Oh....at the end of qualifying. So nothing now. That was confusing to me.
oh no
AG
I wouldn't say "nothing now". 14 total matches. Only 11 remain at this point. They are all important.

first window of 3 match days is in the books.

a 3 match day window in October,

a 2 match day window in November,

a 3 match day window end of Jan/ beg of Feb,

final 3 match day window in March

I'd rather USA not go into the final window needing 7 or 9 (or the final match needing 1 or 3) to qualify again.
Rudyjax
AG
oh no said:

I wouldn't say "nothing now". 14 total matches. Only 11 remain at this point. They are all important.

first window of 3 match days is in the books.

a 3 match day window in October,

a 2 match day window in November,

a 3 match day window end of Jan/ beg of Feb,

final 3 match day window in March

I'd rather USA not go into the final window needing 7 or 9 (or the final match needing 1 or 3) to qualify again.

The points matter but I thiought there was something after this round that it mattered.
PatAg
AG
Nope. The other thing will be misleading at times is half the teams get 2 home games each window. So Canada also has 5, but had 2 home games.
theNetSmith
AG
just texted my sons to see if they want to (and can) go to Austin for the Jamaica game on Oct 7.

anyone else planning to be there?

Rudyjax
AG
theNetSmith said:

just texted my sons to see if they want to (and can) go to Austin for the Jamaica game on Oct 7.

$$$
akm91
AG
PatAg said:

Nope. The other thing will be misleading at times is half the teams get 2 home games each window. So Canada also has 5, but had 2 home games.

Yes and Canada's away trip was to Nashville so they had a very easy travel window. It'll be harder for them next window with two away trips (Mexico and Jamaica). After the even numbered windows, the standings will be more representative of how teams stands for qualification.

Here's the WCQ Schedule: CONCACAAF WCQ Schedule 2021-2022

Our March window is brutal (@ Mexico, vs Panama, @ Costa Rica) so we better have qualification wrapped up by then.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
fig96
AG
theNetSmith said:

Yup, got seats when they dropped a few weeks ago. They weren't cheap at retail, curious what the aftermarket markup will be.
akm91
AG
Looks like Pulisic will be out around 2 weeks. He'll be cutting it close again to get back to fitness for Oct. window.

Quote:

"For Christian unfortunately he came yesterday on crutches, and we have an ankle injury with about 10 days."

Which games will Pulisic miss?
As well as the Aston Villa encounter, Pulisic will miss his side's opening game of the Champions League group stage against Zenit.

He will also be out for the away match against Tottenham but could return for the Carabao Cup clash with Villa on September 22.

Pulisic to miss about 2 weeks
DeangeloVickers
AG
I'll be there
theNetSmith
AG
fig96 said:

theNetSmith said:

Yup, got seats when they dropped a few weeks ago. They weren't cheap at retail, curious what the aftermarket markup will be.
I found (and was prepared to pay) roughly $250/per for front row, upper deck, home side "50yd line" section.. but to their credit, one of my sons (FTAC '23) declined due to not wanting to miss an afternoon class and the other (FTAC '24) declined due to a church group meeting.

Looks like I'll be streaming it.
aggiephoenix02
theNetSmith said:

fig96 said:

theNetSmith said:

I found (and was prepared to pay) roughly $250/per for front row, upper deck, home side "50yd line" section.. but to their credit, one of my sons (FTAC '23) declined due to not wanting to miss an afternoon class and the other (FTAC '24) declined due to a church group meeting.

You have to teach them to set their priorities, dad...
Rudyjax
AG
theNetSmith said:

fig96 said:

theNetSmith said:

Pretty sure home games will be on Fox Soeits.
theNetSmith
AG
that's just it, tho.. both of them excelled on their club teams and one was selected for regional ODP in Alabama 2 years in a row.. I don't have to instill a love for the game or an appreciation for the USMNT in either of them. If their priorities (where this opportunity is concerned) are elsewhere, I will respect it.

that said, I really wanted to go. lol.
PatAg
AG

Let's gooooo
PatAg
AG
jeffk
AG
Throwing the question out even though I already know what the consensus will probably be, but how does everyone feel about the move to make the World Cup an every two years event instead of every four?
Mathguy64
AG
Dumb. Money grab. Power grab by FIFA. Have I mentioned money grab? Just another way for people in FIFA ti get wined dined and bribed. And it's a money grab.
TamuKid
AG
jeffk said:

Throwing the question out even though I already know what the consensus will probably be, but how does everyone feel about the move to make the World Cup an every two years event instead of every four?

Terrible idea. There's no good reason for it. I'm not even sure it would be a good money move, honestly. Would ruin the spectacle.
aggiephoenix02
jeffk said:

It takes most confederations 1-2 years just to qualify for the WorldCup. How is it even feasible to have a national team play for qualifying that often?!?!

Logistically it's not even feasible...
akm91
AG
US Soccer's podcast with Bobb Warshaw and Berhalter dropped. It's pretty interesting to listen.
jeffk
AG
Pretty good article on the upcoming Oct qualifying window. UK's "red list" rule is going to bite us for that Panama away match.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2021/09/21/usmnt-october-world-cup-qualifying-squad-hoppe-weah-musah
akm91
AG
This is where all the depth needs to step up due to injuries and yellow card accumulation concerns. Assuming Berhalters calls in the same group from last window who are available, what are the new additions for this window?

GK
Johnson, Guzan, or Hamid?

FB
Scally?

CB
Miyazga? CCV? Both? (Ream faces travel restriction and Brooks has a YC)

MF
Musah. Green/Busio? (Adams has a YC) Just not Yueill!!!!!!!!!

Wingers
Weah, Ariola and Hoppe

Forward
Zardes (Sargent faces travel restriction)

TamuKid
AG
akm91 said:

This is where all the depth needs to step up. Looks like Musah, Weah, Ariola and Hoppe will all be available this window as they have all played for their clubs since their injury/hiatus.

Have some YC concerns, especially with Mexico in the November window that we'll have to be careful with some key players like Adams and Brooks.

I'd say we'd have to call in Scally for LB depth and cover for RB as well. Green/Busio for MF depth?

Guess we'll see at least another MLS GK in this window. Johnson? Guzan? Hamid?
One thing the first window should have taught Berhalter is that he needs to make sure he has more fullback depth.

Last time he brought Bello, Robinson, Yedlin, and Dest.
I think he counts on being able to play Ream, Acosta, or Adams there... but that's proven to be a poor plan.

He needs to bring a 5th back out of Cannon, Moore, Scally, Vines this next window.
I don't understand why he brings 6 CB's and 4 backs.
jeffk
AG
My guess is he did/does that because he's not completely sold on the 4 back set-up and wanted to be able to play 3 CBs. After how that looked last go-round, hopefully he ditches it and sticks with bringing in more outside backs.
oh no
AG
I like the idea of 3 CBs and wing backs because we have some really talented fullbacks who like to attack - Dest, Shaq, etc. ...but it clearly didn't work.

How much does YC accumulation really factor into the October window when looking ahead to MX in the November window?

I would think Vines and Shaq at LB and RB are ripe to make the squad now, ---at least Vines at LB given both Antonee and Ream's likely travel restriction from the UK?
tysker
AG
Walker Zimmerman was brought in and didnt play during the last window.
I think Gregg likes players with flexibility that can play multiple positions. The downside is Gregg is then able to tinker with his 'utility' guys and makes things more complex than they need to be.
PatAg
AG
oh no said:

I like the idea of 3 CBs and wing backs because we have some really talented fullbacks who like to attack - Dest, Shaq, etc. ...but it clearly didn't work.

How much does YC accumulation really factor into the October window when looking ahead to MX in the November window?

I would think Vines and Shaq at LB and RB are ripe to make the squad now, ---at least Vines at LB given both Antonee and Ream's likely travel restriction from the UK?
Its hard to say for sure, with so little data, but it really seemed to me like a big issue was playing 3 CBs but NOT playing Adams at the 6 in front of them. Our midfield just got worked centrally in that first half with Sands in there.
PatAg
AG
I imagine the Panama game was one we were already more likely to rest Pulisic and some of the other players anyways.
So this will just force Pulisic, Antonee Robinson, Tim Ream, Zack Steffen, Josh Sargent and Ethan Horvath to not be available for that match. I would think the plan would then be to figure out who you want to start in that match, and what depth off the bench you would intend to have available.
Which should result in a larger pool of players being called in than the first WCQ window.

oh no
AG
is there a limit you can call in for camp and then you can only name 23 to the squad?
akm91
AG
jeffk said:

My guess is he did/does that because he's not completely sold on the 4 back set-up and wanted to be able to play 3 CBs. After how that looked last go-round, hopefully he ditches it and sticks with bringing in more outside backs.
I like the 3 CB's but never ever have Brooks in the middle of the 3 man backline again! Brooks doesn't have the discipline nor the recovery speed to play that role. Robinson should be the automatic starter as the central defender in the 3 man backline (don't think Sands is ready to play that role in WCQ) with either Zimmerman or McKenzie as the right side CB.

akm91
AG
oh no said:

is there a limit you can call in for camp and then you can only name 23 to the squad?
I don't think so but the numbers for camp can't be too large to make it unmanageable in the short time they have. I was surprised Berhalter didn't name 28 last time.
akm91
AG
Quote:

Mexico is the first match in the November window so the CR match in October window will factor into YC accumulation equation.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.